Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

61

14 5 9
By BillTemple1957

"Go see her Daddy."

She gave me one last push.

"I will go inside and feed Spirit and Ghost."

.

'Thanks, sweetie.'

.

She winked at me and disappeared.

"Have fun."

.

I kept walking toward the gazebo. Evangeline never turned. I wasn't even sure if she heard me.

I stood across from her and lit a cigarette.

.

"What am I doing here?"

She turned to me and looked at me briefly, quickly turning away, again.

.

I didn't know what to say. I just puffed my cigarette and listened.

.

She reached to me and took the cigarette from my hand. She drew heavily and looked at me, as I lit another cigarette.

"Why am I here, Will?"

.

I shrugged, but was afraid to say anything, other than, "I don't know."

.

"I am supposed to be in Grand Falls," she continued.

"I have a photo shoot for the city, for their new city brochure.

But something just drew me here."

She drew heavily on the cigarette, blowing out quickly.

"Again."

.

I decided to just stand there and listen to her. Partly because I didn't want to scare her away, but mostly because I honestly had no idea what I was supposed to say.

I just like having her this close.

.

"I don't want a relationship," she stated, firmly.

"I am finally doing something for me. I am finally independent and I finally feel like I don't need anyone. I worked so hard to be at this point. I really enjoyed my travels through Europe.

I met so many people. Saw so many things. Experienced so much.

I just want to continue to feel just that. Over and over."

She finally turned and looked at me. I could see she had been crying.

"Yet, here I am. Not in Europe and not in Grand Falls.

Nope. Here I am, in your back yard."

.

"I am happy to see you," I said, honestly.

.

She smiled.

.

I took a deep breath.

"I don't know why you are here, Eva, but I am so happy that you are.

I would be lying if I said differently."

.

She continued to stare at me. I must have turned fifteen shades of red.

"I don't want a relationship right now," she said, firmly.

.

"Okay."

I didn't know what else to say.

.

"I am happy with the way I am."

.

I nodded, still not knowing what else to say.

"Okay."

.

"I like you, but, I want to be on my own."

.

"Okay."

.

"Is that all you have to say?"

.

I looked at her.

"I honestly don't know what to say to you, Eva. I can't tell you what to do.

And I don't know who you are trying to convince. You have me convinced."

.

She stood up and walked to me. She put her hands on my cheeks and stared at me. She was so beautiful.

We kissed. Long and gentle.

.

"I don't want this."

.

She kissed me again.

"I want to live my own life."

.

I just nodded.

.

Once again, she kissed me.

.

I cannot even begin to describe the feelings that overtook me. I had been kissed before, but not like this. Not with such tenderness and warmth and feeling.

And the way she looked at me. Confused, yet so sure. A look I had never seen, at least never given in my direction.

I simply stared into her eyes.

Eyes unlike anything I had ever seen. Eyes that were so expressive.

.

"Why am I here Will?"

She was almost in tears.

.

"I don't know and in all honesty, I really don't care."

We kissed again. It seemed like time was standing still. Like there was nothing else, no one else, only us.

She pulled away and took my hand. We didn't speak.

"Am I going to regret this?"

.

I shrugged.

"I guess we will have to wait and see."

I had no idea what she was talking about.

.

We walked slowly and silently across the lawn back to the house.

As we walked down the hallway toward my bedroom, I saw Whisper appear in front of her doorway. She simply smiled and disappeared back into her room.

.

That night I finally felt what it was like to be in love.

I had been with Sheila before, but there was something different about being with Evangeline. All the things that I had heard, that love should be, I felt that night.

Every cliche about love that I had ever heard, came true for me that night.

.

The next morning when I awoke, Eva was sleeping next to me.

I sat up quietly in bed and simply stared at her. I was too afraid to move, because I did not want to wake her, for fear that she would leave and this would end.

If this was a dream, I didn't want it to end.

I watched her sleep for about another fifteen minutes and silently eased out of bed.

.

I walked around the bed and knelt by her head and kissed her on the cheek, gently. She stirred slightly and pulled the blankets up around her neck, a slight moan, coming from her.

.

I got up, showered, dressed quietly and went to the kitchen.

Whisper was there with coffee ready. She passed me a cup.

.

She had this huge smile on her face and a strange glint in her eye.

"Well?"

.

"Well, what?"

I tried to ignore her, but she kept appearing in front of my face, no matter which way I turned.

I was a little embarrassed. She could have easily popped into the room at any time. And I was honestly wondering if she had.

.

She giggled.

"I didn't go into your room Daddy. I promise."

.

I felt a little better, but still rather embarrassed that my little daughter was pressing me about what had occurred the night before.

"Thank you."

.

She appeared on the counter next to me. "You needed time with Evangeline. I know you wanted to be alone with her."

.

I kissed her on the forehead.

"I appreciate that sweetie."

.

"Did you talk a lot?"

.

"Ah, we, ah...."

.

She giggled again. "Turn off your mind, Daddy. Remember I can hear your thoughts."

.

Turning red, was becoming an all too often event.

"And do you understand my thoughts?" I asked, fearfully, hoping she didn't.

.

"Don't worry Daddy. I have no idea what was going on," she said, almost coyly.

.

Why didn't I believe her?

What maturity level was she at, now, that she was a guardian angel?

I was almost afraid to ask.

.

"So, what do you have planned today?" Whisper wondered.

.

"I don't know sweetie. I guess that depends on Eva."

.

"What depends on me?"

I had not heard Eva come into the kitchen.

"And who are you talking to?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 190 3
Brynn had learned she had inherited a Castle, that is run currently also as B&B. With a friendly ghost. :)
281 3 1
The summer before her senior year of high school, 17 year old Rose Delaney's divorcee mother moves the family from big city Texas to small-town Maine...