Life in Hiding

By Honey_Money_

Book 3 in the "Life in-" series Sage Forest Rhodes thought his entire life was planned out. That was before... More

Master Reading List
Welcome
1 ~ Enough
2 ~ Frankenstein
3 ~ Carrots
4 ~ Plan
5 ~ Get Out
6 ~ Chloroplast
7 ~ Skate
8 ~ Bad Day
9 ~ Who
10 ~ Deal
11 ~ Quit
12 ~ Steps
13 ~ Laughing
14 ~ Belong
15 ~ Scared
16 ~ Biscuit
17 ~ Big Hands
19 ~ New Man
20 ~ Pickle
21 ~ House
22 ~ TikTok
23 ~ Stagnant
24 ~ Garlic
25 ~ Almost
26 ~ Why
27 ~ Beautiful
28 ~ Uglies
29 ~ Picnic
30 ~ Pixie
31 ~ Pillow
32 ~ House
33 ~ Miss You
34 ~ Naked
35 ~ Visit
36 ~ Chocolate
37 ~ Bull Shit
Announcement - Please Read
38 ~ Type
39 ~ Horror
40 ~ Fluffy

18 ~ Name

17.8K 999 1.3K
By Honey_Money_

The sounds of pans crashing and people laughing pulls me from my bed, actually the blow up mattress on Saffron's floor, far too early.

Throwing a sweatshirt on, I blindly wander downstairs. Somewhere between a yawn and checking to see if my pits stink, I end up in the kitchen. Meaning I'm also stuck in the crossfire of a kitchen fight.

"Maybe if you weren't so bitter, I wouldn't have mistaken your back as my coffee mug." Avery snaps, popping her hip as she glares down at Clay Walker.

I get nervous for her as I take him in. He's literally huge. Word on the street is he'll be nominated for the Heisman, an impressive feat for a defensive player. On the field he's an absolute monster, some people runaway from him, and my idiotic, stubborn cousin just poured coffee down his back.

It was nice to have the two years where we actually liked her, I'll remember her fondly. Everyone else just smirks, Nina, Clay's sister that looks nothing like him, slides Gabe $10.

Clay stands up to his full height and, while I have an inch or two on him, he could kick my ass and I'd probably thank him.

"You should really lighten up, Blondie." He reaches back and next thing I know creamer is being poured on my cousin's very blonde hair.

As her enraged squeals mix with laughter, Ashton jumps to his feet.  "Twins, please tell me you're recording or no Christmas presents."

"Hell yeah, we did." Sterling grins.

"And you don't control our presents, Scar does." Silver slaps Ashton's back.

"Don't disrespect me in my girlfriend's own home!" He shouts, hitting him back.

"Do we have any cream left or do I have to drink my coffee as bitter as Clay?" I ask, pouring myself a cup from whatever is left over.

The terrifying monster turns to me and just when I'm prepared to drop my mug and run, he shakes  the container and hands it to me. "If that's not enough, you can always squeeze out Blondie's hair."

Ashton and Gabe die with laughter as I take creamer and then make myself a plate of French toast. Forcing myself a spot at the table, I wink at Ashton. "I missed you this morning."

"I'm sorry, Babe, but I wasn't cuddling on a blow up mattress." He blows me a kiss and I catch it.

"How late were you two up?" Scarlett asks, observing me from her spot on Ashton's lap.

"I don't know." I admit.

"Maybe 3." Ashton estimates and my sister scoffs. "I missed you the entire time, Sweetheart."

"Hey!" I protest, drowning my food in syrup.

Covering her ears, he grins. "A total lie."

"I'm beginning to feel like the other woman in my own relationship." Scarlett huffs.

"Sage does have a better ass than you." Avery observes.

"Sage is fucking perfect!" A new voice offers and I don't even flinch as Jovie Rawlings takes the seat next to me.

"My beautiful betrothed." I make a show of kissing her hand. "And her two knights in rusty ass armor. What bring you to my humble castle?"

"Food." Jovie, Aspen and Gentry say together, helping themselves to our kitchen.

"Betrothed?" Nina asks, eating the bacon off Easton McKnight's,  her boyfriend and another amazing football player, plate.

"You didn't know?" Gabe pulls Scar from Ashton's lap. "We were all forced into arraigned marriages at birth because our moms were best friends."

"And psychotic." Scarlett mutters.

