Why not ?

By CissyItsMe

Why not ? Two simple words that got out of Cora McKall's mouth and caused a dramatic change in her life. T... More

Why Not ?
•Chapter 1
•Chapter 2
•Chapter 3
•Chapter 4
•Chapter 5
•Chapter 6
•Chapter 7
•Chapter 8
•Chapter 9
•Chapter 11
•Chapter 12
•Chapter 13
•Chapter 14
•Chapter 15
•Chapter 16
•Chapter 17
•Chapter 18
•Chapter 19
•Chapter 20
•Chapter 21
•Chapter 22
•Chapter 23
•Chapter 24
•Chapter 25
•Chapter 26
•Chapter 27
•Chapter 28
•Chapter 29
•Chapter 30
•Chapter 31 #Part.1
•Chapter 31 #Part.2
•Chapter 31 #Part.3
•Chapter 32
•Chapter 33
•Chapter 34
•Chapter 35
•Chapter 36 #Part.1
•Chapter 36 #Part.2
•Chapter 36 #Part.3
•Chapter 37
•Chapter 38
•Chapter 39
•Chapter 40
•Chapter 41 #Part.1
•Chapter 41 #Part.2
•Chapter 42
•Chapter 43
•Chapter 44
•Chapter 45
•Chapter 46
•Chapter 47
•Chapter 48
•Chapter 49
•Chapter 50
•Chapter 51
•Chapter 52
•Chapter 53
•Chapter 54
•Chapter 55
•Chapter 56 #Part.1
•Chapter 56 #Part.2
•Chapter 57
•Chapter 58
•Chapter 59
•Epilogue
•A/N

•Chapter 10

14K 568 107
By CissyItsMe

≈Miami, FL...

(11 a.m)

Once they both calmed down, Cora and Kalvin decided to go to Mama's to discuss more about the situation and also to eat breakfast, because none of them had the time to eat this morning. Well, Cora ate some Kit Kat before Kalvin picked her up.

Anyways, they needed to let each other know about everything, so they won't have others surprises. Kalvin was still shocked to know that Cora already had children. His grandma was always telling him, you can't judge or know a person just by its appearance, because you can't see their story. It was true. Kalvin thought that Cora was single and enjoying her young years like a lot out there, but he was so wrong. In reality they were strangers who were about to have a baby together.

When they walked in the restaurant, the hostess led them immediately to a table and then gave them the menu so they could order once the waiter comes. It didn't take too long before a tall black man with long brown dreads and muscles arrived before them. He smiled showing his white teeth, introduced himself and asked them what they wanted to eat. Cora ordered pancakes with strawberries, cherries, whipped cream and a glass of orange juice. Kalvin him took eggs with sausages, toats covered by apricots marmalade and a glass of apple juice. Ismael smiled again and left. A couple of minutes later, he came back with their plates and placed them on the table, then wished them good appetite and finally let them enjoy their breakfast. 

"Not a weird combination today ? " Kalvin asked remembering how she mixed the cookies with mustard a week ago at his condo just after they slept together for the second time. 

Cora rolled her eyes playfully, "It's not an every day thing. I don't have any pregnancy craving today, well for now." She answered, then took a sip of her orange juice. 

A little silent settled between them, but it didn't last more than five minutes, "Uh...So...Are you still...in contact with the twins' father ? " He had a lot of questions to ask her and it was better to start now than later. 

She shook her head sadly, "Years ago, I would've told you I wish we were still together, but I don't love him anymore. He had never wanted to...take care of the babies. When I told him that I was pregnant, he said horrible things to me that I will never forget and then he left and went to sleep with the first bitch he saw. That pregnancy revealed his true personality...fortunately for me. He made me believe things, but I opened my eyes at the good time." 

Kalvin could see all the pain in her eyes. He realized then that it was a hurtful subject to speak about for Cora, "Oh...I am sorry. So...he had never been in the twins' lives ? "

Once again she shook her head, "Nope...Never. When I tried to call him, he called me a bitch, told me to leave him alone, that he never loved me anyways and that I'm just a fat and ugly cow and others stupidities. It hurt, but I'm over it now. I prefer to focus on more positive aspects in my life."

Kalvin nodded his head, "I admire strong women like you. Really, I salute you." He said raising his glass up for them to cheer.

Cora smiled and clicked her glass with his, "Thanks, I appreciate it. But I wasn't alone. My family and friends had been an amazing support. If it wasn't for them, I don't know what I would've done. I could finish high school like everybody else and I even went to college. And I could start my own business."

Kalvin raised his eyebrow, "So...you are twenty-six years old or am I wrong ? " He asked curiously.

"Hey ! You're not supposed to ask that to a woman ! "

"Well, we're gonna have a baby together, I HAVE to know. By the way I'm twenty-five."

"Wow ! I'm messing around with a baby." She said smartly.

Kalvin laughed, "It's just ONE year. Not even since my birthday is coming soon."

"Oh ! When exactly ? "

"November first. And you ? "

She frowned, then grinned, "Like my father. I'm born March first."

