Five

*

MAPFRE Stadium, Columbus, Ohio

The first game for the Lionesses in the SBC has come around and with the players on the bus are focused on the task ahead, Ana and Phil are also discussing France.

Phil: "It's going to be a tough game".

Ana: "They're in transition though. Corinne Diacre hasn't been charge for that long and they haven't been doing very well".

Phil: "Mmm".

Ana: "I think she will be a bit experimental with her line up. We haven't played them under her and she hasn't tested her players against us. She doesn't really know what to expect with you in charge and they will think it's going to be easier because we're also in transition. It's going to be different for both of us but I think once we get control, we may have the upper hand for the rest of the game".

Phil nods and Ana looks quickly up the bus to check everyone is getting on ok, before turning back in her seat and looking out of the front window.

She can see the stadium growing closer and closer, anticipation building in her stomach.

The driver pulls up the stadium and then once cleared, drives through an open door in the side of the stand and into darkness. They drive under the stadium until they come to a stop with Phil, Ana and the staff departing the bus first, walking past the cameras and various media outlets as the girls grab their things and follow behind them.

Ana: "This way".

Ana points down a corridor where she can see a sign reading home dressing room and a big England badge on the door, so while the girls head into the dressing room, Phil, Ana and the backroom staff walk to one of their own.

Phil: "Right. Let's get pitch side and have a look at the stadium".

Ana: "Don't forget a coat, it's grim out there".

The assistant manager picks up her own and follows Phil back out of the room, joining the girls and walking to the tunnel.

Alex: "Hey".

Ana: "Hey, you ready for this?".

Alex: "It's going to be so wet and cold".

Ana: "Not unlike many a wet and windy night we spent at Widnes eh?".

Ana smiles and Alex joins in as they make their way out, pulling up their hoods.

Ana: "You're right. It's horrible".

Alex: "Told you. We're gonna have fun sat on the bench".

Ana: "Let's just hope the wind is blocked out by the cover".

Alex: "Fingers crossed".

*

Announcer: "Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding for the national anthem of England".