breathe// 5SOS

De 5sosxruel

SEQUEL TO FOREVER Getting better wasn't immediate, and that was frustrating. It created tension between fam... Mais

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
Epilogue

74

778 36 1
De 5sosxruel

Ashton

As I went down to make sure Ava was okay with the tea, I saw Viola with a bag of rubbish, heading out to our bins.

"Marcus is going into the basement. Over time, you need to let him have some alone time," I told Ava.

"Yeah, here is the tea,"

Completely dismissing what I had said, she went upstairs, Viola closing the door as she entered. She looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Viola, I would've done that,"

"Is Marcus okay?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I am going to take a bath and get in bed. Please can you just bring me up a sandwich later,"

"Of course, go on. I was just going to start tea,"

"Please don't leave me;"

"Viola , what is going on?" I shushed, "why would you say that?"

"I just... I'm just tired,"

I cupped her cheek in my hand and kissed her, brushing my thumb gently against it.

"Call me if you need anything, rest up for tomorrow because you're taking Ava to town after work- if you can,"

"Yeah, yeah. I love you,"

She went upstairs with her tea and I got to cooking, putting pasta on to cook. I made a bolognese sauce and got dishes out, setting the table as I waited. It was a shame Viola couldn't join us, but whatever news or discovery she had just found out clearly needed processing. I really hoped it wasn't about her dad, though that was what I suspected.

I got Ava her drink and called them to the table, hoping to discuss a few things with them. They came down laughing, sitting at the table with smiles all round.

"What drink would you like?"

"Milk, please,"

"Milk?" Ava exclaimed, "what?"

"Don't judge me," he pouted, laughing slightly, "it's how I roll,"

I got his drink and served up the food, putting it down in our seats. After a couple of minutes, I broke the silence.

"I know it is your first night here, and I don't want to dampen anyone's mood, but can we talk about expectations together?"

"Yeah," Marcus said, "I am really worried about not doing the right thing,"

"Can't we wait," Ava groaned, "I am eating,"

"I don't know who gave you that attitude, but I would like you to drop it please," I said calmly, "If I respect you, you should respect me,"

"But we just moved in!"

"So we should set them now. They're nothing to worry about poppet, I promise,"

"Well what are they like?"

She had put her cutlery down, and her hand was shaking. Properly shaking.

"You know what, we will talk after dinner,"

"Dad," Marcus said quietly, "am I shopping tomorrow as well?"

"You can, or we could go another day. I don't mind,"

"Oh, could we go another day?"

"Probably Wednesday,"

"Okay, yeah,"

"Our weeks can be busy," I smiled, "but you'll get used to it,"

Once we had finished, they cleared the table so that I could make a sandwich for Viola. I took it upstairs and saw her in bed, half asleep. I ran my fingers through her hair to grab her attention and kissed her rosy cheek.

"I brought you food,"

"Thankyou. I feel a bit better,"

"Good. Can I leave you to it then?"

"Yeah, I love you,"

"I love you too,"

She smiled and I went downstairs, ushering the pair into the living room. I sat next to Ava but Marcus opted to sit on the floor infront of me.

"Ava, I have had many different rules my whole life, and I have never been hurt for not following them. They actually help,"

"Plus, they are more expectations we have of you," I added, wrapping my arm around her.

"My first one is simply that we each use manners and respectful language with each other,"

"What if we don't?"

"Well I don't think that will happen. If we get angry or riled up then you have to express that in a non hurtful way,"

Marcus nodded and leant on the coffee table, whereas Ava had her shoulders hunched.

"Then there is housework. You should both keep your rooms tidy, but also your other spaces like the attic, basement and conservatory. Each Sunday night mum or I will be checking, and if it isn't tidy then we will take your phone until it is done,"

"But then I can't talk to Julie,"

"Well if you tidy it, you get it back,"

"Do we have chores?" Marcus asked.

"We might ask you to take out the rubbish or hoover, but there is nothing set. If you can keep the place tidy, I can clean it easily,"

"All I am saying is that I am not doing any job that involves cobwebs and spiders," he said, fake surrendering.

I chuckled lightly, rubbing Ava's arm.

"That's okay. Now, we will give pocket money each month if one last expectation is met. We want you both to succeed, and do well at school,"

"Great," Ava grunted.

