[old] hexes for exes, briarvi...

By nyxiekitsune

❛ DON'T YOU KNOW THAT I CRIED TEARS OF GOLD FOR YOU? ❜ Livia Wong likes to think of herself as a vacu... More

author's note 01/03/2023
hexes for exes
characters + playlist
ONE | SHATTER LIKE GLASS
序幕
一。歡迎來到瘋人院
二。紅火
三。完美從前
四。鴻門宴
五。毒的聖餐杯
六。重生女子
七。冷戰
八。淹死的精靈
九。滅火
十。離去女子
TWO | WAR OF HEARTS
十一。詹姆士
十二。姊妹情
十三。紫丁香
十四。傲慢與偏見
十五。愛憎恨
十六。我知道
十七。銀色的淚水
十八。一團糟
十九。像我們的女孩
二十。固執的女孩們
二十一。別哭了
二十二。我們都是鏡子
二十三。死亡的翅膀
二十四。莎拉
THREE | THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT
二十五。世界真醜陋
二十六。世界真奇怪
二十七。當我們睡覺時,我們去哪裡?
二十八。開始總比結果容易
二十九。別再傷害我了
三十。世界全轉了
三十一。姊妹談
三十二。哥兒們聊
三十三。這是我們的世界
三十四。當天堂墜落
三十五。男孩女孩
author's note

二十八。超新星

93 10 1
By nyxiekitsune

supernova)

notes: matteo martinez's name has been changed to Miguel Martinez.

SATURDAY MORNING. Two weeks after the funeral, around a week after Sarah declared war on Livia for absolutely no reason except she could. Livia took a long sip from her mug, shying away from the early morning sun. She pulled the blinds together, spinning around as she strolled back to the kitchen counter, where her breakfast laid. Pamela and their mother sat there, too, enjoying their food. Their father wouldn't be back until tomorrow evening after a lengthy business trip in Guangzhou.

"Such a pretty morning. Livia, pull back the curtains, please?" Her mother requested. Livia sighed but did as she was told.

"It's almost graduation, Livia," her mom continued. "Are you ready for college?"

"Can I not be ready for college?" She replied, exasperated. "Summer holidays are in like, less than a month. I'll be fine, don't worry."

She's already found an apartment and a roommate. Kalama Kauhane. Cute name. She's Polynesian, moving here from Hawaii.

"I know," her mom nodded. "I know. Pamela, how's school?"

"You've seen my exam results," Pamela scowled, irritated.

"I don't mean how you're performing at school," her mother said, rolling her eyes. "I meant your social life."

"Good."

That was the end of that.

***

What on earth was all that sound? Livia looked up from her desk, frustrated, storming towards the balcony. Poking her head out, she glanced around but was unable to locate the sound. She let out a groan, letting the blurred screams pass through her head. She had no idea what it was saying.

Livia ran towards Pamela's room. Their mother had left earlier to visit a friend after lunch. Ramming her knuckles against the door, Pamela emerged a moment later looking tired. "What the hell do you want? Why add to the noise?"

"Where is it from?" Livia asked, visibly annoyed. "It's so loud and obnoxious!"

"No idea," Pamela shrugged. "I'm just using my headphones to block it out. Probably arguing neighbours."

Livia opened her mouth to answer, but just at that moment, another scream bellowed through the air. "Get your face out of here!"

Livia's eyes snapped to the direction the sound came from. "That was the twins."

"James," Pamela agreed with a nod. "Should we go check it out?"

Livia bit her lips. She was curious, but she also didn't want him to see her. Victoire should be home today... same with Jason. Who was James getting mad at (or was it Jack?)

"C'mon, I'll get dressed. Let's go."

Livia snuck back into her room, putting on her bra and a jacket before slipping downstairs with Pamela in tow. The screaming had not stopped- Livia hadn't expected it to. It takes a lot to rile up James McHill, and a lot to calm him down.

