83

The ride home was one of the most amazing that we had ever had.

Evangeline was pointing out everything to Jenny. She sat in the back with her and described everything on the drive home, right down to the trees that grew along the highway.

.

I took my time and drove, constantly looking into the rearview mirror to see the beautiful woman that I called my wife.

I could not see Jenny, but I helped her Mommy describe the scenery, as well.

.

As we pulled into Maynard's Rock, it seemed that everyone knew of our returning. We slowly drove through the main part of the village. People waved and cheered us on, but they respected our privacy and did not impede our journey home.

.

Evangeline and I waved and smiled to everyone.

We both knew that the village was already planning a party for their newest resident.

.

Bobby and Jessie were standing on the road near their house. We stopped so they could see the baby and even though we invited them to come to the house, they declined.

.

"You guys get settled in tonight," Jessie smiled.

"But, we will be over in the morning for coffee."

.

We both agreed and drove to the house.

.

I carried Jenny to our bedroom and placed her on the bed, still in her carrier.

"I will go and get the rest of the stuff from the car," I informed Evangeline, as she started undoing the straps that held Jenny securely in the carrier.

.

"Don't be too long."

.

"I won't," I assured her, as I hurried off.

It only took a couple minutes to empty the car and I was back in the bedroom with my family.

.

I sat on our bed with Evangeline and Jenny.

The baby was between us, sleeping.

.

We were both smiling like two fools.

.

"Well Mrs. Templeton, are you ready to be a Mommy."

.

"Well Mr. Templeton, I guess it doesn't really matter if I am or not."

.

I leaned across and kissed Evangeline. "I love you so much."

.

"I love you too honey."

.

"Can I get you anything?" I whispered.

.

"I wouldn't mind a glass of orange juice. My mouth is dry."

.

I slowly got up from the bed.

"Coming right up."

I headed out the hallway. Spirit and Ghost were standing at the end of the hallway staring at me.

"What's up with you two? You can go see the new baby."

.

Neither of them moved. They simply sat there and watched me as I poured juice for Evangeline and myself. I walked by them and they still did not move.

.

I passed Evangeline her juice.

.

"Who were you talking to?"

.

"Spirit and Ghost. They are simply sitting out near the kitchen looking down the hall."

.

"I guess they sense something new in the house."

.

As I sat on the bed, Jenny opened her eyes.

.

We could hear the cats running down the hall. Both of them jumped up on the bed and slowly walked toward Jenny.

.

"Now guys." I was about to stop them, but Evangeline stopped me.

.

"No. Watch them, but they have to get her scent."

.

Both cats went to Jenny and sniffed her. Jenny seemed to be staring directly at them. Suddenly she moved her arms and opened her mouth, as if trying to say something.

.

The cats jumped back for a second and stared.

.

"Oh my stars," Evangeline gasped.

.

Both cats suddenly got up on their hind paws and began doing the dance. The dance they had not done for so many months.

The dance they only did when Whisper was around.

.

Evangeline and I looked at each other and then looked at the baby.

.

"Whisper?"

Please continue to follow the story of Whisper in the second book of the series ...

Evangeline's Diary