breathe// 5SOS

By 5sosxruel

SEQUEL TO FOREVER Getting better wasn't immediate, and that was frustrating. It created tension between fam... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
Epilogue

72

821 38 1
By 5sosxruel

Marcus

I tied my tie for the fourth time, my hands shaking too much. The smaller kids were jumping around me, not quite grasping that I would soon be leaving them for my family.

Though they weren't all my blood family, I saw them as it anyway.

"Marcus! I want a suit like yours," Lewis said, making me crouch down and ruffle his hair.

"You'll get one when you're bigger, I am sure,"

"I know that you are leaving soon,"

"I have found my little sister, so it's the right thing to help her,"

"She needs help?"

"She needs love, and I think I have plenty of that huh?"

"You do! You do, all the time,"

I chuckled and let him hug me, a couple of other kids joining too.

"Marcus, are you ready?"

"Coming,"

"Have a good time in your suit,"

"I will bud,"

I went downstairs, seeing a stack of papers, and my foster parents ready to leave. They still had a warm smile on their face, despite this being sad for them because they did truly care for us while we were here. They had even prepared lunch for each of the kids so that the baby sitter didn't have to.

"You look smart, finally managed the tie ay?"

"Yeah," I laughed, "thankyou for getting me this,"

"That's okay, this is important. After this, we can get you ready for moving,"

"They need to move house first,"

"Ashton said it wouldn't be too long bud, before school,"

Shit, that was really soon. Moving and adjusting was hard.

"I can't believe I am moving for the last time,"

"We just want you to know that we are proud of you, and so happy that you found Ava. We hope that when you move, you can grow and get better,"

"Yeah, I will miss you guys, but I am not leaving this exact moment,"

"If they ask you to speak today, don't panic,"

"I won't,"

I plugged my headphones in and leant against the back door, thinking about seeing Ashton, Viola and most importantly Ava. Would they be dressed up? Would they still want me? Was I panicking?

Yes, to all three. Worrying. My hidden talent.

When we arrived, my heart started to pound. This was different to the other times. This wouldn't be a dropped adoption or a failed foster home- this is actual family that they might not let me have. The three of us got taken to our seats and waited for the others, who clumsily entered. Ava was in a purple dress, with a tear stained face, while Ashton wore a suit and Viola a jumpsuit.

Seeing her crying broke my heart.

My foster parents had to go up and announce how they would never adopt me, which hurt a little, but I didn't take it personally because they looked after a lot of kids. They spoke about my information that I zoned out of, but the judge seemed happy.

Then I ended up having to go up, to confirm I knew Ashton as he had claimed, and that as far as I was aware, I was Ava's brother.

"And do you want to live with them?"

"I do. I need to. They're family,"

"You say they?"

"Ashton, Viola, and Ava,"

I saw a smile on Viola's face, because I hadn't spoken to her in person. However, she seemed so welcoming and warm- they both did- and I trusted her.

I sat back down and took a drink, watching as Ashton had to get up. They were being protective about this case, getting everyone up, and it made me anxious.

"Ashton Irwin. You made the decision to foster him quickly?"

"Not at all. It wasn't taken lightly, but we want this and are aware of what the situation needs,"

"And will you adopt him in the future?"

"Definitely,"

"And when will he be moving in?"

"As soon as his new room is painted and decorated," 

"You'll treat him ay? How many children do you currently have?"

"Just the one, Ava,"

"Well perhaps we could hear from her too,"

They swapped and she looked across the room, a warm smile entering my face. Everyone could tell this was not something she intended to do, her shaking hands gripping the podium as she got there.

"Ava, you were crying before entering- why?"

"I thought Marcus wouldn't be allowed to come,"

"And why is that?"

"Well I thought you maybe would say no,"

"And that would make you really upset?"

