Between Us

By n0t_ur_babe

Taryn Sawyer, an always-late, "I don't care what they think", unknowingly beautiful seventeen-going-on-eighte... More

between us
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter twenty three

615 14 6
By n0t_ur_babe

23

  I stand there, unable to move. It's like I'm frozen. "What?" I sputter out with wide eyes. Did I hear her right?

Vanessa wipes her eyes with a crumpled tissue. "He was turning left when an eighteen wheeler ran the light and hit his car. It flipped four times and ended up in a ditch upside down," she explains, hiccuping now and then. "The doctors said he has a lot of internal bleeding, four broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a possible concussion."

I hear what she's saying, but I don't hear what she's saying. How could this be true? It's not possible... I'm on my way to see him, to tell him how I feel. It's Liam. How could something so terrible happen to someone I know and care about so much?

"Taryn." I hear my name being called, but don't register it. All I can think is this isn't happening.

"Taryn!" Reed is shaking my shoulders and calling my name, but his voice is muffled as I stand there in confusion. It just doesn't make sense.

Suddenly everything comes back into focus. I blink and turn towards Reed. "What?" I ask.

"I asked if you wanted me to go with me to the hospital. I'm driving Vanessa because her husband has to work tomorrow and can't get out of it," he repeats slowly.

  "Oh. Um, sure," I say, nodding. Wow, I'm really out of it. "Let me get my phone. I left it upstairs."

I turn around and run upstairs, still trying to process what I've heard. Stop acting so upset. He's not yours to be worried about.

  I grab my phone from its spot on the dresser, and glance in the mirror. I look homeless, but I don't have time to try and fix my appearance. I sigh and run back down the stairs, trying to calm myself and act unbothered. I end up meeting Dad at the bottom of the stairs.

  I look at him for a few second. How can one of the most important men in my life lie straight to my face? He told me that Liam didn't want me to stay with him and that he was tired of me. How could he be so judgmental of me and assume that I can't keep my legs closed and that I like Liam for no other reason than his looks?

  "Taryn, where are you and Reed going?"

  I look away from him. "To the hospital. We're taking Vanessa since she isn't in the right state of mind to drive herself," I mumble, edging past him.

  Should I tell him I know what he's done? I don't know if I really want to endure the speech he's going to give me. Not right now, when Liam is hanging between life and death.

  "I don't think you should go, Taryn. I mean, he doesn't want you there-"

  I glare at him. "And why should I believe you?" I say. "I know what you did."

  Dad's face falls, and I know that the hurt I feel is written across mine. "Taryn, I was just trying to protect you-"

  I shake my head. "Save it," I mutter. "We should go ahead and get up there."

  I walk past him and follow my brother and Vanessa our the door. Reed slides into the drivers seat, and I take the back. "Thank you for driving me," Vanessa says. "You really didn't have to."

  Reed smiles. "No need to thank us," he says.

  The rest of the car ride is silent. My leg bounces the whole time, and my chest feels heavy. Stop acting like he's yours.

  Reed pulls into a parking spot and kills the engine. We don't move for a moment. I think Vanessa is trying to collect herself, similar to what I've been trying to do since I heard what happened.

  Vanessa opens her door. Reed and I do the same, climbing out of the car. She takes a deep breath and starts to walk shakily up to the hospital. Reed strides over to her and offers her his arm, which she accepts gratefully. I go to Reed's other side and grasp his hand in mine. He squeezes it a couple times and I do the same, our little sign that we're there for each other.

  We walk into the hospital, where it's quiet and there isn't much going on. Vanessa detaches from Reed and goes to the front desk, while my brother and I hang back.

  "Are you okay?" Reed whispers.

  "He's not really mine to be worried about," I say, shrugging slightly.

  He gives me a look. "That doesn't mean that you can't care about him," he says.

  "It really sucks," I admit. "You know, caring about someone that isn't yours and that you may or may not have a chance with."

  "Well if you ask me," Reed starts, "I think you have more of a chance than you think you do. He seemed to care about you a lot when your roles were reversed."