"Hey, you didn't let me finish. Doing well means doing your best, and sometimes that doesn't mean top marks. I don't expect you to get straight A's if that is way beyond your ability, but I do expect you to work hard,"

"I do,"

"I never said you don't. However, if you aren't doing homework properly, missing deadlines, disrupting the lesson and not caring then we will not reward you. If we don't see your hard work, you won't be able to see friends or have privileges,"

"But what if my maths grade is low?"

"Ava, if you are asking me for help and your teachers tell me you are great in class, I don't care about your grade. None of this is really about your grades, because you struggling at maths doesn't define your intelligence. What I am trying to get across to you is that your best is all you can do, and what we want to see,"

"See, Ava, I am quite good at sports. If my grade suddenly slipped because I didn't work hard, that is when dad would have a problem. I am not so good at geography, but dad wouldn't be mad about that," Marcus said, "if mum and dad aren't there to ask, I am too,"

"So not my grades?"

"Not unless I see a big drop. I am always in contact with your teachers,"

"So we have to be kind, clean up, and do our best?"

"They're not so bad ay?"

"No,"

Marcus stood up and basically tackled us both into a hug, reminding me of another point. Still, I remained in the hug until it was uncomfortable for us all.

"One last thing. Since I know that you are both well behaved and sensible, you can both do something extra curricular. It can be a club in school, but also one I pay for,"

"Can I do track and football?" Marcus asked.

"You can, but you can't go to the gym in every other night off,"

"Yeah, thankyou,"

"What about you mrs?"

"Could I do drama at school? It is the same day as track,"

"You can. What day is that?"

"Wednesday,"

"Alright. Do you feel relieved now?"

"Yeah,"

"And are you coming into work tomorrow? The orphanage are coming in,"

"Georgia will be there?"

"She will be,"

"Then yes, please. It's crazy to think that was where it all started,"

"It is ay? Now look where we are,"

She nodded and hugged me, so tight I thought I could perhaps explode. It was crazy, though. We had a whole family, in a huge house, and there was a whole support system.

"Could you start settling down then? Read a book or something,"

"Yeah," she said, handing me her phone, "in my new room,"

"I'll come up in about twenty minutes, I just need to talk to Marcus okay?"

"Yeah,"

While she went upstairs, I got Marcus to sit on the sofa, both of us facing each other with cross legged.

"Obviously you are older and a bit more independent than Ava, which means you will probably want to go out to town or to your friends' houses. All we ask is that you come back when you are asked, or call us if there is a problem,"

"Yeah, of course,"

"Also, we have registered you into school, but just like with Ava they have taken you out of PE. I don't really know why, but I think it would be good because you can do any homework you need,"

"Oh," he said sadly, "can I talk to them about it?"

"Definitely, I was just making you aware. I don't want to overwhelm you with information, but this is the last thing bugging me. You are going to see a therapist where Ava does, once every week for a couple of months; he is called Kian. However, I need to know who you want doing your dentist and doctors appointments,"

Just at the words, I saw him cringe, and how his cheeks flushed.

"It could be me with Cal, who you meet soon, or someone different. For your checkups it could be Michael and/ or Luke, who you will also meet, or again someone different,"

"You, and your friends," he said quietly.

"That's all. I am going to give you control over your bedtime unless I see you're too tired, but can you get ready for bed so she doesn't ask why she has to sleep?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty tired anyway,"

"Did Viola mention any reason she was so groggy on your journey here? I am really worried,"

"No. When we stopped at a service station to grab a sandwich, she went into the drug store, but that is all I know that wasn't planned,"

"Hm, okay. Thankyou. Tomorrow morning if we have left, don't panic, Harry is coming over in the morning. We need to get to work and sometimes Ava just don't wake up,"

"It's okay, I will take the lie in,"

"The xbox is set up with four different accounts so you can play. If you ever need anything Marcus, just tell us,"

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

107K 3.1K 60
With Gabi and Luke being practically inseparable, they really were 'like father like daughter'. They'd always done things together, for Luke was her...
32.1K 1.1K 29
PREQUEL TO SERENDIPITY A new home meant a new identity was possible. New friends, new clothes, hell even a new name. You had to expect the unexpecte...
68.9K 2.1K 33
;an unplanned, fortunate discovery. That was it. Michael and Crystal fostered many kids, but the ones that stuck were a fortunate discovery. Five o...
411K 7.6K 53
It was one night that decided their entire future without them even realising it. • "But where is he?" "He's away saving lives babygirl,"