breathe// 5SOS

By 5sosxruel

SEQUEL TO FOREVER Getting better wasn't immediate, and that was frustrating. It created tension between fam... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
96
Epilogue

95

739 31 0
By 5sosxruel

Ava

"Have a good time, okay? Your dad will get you later," Michael said, dropping me off at Sam's. I gave him a hug and he waved me off, staying until Jordan had let me inside.

"Sam!"

"Coming!"

"Jordan, we need to go," his dad said, "hello Ava,"

"Hi,"

"Kelly is gonna be back soon, she went to get some soup for lunch,"

"Oh, okay,"

He smiled and then ushered Jordan out, who had left a trail of mud from his football boots, and shut the door. It was much more chaotic than at home.

Awkwardly, I stood in the kitchen, waiting for Sam. It was a lot like my new home, with marble counters, but they had a lot more expensive food and an island. It was cool that we had similar things, because if he came over he wouldn't feel weird like I did at first.

"Hey," he smiled, jogging into the kitchen, "you look nice,"

"Oh, thankyou,"

He smiled and pulled me into a hug, his aftershave comforting me; Marcus had the same one. He'd just showered, his brown curls flopping over his head, and he wore a really soft hoodie.

Perhaps I was just missing Julie, but I could stay in his hold forever.

"Are you okay? You need the hug huh?"

"Yeah,"

"What's up?"

I shrugged and he took my hand, pulling me down to the basement like last time- there seemed to be even more books.

"You don't have to tell me, but you can if you want,"

"It's fine, I'm just missing Julie,"

"Why?"

"She used to make me really happy,"

"I know, Ava, but you are worth so much more than getting cheated on,"

"Everyone keeps saying that,"

"Because she chose someone else to be with over you, didn't she? And that's not right, it's not how relationships should go,"

"But I want to make up with her, and be with her again,"

"She's not the only person who will ever love you. You gave her your vulnerability, she abused it,"

"Oh,"

He squeezed my hand and I started to understand. She had caused me to cry and hurt in a way I'd never felt before, and I still had people to make me happy.

"You'll still be my friend, won't you?"

"I didn't invite you round for no reason," he laughed, sitting back in a beanbag; I sat opposite.

"I never actually know what to do when I am at someone's house,"

"Whatever you like. I'm fine with staying and chilling, but we can go out if you want,"

"No, thanks. I'm cold,"

He chuckled and grabbed a blanket, pulling my beanbag together with his and putting a blanket across us.

"I wish I had this many books,"

"You can borrow some if you want,"

"I can?"

"Yeah, no one really comes here for books,"

"Thankyou,"

Again, he smiled, then he turned the tv on and had it in the background. His mum came home and welcomed me, but we mainly went on our phones.

It was nice, and not awkward.

I ended up leant against his arm, my head on his shoulder, feeling my eyes droop.

I couldn't fall asleep on him.

"Lunch!" his mum called, making me yawn, and flop even more. When he stood up, he pulled me off the bean bag and then upstairs, where two bowls of soup with fancy bread rolls.

I thought it would be tomato, but whatever it was, was still nice.

"How was the first week of school?" Kelly asked me, "I heard you started new classes,"

"It was okay,"

"Not in the swing of it yet huh?"

I shook my head and looked down, taking a bite if the bread; it was harder than I expected.

"It'll be back to normal next week," Sam said, "we still have English together, and I'll come to the office whenever,"

"Yeah,"

Thankfully, the subject dropped, and I carried on eating. Suddenly, I bit into something hard and yelped, pulling a brace from my mouth.

"Great,"

"There's always something," Sam laughed, "always an adventure. Text your mum about it,"

"I don't want to go yet,"

"You don't have to, but let her know,"

"Later,"

He grinned and shook his head, both of us finishing up. Then, we went back to the basement and played video games for a bit. Sam was pretty carefree and content and it made me feel like I could be too- I loved being with him.

When dad came, I was actually upset.

"Hiya Sam," he smiled, pulling me into a side hug, "did you have a good time?"

"Yeah,"

"She's been a pleasure," Kelly said, "she's always welcome to come home with Sam afterschool,"

"That's nice ay? Once we have settled, we can have friends round,"

I nodded and smiled at Sam, before the door shut and we walked away.

"You're missing a brace,"

"It fell off at lunch,"

"What on earth did you eat?"

"Bread,"

"Right... well we need to fix that really. Shall we see if mum can do it now?"

"No,"

"Yes, sweetheart, because you need it all fixed,"

"No," I whined, "dad,"

"I'll hold your hand, you needed them tightening this week anyway,"

I slumped back in the car seat and sulked, hoping he would change his mind; he didn't. He called mum and we went straight to the hospital.

I had to brush my teeth and then sit down in her room with the glaring light.

"Your bite is getting better, so I am gonna change how your elastics go,"

"Dad,"

"You're alright poppet,"

"Mum,"

"What's up?" she said, getting the new brackets, "it's nothing new,"

"I don't like it,"

All day, I'd been close to Sam, allowing me to close off a little and hide myself- now I was in the open and I hated it.

"If you let me do it, I will let you off for leaving socks all over your room just this once,"

"Okay," I mumbled, not wanting my phone taken away; plus, pocket money sounded fun.

I let mum fix and tighten my braces, which did make me miserable, then we went home. Dad cooked me spaghetti with tomato sauce while everyone else had bolognese and pasta, but I didn't have any energy to care anymore.

I wasn't happy anymore. My jaw hurt and I had school.

"Ava, do you want to read to me later?"

"No,"

"We could play a video game?" Marcus asked.

"I've played some,"

"The attic was nice and tidy, so you could do some drawing?" mum asked, taking my plate.

"No thanks," I sighed, standing up from the table. I went upstairs to my room, kicking the socks out of the way before changing into my pyjamas. Trying to keep my cool, I brushed my teeth and washed my face, then crawled into bed.

And cried.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411K 7.6K 53
It was one night that decided their entire future without them even realising it. • "But where is he?" "He's away saving lives babygirl,"
53.4K 766 21
"Why would you want to be foster parents?" "For you, darling," "Would you want that?" "To live with you?" "Not just live with us, but for us to be...
107K 3.1K 60
With Gabi and Luke being practically inseparable, they really were 'like father like daughter'. They'd always done things together, for Luke was her...
68.9K 2.1K 33
;an unplanned, fortunate discovery. That was it. Michael and Crystal fostered many kids, but the ones that stuck were a fortunate discovery. Five o...