Ana

By MCWFC_ENGWNT

Ana Fraiser. Appointed as assistant manager to Phil Neville for the England women's national team in her firs... More

Two
NOT AN UPDATE
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen

One

3.9K 48 1
By MCWFC_ENGWNT

*

St. George's Park, Burton-upon-Trent

The media including several big tv channels such as BBC Sport and Sky Sports News, have descended on the England teams national training base to hear the announcement of what has been known for some time.

Reshmin Chowdhury: "Welcome to the leafy surroundings of St. George's Park, situated just outside Burton-upon-Trent.

As you know this is the home of England's teams from youth level, right up until the seniors of Gareth Southgate's men's team and the Lionesses, for whom we are gathered here as we unveil the new head coach.

But before the Football Association publicly announce the lucky candidate, they would like to remind you that any quotes from the following press conference will be embargoed until 10pm tonight, when at that time; you may release the information.

So without further ado, let's introduce the new England Women's head coach.

A former player for Everton and most notably Manchester United under the great Sir Alex Ferguson, where he won 14 trophies with the club, represented England 59 times throughout in his career and attended three European championships.

Part of a sporting family in which dad Neville was a renowned player and coach, brother Gary was a celebrated player and is now a pundit while sister Tracey is a Commonwealth Gold winning coach with the England Netball; please welcome Mr Phil Neville".

The former full-back appears from backstage to tumultuous applause, used to the flashing cameras and attention from his playing days, he shakes it off and then takes up a seat onstage next to Reshim.

Reshmin: "Congratulations Phil".

Phil Neville: "Thank you".

Reshmin: "Head coach of the England Women's Football team or the Lionesses, how excited are you?".

Phil: "You know what, I'm very excited. This is one of the best coaching jobs in the world and I couldn't be happier at getting to work with a wonderful group of players".

Reshmin: "When did the players and most importantly when did you find out?".

Phil: "The girls have been out in La Manga for warm weather training with Mo Marley and so I went out there to see them on one of their last days there.

They all seem pretty pleased and I spoke to the captain Steph Houghton, I think it might have been the day I flew home and she explained that all the girls were upbeat and excited about a new challenge. They're looking forward to the She Believes Cup tournament in America and then the World Cup qualifier at home against Wales.

I think I must have found out while we were out for our usual Friday night family meal in Bury".

At that, a small flutter of laughter echoes around the room.

Reshmin: "Some people were worried about your lack of experience and your lack of knowledge about the players in the women's game. How have you gone about learning about your international players and the clubs they represent?".

Phil: "When I first found out, I had sort of already started to look through the players that have represented England recently and then also the older, experienced players in the squad. I then researched youth players that have been tipped to do big things at their clubs or internationally, making notes of players I would like to bring through.

Then I spent my time at the clubs in the WSL, watching players I knew that I would like to call up, getting to know their style of play, techniques etc.

It's been a long process but extremely rewarding".

Reshmin: "Now regarding your coaching team and backroad staff, I believe yourself and the FA have an announcement to make on your assistant manager; am I correct?".

Phil: "Indeed you are. I'm happy to announce that Ana Fraiser of Liverpool FC Women will be my assistant".

Reshmin: "Before we bring her out Phil, what was the main reason for picking Ana?".

Phil: "Ana has worked with both big names in both the men's and women's game and has gained valuable experience and knowledge from working with the best. She understands the women's game and what my players will need to help them perform to their best".

Reshmin: "Well then without further ado, please welcome Ana Fraiser".

*

Following the announcements, Ana and Phil moved to working their way through the media, answering any questions they might have; press officer present beside them.

Jo Currie (BBC Sport): "Congratulations to you both and we'll start with you Ana. How does it feel to be appointed assistant manager to Phil Neville?".

Ana: "Thank you. I'm thrilled to have been asked by Phil and the FA to do this job, I'm looking forward to the challenges working on the world stage brings".

Jo Currie: "You've previously worked for big Premier League names such as Huddersfield Town and WSL's Liverpool FC Women. How do you think your experiences in club football will help your career as an international coach?".

Ana: "I would like to think I have picked up some valuable experience, knowledge and understanding of the game".

Ana smiles nervously at the camera and Phil laughs along with her.

Ana: "Club football is very different to an international coaching job but hopefully my knowledge of players in the WSL and leagues further afield, will help us keep up to date with our opponents and build the best game plans we can for those teams".

Jo Currie: "Phil how much are you looking forward to getting started, especially with someone so talented and in the know about the women's game?".