"Okay, okay, number one's put your hands up in the air ! "

Cora laughed, "So...any bad love story on your side ? " She asked looking at him.

"The only serious girlfriend I had was when I was in high school. I think it was senior year, but...Uh...I cheated on her...one day before...Uh...no...one day after prom night."

Cora gasped, "You're a monster ! Let me guess, she gave you her virginity on prom night ? " Sounded cliché, but that was always happening.

Kalvin drank some of his juice, "Well..." He trailed off avoiding eye contact with her.

She threw her napkin at him, "Oh my God ! You're such a jackass ! " She commented folding her arms.

Kalvin chuckled, "For my defense, I was young and wasn't ready for commitment or whatever. Plus, it's not like I forced her to have sex with me. It was her decision."

Cora sighed remembering how she was in her young years, "Dumbest decision ever." She mumbled, but he clearly heard her.

He raised his eyebrow, "Are we still talking about my ex ? " He asked staring at Cora. He could tell that the idiot she was with in the past, really hurt her and kinda destroyed her life, well more her heart than anything else. They had sex, she got pregnant and he left. What's Kalvin was not planning to do. That's why he was still there even after finding out about the twins. That's not what was going to prevent him to take care of his own child. No, it wasn't a reason to abandon her and let her raise their child alone. He just had to accept the situation. Plus it could be worse.

"Not really." She answered sadly, "Sometimes, I wish I can go back in the past to tell myself to not give up my virginity to that asshole, but then...I would've never had my angels. It's crazy though ! He broke my heart, but at the same time gave me the most beautiful blessing of my life. So I can't regret my stupid decision." 

Kalvin stayed quiet a moment deep in his thoughts. He was thinking about his mother and father and everything they went through, "You know..." He didn't know if he should really say that but he did it anyways, "You have a lot in common with my mother."

Cora laughed, "No ! I am sorry, but no. We are two different persons." She had met the woman one time and it was enough for her. She didn't like how his mother was looking at her, like she was a nothing and didn't deserve a little bit of respect. No, she didn't want to deal with this character before a very long time. 

"I swear, what we're living right now, it's exactly what my parents went through. Well, it was a little different, but they lived this situation." 

Cora ate the last bite of her pancakes, "Really ? " She asked not believing him. 

He nodded his head, "Yeah ! They met at this bar that was near their campus, they got drunk and ended up having sex, then my mother got pregnant with my big brother. My grandfather was a strict military and my mother's parents were strict Christians, so my parents had to get married because at the time it was really bad to have a baby out of wedlock." 

Cora felt suddenly bad for his mother, "Wow ! I guess, it wasn't really easy."

Kalvin shrugged, "They eventually fell in love, had two more children and raised their family together."

She was understanding a bit more his mother's behavior, "Your mother didn't want you and your siblings to live the same situation, huh ? That's why she was so mad ? "

"Yes, for the most part. But she needs to understand that we're in 2014 and she doesn't need to protect us like we're still five years old. We grew up and now it's time for us to live our lives."

"You know as a parent, no matter how old your children get, you will always see them as little babies. You can't help it, but protect them until...your death. Since they arrived into your life, your children are and will always be your first priority, nothing can change that." Cora said thinking about her own babies. They were ten now, but she couldn't help herself and was still seeing them as newborns.

"Well...until I become a father, I won't really get the thing." He said beaming at her.

"Yeah, I guess."

-

-

-

"I knew it ! I knew it ! She wants to trap you since the beginning ! " After talking with Cora, Kalvin drove her back at her home and then went to his mother's, so they could talk and be back on good terms, but there she was being loud and crazy again.

At first, she did accept his apologies and then started questioning him like she was a FBI agent. Kalvin wanted to wait before to tell her about Cora having two children, but she was annoying him so much, it slid out of his mouth by itself. He really didn't know how it got out, but now she knew and was fuming about it.

Kalvin rolled his eyes starting to regret even coming here, "Mum, please, stop ! "

"Stop what ? Kalvin, this bitch i-"

Once again she was going too far, "OH ! " He yelled getting angry. She got quiet immediately, "Its. Enough." He began through gritted teeth, "Mum, listen carefully. Cora doesn't want my money and even if it was case, she's the mother of my child, your grandchild by the way, what means that she's going to be family and we don't disrespect each other in our family. It's the first and LAST time you call her out of her name ! Did you hear me ? " 

His voice was husky, authoritarian and scary, but it didn't face Mrs.Ryans. She had to deal with that for a big part of her life. More her two sons were growing up, more they were acting like their father. She didn't like it, "What now ? You're already in love ? The pussy was that good ? Anyways, I call anybody whatever I want to. It's not you who are going to tell me how to use my mouth, because it's MINE ! " 

He wiped his face in frustration, "I'm done with you." He said pulling his keys out of his pocket, "You call me when you'll be ready to have an adult conversation." 

