Outlaw - Born & Bred

By MichelleTorlot

Casie Mallard is 12 years old. She's only ever know the life of an Outlaw with her Father. When her Father is... More

Chapter 1: Goodbye Pa
Chapter 2: A Good Horse
Chapter 3 - Fear is the Key
Chapter 4 - This is Family
Chapter 5 - No one gets left behind
Chapter 6 - Big Trouble
Chapter 7 - How to save a life
Chapter 8 - A Bad Person
Chapter 9 - A New Start
Chapter 10 - Knives and Nightmares
Chapter 11 - Growing up
Chapter 12 - The White Arabian
Chapter 13 - An Old Friend
Chapter 14 - Betrayal
Chapter 15 - Touch and Go
Chapter 16 - Cumberland Falls
Chapter 17 - The Letter
Chapter 18 - Anger
Chapter 20 - St. Denis
Chapter 21 - Abigail
Chapter 22 - Truth and Revenge
Chapter 23 - Family
Chapter 24 - Colm O'Driscoll
Chapter 25 - Hanging Dog Ranch
Chapter 26 - Recovery and Plans
Chapter 27 - Money and Revenge
Chapter 28 - Payback
Chapter 29 - Rescue
Chapter 30 - Escape
Chapter 31 - Leaving
Chapter 32 - Departure

Chapter 19 - The Grave

1.3K 36 3
By MichelleTorlot

Dutch guided Casie to the table in his room. The same table, where a few days before, the others had read her suicide letter. She sat down, she hoped it wasn't going to be one of these lovey-dovey conversations. Otherwise, punching Dutch out, and nearly getting strangled in the process, would have all been, in vain.

Dutch walked across the room, and opened a cabinet in the corner. He grabbed two glasses, and a bottle, and returned to the table.

He placed the glasses on the table, and poured two large measures, passing one of them across the table to Casie.

"Fine brandy," she commented, looking at the label on the bottle, "this doesn't come out very often, I don't suppose."

Dutch took a sip of the brandy, then rubbed his nose. "You have quite a right hook there, Casie." He conceded.

Casie took a sip from her glass, it was smooth, not like the normal whisky that you could purchase in the saloon, or store.

"Is that the reason for this," she motioned towards the bottle, with her glass, "to celebrate my right hook, or your potentially broken nose?"

Dutch to a larger sip, from his glass, "both, neither, does a father have to have an excuse to share a drink with his daughter?" he asked.

Casie looked at Dutch's face, there was no anger, but no smile either.

"I guess not," she replied, taking another drink. "But this is the first time we've done this."

"So Daddy, what's the real reason for this?" She asked. The word Daddy, hung in the air, neither of them sure if they liked it, or not.

Dutch took another drink, then refilled his glass. "I think that you and I have lost something Casie. The bond we had, since Sean's death."

Casie stiffened at the mention of Sean's name. Dutch noticed, but he also noticed, that there was no change to the expression on Casie's face.

He put the glass down. "You blame me for his death, don't you?"

Casie finished the glass of brandy in one gulp.

"No, I blame me for his death, and John. But mostly me." She slammed the glass down on the table. "I'm angry, really angry," she yelled, then she took a deep breath, and calmed her voice. "More angry than I was when I first came to you, all those months ago. What I just did to you, punching you. That was a small amount of my anger, and frustration being released. I have to keep a lid on it, Dutch, if I don't, I really don't know what will happen."

"Then we need to let it out, but we need to channel it." Dutch smiled, "Who are you most angry with? Apart from yourself."

Casie took a deep breath, her face was expressionless. "Everyone, everything. Because everyone is walking around, acting like nothing has happened, going about their business as normal. But me, I look at everything differently. Nothing is the same as it was before, and it won't be again."

Dutch picked up the bottle of brandy, and refilled their glasses.

"It won't feel like this forever Casie. I ain't gonna lie to you, it's always gonna hurt, but not like it is now. I know, I've been where you are now, when I lost...Annabelle." Dutch took a large drink from his glass.

"First, we need to take you to Sean's grave. Then we need to find a focus, for that anger."

Casie took a large gulp of brandy. "I..I don't think I'm ready." She brought her hand up to her chest, as she felt her heart pounding harder in her chest.

Dutch leaned over, and placed his hand over the top of hers. "Remember what I said to you?"