"Me and Letty were supposed to have a spring wedding. Jovie and Sage were set for a pretty summer ceremony. Drew and Manny, though, they getting the winter wedding we've always known they'd get." Gabe smacks a sloppy kiss to Scar's cheek as Ashton yanks her back.

"But you guys never dated?" Nina asks with a raised brow.

"No, but we did go a while without talking to each other." I offer.

"Two years." Gabe pouts.

"Try four." Jovie complains. "I missed my man and my shot because now I have my own man."

"He's not a man!" Gabe, Aspen, Gentry, Garner, Houston and I shout simultaneously.

Jovie goes back to her food, smacking my side before Aspen replaces her. Ashton makes a show of loving my sister and hitting Gabe.

"I'm going to smell like pumpkin spice all day." Avery whines, running a finger through her stringy hair.

"I'll help you wash it out." Gentry slides to her side and throws an arm around her.

The disgust on her face turns to horror as he winks. "One, you're related to the spawn of satan, so no."

"I take offense to that!" Gabe protests and she flips him off.

"Two, you're 17 and a senior in high school." She removes his arm.

"So is my grade and issue or my age?" He asks. "Because I won't be 17 when the wedding comes around."

Turning as red as the paint on her nails, Avery counts to five before turning to Scarlett. "I'm taking a bath, and I'm using your expensive soap from France."

As she storms off, Easton looks at his girlfriend. "This house is so weird."

You learn to embrace it, my pal.

*****

All day, I've done a grand total of three things. I've watched and played football with three of the best players in the country. I've stolen food from the kitchen when my sister isn't looking. I've texted Chloe.

Sage
What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

Looking around the room as I wait for her reply as a swear comes from the kitchen, followed by Ashton's Abuela swearing at him in Spanish. My sister is so going to kill him for finishing the food while she naps.

Chlo-bear
I want to guess yours first... Sweet potatoes.

Sage
Too sweet, I like those a moderate amount.

Chlo-bear
Damn
Um.... Stuffing

Sage
Depends, Scarlett's is good but I prefer-

The message sends before I can erase it.

Chlo-bear
Prefer what?

Taking a deep breath, I respond.

Sage
I preferred my moms, she put extra crispy sausage in hers just for me.

Dad hated it but I loved it so much, she made me my own dish every year and I ate every bite. She'd rub my back and kiss my forehead as I'd lay with her on the sofa, complaining of somehow needing more of it and having a stomach ache at the same time.

Chlo-bear
I'm sorry.
Why don't you ask Scarlett to make it that way?

The thought of asking my already over exhausted sister to make another dish just to please me feels selfish. She'd do it and I'd eat it but...

Sage
It wouldn't be the same.
But I asked the question so you tell me.

The typing dots are there way too long for the simple response I get.

Chlo-bear
Store bought rolls and you never answered.

Rolling my eyes at her joke, I give in.

Sage
Fine, it's corn pudding. Now what's really yours?

Chlo-bear
Store bought rolls from the little mercado down the street. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Sage
You don't??

Chloe-bear
No, I'm half Native American so we don't do anything.

I didn't know that. I feel like that's something I should've known by now. Tucking that information aside, I type.

Sage
Does your family do anything to celebrate family?

I understand not celebrating this specific holiday, but they must do something. Dinner? A movie?  Some sort of tradition?

Chlo-bear
No. And the next message you send better not be an invite to your house.

Sage
But we have food and swear words. Those are two of your favorite things, plus I'm here.

Chloe-bear
NO! you have a family and your closet boyfriend is home.

Sage
We didn't even do anything in front of you!

Chlo-bear
Your eyes speak volumes, Romeo. Enjoy your night with your FAMILY.
Bye

Sage
Chlo-bear, don't go.
I'm bored, insult me.
This is your one time invite to insult me.

She ignores me and I sigh, locking my phone to find Ashton's smirking face looking down on me.

"Girl trouble?" He's enjoying this.

"No, now stop pushing it." I kick his shin. I dodged enough questions last night.

"I'm just saying that Chloe seems very... good for you." His hands raise in Surender.

"One, we're pals." I stand up. "Two, she has a friend to roll in the sheets with and it's not me."

She never mentions him besides that first time she told me. Wes and Zayne; however, taunt her about it to the point that I know the guy is real. I don't ask who because it's none of my business. As long as she's good then I have no reason to stick my nose into it.

"Damn." Ash mutters. "Short, scary and more experienced than you. You're done for."

"I'm experienced." I grunt, hitting him. One person is better than none, I think. And I'm not touching her so it doesn't matter.

