Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
80
81
82
83

79

14 5 3
By BillTemple1957

As November closed, we got some more amazing news.

Jessie was pregnant with hers and Bobby's first child.

.

Evangeline had been suspicious that she was, for some time, but Jessie kept denying it.

She later told us that she wanted to be past the first couple months, before she made the announcement.

.

Evangeline gave her shit for not telling her, but the anger lasted about ten minutes.

Evangeline and Jessie had become the absolute best of friends and now, sharing their pregnancies, was simply bringing them even closer.

.

Despite our wedding and the wonderful news of babies coming, I was still very sad and concerned.

Something was not right with Whisper.

.

In the last week or so, we had really begun to notice a huge difference in her.

She constantly complained of being 'ill', which completely stunned both Evangeline and I, considering the fact she was a Spirit. She spent many hours, laying on her bed, eyes closed.

She would tell us that she was sleeping, but I had a suspicion that her trips to the so called, 'white room', were becoming more and more frequent, as her time on Earth was lessening.

.

She was also experiencing a tremendous reduction in her abilities.

She could not stay visible all the time. She would be visible for a short period of time and then disappear. We would often search the house for her, but with no luck what so ever.

She would suddenly appear in different areas of the house. When we would question her about the disappearances, she had no idea what we were talking about.

To her, there had been no lapse in time. She only had memories of being with us.

.

She also had a tremendous reduction in her ability to move things. She even had to stop making coffee in the morning, as she could not lift the coffee pot full of water to fill the chamber. After replacing several carafes, we decided that one of us would make the coffee at night before going to bed.

That way, Whisper could at least push the button to start the coffee and have the feeling that she was still making the coffee for us.

.

She was also having trouble reading books and we even had to sit with her when she wanted to read her comics, as she could barely turn the pages.

She could not operate the remotes anymore or turn on her computer.

She spent a huge amount of time simply sitting in front of her television, watching cartoons.

Either Evangeline or myself, had to turn on the television for her.

.

We were both tremendously concerned, and upset beyond words, but what could we do. There were no doctors that we knew of that would make house calls for Spirits.

.

~~~~~

.

"What is happening to me?"

Whisper looked around the white room. There was no one to be seen.

"Where are you?"

.

Alice Dove appeared in front of her.

.

"What is happening to me?" Whisper cried.

.

"Your time is almost up Jenny. The closer you get, the more your abilities will fail you. They are being returned here, to be with you, when you come back."

.

"I don't want to come back. Why can't you understand that?

Why are you making me do this? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

Whisper was now almost in tears.

"I have done what you asked of me. Now, all I want is to be with my Mommy and Daddy."

.

Alice stepped toward her. Whisper did not move.

She hugged her daughter.

"I feel your pain honey, but there is nothing that can be done. They have rules here and we all must follow the rules. Everything happens for a reason."

.

"And what was the reason for me falling into the Atlantic Ocean and drowning?" Whisper demanded to know.

.

Alice stood back. "I don't know sweetie."

.

"And why would you allow me to be on Earth again and to find Will, only to take it all away from me."

.

Alice simply shook her head.

.

"Why would you give me a taste of life again and then take it all away?"

Whisper started crying.

.

Alice stepped toward her.

"I wish I could answer your questions, Jenny, but I honestly don't know."

.

"Then who does?"

Whisper walked away from her mother.

"I didn't ask for this. I didn't ask to die. Why didn't you just leave me be, instead of teasing me with life and then just snatch it back from me."

.

"Jenny..."

.

Whisper shook her head. "Leave me be. Don't bring me back here anymore."

.

"But you have to..."

.

Whisper held up her hands. "I know what you are going to say. Just let me have what time I have left with Daddy and Mommy."

.

Alice walked toward her daughter and hugged her close. "I'm so sorry Whisper. If there was anything I could do."

It was the first time she had called her daughter, Whisper.

.

"Just send me back. This is hard enough.

You know I remember falling into the ocean. The cold water all around me. I couldn't breathe. I was freezing. I tried to yell but no one could hear me. There was no one there. I remember simply letting go and then there was darkness."

.

Alice Dove could not hold back the tears.

.

"This is just like dying all over again.

And once again, you are just letting me die."

.

~~~~~

.

Evangeline called to me from the hallway.

.

I was in Whisper's room looking for her.

.

"I found her, my love," Evangeline said, taking my arm.

She brought me to the living room and pointed out the window.

"She is at the gazebo."

.

I kissed Evangeline and left the house.

.

Whisper spoke, as I neared her.

"It's not fair Daddy."

.

"What isn't sweetie?"

.

"Why can't they just leave me alone? Just let me stay."

She gave me a look that broke my heart.

.

The hardest part was, I didn't have a clue what to say to her.

.

Christmas should have been a joyous occasion for us, but it was very somber. We put on a brave face for Bobby and Jessie and of course the women both had their pregnancies.

But for me, it was déjà vu.

With New Years Eve fast approaching, I was afraid that I would, once again end up losing my darling Whisper.

.

By now she was barely able to materialize and when she did it was but for a brief moment. Her voice, once loud and clear, was once again a mere whisper. She could no longer read or operate even the simplest switch or button.

She could not even speak to me with her mind, or hear me when I spoke to her.

.

Evangeline was very supportive and she was there with me, for every second that we got with Whisper, but as each day passed, those seconds became less and less.

.

I could feel her slipping away.

.

But I had to stay strong for Evangeline and the baby.

There is an old saying that for every life lost, another baby is born.

Bullshit.

.

Why would this little girl have to literally die again?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 1 17
Ellis Hans, Elizabeth Manor and Toby Azur are ghosts trapped in a little town called Vancouver Beacon along with the rest of the townsfolk. Their on...
9.4K 336 22
A young girl. G reat new neighberhood. H omey new school. O ld kind woman nearby. S turdy new room. T op notch facilities. Thats what I thought. An...
28 0 3
When I was fourteen-years-old, I planned this whole story out about a girl who could see spirits of the dead. I never ended up writing this book, but...