Whisper

By BillTemple1957

Will Templeton built his dream home in the tiny Newfoundland outport of Maynard's Rock, a community of just 2... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83

22

19 11 17
By BillTemple1957

The first hour after everyone left, I searched the whole house, trying to find Whisper.

With no luck.

Ghost and Spirit followed me closely and I watched them, for any sign of their little dance, but there was none.

.

I was beginning to get worried, but then I remembered that when we talked, Christmas morning came up, so I could only hope that she felt she should not return until that time.

Though I had no idea where she would go to, since she had told me that she could not leave the house. The veranda was the farthest that she had ever been.

.

I gave up the search for a while and went to Whisper's new room to do some finishing touches, with the hopes that she would be there in the morning.

Once I finished that, I gave Sheila a call and enjoyed a cigar and scotch, in front of my fireplace, while I talked to her.

The cats never left my side.

.

Once I said goodnight to Sheila, promising to see her in the afternoon, the next day, I started my search for Whisper, once again.

This time, I took my time, searching every room, every closet, every corner. I even searched in all the cupboards in the kitchen and even the fridge, stove and microwave. I figured since she was a ghost, she could pretty much hide anywhere.

.

But there was no Whisper and no dances from my cats.

.

Finally, around midnight, I poured one last scotch and sat in front of the fireplace, playing guitar.

Since Whisper loved the sound of my guitar playing so much, I figured, if she was nearby, she would come out of hiding.

Still, no sign of my little girl.

.

Finally, I turned on the tv, to the cartoon channel, changed into my sleep pants and housecoat, took a blanket from the hall closet and lay on the couch, watching cartoons.

.

The last thing I remember was Yosemite Sam claiming, "I hate dat Rabbit."

.

It was my cellphone ringing that brought me out of a deep sleep.

I sleepily answered it, "Hello?"

.

"Will, thank you so much for the new computer. It is perfect. I just love it."

.

It was Henry.

His excited voice brought a smile to my face.

"You are so welcome, Henry. I can help you set it up, later, when I come to dinner."

.

Henry laughed.

"I have it set up, Will and I am already on Facebook. This is the greatest gift in the world.

Thank you."

His voice faded.

.

"Your welcome," I half yelled.

.

The next thing I heard was Sheila's laugh. She had such a wonderful laugh.

"I hope he didn't wake you, Will. He has been up since 5 and has been itching to call you. I held him off as long as I could."

.

"That's okay. I was about to haul my ass out of bed anyway and make some coffee."

.

"So, you are still coming for dinner?"

.

"Of course I am. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

.

"Well, you can pop over anytime. You don't have to wait until the afternoon.

It would be nice for you and Henry to spend some time together."

.

I had to agree.

"I will be over, early afternoon. Just have to call my sister and niece and do a few last minute things around here."

.

"Okay," she said softly.

"I love you."

.

"I love you, too," I whispered.

.

We said goodbye.

.

Ghost and Spirit were both crawling over me by now.

"Okay. I get the point."

.

I got up, used the washroom, put on my coffee and gave the cats their breakfast.

.

As soon as I poured my coffee, I went to the living room and turned on the tree lights.

The Christmas tree was beautiful. But the memory of Whisper and I decorating it, made me a little sad.

The few small gifts under the tree were for Spirit and Ghost, not that they would even notice.

.

I had just lit a fire, when I heard a scream from the far end of the house. I turned to the hallway, just in time to see Ghost and Spirit racing toward the scream.

I ran down the hallway. As soon as I opened the door to the new room, there was another scream.

I walked inside, a huge smile on my face.

My little girl was home.

.

The room that we had all worked so hard on, was a little girl's dream. And it was all for Whisper.

.

Everything a little girl could want. A four poster princess bed, with matching pink drawers. A pink love seat, with matching footstool. A big plush armchair, for when I sat in her room with her.

We had built a large window seat, with fluffy pink and purple cushions, so she could sit and watch the outside world and the wildlife that frequented our garden and the forest surrounding.

.

There was a pink desk and chair, with a computer system set up on it.

I had one of the technicians at the computer shop download thousands of songs on the computer and it was hooked directly into a stereo system.

There was not only children's songs, but many of the rock classics that Whisper so loved.

Since she was becoming so adept at buttons and remotes and such, I felt this would be a breeze for her.

.

There were several bookcases filled with books I thought she might like. And a huge selection of Archie comics. She was fascinated with the Archie gang.

.

A 48 inch flat screen television, hooked to the computer and to the satellite dish, with all the cartoon channels programmed.

I would have to show her how to access the cartoons on the computer, but I was sure in time, she would be a pro at it.

.

Dolls, teddy bears and stuffed animals of every kind filled the room. Dozens of fluffy pillows.

Even a large dollhouse with every conceivable piece that I could find.

I even had a swinging cat door put in the door so Spirit and Ghost could come and go.

.

There was a big bow around the bottom two posts of her bed.

A 5 foot high Christmas card had a huge picture of Santa on it and a simple 4 words inside;

Merry Christmas

Love

Daddy

.

I could almost feel her arms around my waist.

"I love you, Daddy."

.

"I love you too Whisper," I said looking down where I assumed she was.

Tears were filling my eyes.

.

There was another scream of delight.

"I love it, Daddy."

.

The television sprung to life and immediately Ghost and Spirit jumped up on the bed.

They both lay on the bed about three feet apart. I assumed they were on either side of Whisper.

.

I turned to leave the room.

.

"Where are you going, Daddy? Stay and watch some cartoons with me."

.

I nodded.

"Let me get my coffee."

I poured a fresh cup of coffee and went back to the room.

I sat in the big arm chair and put the coffee on a small table next to it.

.

Spirit and Ghost jumped off the bed and up on the arms of the chair.

.

I looked down.

"Are you sitting on my lap?"

.

"You don't mind, do you, Daddy?"

.

Tears filled my eyes.

"No. Not at all."

.

I sat there watching cartoons and laughing along with my ghostly daughter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 47 7
Much different from her mother, Y/n loves going on adventures and solving mysteries. One day, at age 17, she finds a book while looking through her m...
9.4K 336 22
A young girl. G reat new neighberhood. H omey new school. O ld kind woman nearby. S turdy new room. T op notch facilities. Thats what I thought. An...
12.2K 724 41
Mat a young woman who always felt out of place in her life... She never did fit in anywhere, an outcast from the age of eleven, she never felt whole...
47.8K 2.3K 33
An eleven year old girl, named Chelsea and her family move into an old Victorian home. Soon after she moves in she realizes that there's something of...