Now in a pissy, slightly emasculated mood, I head for the kitchen and he yanks me back. "No, stay on the couch."

"Why?" I demand, not in the mood for more questions.

"Because I said so, I need to find the twins." He says and on command the front door bursts open.

"Holy shit!" I identify the voice as Houston Jones. "We just kidnapped him!"

"Seth is gonna be so jealous." Garner Rawlings gasps for air.

What the...

"I cannot believe my parents are that stupid." Conner says.

Hold up, my cousin Conner is here, in my house. Avery snaps to attention and we share a look. Aunt Karen is gonna need more botox after today it seems.

"You've been freed, cuz." Sterling says.

"Now let's stuff our face before we get caught." Silver adds.

Five sets of feet wander into the TV room, the boys far to high on adrenaline to notice all the eyes.

"It's a bit too late for that." Avery crosses her arms.

They freeze, Sterling and Silver trying to force the other to step forward.

"What the hell did you do?" I ask. "Our uncle is a lawyer. Conner, your father is a lawyer."

"I wanted food, so I left." He shrugs, avoiding eye contact with his sister.

"Out a window." Houston snickers and Garner hits him.

I think Avery's pissed. I know I'm beyond pissed. Nothing beats the look on Ashton's face.

"You lied to me, walked to your aunt's house and kidnapped your cousin?" He demands slowly.

Sterling has the common sense to appear scared but Silver is still pumped on excitement. "Don't be stupid. It's cold, so we drove."

"You're fifteen and you're telling me you drove a fucking car!" He shouts, making our surround sound feel like background music.

Sterling shoves his idiotic twin out like a sacrificial lamb.

"You climbed out of a second story window, Conner!" Avery joins Ashton in a rage of fury. "What would've happened if you fell?

"Or if you fucking crashed?" I demand, towering over my brothers. "You know what cars do. You know how fucking dangerous they can be and you two decided it would be fun as hell to take a joyride."

They look at the ground, guilt radiating off them.

"No one knew where you were! We would've had no idea if anything happened to you! None!" My voice cracks but I don't care. They know what can happen in a car, especially so close to their day. "I'm so disappointed in you two."

It feels weird to say those words but it's true.

"So am I." Avery hugs her brother. "I'm happy you're here, but you don't risk all that. I would've jail broke you myself, and I have a license."

"I'm telling Scarlett, and you're both grounded." Ashton decides.

Their eyes flash, "You can't do that."

"You want to tell me what I can't do?" He demands and even I panic. "You two could've died. Then what? You want us to be okay with it because it's the twins and they do dumb shit?"

"I wouldn't have thought it was okay." I cut in. "I would've brought you back to life just to kill you myself."

"I take it back, I'm not telling Scarlett because I don't want to watch her beat herself up for not trusting her brothers enough to take a nap in her own home." He snatches the camera from Sterling's hands and gives it to Gabe. "But you two are grounded."

They stand there, unable to look us in the eyes, and all I can focus on is the fact they drove. On the road. Alone.

"I'm sorry." Sterling says.

"I'm sorry." Silver echoes.

Taking in the honesty in their eyes, I throw my arms around them and feel as hysterical as Scarlett on a good day. "Don't do that again."

I need them alive.

*****

Twenty minutes later,  the twins and I are parked on the couch as per Ashton's orders with Saffron resting her head on my shoulder.

"I want food." She whines.

"You'll eat in a minute." Emmy says and she glares at him.

"Squirt, I promise you'll eat as soon as Scarlett decides to stop stealing McClain's oxygen and sit on the couch." RJ assures her and saffron sits up straighter and smiles. Emmy scoffs as Scarlett and Ashton walk in and she takes the spot on my other side.

"We're back." Uncle John cries, giddily holding hands with Melissa as they walk in the front entry way.

Panic settles as I notice their grins and sparkling eyes.

"Did you guys elope?" I demand, because if so, I'm suing.

"No." Uncle John promises, pulling a hand full of fabric out of his coat. "Cover your eyes."

Doing as they say, I sit in perfect silence as my siblings peak. This is it, they're moving far away and they're covering our eyes so our pain doesn't ruin their happiness.

"Three. Two. One."

We pull our blindfolds off and I glance down to find five sets of three mini pumpkins waiting on us.

"What the..." I wonder, my mind spinning in over drive. Three pumpkins.

"No way!" Scarlett jumps to her feet. "No way! No way! No way!"

Everything crashes into my head at once. The conversation I over heard in Mel's classroom. The secrets. The appointments. "You're pregnant?"