She didn't know what to expect, but she certainly didn't foresee Mr Martinez standing in the McHill front yard.

She could spy Victoire, wild-eyed, behind a window. Jason wrapped his hands around her, Jack with his hands around his mouth, eyes glimmering with tears next to the porch. James stood in the centre, opposing a frustrated Miguel Martinez. It was a battlefield, Livia realised, a game of chess. She had no place in it, so she watched, Pamela by her side, jaws dropped.

"NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOUR FACE AROUND HERE AFTER WHAT YOU DID!" James screeched, his face red with rage. He leaned forward, as if about to lunge at the man, but decided against it. Livia's eyebrows furrowed. What did Miguel Martinez do?

"I didn't do anything, boy!" Mr Martinez shot back, pushing back his hair as if preparing for a business meeting. "Where are your parents? Did they not teach you any manners? This is extremely rude and unwarranted. I came here to talk, not to be yelled at by a teenager. Where are Alicia and Connor?"

"You don't deserve any manners," James replied, his voice still raised. "I'm not blind or an idiot, you know- I've seen what you do to Melody."

What did Melody's father do? Livia scowled, pacing forward quickly, but staying quiet enough to not attract any attention. She felt Pamela's hand firmly grip hers before letting go.

"I've done nothing to her. Besides, what happens within our family is our family's business. You have no right to meddle with it."

"I have no right to meddle when you were fucking beating her? You know, for so long, I thought I was the reason she's gone. I was the last person she talked to. But no. It was all your fault. You're the reason she did what she did!"

What was he talking about? Livia took a step back, falling besides Pamela. She exchanged an inquirious look with her sister, but Pamela simply shrugged. She was just as clueless.

Was Mr Martinez ever abusive? To Livia's memory, he had always been a cold man. He was strict and unforgiving, going through life like a polished knife. Anyone who stood in his way found themselves with a blade through their heart in his attempt to climb the way up. There were rumours, of course, of illegal deals and drug addiction, but Livia always decided that those allegations stemmed from his race. A lot of non-Caucasians faced some degree of racism in Briarville. They faced it everywhere. Livia did, too. Jeers and mocks that people defended as a ghost. No one gives a shit if it's a joke or not. It's still racist and offensive.

But that was not the point today.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Mr Martinez said in that soothing voice he used to talk with little children. Livia scowled. What the heck was going on? Why was he here, anyways? Didn't he move out? Isn't he getting a divorce with Mrs Martinez- no, she's Sanchez now? Why was he even here, since he had moved out? This street doesn't link to anywhere important where Livia could foresee Miguel going. "I'm sorry to say this, James, but you are simply delusional and a terrible child."

"Is that why you hit Melody so much? Because she was a terrible child? You're a bad person looking for excuses to justify your bad actions and decisions that have caused terrible consequences."

Miguel scowled. "No! I never hit her. She acted out once or twice, but I never hit her!"

Livia felt obliged to speak up. "I'm sorry to say, but I think we both know that's a lie, Mr Martinez."

It was no secret that Melody's parents occasionally hit her. Most people simply accepted it- from what they saw, it was never too serious. A slap on the face when she said something wrong. Pinching her cheeks when she stepped out of line. Nothing that ever raised alarms. Even the McHills, who were firmly against physical punishment let it be. Livia's parents perfectly accepted it.

His eyes snapped to her. James' eyes widened, and Jack simply looked confused as Livia took a step forward. James mouthed something that looked like shit. Was this the secret? That Melody's father beat her? It wasn't anything special. Livia's mother hit her once or twice too. It was classical Asian mother stereotype shit. (Except Melody's not quite Asian, is she?) Or was what Miguel inflicted on his daughter much more serious? If so, why did Melody never tell her? She was her best friend, after all.

She didn't want to burden you. James' words rung clear in her head. Was that why? Because Melody didn't want to burden Livia with her own dark secret when it was clear that she still hadn't fully moved on?