  "Really?" I say, still unsure. I keep going back and forth. He likes me, he doesn't like me. I have a chance, I don't have a chance.

  He nods. "Yeah. Just don't give up yet, alright?"

  I try to smile. "Alright," I say quietly. Vanessa comes walking over, playing with her hands.

  "They said somebody will be with us shortly," she says. "You guys really don't have to stay, I'll be fine."

  "Everybody needs somebody to lean on," Reed tells her. "We'll stay for a little while."

  Vanessa smiles and nods. "Thank you," she says sincerely.

  We nod and offer her a smile. "Excuse me, are you here for Liam Evans?"

  I look up to see a nurse standing beside Vanessa. Vanessa nods quickly. "Yes. I'm his mother."

  "Great. I'm Emily. And you two?"

  "Family friends," Vanessa answers. "How's Liam? Is he okay?"

The nurse nods. "The worst was the severe internal bleeding in his abdomen, but we managed to control it. We've also treated his collapsed lung, with a tube between his ribs to release the air that was building up. He was very, very lucky," she tells us. Vanessa starts crying, but this time tears of relief. I let out a breath that I've been holding without realizing it.

"Can I see him?" Vanessa asks, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

"Of course. However, it's family only and there's only about thirty minutes left of visiting hours, so I'm afraid that I can't allow you two back there," she says, not looking too upset. My heart feels like it sinks into my stomach, knowing that I can't see him myself. But it just makes me realize once again how I have no reason or right to see him.

Vanessa takes a deep breath and nods. "That's fine. You guys can go home, if you want. Really, I'll probably be here all right in the waiting room after visiting hours are over," she says.

Reed glances at me and I think he can tell that I don't really want to leave yet. "I think we'll stay until your done. Besides, it may be best if you go home for the night and get some rest, so you can spend time with him tomorrow," he suggests.

"That makes sense," she says. "I really appreciate it."

We smile at her as she is led by the nurse to wherever Liam is. Reed and I take a seat in the waiting room and I rest my head on his shoulder. He lays his head on top of mine.

  My brother and I sit in silence until Vanessa comes back. She looks a little relieved and less stressed. "He's good," she tells us with a tired smile. "I was even able to talk to him a little bit."

  "That's great," Reed says. I nod along, feeling as if a weight has been lifted off my chest.

  "Would you mind if I went to the cafeteria to get a coffee before we leave?" Vanessa asks. "I could use a little caffeine."

  "For sure," my brother says.

  "I'm going to go to the restroom while you guys do that," I say.

  "Alright. Want anything, sis?"

  I shake my head and smile. "No thanks. I'm good."

  We head in separate directions. I don't actually have to use the restroom, I just want to be alone with my thoughts for a minute and walk around.

  As I wander through the halls, I happen to see the nurse that was with me when I was here a week ago. She smiles kindly and comes over. "I remember you," she says. "How's the appendix?"

  "No longer there," I say with a laugh. "I'm healing pretty well. Feeling tons better."

  She nods. "Good. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you here again?"

  I take a deep breath. "The guy that was with me when I was here, Liam, is here. He got in a huge wreck," I say, shortening the long story. "My brother and I brought his mom here to see him."

  Her eyes light up in recognition. "He's actually my patient tonight! I'm working night shift, and I was actually about to go do my rounds," she says.

  I smile briefly. "Would you tell him something for me? Just say that Taryn knows what happened and she wants to talk," I say. "If that's not too much to ask."

  She looks around before leaning in slightly to whisper. "Why don't you tell him yourself? I can get you in, and you two can talk if he's awake," she says.

  I raise an eyebrow. "You would do that? Couldn't you get into major trouble?"

  The nurse shrugs. "My supervisor has a crush on me. He won't do anything," she says. "Besides, you two are a match made in heaven."

  I grin widely and nod quickly. She returns my smile and leads me to his room. My heart beats faster as we get closer, until I see the number that the nurse has been muttering under her breath. She knocks lightly and opens the door slightly, peeking in.

