Code Black (on hiatus)

By Xin-Yang

More than half of my life had been dedicated on tracking extraordinary activities and making sense of eccentr... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Eleven (S.C.)
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen (S.C.)
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty two
Twenty Three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty

Ten

48 3 0
By Xin-Yang

Chapter 11: Wolf

Amber

"Amber, do you have a minute? Come with me. Let's check the security cameras." Suho nudged me and walked first. He glanced back again to gesture at Chen to come with us.

The three of us walked away from the immobilizing room, while Xiumin, Chanyeol and Jaehee hurried inside it to investigate further. I can understand their panic. Not that we only have a missing member, but we also lost our only possible lead to find Byun Baekhyun.

I followed the captain and Chen, their backs facing me. No one is saying a word. I can compare the gestures between the both from behind, and I cannot help but agree with the idea that Suho's doing well managing all of the commotion calmly.

This is how he acts since then. He may not be the best of keeping it all together since I can still see subtle gestures of distress, but the captain is doing a good job conveying courage to his colleagues. I'm sure that Mr. Lee, the CEO, would not be impressed by Exo's considered worst failure, and the captain's unbothered would be shielding the rest of us from humiliation and prick vocabulary of the officers.

We got to the room where all the video footages are being kept. Just like how I imagined it to be, a full wall of monitors from every angle of Eres' facility.

"Mister, the video footage in the immobilizing room please."

"I am certain that the tape is not tampered since you requested for it only a while ago. But there is clearly something wrong with it." The officer-in-charge of the videos stated in almost a mumble. I shifted my weight from one foot to another, my stomach uncomfortable with all the nervousness and frustration.

"Yes, I thought of that. I am also aware that the captive is heavily monitored and guarded, but he still managed to escape. We appreciate the hard work Sir, thank you." Suho said, affirming the officer.

"Chen, I want you to closely observe this."

We intently watched the video footage of Zitao in the immobilizing room, sitting quietly with his hands handcuffed behind and feet tied to the chair.

I did not blink, afraid to miss any essential detail. Zitao might be thinking hard to figure out a plan, but his expression says otherwise. His face is deadly calm.

Moments later, the handcuffs behind Zitao gently fell apart.

The uneasiness started crawling from the lower limbs to my spine, and my being was already thrown into utter shock.

Omniscient

"I am very certain that those shackles are new, well-made and difficult to pick. What happened? Is it replaced?" Amber blurted out, listing all possible reasons she can think of.

Suho chose not to respond, undisturbed in observing how Zitao's escape unfold.

"This does not make any sense." Chen mumbled.

A tensed silence dominated the atmosphere once more. They watched their prisoner through the video footage, shaking the remaining dirt in his hands, massaging both of his wrist. Shortly after this, Zitao bent to reach for his ankles.

Amber's mouth fell ajar.

Zitao effortlessly pulled the ropes, and it was torn to half, setting his legs free. The strain that his arm muscles exerted into that rope is of little amount. Zitao barely had a sweat.

"This is impossible." Amber mumbled, recalling the hefty security she enforced to assure that Zitao would not be able to escape in any way. She's remembering every possible circumstance that she may missed and find the fault that her judgements made.

"And this is when everything went alarmingly unclear." The officer a while ago remarked. His hand tight against his chair's arm rest.

No pair of eyes dared to move away from the big screen.

Zitao stood up, staring at his now empty chair. He then glanced on the security cameras, the side of his mouth twitched upwards. He took a single and casual stride backwards, and Amber, Suho and Chen witnessed how his figure dissolved into thin air.

In a split second, he was gone. The escape barely took a minute.

If the Exo members could look even more distressed, it was this moment that they do. Everyone inside that room, especially Amber, Suho and Chen, dove deeper into confusion. Their mind thrown out of order.

"H-he..." Amber stuttered.

"How on earth did he do that?!" Chen was not able to contain his panic.

"Excuse me sir, can you repeat that?" Suho requested, urgency in his voice.

The man obeys and the video repeats.

