65

Three days later Evangeline and I drove back to Maynard's Rock.

I would have loved to stay longer, but I was worried about Ghost and Spirit. I was pretty sure that Whisper would look after the cats, but I had a nagging feeling that the way we left things, might throw her off her game and the cats would suffer for it.

I had never seen her so upset.

Her last words to me kept resonating in my head, through my time with Evangeline, but I decided to push it aside as best I could and enjoy myself.

.

We had a wonderful; no, an amazing time. For the first time in my life I felt like I had something real in my life. Something natural.

Evangeline seemed to genuinely like me and as for me, well, I had been in love since the first time I saw her. She had never said the words, 'I love you', to me, but I could feel that she did.

I don't think she liked to say the words for fear that something might happen, but I didn't care. Like the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words and in that case, she did love me.

.

When we pulled up in front of the house, I noticed the front door was open.

"Hmm, that's strange."

I wasn't overly concerned, at the moment, because Whisper would often leave the door open, when she played with the cats, in the front yard.

.

"What is?" Evangeline wondered, as she got out of the Rav4.

.

"The front door is open slightly."

.

"Shit," Evangeline gasped, as she sprinted for the house.

.

I looked around. I could not see Whisper anywhere.

'Whisper? Did you leave the front door open?'

There was no answer.

.

Suddenly, I heard Evangeline scream from inside the house.

"OH MY GOD!"

.

"EVA?"

I ran through the open front door and quickly up the stairs to the kitchen area.

.

Evangeline was standing in the middle of my kitchen, her hands over her mouth.

When she saw me, she walked to me.

"Sweetie. Your beautiful house."

.

I looked around, in complete shock. My house looked like the middle of a battlefield.

.

Evangeline took my hand.

"Will, somebody must have broken in here."

.

Tears filled my eyes, as I shook my head.

"No," I whispered, barely able to breathe.

"Nobody broke in."

.

"How can you say that, Will? Look around."

.

The kitchen was literally destroyed. Every cupboard door was open, some even hanging off broken hinges.