The Summer I Met You

By MissJina

Starlien actress Lennox Taylor has it all; fame, fortune, and the most amazing fans in the world. Without war... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
EPILOGUE
Authors Note

CHAPTER 35

404 32 2
By MissJina

 Lennox's dads are awesome, and right now I'm entertained by their playful bickering while we all make dinner and squeeze in a little game time with Elli. I've been here for almost two hours, and everything is almost done. Every time one of them makes a joke or throws out a catch phrase Lennox's face turns pink. A few weeks ago, I would have never looked at her and thought how amazing she looks when her cheeks flush pink, but now I can't stop. I give her a once over, starting at her long legs, and up the rest of her body. When my eyes reach her face, she's watching me. I gaze at her soft puffy lips, and all I can think about is taking her upstairs and kissing her all night.

I shake my head of those thoughts especially with her dads in the room and continue my work. Walker has me grading cheese and has Lennox setting the table with Elli on her tail. She adds an extra three settings, and I'm not sure why. Part of me hopes it's not Chase Dawson joining us. I know they had a fight over the phone, but I worry because I'm me and he's - well – he's Chase Dawson, teen heart throb.

She can feel the weight of my stare on her back, and turns to give a soft smile, but it doesn't reach her eyes. What I wouldn't give to talk to Chase and give him a piece of my mind. He's messing with Lennox, and I hate seeing her so on edge about it. At least that's what I think is bothering her. The past few days she's been a little distracted and I hope it's not for that reason.

Walker catches me watching Lennox and is grinning like a madman. I like both of her dads, but Walker's personality kind of reminds me of my uncle, carefree and fun.

The doorbell rings and Lennox almost drops the bowl she's holding. She steadies it, but her hands tremble under its weight. She drops it onto the table and leaves the room in a hurry.

I'm done with the cheese and start to help her dad bring the food to the table. As I set the pot of sauce down on the potholder a familiar laugh almost brings me to my knees. They wobble, so I grip the back of the chair to keep steady. There's no way that voice could be here in this house, my mind must be playing tricks. I turn to help grab something else when Lennox comes walking in holding hands with my mom. If I were holding anything I would have surely dropped it. I'm frozen in place halfway between the kitchen table and the island. Mom squeezes Lennox's hand, and let's go. Behind them Uncle Rob, and Monica appear, both finding it hard to contain their smiles.

"Mom!"

Her eyes are filled with tears, and I can't control it, mine sting with them too.

"Surprise." Her voice sounds small.

My feet finally start moving, and I head straight for her. The minute I'm within reach I hold my arms out and fall into her embrace. Her sobs are loud in my ear, and when she pulls away to look at me a huge smile forms on her face, causing her newly formed wrinkles to show. The last few years have taken a toll on her.

"How? Why? Who? What, what are you doing here?"

I'm finding it hard to speak. I wipe some stray tears that fall. Behind mom Lennox is standing there with tears in her own eyes and a huge smile on her face.

"It took some convincing, but your beautiful girlfriend, and her wonderful dads had a big hand in getting me here." She looks between Lennox's dads and Lennox.

"And your uncle." She reaches back, punching him lightly in the stomach. "He might have helped with that a little too."

My eyes go to Lennox, she's still behind mom. Her tears have dried but her brows pinch together.

"You did this?" I ask.

She fidgets with her fingers and shifts on her feet. Her head slowly nods, like she's embarrassed to admit that it was all her. I don't see how she could feel embarrassed, this is the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me.

"It was all Lennox," Uncle Rob says, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Mom steps aside, and I slowly walk towards Lennox.

"You did this, for me?" I ask again, still in a bit of shock from the surprise.

She bites her bottom lip, as tears bubble along the rim of her eye.

"Lennox I..."

Just saying thank you is not enough to express how grateful I am for what she has done for me. I need to show her instead. I close the distance between us forgetting everyone in the room and press my lips against hers. She gasps the minute our lips touch. I don't feel comfortable diving in any deeper with her father glaring at the back of my head, so I press into her a little harder than pull away. I'll have to really thank her later. I keep her at a short distance then rub my thumb over her cheek.

"Thank you," I say, holding her face in my hands.

This girl amazes me more every day. Relief floods over me, and I can breathe easier knowing that this was the reason she has been so distracted lately.

"So, I guess it was a good surprise then?" She shrugs her shoulders, as I continue to hold onto her.

"The best surprise I've ever gotten" I say, my voice wavering.

I lean forward and place another soft kiss against her lips, then turn to face her dads. Walker has his hands together like he was clapping with excitement, and her dad stands tall, but looks relaxed with a smile on his face.

"I don't know how to thank both of you."

I step towards them. Her dad places a hand on Walker's shoulders.

"Lennox came to us and asked if she could use some of her money towards your mom's ticket. She explained to us a bit about what was going on," her dad says.

Walker adds. "We of course had to discuss it. We don't like her just using her savings for just anything."

"Walker and I both agreed that we would allow her to do this. Max you've been such a blessing to have around. Elli loves having you to play with, and I've never seen my daughter happier. We were happy to do it for you, and for your lovely mother," her father finishes.