Livia thought about it. What would she have done if she had been in James' place? Livia would have instantly gone to an adult for help. A teacher, probably, one of the few competent ones. She'd let the teacher take over from there. Melody would probably have been directed to the school counselor. If it had gotten serious, the police might have been involved.

Maybe that was why Melody told James instead. James kept it quiet for this long. Melody must have wanted to keep this a secret, but didn't want to keep it all to herself. She understood why. It hurts, after a while. Setting your heart aflame, the knowledge of things you shouldn't know. You want to share it, but you're too afraid to. That was how Lin Daiyu met her demise in the book Dream of the Red Chamber.

How? Livia found herself thinking. How did James keep such a terrible thing away from the public eye for so long? Did he lose any sleep over it? What did he feel when he saw Miguel Martinez during the funeral (Livia had missed it. She didn't want to. But she didn't have much of a choice.)

He rolled his eyes. "Once or twice, when she made a horrible mistake, yes," he announced in a self-dignified manner. Livia frowned.

"Then why lie about it?"

James interrupted before Miguel could say anything. "You're a terrible liar. You could afford to stick to one story, you know? Do you want to know what Melody said to me that day?"

"I-"

"-I told her to get help. She refused to. She didn't want to get you into trouble. Even though you were such a terrible person, she defended you-"

"-it was a family matter!"

"Family matters are family matters until they aren't, Mr Martinez," James ragefully whispered. "And it was no longer a family matter when Melody chose to tell me about it. Besides, it's just morally wrong to do things like that. It wasn't a once or twice problem, or a quick beating. It wasn't a slap when she did something wrong and then an apology. You hurt her. All the time."'

"And you, are a brat who thinks you know everything but you don't. Such things are past us, James. Turn a new leaf. Move on. You gain nothing holding onto tragic accidents like these." Tragic accidents? Is that truly what he thought of the death of his only daughter?

James didn't hesitate. "This isn't about me gaining something. This is about the truth and justice. I won't move on until you get what you deserve, I'm sorry to say."

Miguel let out a scoff. "There is no proof. No evidence. Even if you dig it out, what are you going to do? Go to the police? I didn't beat her that bad."

"It's still child abuse." That was the first time Jack had spoken since this fiasco started, taking a few steps forward, laying his hand on James' shoulder. "James was kind enough not to tell anyone before because he made a promise to Melody. I'm sure Melody is alright with him breaking it today to inform you of your own mistakes- even if they are in the past. We're not the only people in this street, Mr Martinez," Jack said, gesturing to the houses around them and the few people gathered in the courtyard. "I don't think we'll be going to the authorities, but there are other punishments for your mistake. I, for one, will be making sure my parents are alerted of such misconduct. I'm sure Livia and Pamela will do the same. As will Heather," he gave his next door neighbour, a pretty girl of fourteen a firm nod. Heather returned with a thumbs up.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this."

"I'm not."

James wasn't meeting anyone's eye. His jaw flexed, flames flickering in his sapphire eyes. This was the protective side of James. Unflinching, unforgiving. This was the side James showed to those who hurt his friends. He was a guard dog, refusing to let go until a person admitted that they were wrong and gave a proper apology- but Livia had a feeling an apology wouldn't cut it this time.

And maybe she felt a bit of guilt too- guilt at not believing James, at refusing to forgive and accept him because he refused to tell her the true reasoning of his meeting with Melody that day. If she had known it was this serious, she wouldn't have asked or pressed. She always thought it was a stupid dispute. She thought maybe they had gotten into some weird, childish argument. Or maybe it was about her moving. Livia only talked with Melody a few times after her moving before the news broke. She felt her eyes water at the thought, but flicked them away with her fingers before anyone could notice.

Livia had never been good at forgiving, but maybe this time, she was finally the one asking for forgiveness. The idea haunted her.

