Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

28

32 8 30
By BillTemple1957

I walked home in less than 15 minutes. Well more like, half jogged, half walked.

It was a beautiful night and normally I would have been captivated by the beautiful scenery, but my mind was overwhelmed by the story I had just been told.

.

I felt bad for leaving Sheila at the party, but I simply couldn't stay. As much as I loved Sheila, I had this drive in me. I had to go home. I had to talk to Whisper.

I hated lying to Sheila, but I had to leave.

I knew that she would understand, once I explained things to her.

If she believed me at all.

.

In one way, I was so happy that I finally knew what had happened with Whisper/Jenny, and her family, but on the other hand I was sick to my stomach.

I knew that they were all dead; that was obvious by the amount of time that had elapsed since Jenny/Whisper had become a ghost. What hit me the hardest, was the horrible manner by which they died.

And the fact that Jenny's / Whisper's body had never been found. That hurt more than anything.

Now I had to know, what had happened to her.

.

I was literally out of breath by the time I reached the house. I was to upset/excited to go in at that very moment, so I stood on my wrap around veranda and looked out across the ocean that stretched in front of me. I took a can of beer from my pocket, that I had taken from the party and opened it.

I drank heavy from the can, even though it was warm. It actually warmed me up a bit.

I then took a White Owl cigar from my inside jacket pocket.

Sheila was the one who had suggested the cigars to me and at that second, I felt an urge to run back to the party and be with her. I was still feeling guilty about leaving.

But I couldn't.

I wiped a tear from my eye and lit the cigar.

"I hope you understand, my love?" I said aloud.

.

I knew I had to tell Whisper/Jenny what i had found out, but I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it, or what her reaction would be.

I puffed hard on the cigar. It tasted so good.

I began to clam down a little.

.

"They still stink, Daddy."

.

I turned around. Whisper was walking toward me. A second later, she was by my side.

.

"Honey, you are going to get cold," I told her.

"Go back inside."

.

Whisper giggled.

"Daddy, I'm a ghost. I don't get cold."

.

It was the first time I had heard her talk about herself that way. We had never really discussed what she was.

.

"Come inside, Daddy. You can get cold."

Her voice had more than a hint of concern to it.

.

"You go in honey. I will be in shortly."

.

"Are you all right, Daddy?"

She was in front of me now.

"You sound sad. Didn't you have a good time?"

.

"Go inside, hun."

.

"Did something happen?"

.

I forced a smile. "I will be right in Whisper. Meet me in the living room. Okay?"

.

She nodded. "Ok, Daddy."

She disappeared.

.

I took a few more deep puffs on my cigar and threw it in the snow. I had to talk to Whisper, but I had no idea how I was going to tell her what I had found out. I quickly finished the can of beer and put the empty can on a table near the door.

.

I went inside and to the living room.

Whisper was not there. I assumed that she had gone to her room. It gave me a couple more minutes to figure out exactly how I was going to tell her, what I had found out.

.

A few minutes later, I had a fire going in the fireplace. Ghost and Spirit bounced into the living room and at my feet.

I petted the two cats and then sat on the couch.

.

A second later, Whisper appeared in front of me.

"Daddy, what's wrong?"

.

"I love you Whisper."

.

She smiled the most beautiful smile I had ever seen.

"I love you too Daddy. But there is something wrong."

.

I took a deep breath.

.

"Daddy, please. You are worrying me now."

.

I patted the couch next to me and she floated up to it.

"I was talking to some people at the dance tonight. Actually, it was Sheila's Nanny and Poppy.

They remember what happened to your Mommy and Daddy. They told me the story."

.

Whisper was silent. Her eyes looked directly into mine.

I swear, I could see a tear in her eyes.

"Honey, I don't have to tell you."

.

She shook her head, looking away.

"I want to know, Daddy. Please, tell me."

.

"Are you sure?"

.

She nodded.

"Please, Daddy."

.

"Your parents were Calvin and Alice Dove."

.

Whisper seemed to glow brighter. Her eyes grew wide and she seemed deep in thought.

.

"Whisper?"

.

She was silent for a few more seconds and then she spoke, as if in a daze.

"Jenny. My name is Jennifer Nicole Dove."

She stared right at me.

"I remember now. My name is Jenny."

.

Something was happening. I suddenly felt very cold. All the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck were standing up and I suddenly was getting sick to my stomach.

The house seemed to be cooling down very quickly and even the fire was losing its flame.

The house was slowly getting colder and darker.

.

Spirit and Ghost ran from the living room and down the hall, as fast as they could run.

.

"I remember Will."

.

Now I was really worried. She had called me Will, not Daddy.

.

She got down off the couch and started walking toward the window.

"I remember it all, now. All of it."

Her voice was but a whisper and she seemed oblivious to the fact that I was even in the room with her.

.

I looked to the fireplace. The fire was now out and even the embers were fast fading away.

A chill overtook me and I could see my breath, as I spoke.

"Whisper."

.

She turned, suddenly and stared at me, her eyes wide with terror.

.

"Whisper, what's wrong?"

.

Suddenly she screamed, louder than anything that I had ever heard in my life.

"MOMMY."

.

I jumped up from the couch and started toward Whisper, but I never got close.

I was suddenly surrounded by flames.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 336 22
A young girl. G reat new neighberhood. H omey new school. O ld kind woman nearby. S turdy new room. T op notch facilities. Thats what I thought. An...
4.7K 190 3
Brynn had learned she had inherited a Castle, that is run currently also as B&B. With a friendly ghost. :)
47.8K 2.3K 33
An eleven year old girl, named Chelsea and her family move into an old Victorian home. Soon after she moves in she realizes that there's something of...