Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

69

12 4 2
By BillTemple1957

Whisper smiled a sad smile. "You can't stop them Daddy. It is the way it is supposed to be."

.

I didn't know what to say. My still partly drunk mind, was trying to piece together what Whisper was saying. I was not 100% sure I understood, but I did understand that if Evangeline and I were together, then I might possibly lose Whisper.

And that was a possibility that I did not want to have to deal with.

"I won't let them take you. I will talk to them."

.

Whisper giggled a little. It was so nice to hear her do so.

"You can't talk to them Daddy. They only talk to me."

.

"Who are they?"

.

"I told you, Daddy. They are my parents, Alice and Calvin Dove. They are the ones that sent me back."

.

"Then you tell them that I want to talk with them. I will make this right, sweetie."

.

She kissed my cheek.

"They are angels, Daddy. They will not talk to you. They only talk to me.

They would not listen, even if you could."

She took a deep breath.

"I have tried to talk sense into them, but they will not listen. I even got mad at them, but it was no good."

.

I was trying desperately to understand what Whisper was saying, but the more I listened, the more confused I became.

With what had happened the day before and the terrible hangover that I had, the conversation was making less sense as it went along.

.

I stood up. "I need a shower. We will talk about this more, when my head is clearer."

.

"Want me to make you some coffee, Daddy?"

.

I gave her a strange look.

"I would love a coffee, but ..."

.

"Oh, sorry Daddy. I guess we don't have a coffee maker."

.

I thought of something. "There is a campfire one, with the camping equipment, somewhere at the back of the basement, but hell if I know where it is."

.

"I will get it Daddy."

She jumped off the bed. "I will find it. You go shower."

She disappeared.

.

I showered, shaved and changed my clothes. I felt 100% better, but still had a ways to go.

As I walked down the hallway, I could smell coffee.

.

"That smells so good," I commented, as I walked into the kitchen.

Whisper passed me an aluminum coffee mug.

"Thank you sweetie."

It was hot, black and tasted great.

"Where did you find the coffee."

.

"There was a can with the camping stuff."

.

I leaned unsteadily on the counter.

.

Whisper appeared right in front of me.

"What's wrong, Daddy? What do you need?"

.

"Just a headache, sweetie."

.

"There are some ibuprofen in the cabinet downstairs," Whisper informed me, as she disappeared.

A second later she reappeared, with bottle in hand. She tried to open it, but couldn't.

"The cap is stuck, Daddy."

.

I smiled slightly.

"It is a childproof cap, hun."

I opened it quickly and took a couple ibuprofen for my headache, washing it down with the coffee.

.

"Sit down, Daddy."

.

I nodded and sat at the kitchen table.

Whisper filled my mug and then looked toward the hallway.

"Your cell phone is ringing."

.

I couldn't hear it.

"I have no idea where it is."

.

Whisper put the coffee maker back on the stove and disappeared again. Seconds later, she was back, with my cell phone in hand.

It was still ringing.

.

"Its Evangeline," she informed me, nonchalantly.

.

I shook my head.

"Shit."

I had forgotten to call her. I picked up the telephone and pressed, accept.

"Hello."

.

"Thank god Will, are you ok. I phoned like a dozen times last night. I've been up all night. All kinds of thoughts going through my head.

Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

.

"I'm ok Eva. Really. I'm fine."

.

"That doesn't sound like ok or fine to me. What's wrong Will?"

.

I looked at Whisper sitting on the counter near me. My heart was breaking. What was I to do?

.

"Will? Will? Are you there?"

There was panic in her voice.

.

'Yea, I'm here Eva. Look, something important has come up and I need a couple days to sort things out. I really don't think I would be very good company."

.

"Honey, let me help you," Evangeline pleaded.

"Whatever this is, I know we can work through it."

.

"No. This is something I have to do myself. Please try to understand, Eva."

.

There was a moments silence, then her voice came back, sad and low. "Are we ok?"

.

"Of course we are."

I looked at Whisper, again. I had lied, something I never did, but I couldn't think straight at the moment and I didn't need Evangeline continuously pressing me for answers, I couldn't give her.

"We are just fine. I just need to sort this shit out."

.

"Do you know what happened?"

.

"I do," I said, quietly.

.

"Who? Why?"

.

"Sweetie, please," I pleaded.

"It is a family thing. I just have to get to the bottom of it and get it all sorted out."

.

"Family did that to you? Your niece?"

.

I took a deep breath.

"More or less, but everything is fine now, Eva."

.

"She destroyed your home, Will. That is not fine."

.

"I know. I know, but it is just stuff, hun. It can be replaced. The main thing is that no one is hurt and the cats are fine."

.

"What about you?"

.

"In all honesty," I sighed.

"I am more hurt than angry and more than a little hungover."

.

I could hear her laugh.

"That's understandable."

.

"Just give me a couple more days, sweetie and then we will get together and talk about this."

.

"Promise, Will?"

.

I nodded my head.

"I promise."

.

"Okay.

Anyway, I got a call from the town of St. Anthony this morning. They saw the brochure I did for Grand Falls and they want me to do one for them. I could go do that and when I come back we can sort this thing out. It will only take a couple days."

.

"Ok, that's a good idea."

.

"You want me to drop in along the way?"

.

I did, but, "I am on my way out, hun. I have to go to Corner Brook and get ...

well, a whole pile of shit."

.

She laughed.

"I guess you have. Well, maybe we will pass each other on the highway."

.

"We probably will."

.

"Hey, love you," she reminded me, sweetly.

.

"Me too Eva. Talk to you soon."

.

"Call me tonight?"

.

"I will. Love you."

I hung up the phone.

.

"You look really sad Daddy."

.

I forced a slight smile. "I am ok sweetie."

I walked to the stove and poured another coffee.

"I am going to go into Corner Brook and get some new dishes and stuff.

And a pile of groceries."

.

"I will stay here. I will finish sorting out the records. I didn't get it all done last night."

.

I nodded and finished my coffee.

"Thank you, sweetie."

I motioned for her to come to me.

"I love you Whisper."

.

She floated to me and put her arms around my neck. She kissed me on the cheek.

"I am so sorry Daddy. I love you so much."

.

"It is ok. I better go. Look after the cats."

.

"I will, Daddy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 1 17
Ellis Hans, Elizabeth Manor and Toby Azur are ghosts trapped in a little town called Vancouver Beacon along with the rest of the townsfolk. Their on...
9.4K 336 22
A young girl. G reat new neighberhood. H omey new school. O ld kind woman nearby. S turdy new room. T op notch facilities. Thats what I thought. An...
12.2K 724 41
Mat a young woman who always felt out of place in her life... She never did fit in anywhere, an outcast from the age of eleven, she never felt whole...
28 0 3
When I was fourteen-years-old, I planned this whole story out about a girl who could see spirits of the dead. I never ended up writing this book, but...