"This is ridiculous!"

Miguel Martinez was not done just yet, as he brushed off his jacket with a few graceful sweeps. Livia felt her gaze harden. This wasn't about her. This was about justice for Melody.

"You are all children, and none of you have any idea what you're talking about. As I said at the start of the conversation, what happens in the family stays in the family. All of you have no business messing with my family's problems."

"They're not your family anymore," James pointed out. "You got divorced with Ms Sanchez. Melody's already gone, and you will not ruin her legacy by considering yourself part of her family."

The look Miguel sent him was withering, scorching the earth in a fiery blaze. To his credit, James didn't as much flinch. He stood firm, his head held high.

A smile emerged on Livia's face. A cold smirk that hadn't found its way onto her face for a while, playful, deadly and approving.

They are here to honour their fallen friend.

This is not a selfish problem. This is for justice. Miguel Martinez is the common enemy now.

Pamela knew it too, falling into strides as the two sisters marched onwards to the McHill property. They stopped outside the gates. Heather's eyes were hardened. Livia didn't have that many memories of Heather. They hung out together, once or twice, but Heather was too young to have remembered. Livia, too, in a way. But she knew Heather and Melody always got along. She hadn't really noticed the younger girl much since moving here, since they mostly hung out in different groups.

"You don't get to choose your family, James. I'd thought you're old enough to guess that."

"We've always been able to choose our family," he said coolly in response. "And Melody never chose you. You were a terrible father. I hope you know that."

"You have no right to lecture me."

"We don't need your permission," Jack scoffed. "Just go away. You're not welcomed here. The entire world is watching you, anyways, and I'm sure you have that much dignity left."

"Please just leave," Livia suggested quietly, giving the man a curt nod. Miguel's nose flared, but he said nothing. He spun on his heels, facing the streets. His jaw flexed, as if he wanted to say something, but decided against it as he stormed into the car. Within a moment he was off.

For the next few seconds, everyone just stared. When the curse finally wore off, and they all began moving again- Heather disappearing into her house, Victoire vanishing from the window, though Jason still stood there, watching, Livia grabbed Pamela's hand and yanked her sister towards their own house. Pamela pursed her lips, as if contemplating staying, but finally decided to follow Livia.

Then, she heard James yell her name. Still, she didn't turn her head, shutting her eyes to stop the red hot tears from falling. She wiped them off before Pamela could see them. Still, from the way her sister reached out to grip her arm, she could tell Pamela knew very well what Livia felt then.

"Let's go home."

Pamela gave her a long look.

"Yeah. Let's go home."

***

Nothing changed, even though Livia wanted to say otherwise. She didn't apologise to James. She didn't say anything to him, actually. She avoided anyone who was there that day- safe Pamela, like a plague. She didn't want to see them. She couldn't bear to see them. It hurt her pride.

One day passed.

Two days.

If her parents noticed anything, they didn't say. They're so used to Livia being moody now, they're completely indifferent. She can't blame them for not wanting to deal with her bullshit (except it's not exactly her bullshit, is it...?)

She's a coward. She's said it before, but this is the first time Livia's truly and wholeheartedly believed it. She's a coward, refusing to face her mistakes, protecting her pride with every step she takes. She doesn't want to be wrong, even when she knows that she is. She's a horrible human being.

Maybe a part of Melody's death was her fault too.

Maybe it was all of their fault.

Maybe in a way, all of them contributed to Melody's death. Maybe it was them, the invisible hands guiding and pushing her into the streets for the car to run her over.

Livia Wong felt like shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318K 9.2K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...
4.1K 235 36
"He might hear you"my best friend said. "Hear what?"he asked from the back and the least I could do was shrivel at the hearing of his voice. "Somethi...
238 2 7
** Trigger Warning ** • Disclaimer: All messages & names have been changed & adapted. This is a novel based on creating awareness for bullying and m...
94.7K 6.4K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...