Casie looked him in the eye, "yes I remember, only this time...Its not the same."

Dutch placed his other hand on Casie's cheek, "no, baby girl, its worse. Its not that you don't have any tears left, its you're too afraid to let them fall. You know, as well as I do, that when you see Sean's grave, you won't be able to stop them."

Casie pulled away from Dutch, "you're gonna make me go, aren't you?"

Dutch leaned back in his chair, and finished his glass of brandy. "Yes, Casie," he said, "I am."

Dutch walked to the doors which led onto the balcony, in his room. He had a good view of the whole camp from up here.

"Mr Trelawny, Mr Bell, Mr Morgan, Mr Matthews," he shouted, across the camp. "A moment of your time, gentlemen." He turned around, and walked back into the room.

Casie, got up, and started to head for the door.

"No Casie. I want you here too. Josiah has word on Jack, and probably Abigail. We need to decide what to do."

Casie, half breathed a sigh of relief. If they were talking about Jack and Abigail, then it might mean going after them, rather than having to visit Sean's grave.

Casie, sat back down, and waited for the others. She hadn't really seen Micah, or Arthur, since they brought her back from the falls. This could be quite awkward.

Dutch picked up the glasses, and the bottle of brandy from the table, and put them back in the cupboard. He returned to the table, and sat down, drumming his fingers on the table, his rings, making the noise even louder. Casie thought, for someone who had been so patient with her, he seemed to be incredibly impatient with the others.

After a few moments, the door opened, and the men trooped in, and seated themselves around the table.

You could almost cut the atmosphere with a knife. No one wanted to be the first to speak.

Dutch stopped drumming, and cleared his throat. "Mr Trelawny, what news have you got for us?"

Josiah breathed a sigh of relief. At least if they were talking about business, it would take their minds off the current situation with Casie. Although, to him, it didn't look like Casie and Dutch had too many issues. Micah and Arthur, well that was a different story.

"I've managed find out, that Jack has been whisked away, by Abigail's sister." he paused, "my contact in Blackwater, believes she was headed to St. Denis."

"Is that it!" Micah scoffed.

"Oh shut up, Micah, unless your planning on shooting up all of St. Denis until you find them!" Arthur said, sarcastically.

Casie ignored the two men, they obviously still had issues with each other, despite finding her together at Cumberland falls, and bringing her home.

"Josiah," she said "have you got any idea where we should start?"

Josiah smiled at Casie, "yes, my dear." He then addressed the whole gathering. "Abigail's sister, is still a working woman, if you get my drift. So when she's working, she'll need to find someone to look after Jack."

Hosea frowned "What is your thinking on that, Mr Trelawny?"

"We have a picture of Jack, but not of Abigail's sister. I think, if we use a subtle approach, we can find out where Jack will be, when Abigail is working. I would suggest Casie, plays the role of Jack's big sister, whilst we search. Once we find out where he is, Arthur can go and get him, Jack is fond of Arthur, so wont be troubled if Arthur takes him away. Once we have him, Abigail will come looking for him. Then you gentlemen can decide her fate."

Casie stood up, "Come on then, lets get started."

Dutch looked at Casie, "We have another thing to attend to first Casie, Don't we?"

Casie's heart started pounding, and she was unable to disguise the fear in her eyes, and the sweat which erupted from the palms of her hands.

The only two that noticed, were Dutch and Josiah Trelawny.

Josiah looked across at Dutch. "I just need a quick word with Casie."

Josiah and Casie walked out on the balcony, and closed the door.

Casie grabbed Josiah's hands, "please Josiah, you have to help me." She said, in a panicked voice.

"What on earth is the matter, Casie?" He asked.

"It's Dutch, he's going to make me visit Sean's grave. I can't, please, you have to tell him. Tell him, we need to go to St. Denis, straight away." She begged.

Josiah looked at Casie, and shook his head, "I'm sorry Casie, but this time, I think he's right. As hard as it is, you need to do this."

Casie closed her eyes, and sighed. "I thought you were my friend?"

Josiah squeezed Casie's hand, "I am, that's why I'm doing this."

Casie stood next to Ice. She hadn't been to see her since Cumberland falls. She stroked her nose, and the mare nickered. Casie found a peppermint in her pocket, and gave it to Ice. She unhitched the mare, and mounted. She leant forward, and rested on Ice's neck, running her fingers through the soft mane. Trying to steady her nerves.