  She turns around. "He's sleeping, but you can go in for a minute if you'd like. I'll keep watch," she says. Coolest nurse ever.

  "Thank you," I say, stepping into his room. The nurse shuts the door behind me. I slowly walk over to his bedside, gasping slightly when I see how he looks. His face his paler than usual, with a bruise spreading along his jaw line and down his neck. He has little cuts on his arms, and small bruises scattered around. There's a tube sticking out of his side, connected to something. His hair is a mess, and his eyes are closed as he breathes in and out softly.

  I sigh shakily and quietly pull a chair over to his bedside, taking a seat next to him. I gently grab his hand between mine and stare at him. Even with his bruises and cuts, he's still beautiful and looks almost peaceful. Way out of my league.

  I don't say anything. I just sit there, knowing I'm finally in the presence of the guy I feel such a connection to. I feel electrified when I'm near him, and I don't want to have to leave.

  Suddenly, Liam squeezes my hand. I suck in my breath and watch as his eyes slowly open. He looks over at me and smiles a little. "Tare," he whispers.

  I smile back and laugh. "Welcome back," I say nonchalantly. "It's been a while, jerk."

  He stops for a second. "Wait, I shouldn't be talking to-"

  I shake my head. "I know what he did. You don't have to worry about that," I tell him. I rub my thumb across the back of his hand. "You know, you really scared the shit out of me. I thought you were going to die and I'd never get to see you again."

  "So dramatic," he mumbles. "You did the same to me. Call it even?"

  I sigh loudly and dramatically. "I suppose," I muse. "How do you feel?"

  Liam winces. "Like hell. It hurts to breathe and talk," he says.

  My eyes widen. "Then stop talking, you idiot!"

  He tries to laugh, but can't because of the pain it causes in his ribs. "I want to talk to you. I've missed having you and your sarcastic ass around."

  I roll my eyes. "We can talk anytime. You don't have to put yourself in more pain right now," I say with a 'duh' tone. "I'm not going anywhere now."

  "Good," he says, his eyes beginning to droop. I can tell he's forcing himself to stay awake for me, and I shake my head with a smile.

  "Go to sleep, Liam," I say. "Reed and your mom are probably wondering where I am anyways."

  "Sorry, I'm just really tired-"

  "Don't apologize," I say, giving him a look. "Just get better soon, alright?"

He nods as I release his hand from my grip and put the chair back where I got it from. "I'll try to see you soon, okay?" I say.

  "Okay," he says, unable to keep his eyes open any longer. He says something, but I can't make it out because his words are rambling together due to exhaustion and probably the meds they're pumping into him.

"Bye, Liam," I say. I reach over and place a kiss on his cheek, which causes the corners of his mouth to quirk up slightly in a small smile before he really falls asleep. I quietly exit the room, the nurse standing behind a counter a few feet away.

She smiles at me and walks over. "All good?"

"Yes," I say, feeling a million pounds lighter. "Thank you so, so much."

She waves me off. "No biggie. Have a good night!"

I nod and hurry back to where I left my brother and Vanessa. When I finally get there, Reed looks at me with confusion. "Where have you been?"

I shrug. "Got lost on my way back from the bathrooms. A nurse helped me out," I say vaguely. "Ready to go?"

* * *

edited: halfway kinda sorta ;) november 26, 2019

here's another chapter loves :) thanks to those of you who's stick around and put up with my shaky updates and sudden ghostings, love you all to the moon and back ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6M 197K 38
The only thing Mia Hope has in common with Jake Carpenter, Artwood High's most popular quarterback, is a love for the coffee served at The Coffee Pod...
868K 28.2K 70
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her entire life. Only a shel...
60.2K 2.7K 169
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...
105K 1.4K 29
Nagkataon naman na ang dumating na jeep ay lima nalamang ang kasya, kaya nauna ng pumasok si mama sumunod naman sina kuya tanner, mac at kuya Cedric...