Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

31

22 7 25
By BillTemple1957

It was late the night of January 5th, that I was awaken by the combination of my doorbell ringing, knocking on my door and a man rapping on my living room window and yelling.

.

I pulled myself off the couch and looked to the window. I could see someone peering in.

It looked like Peter Maynard.

I tried to be invisible, but he saw me, somehow, in the darkness.

.

"I sees 'im," he yelled to someone.

.

A second later, John Maynard appeared in the window.

He too, was yelling and waving to me.

.

"Shit," I muttered, as I pulled myself to my feet.

"What day is this?"

I felt like crap and probably looked worst.

I dragged myself to the front door. As I opened it, I could see the tractor parked in front of my house.

Peter and John obviously were ploughing the roads.

The storm seemed to have subsided.

.

The two men came inside the house, stomping the snow off their feet outside, on the veranda, before entering.

.

"You looks like shit, Will boy," John commented, as he closed the door.

"Sheila be so worried about you, boy.

Where did you disappear to, New Years?"

.

"I suddenly got sick," I lied.

"I threw up in the bathroom, before I left and I just went home."

I took a coat from the rack near me and put it on, shivering, as I did.

"I have been curled up ever since. This is the first time I have really moved since that night."

.

Peter put his hand over his mouth.

"Well, boy, I hopes its not contagious," he joked.

.

I forced a smile.

I was sick, but it was from a massive hangover.

.

John patted my shoulder.

"We was all worryin' 'bout yo, Will. Sheila and Henry be beside demselves."

.

I nodded.

"Please tell her I am sorry."

I took a deep breath. I really was.

"I will call her in the morning, I promise."

.

John nodded.

"You could least answer yer phone, Will."

.

"I know," I nodded, apologetically.

"But I have barely had the energy to even feed the cats and in honesty, I don't even know where my cell phone is. I think I might have lost it in the snow on the way home."

.

Peter laughed.

"Den youse can kiss dat phone gudbye den, Will."

.

"Well, I will go to Corner Brook in the morning and see to getting another one."

A sudden way of nausea overtook me and I quickly sat on a chair in the foyer, my head, literally, between my legs.

.

"You okay, Will?"

.

I nodded, holding up my hand.

A few moments passed before I sat back up, leaning against the chair.

"I have to go and lay down, guys."

.

Peter nodded.

"Git well, Will."

He looked at John.

"I will meet ya in da tractor."

.

John nodded.

"I bes right dere, me son."

.

John waited until Peter left and then he crouched down in front of me.

"Whats be really goin' on, Will."

.

"I just told you. I am really sick."

.

John nodded.

"I can sees you are sick, me son, but it ain't no flu or nuttin'. Dis place smells like a brewery."

.

I took a deep breath, nodding.

.

"What be it, Will?

Is it me sister? I know she's can be a bit of a pain in da arse, but she really loves ya, you knows."

.

"I know."

.

"Then da truth, Will."

.

I shook my head.

"The truth? I don't think you would believe me, if I did tell you the truth, John."

.

"You could tries, me son. I am pretty understanding and I believes you do owe me an explanations ...

and if not me, den you do me sister."

.

I had to agree.

"Yea. You are right, John."

I stood up, shakily.

"Let me get cleaned up, tonight and I promise that I will come to see you guys in the morning and I will explain everything."

.

John nodded, his hand on my shoulder.

"I will be holding you to dat, Will. I believes youse is a man of your word, so I will be 'specting you in da morning, at Sheila's.

Say around 9 fer breakfast?"

.

I nodded.

"I will be there."

I hugged the man

"Thank you John. You are indeed a friend."

.

He nodded and then gave me a strange look.

"And clean up, me son. You stinks like a sewer system."

.

I laughed slightly, closing the door behind him, as he left.

I heard the horn of the tractor and watched through the living room window, as it pulled away.

.

I staggered to the nearest bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror.

I did looked like shit.

Spirit and Ghost sat in the doorway to the bathroom, looking up at me.

"I know," I sighed.

"I am a schmuck."

.

I swear they both nodded.

.

"You guys are no help."

I went to the kitchen and opened some food for the cats. I was not even sure when I had fed them last.

By their reaction, it had been a while.

I watched them eat for a moment, then headed back down the hallway to my bedroom.

I quickly undressed and got into the shower.

.

I really had been a jerk.

I had something good with Sheila. Something real. Something that could be forever.

.

The warm water seemed to bring me back to life.

I brushed my teeth.

.

I did love Sheila. At least, I thought I did.

I certainly loved the time we were together and we did connect on many levels, but ...

was it all that I wanted and needed?

Losing Whisper had put a new perspective on my relationship with Sheila.

I wondered if I lost her, would I react the same way.

.

I was disgusted by my own answer.

I probably wouldn't.

I would never want anything to happen to Sheila, but if we broke up, I don't think it would have the same effect, that losing Whisper had on me.

.

I scrubbed myself from head to toe.

I though about shaving, but decided against it.

.

By the time I was out of the shower, I had a new agenda.

And it did not include breakfast at Sheila's in the morning.

I dressed and went to my safe. I kept plenty of cash in the safe and I took it all out, putting it into a briefcase, on my bed. I took some other documents and identification with me as well.

.

I paused for a moment, as I saw the ring case, that I knew held the engagement ring I had planned to give to Sheila.

I wiped tears from my eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, genuinely, as I closed the safe.

.

I quickly packed some clothes and a few personal items.

By the time I brought the suitcase and briefcase to the kitchen area, I had a plan, of sorts, in mind.

It was not a perfect plan, but I would work out all the details as I went along.

.

I looked at my two cats.

"You guys want to go on a little trip?"

.

They simply sat and stared at me.

I was praying to myself that they would dance. That they would give me the sign, that I wanted, a sign that my daughter had returned, but they didn't.

.

I had already started my Rav4.

Looking out my window, I saw that it was all cleaned off and had a clear access to the road.

Obviously Peter or John, or both, had done it for me.

.

I quickly brought the suitcase to the car, along with the briefcase and a cardboard box with some snacks and such in it.

I got the cat carriers for my cats. They both went in the same carrier.

"Gonna be a bit crowded in there, guys."

They curled up together.

They were certainly good cats.

I decided that I would let them roam when I got on the road.

.

I put down the seats and even put in a small cat pan.

I looked at both of them, as I let them out.

"Don't stink me out."

I took extra litter, just in case.

.

I went back to the house and adjusted the heat, so that it would keep the house at a constant temperature.

I was on an automatic payment system with all my utilities, so there would be no problems there.

I left on the outside lights and a light in the living room.

I would do something about security at a later date.

.

When I got in the car, Ghost and Spirit were sitting in the front passengers seat.

"Buckle up," I told them.

.

I started out of my yard and down the road.

I didn't even look in the rearview mirror.

.

And I had no idea where I was going.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.8K 2.3K 33
An eleven year old girl, named Chelsea and her family move into an old Victorian home. Soon after she moves in she realizes that there's something of...
866 88 19
In the hopes of reigniting his struggling career, Abraham Ecklesbury moves into Templeton Manor, an eerie and decaying mansion tucked away inside a l...
144K 3.8K 13
Belief The strongest thing in the world. It can give someone hope when everything seems lost and a feeling of power when you think that you can fight...
5K 74 13
Six friends decided that they wanted to get out of the city and have some time together. Layla's uncle has a spare house in the woods. What happens w...