"I know I'm right, Kalvin ! "

-

-

-

"Miss Cora, are you okay ? " Francesca asked as Cora was kind of day dreaming. She was replaying the beginning of the day that she had with Kalvin. She was happy to know that he was going to be there with her during this pregnancy and also to raise their child. He was nothing like her ex-boyfriend, but then she knew she still had to be careful. She had been fooled one time, she didn't want it to happen a second time. Mainly that this time, it wasn't just about her. She still had to let the twins know about Kalvin and their little sibling.

Cora came back in reality, "Uh...yes. Do you need something ? "

Franky looked at her smirking, "What is his name ? "

Cora shoot her a look that was saying 'mind your own damn business and not mine', "What are you talking about ? " She asked acting dumb.

"Oh please ! You had that gigantic smile on your face. C'mon ! I told you everything, so you can do the same chica."

Actually, none of Cora's friends knew about her pregnancy. In fact she was hiding it away from them. She wanted to have a nice dinner with them all, then she'll announce the news smoothly, "Uh...I can't tell you right now, but you'll know soon."

Franky rolled her eyes and went back to clean the bar for the night. Then Cora's phone vibrated next to her. She looked at it and noticed that she had received a message from her best friend Latoya, that got back on her good list one month after the accident with Acacia.

Latoya: Hey, sista ! Sorry, but I won't be able to pick the twins up after school :( 

Cora sighed and replied telling her to not worry and that she'll find someone else. But who ? Everybody was working right now and she couldn't leave the club, because she had a meeting with her accountant  and she couldn't cancel it or reschedule it for another day, since she already had done it. Her mother was her only option. She dialed her number hoping she will answer, but nothing. She tried again and she got the same result. What am I going to do ?

The meeting was in twenty minutes and she didn't know how long it was going to last and the twins were going out of school in forty-five minutes. Would we be done by this time ? She couldn't tell. She began to think.

"Franky, can you do me a favor please ? "

"Depends on what ? What's wrong ? "

"Will you be able to pick up the twins from school today ? " She asked smiling.

Franky pouted, "I have my dentist appointment, I have to go in like ten minutes." She said checking her watch.

Cora smacked her forehead slightly, "Yeah, right. I totally forgot. Thanks though." Roger was not there, he had to work for school and her others employees were usually coming towards five p.m and she wasn't going to call each one of them to see if one was available. 

She looked through her contacts and suddenly saw Kalvin's name. She shook her head laughing at herself, "Why would he do this for me ? " She asked herself then sighed. 

"Who knows ? " She dialed his number anyways. She was praying for him to answer and after three rings, that's what he did. 

"Everything is okay ? " He asked concerned. 

"Yeah. I'm fine. We're both fine. Uh...Are you busy right now ? " 

"Not really. I have practice, but it's in like two hours. I'm simply chilling right now. Why ? You want to do something ? " She bit on her lips nervously, "Hello ? Cora, are you still there ? " 

"Uh...yes...Uh...Can you do something for me please ? " 

"What is it about ? " 

"Uh...Well, I have an important meeting with my accountant and nobody to pick up the twins from school. I called everybody and none of them could do this and I saw your name in my contacts and I thought maybe you can help and maybe I'm going too far and maybe I should've not call you and asked you that and I'm sorry and forget. Have a nice day." She said quickly, then hung up. It was surely the worst idea she had in her whole life. Well, until now. 

Suddenly her phone rang in her hand. It was Kalvin, "Why did you hang up on me ? " He asked slightly angry. 

"I'm sorry. I sh-"

"Listen, it's cool. I have nothing to do and you are busy, I can do this for you. Just text me the school address. I can even keep them with me until you're done. Just call me when your meeting is over." He said causing a smile to appear on her face. 

She felt relieved, "Aw, thank you ! Thanks so much ! You're the best ! Thank you ! Really, I appreciate it ! Thanks so so so so so so so so so so much ! Thank you ! " 

She heard him chuckle, "Hey, no problem. Plus, we have to meet each other anyway." 

Cora was nervous again, "Uh...about that...They still don't know." 

Kalvin sighed, "So what ? I lied to them and introduced myself with another name ? Cora we said we're gonna do it right. What are you waiting for ? " 

She sighed, "I know, I know. I'm going to tell them today. Uh...tell them you're one of my old friend from high school. Okay ? " 

"Yeah, okay. See you later." 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Feel free to comment and/or to vote =) 

•A/N: I can't wait for yall to see the meeting between Kalvin and the twins. How do you think it will go ? Good ? Bad ? Both ? Do you like Mrs.Ryans (Kal's mom) ? And why ?

Dedication goes to Baddoe98 ! Thanks so much for your amazing support ! And I love reading your comments ! Muahh 💋❤ 

Thanks for reading !

And sorry for the mistakes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 33 29
love noun /lʌv/ an intense feeling of de...
280K 8.2K 32
"You should have told me before that you weren't interested in me" I yelled at my so called husband Samad. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. "Jawari...
1.6M 48.7K 51
After five years and a thousand regrets, two old lovers meet again.. "What kind of stunt are you pulling out this time?" I see his eyes blaze in blue...
565 0 19
January 21st since it's my anniversary, I wanted to do something special never wrote a book before let's start with that those in the outside world w...