Within every little glitch, in every little corner, Chen tried hard to seek for any sign of digital tampering. He was desperately searching for any indicator of cyber interference.

To his dismay, he could not find any. Maybe not with this kind of observation.

"Captain, can I have a copy of the video footage? I should closely examine this." Chen said, seriousness engraved in his tone.

Upon receiving the tapes, the three puzzled agents proceeded back to the immobilizing room, arriving with Xiumin, Chanyeol and Jaehee's serious discussion. They seem as perplexed as the three are.

Amber's gaze went from Chen to Chanyeol. It almost made her sad that it has been days since she saw any hint of light on their faces.

"Captain." Xiumin addressed. They were standing next to the chair that once held their captive. Chanyeol lends a piece of rope to their leader "The ropes... they are shabby and delicate."

Amber blinked in surprise. "Oppa, I swear it is at its best condition last night when I left it. I..." her explanations faded in her throat, there's no way she could reason out with her negligence.

"Amber, don't take the blame." Suho attempted to affirm her. But Amber's eyes are low, shoulders slumped ini dejection. A twinge climbed from Suho's chest to his throat. Seeing Amber that unhappy pierced unto a sore spot inside him.

"We are all aware that you would never disregard your responsibilities, Amber. It's not your fault." – Xiumin

"That stray dog obviously had some tricks up his sleeves." Chanyeol said, his jaw tightened.

Amber was not convinced otherwise.

"I don't know what he did. The shackles vanished from the rust. The ropes, which were once sturdy became too breakable overnight." -Jaehee thought out loud.

"It's Code black, and we are dealing with an ability wielder. Now, the problem is... we're uncertain of what he's capable of. Perhaps, he weakens things in contact?" The eldest tried to create possible scenarios and list rational assumptions. Yet, even he himself was that shaken that he could not think straightly.

"If that is the case, then how come he dissolved into thin air?" Chen said.

The other three's brows furrowed in confusion. Chanyeol leaned his ear towards Chen, hoping he heard it wrongly.

Chen and the captain exchanged meaningful and serious glances. Their leader took a deep breath and explained the whole thing to draw the whole picture. He tried hard not to have his fear become apparent in his voice.

Suho knew that these combinations of actions that Zitao did were manifestation of his control over his ability, and that made the wolves more treacherous; the code black more distressing.

One of these days, he's sure to reach that level of entropy and finally be thrown out of his composure.

A pair of white-rich eyes stared upon Zitao's bruised features, with a blank and unreadable expression, he remained calm and still.

Huang Zitao blinked tiredly, looking down to him. "Won't you even let me in? I had a very long night."

The smaller gave no response, unaffected with the return of his comrade. "How was the situation back there?" he said in a low baritone.

"They are still clueless, just like how the Alpha first described them."

"You've seen the new facility and learned the new security system. I'm sure it's of a great help." The smaller guy started to slide a wooden door open, gesturing Zitao to come in.

Zitao took long, weary strides. "If only we'd caught him and not this light boy." He mumbled under his breath.

Little did Exo know, is that everything is going according to the Wolves' plans, and everything is falling out of Eres' favor.

College drained the life out of me, and I'm happy I was able to update (even tho i know no one's reading this haha) Thank you for anyone, who happens to find out and read this story! Thank you!

I'll be using a different chapter division from now on, that Code Black title in the middle.

The next chapter would be a break from all the tense, but possibly not a break from drama.

Anyways, enjoy the weekend!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 233 45
(Warnings: Mild language, violence, death, intense themes) Your friends have been trying to form a boy band for ages. They're incredibly talented, bu...
2.7K 190 35
"Who are you?" I asked. "Why are you hiding?" "Who am I?" I could hear his scoff. "I'm not hiding. I don't need to hide in my own castle." His own...
1K 87 41
In the world where the danger is waiting in every step.....will they be able to protect each other after being apart for 8 years ???? What will happe...
2.1M 37.7K 124
Just some short stories... Requests welcome :) >> ENJOY! Love, Kxx If you want to request something please post it on @kayrequestbook'...