Embers [Completed]

By Amon_Rawya

SET ALIGHT BOOK ONE Theme: Chances - - Loreley Jordan Scarlette-Swan has never been ordinary a day in her li... More

Embers
~Playlist~
{Forks}
{Had Me From Hello}
{Revelations}
{For The Flower}
{Unwanted Memories}
{Realisation}
{I Haven't Broken His Nose Yet}
{For Dinner}
{Meltdown}
{Strengthening Bond}
{We Could Work}
{We Can Be Heros}
{Sharing, Caring, And A Special Moment}
{Already Yours}
{Under His Skin}
{Nightmare}
/Mid Book/
{Waking Up With Him}
{Worth Gossiping About}
{Gratitude}
{Identify}
{One Last Time}
{Blitz}
{I'm Holding A Diamond}
{Shut The Door Next Time}
{Baseball Game}
{Fleeing Forks}
{Stories To Pass The Time}
{Sickness}
{Love Letters And Last Goodbyes}
{Room Of Mirrors}
{Wake Up, Scarlette}
{Time Of My Life}
Thank You So Much!
Bonus Chapter

{I'm Not A Fool}

11.9K 376 53
By Amon_Rawya

I notice Bella constantly looking for Edward over the next week, seemingly pissed off every time he never showed.

Although I tried to ask her about it, Bella just shrugged and said he was a dick when they met.

I haven't had as much trouble with Jasper. We're top of the History class as partners, and have shared quite a few interesting conversations.

He's sweet, and, while still rather shy, seems to enjoy talking. The softness of his voice always takes me by surprise.

I've gathered that he is indeed, from Texas. Along with the fact that he has a staggering amount of knowledge about history, Jasper comes across as wildly intelligent. Listening to him talk about anything is interesting.

I'm walking to class alone today, because apparently Edward is back and of course, Bella's gone.

My head hurts for some reason. I think I hit it in my sleep. Either that or Bella yapping my ear off about little Eddie has finally worn on my sanity.

"Are you okay?"

Jasper's smooth Texan accent rips me from my pained stupor. A brief smile flashes across my face as I run a hand through my hair.

"Sorry, I'm scattered today."

"It's fine. But you keep rubbing your forehead, so something must be wrong," he says.

"It's just a headache. Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow," I say, returning to rubbing my forehead.

"Maybe-maybe I could help," he says, so quietly it's almost imperceptible.

I turn to him. "Really? Do you know any magical remedies for someone taking a jackhammer to my skull?"

He chuckles and his hands tense up a little. "Not exactly. But people put cold packs on their heads to soothe it, right?"

"Yeah. Do you have one?"

The corner of his mouth tugs in a nervous smile. "I guess."

He reaches over to me with his hands outstretched. They hover a little away from my face. When I don't object, he gently, ever so gently, presses his fingers to my temples.

They are ice cold, like nothing I've felt before. But there's something underneath, an odd warmth. I wouldn't compare it to what other people's skin feels like. No, it's a different type of warmth, one that makes me think only I can feel it.

My eyelids flutter closed at the almost instant relief it gives me. The throbbing inside my head is purged by the most soothing coolness I've ever felt.

"Woah..." I say, letting the word slip out accidentally.

"I'm sorry," Jasper says, quickly retracting his hands. "Did I hurt you?"

It takes me a minute before I can open my eyes again. The shock of pain being so easily taken away is startling.

"Oh, no. You didn't hurt me. In fact, that was more effective than any pain killer I've ever taken," I say.

His lips pick up a bit. "Oh. Well, I'm glad."

A nervous energy is still hanging around him, though. He's sitting stiffly and watching me warily. I finally, after a minute of feeling stupid, figure out what he's getting agitated about.

"Why are your hands so cold?" I ask softly.

"It's a...medical condition. All my adoptive siblings have it."

"Huh. Does it effect your eyes, too?" I ask.

Jasper stares for a moment, clearly shocked by my question. "Yes."

"Is that why Mr and Mrs Cullen adopted you all? Because of the condition?"

"In part. They have it too, and understand what it is like to be a sort of outcast in society."

"I have noticed people tend to avoid you," I say, frowning. "Personally, I don't understand it."

Jasper does his crooked half smile. "And I have noticed you're different from the people in this school."

I grin. "That's me sweetheart. One of a kind, and one in a million."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later on that day, Bella drags me aside to complain about Edward's mood swings, and I try my best to be receptive to her.

But it's hard, because since my classes dropped Jasper, my headache has gotten worse.

I think maybe Jasper can tell, because after I rub my head for the millionth time I catch him watching from the other side of the parking lot.

"I just don't understand. What did I say wrong?" Bella sighs and shakes her head.

"Bells, I'm sure you're just overreacting. Everyone has off days," I say, rubbing my eyes hard.

The throbbing is so much worse. But I can't figure out why it's there. My last fight was weeks ago, so that's not the cause.

I have to lean on the truck hood as another wave of pain hits me hard. It may be weird, but I've never wanted a specific someone's hands on my face more than now.

A loud squealing fills my ears and Bella grabs my wrist tightly as I whirl around. Time slows as the van comes hurtling sideways at the truck.