"Yeah. I want my older brother,"

"Well, I don't believe I have any good reason to upset you so much, or have you apart any longer. I rule this valid- you now have custody,"

Just like that, a weight was lifted off my shoulder, Ava left the podium and I got up, pulling her into a hug. I started to cry, clutching onto her like she would leave me again, and placing soft kisses on her head.

"She can't breathe in there," Ashton laughed, opening his arms for me.

"Can I call you dad?" I whispered, wiping my tears.

"It would be a pleasure, Marcus. If you want to move sooner, you can stay at my friend's houses and get to know them too,"

"Can I just move in when you're ready?"

"Definitely. We are painting the rooms and putting a bed in as soon as possible. Decorations can come after as long as you're home,"

Home.

"Mum," I whispered, my voice breaking as dad let go and I walked towards her.

"You're so brave,"

"I'm sorry we didn't see each other,"

"That's okay, remember, we have our whole lives to do that now,"

I held onto her tightly, resting my head on her shoulder. I honestly felt like I could tell her anything, and the thought of me finally having a mum was so overwhelming. Both Ash and Viola talked about raw emotions, and I had never had a figure in my life that openly spoke about it, so quickly.

"We are going round town," my foster parents said, "so you can have some time together,"

"Why don't we go to our new house and decide where we want our furniture. My friends, gosh I love them, they have collected and moved in our new sofa, and some of our colleagues supplied us with new pots and pans,"

I laughed and nodded, wiping my tears. Ava and I stood together while they signed a lot of papers, but then we were free to go.

When we parked at the house I expected to drive past, I was gobsmacked. This was big enough to have our own room and a spare room.

"The living room is staying white, the kitchen is staying pale blue- every other room is changing,"

"What is my room?" Ava asked, holding my hand. She was keeping hold of me as much as possible because I had to leave again.

"It's a surprise, but a good one,"

"We have a dining room," I smiled, "look at the garden,"

It was patio, then a large grassy area that was perfect for football.

"There is a bathroom down here, Ava why don't you go with mum to see upstairs?"

"Okay,"

Dad turned to me and we sat on the sofa, excitement in both of us. 

"Now, Marcus, we have an attic and we have a basement that we are changing. I think Ava wants the attic really, but we want you to have your own private place to cool down,"

"I can have my room,"

"Well I was thinking, since my Christmas present was a bit pants... would you like a gaming place set up?"

"Like an Xbox?"

"Yeah. I mean, I can't say Ava and her friends won't want to use the TV to watch films, and you might want to use the attic to read as it is away, but the space is primarily for you,"

"Is it not cold?"

"It isn't quite a basement anymore, the last people used it as something too. There are carpets, insulation and painted walls. It is just out of the way, and I know that we are a family who do a lot together, so alone time is important,"

I nodded and hugged him again, "thankyou,"

We went up to my room and it was massive, so I decided where I wanted my desk and bed. The wardrobe was built in, and there was a bathroom that Ava and I both had access to.

"We are getting decorations, but if you don't like them when you come then just say,"

"I wish I could come now,"

"The painters are here this week. Your bed is arriving, and I promise Marcus, we won't waste anytime,"

Mum and Ava joined us, creating a huge group hug. I laughed and felt my eyes watering again.

"Thankyou so much for this, for taking me in, for spending money on me, and for helping my find a family,"

"As we said to Ava," mum said, "we wouldn't change you for the world,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

332K 5.6K 35
She'd dealt with it before- everyday in fact. The words were thrown around as much as the beer bottles. But no one could know. She told people she...
55.7K 2K 47
Life could change in a split second. All you had to do was be in the right place, at the right time. Sometimes this was a disaster, but others, it tu...
70.4K 2.1K 33
;an unplanned, fortunate discovery. That was it. Michael and Crystal fostered many kids, but the ones that stuck were a fortunate discovery. Five o...
19.4K 851 32
Esme liked how people saw her. A cheerleader, in a perfect relationship, happy. She was all those things. After moving schools, she got a fresh start...