Phil: "I can't wait. Ana has already been a great help when we've been to some of the matches, pointing players out to me who we would like to call up and who we should think about keeping an eye on. It's all in your preparation and we want to be as prepared as possible going into picking our first squad and our first tournament with the She Believes Cup".

Jo Currie: "Thank you both very much for your time and congratulations again".

Ana: "Thank you".

Phil: "Thanks Jo".

With the BBC Sport interview their last of the day, the pair retreat to Phil's new office at SGP to take in everything that happened that afternoon.

Ana: "I don't think I've ever been so busy!".

Phil: "Me neither and I was a player".

The new Lionesses manager and assistant manager sit in silence for a while, contemplating interviews, things they said and everything to do with the upcoming tournament.

Phil: "So have we sorted the squad and any additional travelling players?".

He leans forward, resting on his elbows and clasping his hands on the desk in front of him.

Ana: "I think so.

Goalkeepers will be Karen Bardsley, Siobhan Chamberlain, Carly Telford and as much as Mary Earps has proved herself at Reading, she hasn't played at Wolfsburg but we should definitely look at bringing her into the squad more. Same goes for Ellie Roebuck, even though she's had an absolutely brillant season so far, it's too early and she has the U20 World Cup to think about.

Anita Asante, Hannah Blundell, Millie Bright, Lucy Bronze, Gabby George, Alex Greenwood, Steph and Demi Stokes are your defenders.

This is the first call up for Asante since 2015 so it's likely to be special. Hannah Blundell and Gabby George have been called up once before last November but haven't debuted at senior level. Bright is a great young player who had a fab Euros and with the right encouragement, she will blossom into a solid centre back.

Young Arsenal defender Leah Williamson will also be travelling. She is very experienced in the WSL having debuted at 19 and is a regular starter for them. She has a long career ahead of her for both club and country and will most likely be at least Arsenal captain in future; possibly England too.

Your midfield is a hive of Manchester City activity with Jill, Isobel Christiansen and outstanding young player Keira Walsh in there alongside Jordan and Fara Williams.

Keira is also one to watch for the future. Very much a Mancunian with a huge love for her childhood club, she has the possibility of becoming City captain and is also being tipped as an England leader of the future.

Finally forwards Karen Carney, Toni Duggan, Fran Kirby, Mel Lawley, Nikita Parris, Jodie Taylor and Ellen White".

Phil: "That's a lot of information you've just given me but it seems right. I have Abbie McManus, Ellie Roebuck, Georgia Stanway and Rachel Daly on standby just in case. I also wanted to address roommates while we are here so that's out of the way".

Ana nods and pulls another piece of paper out of her folder and hands it to Phil.

Ana: "As you know we have a small handful of players who have roomed with the same person for years and also a small number who are dating within the squad. Jordan and Leah are together, as are Lucy and Keira however they prefer to room opposite".

Phil raises an eyebrow at this but moves on anyway, gesturing for his assistant to explain more.

Ana: "I'll start with Steph. She likes to room with Ellen. Has done since they met each other at club level and have continued the tradition for international ever since. Jill and Fara are also consistent roommates however other than that, I've tried to mix it up as much as possible".

Phil looks down the list, scanning the list:

Steph Houghton and Ellen White
Jill Scott and Fara Williams
Hannah Blundell and Gabby George
Siobhan Chamberlain
Jordan Nobbs and Lucy Bronze
Keira Walsh and Leah Williamson
Carly Telford and Jodie Taylor
Anita Asante and Karen Carney
Millie Bright and Toni Duggan
Demi Stokes and Nikita Parris
Alex Greenwood and Izzy Christiansen
Fran Kirby and Mel Lawley

Phil: "Very good".

Ana: "If we have to move anyone and you do bring in any of the three back ups, I suggest rooming Rachel Daly with Millie and moving Toni out to room elsewhere. Then add Abbie in with Leah and Keira while Georgia can room with Alex and Izzy , of course that all depends on who leaves etc".

Phil: "Alright let's leave it there".

Both coaches pack up and head to their cars, saying goodbyes and see you next week before driving back to their respective homes, unaware of the injuries about to hit.

*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 432 36
Charlotte williamson. leah williamsons little sister can the 16year old become one of the best also started ages ago probably won't finish it
162K 2.1K 42
Y/n Bronze, sister of Lucy Bronze, embarking on her footballing journey in the WSL.
43.8K 878 36
In which the English footballer falls for her Norwegian teammate who at first she never got along with... made this cause there's not enough Guro sto...
75.9K 3.7K 21
ALEXIA PUTELLAS ! - When Alexia Putellas needs a new manager, Isabella Cruz steps up-unbeknownst of the journey that lies ahead. 🥇 #alexiaputella...