Whisper

BillTemple1957 द्वारा

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... अधिक

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

60

15 6 8
BillTemple1957 द्वारा

Two weeks had passed by since Evangeline's visit. I had expected to hear from her. Well, I had hoped that I would hear from her, but there was nothing.

I checked my cell phone, that was charging on the kitchen counter.

There was nothing.

.

Whisper passed me my morning coffee.

"She will come back Daddy."

.

"Who, sweetie?"

.

"Daddy. You know who I am talking about."

.

I smiled. "It's ok sweetie. I don't expect to see her again. Evangeline is a busy woman."

I walked outside. It was another beautiful, early September day.

.

"Don't be sad Daddy."

.

"I am ok Whisper. I just want to be alone for a minute."

I walked to the gazebo and stared out over the ocean.

I wasn't ok. I could not believe that I was so miserable.

Seeing Evangeline again had brought back the feelings that had hit me so quickly, when I was in Twillingate. But, a part of me was so happy for her. She was doing what she loved and now she was being recognized for it.

.

The coffee was good. Whisper had gotten so good at blending the coffee.

I looked back at the house. I could see her playing with Spirit and Ghost on the veranda.

She was such a wonderful little girl. She didn't deserve to suffer for my depression. I needed some cheering up and nothing made me happier than making Whisper happy.

.

A thought came to me.

I ran back to the house.

"Come on little girl. Let's go to Western Brook."

.

"Where is that?"

Her voice was so excited.

.

"It is about an hour or so from here and it has the most beautiful beach and this late in the year, there will be nobody there at all."

.

She clapped her hands and let out a little shriek. She so loved going in the car.

She kissed me quickly on the cheek and then disappeared.

.

"Whisper?"

I looked around, but could not see her.

.

Suddenly the horn on my Rav4 sounded, long and very loud.

I jumped slightly and turned.

Whisper was already in the car.

"Hurry Daddy. Why are you so slow?"

.

I went inside, changed, grabbed a thermos of coffee and we were off.

.

Western Brook is one of the most beautiful spots in Newfoundland. An out of the way little beach, with the softest blonde coloured sand that you have ever seen or felt.

The trip to Western Brook, which was north of Maynard's Rock, offered some of the most beautiful scenery in Newfoundland, as the highway often ran right along the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean and at one point you could even see the shoreline of Labrador, just a mere 15 kilometres away.

The brook itself flows into the ocean and offers some amazing salmon fishing. I gave it a try while Whisper ran the length of the beach and across the brook to the other side.

There was no one else at the beach and the weather was cooperating better than we could have expected.

Whisper did her best to help me catch a salmon, including looking into the water to see if she could see any, but there were none to bee seen.

I gave up fishing and sat on the beach with a beer and a sub sandwich I had bought at a gas station along the way. I offered Whisper a bite, but she informed me that she did not like eating submarines.

It was a perfect day.

.

We walked the length of the beach, several times, finally daring to splash in the water, at the edge of the waves. Well, at least i did, for a while.

I soon walked back on the beach.

.

"What's wrong Daddy. The water's fine."

Whisper was standing, knee deep in the water.

"Not bothering me at all."

.

It was my turn to my hands on my hips.

"You are such a funny, funny girl."

.

Whisper laughed and disappeared into the water.

It still sent a shiver through me to see her do it, but I knew she was okay.

.

"Not a shiny thing on the bottom at all," she commented, as she appeared next to me, while I put on my socks and sneakers.

"Just a bunch of round rocks and these shiny stones."

.

I looked at the stones in Whisper's hands.

"Those are actually pieces of glass, sweetie."

"But they are so smooth."

.

I nodded.

"The waves have been moving them along the sand for so long, that they have become smooth."

I picked up a small round rock.

"The same thing happens to the rocks. That is why they are so round and smooth."

.

"Wow," she exclaimed.

"Can I keep these, Daddy."

.

I nodded.

"Sure. You want me to hold on to them?"

.

She shook her head.

"Nope. I will hold them."

.

We sat on the beach for a few more minutes, but the sun was going down and the wind was picking up a little.

"Its getting cold sweetie. We had better go."

.

Whisper did not want to leave, but I assured her that we would return again.

"When?"

.

I picked her up.

"Soon."

I picked up my salmon rod and we walked the sandy path back to the car.

.

The drive home was wonderful. Whisper so loved it in the car and on the hood and on the top of the car.

It still kind of freaked me out, but I had to keep reminding myself of what she was. Nothing could hurt my little guardian angel.

And she so loved when we travelled.

.

I stopped at the general store at Maynard's Rock to get cigarettes and cigars.

Whisper reminded me again, for the thousandth time, that I should not smoke.

I informed her for the thousandth time that it would be my last pack.

.

We passed by Jessie and Bobby's new house, that was now completely done outside. The contractors assure me that they would be able to move in within the next month.

I was pushing for it to be quicker. Bobby and Jessie were in Alberta on vacation. They so wanted to see the Rocky Mountains, so I flew them out and rented them a car and wished them well. They had been gone of a couple weeks and would be gone at least two more.

The contractor was pushing hard to have the home ready for their return.

.

When I pulled in through my entrance gate, I saw a car parked near my house.

.

"That is Evangeline's car," Whisper shrieked, excitedly.

She disappeared from the car and appeared on the veranda, pointing out toward the gazebo.

"There she is, Daddy. She is out by the gazebo."

.

'I see that, hun,' I said, as I got out of the car.

.

Evangeline turned when she heard the car door close, but immediately turned back to the ocean.

.

"Go, Daddy. Go see her."

.

'I am going,' I insured her.

'Give me a second.'

.

She was behind me, pushing me along.

"Go. Go. Go."

.

I could only laugh.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

87 1 17
Ellis Hans, Elizabeth Manor and Toby Azur are ghosts trapped in a little town called Vancouver Beacon along with the rest of the townsfolk. Their on...
144K 3.8K 13
Belief The strongest thing in the world. It can give someone hope when everything seems lost and a feeling of power when you think that you can fight...
281 3 1
The summer before her senior year of high school, 17 year old Rose Delaney's divorcee mother moves the family from big city Texas to small-town Maine...
866 88 19
In the hopes of reigniting his struggling career, Abraham Ecklesbury moves into Templeton Manor, an eerie and decaying mansion tucked away inside a l...