5

She walked the hallway toward the kitchen, looking cautiously into each room as she passed them.

They were still the same.

Empty.

.

"Hello?" she said aloud, stopping at the end of the hallway.

.

There was no answer. She didn't expect there to be one. She could feel she was all alone again.

"He is gone again," she said to herself.

.

She was not sure how long she had been hiding. Somewhere during that time, things had gone dark. She had thought, at first, that she had fallen asleep, but she suddenly found herself in the hallway, fully awake.

'Maybe I was sleep walking ,' she thought to herself.

'If indeed I were sleeping at all.'

.

She peeked around the wall at the end of the hallway, looking down toward the front door.

There was no one.

Slowly she walked to the big room with the window that looked out over the beautiful garden and beyond, to the ocean. It was a beautiful day outside.

.

"This must be his house," she said aloud, as she stared out the window.

.

She turned and looked around.

"It is so big. So much bigger than the house I used to live in. You could have fit my house in this room."

.

She was suddenly puzzled as to why she could remember the house she used to live in.

She could not picture what it looked like. She was having more of a feeling.

A feeling that she knew about the house, rather than actual images of the house.

She was very confused.

.

She turned back to the window, looking out to the horizon.

"I missed the ocean."

.

She suddenly felt that she had been gone for a very long time. Like there was a long period of time that had been erased.

"Where have I been?

Who am I?

I remember I had a Mommy and Daddy and I know I lived in a house, but I can't remember my name."

.

She turned and started walking toward the hallway again.

"Maybe this is all a dream. Maybe I am asleep in my bed, in my house and soon I will wake up and Mommy and Daddy will be there."

She had said the words, but deep in her heart she knew it was not true.

.

Another feeling overtook her and she felt sad.

"Do I even exist? Maybe this isn't a dream."

.

There were mirrored doors on a closet in the hallway. She stopped in front of them and stared.

There was no reflection.

"I can see the mirror. I know I am standing here. At least I feel that I am, but I see nothing. Just a reflection of the wall behind me."