I grab Bella and shove her down, trying to get her to roll under her truck. But a pair of hands wrap around my waist, too cold to be anyone else.

Jasper presses me down and I feel the vibrations of the van hitting something solid.

I manage to twist and see that not only has the van bounced, but it has a dent in it almost exactly matching the curve of Jasper's back.

He should be in pieces. I've seen people get hit like that. His back should be destroyed.

"Jasper?! What the hell! Are you alright?"

His eyes are wide, but the only thing that could give away what just happened are the creases on his jacket.

Jasper gets up and hops over the car, disappearing into the gathering crowd without a word.

"Bella? Bella, are you alright?" I ask, reaching to help my sister up.

She looks too shocked to speak, and is fixated on staring at the hand dent just a little farther from Jasper's.

"Bella, I'm so sorry. I panicked," the boy in the van says.

But Bella doesn't reply as we're swarmed by people on the phone with 911.

I can't see Jasper anywhere, but the chills on my back from his chest haven't faded.

The fussing irritates me, and I try to leave, but the ambulance gets there and ushers us into the back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've done my best to brush off the doctors that keep coming over to me. I hate this kind of attention.

Then Charlie bursts through the doors and rushes over. Worry is written all over his face as he eyes Bella and I.

"Girls, are you alright?" He asks.

"Yeah," I say.

"We're fine, Dad," Bella says.

Charlie rips into the boy who nearly hit us, until Bella and I both insist he did nothing wrong.

The doors burst open again.

"I heard the Chief's daughters were here," the man says.

His skin is pale like Jasper's, and his eyes are honey coloured, so I know who it is.

"Dr. Cullen," Charlie greets.

Dr. Cullen smiles, showing pearly white teeth, and begins checking Bella over.

"Isabella, I'm Dr. Cullen. It seems you've taken quite a spill. How do you feel?" He asks.

"Fine," Bella says.

"You may experience some post traumatic stress or anxiety, both of which are completely normal," he says as he flits a flashlight from eye to eye.

"It would have been a lot worse if it weren't for Edward," Bella says.

"Edward?" Charlie says, and looks to Dr. Cullen. "Your boy?"

"Jasper too," I add, not wanting his feat to go ignored.

"Yeah. It was amazing. They got to us so fast, they were no where near us," Bella presses.

"Well, I was told by both that Jordan was the one who saved you by pushing you under the truck," Dr. Cullen says, smiling at me.

Charlie beams at me. I shrug awkwardly. "Reflex."

We are both cleared, and leave. Charlie tells Bella to call mom. I give her a pointed look quite clearly stating it is her job.

But as we walk to the side, we catch a few snippets of conversation from Jasper, Edward, Rosalie and Dr. Cullen gathered in the hall.

"I think we should take this in my office," Dr. Cullen says softly.

They turn and see Bella and I watching. To be honest, I feel bad for intruding on a private conversation. Even though I'm dying for answers.

Edward and Jasper walk over to us. Bella pounces on Ed and I decide to give them some space.

I've never seen Jasper so tense. His eyes don't drift from me for a second, and if I didn't watch carefully I would say he isn't breathing.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah. Thanks to you," I say.

His arms tense, and his hands tighten inside his pockets.

"Are you? I mean, you took most of the force," I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine," he says.

"So...how're you gonna get yourself outta this one?" I grin.

His lips twitch. "Well. As for how quickly I got to you; I was already on my way to you. I saw you rubbing your head and decided to try and help."

"Okay." I cross my arms. "Now, the hardest part."

"As I was on my way to you, I saw the van and got an adrenaline rush. That coupled with the bone strength my condition creates, I was able to stop us from being crushed."

A laugh bubbles up in my throat. I put my hand on his shoulder and lean forward.

"Jasper, thank you for saving my life. But that's the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard." I glance at Bella, who looks pissed. "Still, I bet your explanation is a hellava lot better than Edwards."

Jasper chuckles shortly, allowing himself a slightly bigger smile than usual.

"Look, Jasper. You saved my life. But I'm not that gullible. I'd rather you just say you don't want to talk about it than take me for an idiot," I say.

"I do not take you for an idiot, Jordan. You're very intelligent," he says seriously.

"Then please be honest with me. If I ask a question you can't answer tell me," I say.

"I will." He nods.

Bella storms out to the parking lot, leaving Edward looking stiffer than a plank of wood.

"Apparently, our talk went better than theirs. I need to go. Again, thank you, Jasper." I turn to follow Bella.

"I don't understand," Jasper says suddenly, louder than anything I've heard him say.

I turn back to him. He holds my gaze carefully. A smile slips onto my face.

"I know what it's like to have things you can't share with anyone else," I say, and walk out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 4.5K 48
SET ALIGHT BOOK THREE Theme: Fire Meets Fate by Ruelle. - - - The winds of change are blowing Jordan towards the edge of a cliff, where roaring wave...
28.4K 782 20
𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒐𝒚? "He always has that 𝗜 𝗵𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘆...
1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
333K 6.8K 21
Marceline Cullen. A born-again vampire to the Cullen family, specifically, born-again to none other than Edward Cullen himself. She turned her back...