She felt a hand touch hers. She looked down, to see Josiah.

"Try not to worry, Casie. It will be fine," he said gently.

Casie sat up in the Saddle. She looked around to see Dutch, Micah and Arthur, already mounted.

Josiah quickly mounted his horse.

They left the camp in silence, Micah leading, to take them to where he, and Arthur, had buried Sean.

They rode through the town of Rhodes, and carried on past the track to the old camp. A few miles further along, they left the main road, and headed west, towards the lake. Before they reached the shore, Micah reined in Baylock, and stopped.

"We need to go on foot from here." He said quietly.

Casie watched, as the rest of the group dismounted. She sat on Ice, staring into the distance, not wanting to go any further.

"C'mon Casie, it's time." Dutch's voice, invaded her daydream.

Casie quietly dismounted, and gently stroked Ice's neck.

"Where?" She asked quietly, swallowing hard.

Dutch put his arm around Casie, and rested his hand on her shoulder. They followed Micah and Arthur, into a wooded glade, just above the lake.

Then she saw it. The simple wooden cross, with his name etched into the wood. The smooth stones covering the grave.

Casie gasped, and ran over to the grave, she dropped to her knees, her hands cupped over her mouth to stifle the cry that came from her lips. Tears ran from her eyes, and fell like rain, onto the smooth stones that covered the grave.

Josiah, Micah, Arthur, quietly walked back to the horses, not wanting to intrude on Casie's moment of grief.

Dutch stood a short distance away, and watched Casie, his heart breaking for her.

Her tears fell, until all she could see in front of her, was a blur.

Casie had hoped this wouldn't happen, but deep down, she knew it would, so she just let it all out. All her hopes she had, for a future, together with Sean, poured out in her tears, and flooded his grave.

Casie opened her shirt, and found her necklace, with her mothers wedding band attached. She slipped the necklace over her head.

Casie looked at the wedding band, through teary eyes. She kissed it.

"I will always love you, Sean McGuire." She whispered, and placed the necklace and wedding band, under some of the smooth stones.

Dutch walked over to Casie, took her hands, and helped her to her feet. He wrapped his arms around her, and she buried her head in his chest, tears still flowing.

Dutch stroked Casie's hair, "It's gonna be Ok, baby girl," he whispered, "now lets go home."

Casie looked up at him, "What about Jack, and Abigail?" she asked, quietly.

"I'm sure that can wait, for a couple of days." He said, gently.

They walked back to the horses, Dutch's arm wrapped around her, and her head resting on his shoulder.

The three men watched, as they saw Dutch and Casie emerge from the glade. They quickly mounted up, not saying a word.

Dutch helped Casie onto Ice, then squeezed her hand, before he mounted The Count.

Josiah looked at Dutch, "Where are we going?"

"St. Denis can wait for a couple of days, were going home." Dutch replied, as he kicked his horse on.

Dutch and Casie rode back to Shady Belle, side by side. Their father-daughter bond stronger than ever. Both having suffered the loss, of the love of their lives.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 53 7
Young Elizabeth, the newest member of the Van der Linde gang, allows her inexperience to get the better of her when she falls for Micah Bell. She ma...
28.2K 758 31
❝ 𝐼𝑑 π‘π‘œπ‘’π‘™π‘‘ π‘™π‘Žπ‘ π‘‘. βžπ‘€π‘Žπ‘–π‘ π‘–π‘’ π‘ β„Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘”π‘”π‘’π‘‘, π‘™π‘’π‘Žπ‘›π‘–π‘›π‘” π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘˜ 𝑖𝑛 π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘β„Žπ‘Žπ‘–π‘Ÿ. ❝ 𝐼𝑑 π‘€π‘œπ‘›'𝑑. 𝐼 𝑗𝑒𝑠𝑑 β„Žπ‘œπ‘π‘’ β„Žπ‘’ 𝑏...
24.8K 884 67
The old lady smiled, thinking of her long-time lost lover. They were young, fiery and full of ideals, at the dawn of a new world that was, despite th...
4.4K 52 117
Amelia grew up in riches. She was part Poland, knew a lot of the language despite never being there. Her father hired a tutor for her the moment she...