Code Black (on hiatus)

Від Xin-Yang

More than half of my life had been dedicated on tracking extraordinary activities and making sense of eccentr... Більше

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven (S.C.)
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen (S.C.)
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty two
Twenty Three
Twenty four
Twenty five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty

Eight

54 3 0
Від Xin-Yang

Chapter 8: Without Light

Amber

I still don't know how to adjust with the tensed, worried and silent environment with Baekhyun's absence. The captain had been quieter, observing everything with the captured stranger named Zitao. Eres had been stricter towards Exo and they had been all absent in their daily usual routines.

Three days after Baekhyun's abduction and Zitao's arrest, we are all still left empty-handed. Aside from assumptions, we have nothing and we are unable to trace the identities of any of the Wolves, including Zitao. His data had been all deleted. As if his capture was a indication that he was not a part of the Wolves anymore. His identity vanished from the cloud and digital systems. His features match no one in any local and international database.

Baekhyun was left unfound because of the unsolved mystery of his captors. No lead with the possible culprit and mastermind, then no lead towards Baekhyun.

I ran my fingers through my white hair. I cannot speak of my hunches with anyone... except Chen. I am aware that he's thinking the same way.

Kris.

Everyone is oblivious of the possibilities under the shadows of the missing guy. Though I'll admit that thinking about him is an emotional torment for me, I had to face the probabilities that he can be behind this entire commotion.

I admit that I'm still torn into half, because on the other hand, I knew that Kris would never lay a finger to his brothers.

I am the closest to him, and if anyone around here knew him by heart, it was me. I am certain he would not do something like that, yet... I can not think of anyone who can make us stray with technology like this.

I cannot name anyone who can manipulate computers and databases better than Kris. He was better than Chen; he was his mentor. Though, I am still open to any possibility that there would be someone out there who is as capable as him.

Perhaps the members did not suspect of Kris, or they might be talking among themselves, getting me out of it knowing that it might be too insensitive.

I pulled my sheets and laid on my side. I glanced at my digital clock, seeing that it's past twelve and I'm still wide awake.

It's been days since the incident and appearance of a possible lead, yet nothing productive and helpful was done today. I doubt that the Exo members are having a good night sleep as well. I know that they are as troubled and worried as I am.

It's more disquieting to know that a bunch of people who can be considered equal to possibly the world's utmost agents are out there. They might be watching all of us now from afar, and I am getting paranoid by these all.

A long beep sliced through the silence. I checked my phone and squinted through the dark, adjusting my goggles. Chen sent me a message

I am used of receiving messages at this hour these past few days, especially from EXO and Jaehee. I doubt they're having a good sleep at night.

From: Chen
Amber, are you still up? Can I call?

I sensed the urgency in Chen's message, what is it at this hour?

To: Chen
Yes, I'm still up.

I sent the message and shortly after, my phone began to ring.

"Hello, Chen? What is it?"

"Amber, there are computer codes sent in my programming computer just now..." Chen paused. "It's not from Eres..."

"What? What do you mean?" The odd tone of his voice made me nervous, my weary eyes began to squint.

"Amber, I think this computer code might be from the Wolves."

I sat up straight upon hearing the name.

"What? What does it say?"

"I'm afraid I can't comprehend it. The codes are much more advanced, it is beyond my knowing."

My gut started to grow pits, and I suddenly felt the sweat running along the cracks of my palms. I shifted uneasily in my bed, breathing heavily, weighing the situation.

Chen is an expert with computers and codes, more than that, he is taking advance lessons in computer engineering and programming. He the cyber and digital division's greatest asset. Discovering that he cannot even understand the code made me uneasy of the possibility that the Wolves are indeed much more than what we perceive them to be.

If they have assets that can overpower Baekhyun, and even surpass Chen's expertise, there could be more of them that we should be cautious of.

"Amber? Are you still there??"

"Oh... I'm sorry. It's just that... I'm worried. Chen, think about it. Why would they send it to you? Specifically, you? They might know that you are the only one capable of cracking that code." I composed myself, trying to suppress my nervousness that I cannot really hide in my now shaky voice.

I heard a weary sigh from the other line

"I can try, but it will surely take me a lot of time."

"You can do it, we will be waiting. Notify us when you already decoded it."

"Wait, Amber. The thing is..... you're the first to know, and I have no plans of telling about the message to anyone... even the captain."

"What? Why?" and I received another tired groan from Chen.

"It is possible that Kris-hyung... I mean-- the master hacker sent me these codes."

If that's evenpossible, my stomach grew more uncomfortable. His name pricked another hole in a wound that I was desperately trying to cover. I was anticipating for this discussion, but maybe I assessed my feelings wrongly because it was still aching like this.

"w-why..."

"I'm sorry to bring him up again. I don't intend to be insensitive. But, think about it. He's the only person we know that can create such complex codes, something that is even too complicated for me to take in."

"Does that mean that there's also a possibility that the code is not from the Wolves?"

"Yes, there is. But let's also consider the possibility that he can be part of that pack."

"I don't understand... after those years of silence... why would he resurface now?"

"It is possible that he may have the answer about the Wolves' existence and Baekhyun's whereabouts. Or even about that mysterious guy, Zitao."

I sighed, finally feeling the exhaustion of my body after a long day of work and overthinking. This heavy news was not of any help.

"So, until you cracked the code, we won't tell anyone?"

"I'm also unsure... but I don't want to give any of them false hope or anger. I only called you because I thought you should know... you were the only one who has the same suspicions as me. About him."

"I can tell you that he would never do that, but after all those years of his disappearance, I'm quite unsure. It's hard to tell. Things might have turned, and he could have changed a lot."

"But Amber... ugh, never mind"

The curiosity in his voice was hard ignore.

"It's okay Chen, you can ask me. What is that?"

I know he's going to ask me regarding something I tried hard not to talk about. All this time, everyone related to Kris was careful around me, as if this stuff is walking above thin and fragile ice. I appreciate them being considerate, but these personal feelings cannot excuse me from being rational and useful.

I've always been so honest with my feelings and admitting that I am so hurt and frustrated by his disappearance would only make me look pathetic. So, one day, we all agreed not to talk of him anymore.

"Amber, what would you do if this really is hyung??"

And despite all the remorse over the feeling of betrayal ... this soul is still secretly hoping that it would see him again.

This past long weekend doesn't feel like a weekend at all. To whoever is reading, thank you and sorry for the late and short update.

There's more to come, this chapter is just a "pause" and our chance to breathe. Things will get a lot more complicated from here ;) 

Until the next update! <3

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

132K 6.1K 64
When six years old Moon Hani stumbles upon a weird shaped card that is different from any types of game cards, she doesn't pay it any of her attentio...
35K 1.2K 35
They call us monsters and aliens. All because we came from another planet and have powers they've never seen. They did experiments on us to see how w...
43K 1.5K 9
Twelve souls coexist in the world - each one with a unique power. This generation of souls are somehow called together. Strange events start happenin...
468 15 13
Kyungsoo doesn't know love. He doesn't know what it feels like and he even believes, that he doesn't deserve to be loved. Since he can remember his p...