Beans, Tater tots, peas, sea squirts and now pumpkins.

"With Triplets?" The twins sound mildly horrified and I'm right with them.

"They better be girls." Saffron demands

They share a look, "Squirt, I think you'll be rather happy."

Scar and I share a look. There's no way they know that. They just had their panicked conversation two months ago at the most. She's skinny as ever.

"We've been acting so strange this past month because we were finalizing some paperwork." Melissa explains.

"We thought we would be able to wait 'till Christmas to share with you five, but life likes to throw us off." John shares a smile with his fiancé as they move back towards the hall. "You five are my kiddos and I love you more than life itself, but I'd like for you to meet my kids." Uncle John tells us just as Easton, Clay and Nina bring out three kids.

Scarlett screams and hugs Uncle John but I'm stuck in place. There are two, young, blonde kids in my house and a baby."Scarlett, Sage, Sterling, Silver, Saffron, I'd like you to meet your cousins." Melissa says, taking the boy from Easton.

The twins were right, they cannot have kids so they adopted. Maybe if I wasn't so caught up in my own hell, I would've paid better attention. Asked the right questions.

"What are their names?"

"How old are they?"

"Did you steal them?"

"No, Squirt, I didn't steal them." Uncle John laughs, taking the baby from Nina.

"We finalized our foster care paperwork last month." Melissa explains. "We thought nothing would come from it until after we married."

"But, we wanted to do sibling groups." John adds. "We got a call a week and a half ago about two siblings in the system who were about to be separated. We were a little hesitant but then they called back saying they had a third sibling that was due in a few days and would instantly be put in the system."

"So we dropped everything and hoped on the next flight to Oklahoma." They're so calm about this like they didn't just bring three kids into our house unannounced.

"My lawyer drew up paperwork and it was possible to adopt Sofia after she was born."

"Sofia?" Scar whispers because my own voice won't work. "As in Abuela?"

Uncle John nods, "What better way to honor the woman who took me in than name my daughter after her? We can't change Jacob and Molly's names until we adopt them, which could be months from now."

"I think you'd make a perfect Mathew, I can see it now." Scarlett studies the blonde boy no older than 2 in Mel's arms and I want to say no. That's my name. I called dibs. He was my father and I deserve the name.

She wanders over to the girl no older than four that Clay gently rests on the ground. "I think you'd make a beautiful Katherine."

No. I want to scream at her. I want to pout like I did the day Ella dumped me. Those are our parents names. Ours.

Then I notice how skinny the girl- Katherine- is. Her hair is stringy and too long, a bruise peaking out from underneath the brand new dress my uncle bought her. She's so young and already looks so broken.

She reminds me of Chloe.

Despite the shrinking part of my brain protesting my feet, I move 'till I'm standing in front of her. She flinches and I try to show I won't hurt her. Crystal blue eyes take me in as she silently shakes her head and I scoop her up. The second she's in my arms, I feel it. She's our new Katherine and I'll protect her for the rest of my life. "Just what this family needed, another girl to wreak havoc."

The other two kids are passed around but I refuse to set her down, and she doesn't ask me to. Instead I sway back in forth. "My name is Sage."

Silently, her eyes stare into mine.

"We're family now, and I promise you'll love it here." I whisper. "We're weird, but we'll love and protect you for your entire life. And I'll let you paint my nails."

She grins a grin almost as wide as the one I'm wearing. I think we'll be best friends. My attention drifts to Uncle John as he sends a look in my direction.

"I was thinking they would call you Aunt Scarlett and Uncle Sage." He clears his throat. "I thought your parents would be the God parents of my children, but I'd be honored if you two had the titles."

The guilt I have for even wanting to claim those names eats at my soul, but tears spring in my eyes. Hugging my uncle, I feel a piece of my missing heart fall back into place.

I might've lost Ella's love but now it's been replace with three hearts.

*****

After drying our tears and eating dinner, I'm parked on the basement couch with Jovie, Gentry and Aspen. The sibling duo bicker endlessly and Aspen just sits between me and Jo, making faces at Katherine as she tries to nap in my lap.

"Makes me miss Brookie." Jovie admits and I think about all the pictures I've seen of Aspen's infant sister. Makes me miss when saffron was that little, even though we now have a brand new baby upstairs that my baby sister is hogging.

"It's gonna suck not seeing her when we're in college." Aspen sighs.

"Speaking of college." Gentry clears his throat loudly and Jovie hits him.