Both mom and Lennox are sniffling behind me, and even through the tears I'm able to smile too.

"Thank you both for everything. My mom, dinner, and just everything. It means a lot to me to have my mother here.".

"We know son," they both say with a smile.

"Would it be totally rude if I just helped myself?" Uncle Rob cuts in.

He grunts loudly. Monica most likely just punched him in the gut.

"Go right ahead, everything is ready to eat," her dad says.

Everyone starts for the table, but I head back for Lennox. She's still in the doorway watching everything unfold. I take her hand in mine and rub my thumb against the back of her hand. Her eyes remain on our hands, and she shivers from my touch, it makes me want to pull her away for a few moments to give her a proper thank you.

"Can I steal you away?" I whisper.

Her cheeks turn a shade of pink. She doesn't hesitate to tug at my hand to pull me down the hall. She drags me into the living room and over to the couch.

"There are words I want to say to you, but I'm not ready to scare you away just yet," I say, meaning every word.

I'm shocked that the "L" word even crosses my mind, but it's what I feel for her even more so after what she's done for me.

"How about you just kiss me like you came in here to do." Her voice has an edge to it I've yet to hear.

I don't waste any more time. I reach around the back of her head and dig my fingers into her hair. I don't give her a chance to say anything more. I'm anxious to feel her lips on mine again.

My entire body shakes with adrenaline as I slip my tongue into her mouth. The moment our tongues intertwine I fall deeper into her. My body awakens and I'm starting to feel things that I never expected.

"Bombs away!"

Elli yells running across the living room to jump on the couch cushions behind me. I pull away, not finished. My eyes narrow at her, she's biting down on her bottom lip with a smirk.

"Hey there buddy."

"Dinner ready, you sit next to me?" He asks.

"Sure, of course. If that's okay with Lennox?" I glance up at her.

"Of course." She smiles.

Elli grabs hold of my hand and pulls me towards the kitchen for food. It's still a shock to me when I walk in and see mom sitting at the table laughing with Lennox's dads. It freezes me in my spot. Lennox comes up behind me and rests her chin on my shoulder.

"I like what I see," I whisper.

"Me too, I could get used to this," she whispered back.

I reach for one last kiss and the three of us make our way to the table to have dinner with our families.

***

Later that night back at Uncle Rob's I'm sitting on the couch watching some TV when mom comes over. I've given up my room for her and took up residence on Uncle Rob's couch. She sits down next to me and wraps an arm around me.

"Hey sweetheart, it's so surreal being here right now," she says.

I rest my head on her shoulder. Mom's touch is so comforting I'd almost forgotten how much I've missed her. It really does feel surreal, the thought of being able to show her why my summers here make me happy.

She seems calm, and I know I shouldn't bring it up, but I feel like it's now or never. I have to tell her about dad. I haven't heard from him since the last phone call. I need to figure out if I did call him if mom would be upset with me.

"Hey mom," I say, lifting my head.

She sighs deeply. "Yeah?"

"I need to tell you something and I don't want you to get mad at me for not telling you, but..."

Mom puts a hand on my knee to stop it from shaking. She smiles with her whole face bringing a sense of calm over me.

"It's dad, he reached out. I called him back. I didn't say anything, I couldn't say anything." I can't help the tremble in my voice.

Mom squeezes my knee.

"Would you be angry if I called him again?" I ask.

I cringe, waiting for her to be angry or tell me no, but when I look at her, her features fall soft, and her lips twitch upward.

"Maxy, I could never be angry with you for talking to your father," she wipes the tears that fall from my eyes. "That's your father. If you want a relationship with him, I won't stop you. I'm the one who has issues with him, not you."

She takes a deep breath before continuing, "He loves you Max, he really does. I won't come between a father and his son. Unless he hurt you, which sure you are hurt by him leaving, but he never physically or mentally abused you in any way. I'm not mad, and I won't hate you for it. I love you, and you do what you need to make yourself happy."

Mom sighs and pulls me into her, she lightly cries as she holds me. I don't mean to sob, but hearing those words brings on so many feelings. The hate I felt for dad when he left mom, the need to protect her, and the deep sadness I felt for the awful situation my family went through. I kept so many things hidden deep, like the fact that I truly did miss dad was hidden there as well.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner," I sniff, wiping some more tears that fall.

"Max, don't apologize. When you're ready, call him, reach out, go and see him. I'll support you every step of the way," she says.

I know she means it. Her voice remains strong. Mom has changed this summer, not a whole lot, but I see some of the old her shining through the darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335 48 23
When Lisa Winters gets into a car accident, because of her fucked-up mother; her whole world flips upside down. When Lisa and Chase finally admit the...
HONESTLY By Sunny Birch

General Fiction

911 2 26
Nicky Peters sets out on an emotional roller coaster when she creates a melody from an old high school journal entry which develops into her debut so...
66.4K 1.6K 34
Talia McKinley's life was anything but simple. Working hard to try and pay bills for her and her mother while her mom was off every night excessively...
6.1K 187 62
Two teenagers fight for their right to just be in love, no matter the consequences. This is their story, two high school sweethearts with a nine mont...