Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

40

21 7 8
By BillTemple1957

Work at the Motel was going well ahead of schedule. Even better than could ever be expected.

Hank and Cavelle were handling things better, than even I expected them to. I told them I would be back as soon as I could.

Elaine was helping Evangeline tremendously with the website and she was already well adept at dealing with issues that popped up from time to time. She was also doing a lot of the legwork for the website, visiting all the local tourist sites and tours and such. She was affiliating them all with the Motel and even advertising them on the site, for a fee.

.

Apparently, Evangeline had not returned to Twillingate. She was working from St. Johns and she had only told the Doves that complications had arisen from her divorce and she had to stay in the city to deal with the issues.

I had tried, on several occasions, to get hold of her by cell phone and email, but neither was met with any sort of reply.

Finally, after a couple weeks, I gave up on that end of things and concentrated on my own life in the Rock.

.

It seemed like a blink of the eye and it was well into April.

I had been back in the Rock for over a month.

It was a beautiful spring morning, when I opened my email and there it was.

An email from Evangeline.

.

Hi Will,

I am so sorry that I have not gotten back to you sooner, but honestly, things took such a turn here, that my life has been a little topsy turvy ever since.

Without getting too deep into my private life, my husband and I have decided to give it another try. I am as surprised as anyone, at the sudden change in his attitude, but, in all honesty, I have never stopped loving him.

Anyway.

I want to thank you for the opportunity with the website and I promise that I will finish it, with Elaine's help. She really is a little whiz with computers. She will be more than able to maintain the site and I gave her my number and email, if she needs any help.

I'm sorry we never got to have that Black Horse, but I am sure that you understand.

At least I hope you do.

I wish you all the best and I hope you do the same for me.

Perhaps we will meet again, one day.

Eva

.

I took a deep breath.

I was a little sad, but at the same time, I was glad for her. Hopefully things would work out for her.

I read the message one more time and then deleted it.

.

~~~~~~~~~~

.

It was, a couple weeks later, the beginning of May when I called upon John Maynard, at his home, to have a talk to him.

Cora greeted me at the door and invited me in. Her and John were just about to sit down and have a glass of wine.

.

"Could I pour you a glass, Will?"

.

I nodded.

"Thanks, Cora. That would be great."

.

"So, Will, me son. What brings you round 'ere tonight?" John wondered, as he shook my hand.

.

"I was hoping that we could have a little chat, John."

.

Cora passed me a glass of wine.

"Then Ise will toddle off to da kitchen and let youse men talk."

.

I shook my head.

"No. Please stay. Its nothing secretive that I want to talk to your husband about."

.

She nodded and joined us.

"Den I will sit be here with youse."

.

"So," John inquired.

"What can I do fer ya, Will?"

.

"I want to buy all the land around the point, where my house is."

.

He gave me a strange look.

"How much be you want?"

.

"What belongs to the village?"

.

John sat back and thought for a moment.

"Let me see, boy. From wheres yer 'ouse is, it goes maybe a 'alf mile or so, south and all da way to da 'ighway."

He looked at Cora.

"Dat be 'bout right, me love?"

.

Cora nodded.

"Yes. Dat is right, but Will, why in da name of God wud you be wanting' dat old land. Most of it be nuttin' but scrub and bog and such. Not be much gud fer nuttin'"

.

"I have my reasons," I smiled.

"So? How much?"

.

John laughed.

"Will, boy. Why'in da hell wud you be wantin' it?"

.

"I don't really know, John. Just woke up one day and thought to myself.

'You should buy all the land around you'."

.

John laughed.

"You be a strange one, sometimes Will, me son."

.

Cora continued.

"That's a lot of land, Will. What wud you be doin' with it?

Most of it not be fit to build on or anything'."

.

I nodded.

"I know. Just seems like the right thing to do. That way, the village doesn't have the worry and I control the land, so that the government can't do anything stupid with it."

.

John laughed.

"Now, Will, me son. When be da guv'ment ever do somethin' stupid."

.

I nodded.

"Will you at least think about it?"

.

"Will, boy. I'se has no problem sellin' youse da land, but, me son, I wouldn't know what price to put on it. I wills 'ave to chat with a few peoples and see what dey says."

.

Cora agreed.

"It not be really wort' anything, John. Not like we's ever would be doing' anythin' with it."

.

John nodded, while sipping his wine.

"Dat be true, me love."

He stared at me for a few seconds.

"Let me tink on dis fer a while, Will. I am sure we can work somethin' out."

.

I nodded.

That sounds great, John. I would really appreciate that."

.

"No problem, me son."

.

I took a deep breath.

I had one other thing I really wanted to get off my chest.

"Look. I am sorry about the way that things worked out between me and Sheila."

.

John shook his head, as he refilled his glass.

"Dat be twix you and 'er, Will. I will be 'onest, though. I am a little disappointed in da way youse 'andled tings."

.

I had to agree.

"I know. I honestly don't know what to say. Something just came over me and I couldn't shake it."

.

Cora patted my leg.

"Don't be frettin' yerself, Will. Da Lord, he works in strange ways, sometimes. Sheila, she be doin' okay. She has met a young man, up dere in Alberta and dey seems to be gettin' 'long well.

So, maybe, it is da way its s'pose to be."

.

I forced a smile.

"I really do wish her well. She is a beautiful woman and she really deserved someone better than me."

.

"Don't be puttin' yerself down, Will. Youse be a fine man. Little confused, at times and even a tad bit strange ..."

.

"John Maynard," Cora snapped at her husband.

"Youse be 'pologizing to Will right away."

.

I laughed.

"Don't worry about it, Cora. John is right. I do tend to come across as a little strange at times."

.

John nodded.

"But, I knows yer 'eart be in da right place, Will."

.

We talked for another half hour or so and I said my goodnights and went home.

.

On my way home, I passed the cemetery, which was at the far south end of the village, heading toward my house.

A strange feeling overtook me and I slowed down and stopped.

.

At the far corner of the cemetery, I thought I saw the brief outline of someone. But it was just for a second and it was gone.

I sat in the car for a few moments, waiting to see if it returned.

It didn't, so I drove off, already deciding that I would return in the morning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 724 41
Mat a young woman who always felt out of place in her life... She never did fit in anywhere, an outcast from the age of eleven, she never felt whole...
28 0 3
When I was fourteen-years-old, I planned this whole story out about a girl who could see spirits of the dead. I never ended up writing this book, but...
47.8K 2.3K 33
An eleven year old girl, named Chelsea and her family move into an old Victorian home. Soon after she moves in she realizes that there's something of...