"With that smooth segway, I'm steeling the toddler and we're getting cookies." She declares, literally taking my new snuggle bug away. Now I'm sad.

Turning to the two idiots, I watch them silently bicker. "If someone doesn't say what's up, I'm going to assume you're asking to make my relationship poly with Ashton and I hate to say it but he's the jealous type. Sharing isn't his style."

They both slap me before Aspen takes over the conversation. "Ew, no. We know you made the decision to leave Vandy."

"Thanks for that call." Gentry mutters. "Some baseball brother you are."

Damn, I really didn't call them. "My decision came with some drama." Like my sister and I getting into a screaming match.

"It's cool." Aspen assures me. " And we're sure you have plenty of schools calling, but we want to let you know Florida State is beyond interested in you."

I blink in shock. "But I said no to their offer last summer." They really wanted me and I didn't even hesitate to say no.

"They know, but they also know how good of a player and person you are."

"We've hyped you up quite a bit." Gentry adds. "Not that you need it."

They both stare at me with hopeful eyes and I panic. Florida state is 9 hours away. I'd be 9 hours away from my family. From Scarlett. Who would help? Who would protect them?

"You don't have to make a decision." Aspen hands me a business card. "They just want to let you know they're an option."

"And a damn good one at that." Gentry boasts.

Taking the card, I pocket it. It's just a call. The sound of feet on the stairs snap my shock away.

"Look who I found." Jovie chirps.

"Better not be Beau." Gentry snaps, shocking me. He's the more laid back member of the I hate Jovie's boy club.

"It's Chloe!" She cheers, ignoring the comment if she heard it.

Whipping my head around, I take in my lab partner in ripped jeans and a sweater. "You said I could come."

Standing up, I pocket the card. "Let's get you some food."

*****

Four hours later, after I've said goodbye to Ashton even though I'll see him tomorrow night and played more board games with my friends than I thought possible, my house begins to empty.

Ashton took his three friends back with him. My friends took their delinquent brothers and went to wherever they're staying. My new snuggle buddies went to their new home, with my uncle as their father. Thank God Melissa is there. All of my siblings and remaining two cousins are in their rooms.

Which leaves me with a very food coma Chloe Hale.

"How did you get here?" I ask since she didn't give me a heads up.

"Walked." She yawns.

"You what?" I demand. "Chloe that's over an hour walk." Drive time is not as slow as walk time, especially with little legs.

"Relax, I wasn't planning on showing up here." She waves me off. "I needed to clear my head so I started walking. I ended up here and almost left before Jovie saw me and forced me in. Wes is in the city so I guess I should feel lucky. Walking back so soon would've sucked."

"You're not walking back tonight either." I declare.

"Have to." She yawns again, solidifying my case .

"I'm driving, Chlo-bear." I smile. "Now move it."

"No, I don't need–"

"I'll carry you out of here over my shoulder or you walk, it's your dignity." I threaten and that gets her stubbornly moving to the front door.

As we drive to the other side of town, I get lost in the sights. Memories of racing bikes down Hemlock Grove and playing wiffle ball in the deserted lot remind me of my childhood. It feels good to enjoy a memory.

As Chloe navigates me, I'm too lost in my own thoughts until I'm parked.

"This is it." She gnaws at her thumb. "It's not much but the house is sorta cute."

Taking in how nervous she is, I glance towards the house and my eyes freeze. The peeling, navy blue paint punches a hole though my heart. the bared windows keeping monsters out of the house.

Or memories in.

"I feel like I should invite you in." She forces a laugh before nudging me softly. "Do you want to?"

"Want to what?" I croak, unable to look away.

"Come in?"

"No!" My knee hits the steering wheel. Fuck. "No, I... um... I have to read to Saff. I promised her."

The scared smile vanishes from Chloe's face as I throw the car in reverse, barely managing to ensure she gets out safely. Without second glance back to ensure she makes it in, I speed down the road.

My hands shake long after I crawl into bed.

******

So many emotions fam! I hope you guys liked this

Also, what's the deal with Sage now!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

872K 18.8K 66
"Okay, you know what? You're such a jackass and I never should have kissed you," I say. Colton stands up. His green eyes are just as angry as mine ar...
193K 6K 39
"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to know you. To know the way you react to th...
118K 3.1K 78
My lips part slightly, as I watch her move her body to the rhythm. She runs her hands through her hair as she moves her body sensually slow with her...
166K 8.7K 88
(#1- best story ever) November 2021 Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections ...