80

We did not see Whisper for days. Now and then the cats would show a spark of interest in something, but as quickly as it came, it would go.

They spent most of their time walking around the house, checking all the rooms and mournfully meowing for their friend. They would come with Evangeline and I, if we were in the living room. They would lay in front of the fireplace and every sound would raise their heads.

But there was no dances.

They rarely slept on our bed and spent most of their time in Whisper's room, on her bed.

.

It broke my heart to see them like that. Ghost and Spirit were a huge part of my life, as well and to see them so lethargic, was almost unbearable.

.

It broke Evangeline's heart too, but more so because she could see the torment that I was going through. She did her best to put on a brave face, but often she would fall into tears, seeing me do the same.

Which was becoming more often as time went by.

Even though she had not had the time with Whisper, she had certainly grown to love her, almost as much as I did.

.

Bobby and Jessie did their best too, but Jessie was having some minor complications with her pregnancy, to a point where the doctor recommended that she rest as much as she could through the remainder of her pregnancy.

We did our best to spend time with them, but our sad mood was not conducive to the situation Jessie was in, so we limited the time of our visits and did our best to keep the mood light and lively.

.

It was a hard time for me, but because of Evangeline and the love I had for her and my unborn baby, I knew I had to accept the inevitable;

I was going to lose Whisper again. This time for good.

.

We made an appearance at the New Year's Eve celebrations, but we were not in a very festive mood. I had a couple beers and then we left, using Evangeline's pregnancy as an excuse. We dropped in on Bobby and Jessie, who did not go to the celebration at all. Bobby and I shared a couple beers, but again, not much in the festive mood.

.

It was nearly midnight by the time we got home. I gave Evangeline a New Year's kiss and tucked her in bed.

.

"Where are you going hun?" She asked, knowing full well what I was doing.

.

"Out to the gazebo."

.

We hugged. Evangeline held me tight.

"If you see her, please tell her I love her," she sighed, forcing the words.

.

I nodded. The tears were already filling my eyes as I left the room.

.

"I love you Will."

.

I turned and smiled, seeing the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I know you do."

.

I poured myself a large scotch, grabbed a 6 inch Cuban cigar and went to the gazebo. Amazingly it was a clear night. Colder than usual for this time of year, but I didn't care. I was dressed warm.

I sat on the gazebo bench facing the ocean and I turned on the beacon light.

I lit my cigar and sipped my scotch.

.

"They still stink Daddy."

The voice was barely a whisper.

.

"Whisper?"

.

"It is me, Daddy."

Her voice was fading.

.

The tears were flowing down my cheeks.

"You have to go, don't you?"

.

Whisper appeared in front of me, a mere wisp of an outline. I could barely make out her features.

"They are drawing me back Daddy. My time here is done."

.

"Will I ever see you again?"

I dreaded the answer.

.

"No."

.

I could feel my heart in my throat. My chest was so tight that I could hardly breathe. I choked out the words between sobs.

"It's not fair...

why did... they let you come... back... if you ... couldn't stay?"

.

Whisper began to fade again.

"I came back for you and Evangeline. Now you are together. You don't need me."

.

I wiped my eyes. "Yes I do. We do. You know Mommy and I love you?"

.

She was now bt a mere hint of light. "I have to go Daddy."

.

"NO. Please. No," I begged, now sobbing freely.

.

The sky lit up as the first fireworks exploded in the sky over the Atlantic Ocean.

.

"Good bye Daddy."

She was gone.

.

I watched the fireworks for a few moments then slowly walked back to the house. As I approached, the door opened and Evangeline was standing there. She gave me a hug and wiped the tears from my eyes.

.

"She's gone," I whispered.

.

"I know my love. I know" She closed the door behind me.