DID YOU EVER(arranged marriag...

Galing kay littlemissmylls

*****REWRITTEN****** Meet Anthony Ferdinand Ramirez,a business tycoon and a man with the weight of a thriving... Higit pa

FLASHBACK
CHAPTER l
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER * 3
CHAPTER * 4
CHAPTER *5
CHAPTER *6
CHAPTER * 7
Chapter 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
IMPORTANT
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 32

22.3K 575 58
Galing kay littlemissmylls

Melissa POV

I stood at the window side staring at the clouded evening sky as an incoming thunderstorm threatened the calmness of the night.

A few days had passed since the incident and I had been having recurring nightmares. Terrifying scenes of that night kept unfolding right before my very eyes. I had tried my very best to be strong and forget all that happened however forgetting was never the easy way for me.

Intertwined with my tragic past, the explosions seemed decibels louder. I could still picture the look of malice on Chase's face as he hovered over me with blood filled intent. In his knife was a blood stained knife and he would hold it at my throat.

But occasionally I would see that I was with the knife instead and before me was the littered body of my brother and my mother. Father would blame me and wish I was never born then finally end me as well.

I sighed and felt the chilly breeze run through my unkempt hair. I thought of how I got so scared a few nights ago that I had broken down in Anthony's arms. He got so worried that he spent the entire night by my side, refusing to let go of me.

It honestly wasn't how I imagined my first night with a man to be like, but it was warmer than I thought. His arms protectively around me and my head against hard chest, his cologne making me want to feel like I was literally floating.

I slept like an infant that night, no nightmares, just Anthony and I. For the first time in a long time, I actually felt at peace there in his warm embrace.

''You're just being silly at this point, Melissa'' I chuckled and ran my hand down my face once I had caught myself smiling like a fool at the thought of Anthony. I had noticed we had gotten closer over the past few weeks but I couldn't dare the thought of us actually giving this marriage thing a shot.

He probably isn't even thinking of me. Why bother?

Before I could draw a conclusion, my phone rang and I moved away from the window to answer.

As I reached for the phone, excited pulsed through me as I found myself wishing it was Anthony. I had to admit, I had missed him quite a bit. Just a tiny bit though. Like an insignificant bit. Not that I was ever going to tell him that.

My face fell when my eyes finally landed on the caller ID.

My father.

My heart began to pick up pace. Him calling me was never good news. Something had happened and I was sure I wasn't going to like it.

I breathed in and out nervously and then answered the call.

''Good evening father''

''Good evening my child. How do you do?"

Wait....my?! Did I hear that correctly?!

''I...I am alright. I hope you are okay as well, father'' I gulped and let out.

''Your husband informed me of your unfortunate bowel problem ''My father said and a look of bewilderment drew on my face. I didn't know whether to laugh or go along with what he had just said to me, with absolutely no hint of amusement in his tone.

''I am sorry father but can you repeat yourself?"

''You have been hospitalized for constipation, have you not?" He voiced plainly and I stifled a laugh.

I clasped my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from cackling and made a mental note to kill Anthony for using constipation over all things as an excuse. And how could my old man have said that so nonchalantly.

''Yes father, I am currently in the hospital for...constipation''

''that is rather unfortunate child. I recommend you eat fruits. I called your husband to come get some from me to you. The berries in your mother's garden are quite in harvest'' I froze as soon as I heard his words.

''M-mom's garden?'' I stammered in disbelief, my eyes widening in confusion.

Ever since mom died in that accident, father had never step foot in her garden. If he could burn it all the ground, I was sure he wouldn't even hesitate. I slowly watched her hard work waste away with the seasons and question if my life was metaphorically linked to that garden.

What happened next was enough to convince me that this was all some sort of dream.

Father chuckled. He actually chuckled.

''I could hardly believe it myself child. That berry bush behind the apple tree, right behind the spot she used to read at....that bush is quite a fighter.'' My eyes swelled up with tears not at the memory of my mom at her favorite reading spot in the house, but at the fact father was actually talking about mother.

''You went to her garden?'' I breathed out.

''Yes child, I did. I have hired a gardener because well I do not have your mother's blessed green hands. That's the least I can do. That part of the house was looking disgusting anyway.'' He uttered and one tear trickled from my eyes and onto my white vest.

I wiped my tear and then softly chuckled at how hard he was trying to keep his tough as nails image.

''Your husband dropped by this afternoon.....he's not a bad man, child. A bit disrespectful, bold.... daring even and absolutely in his head, but not a bad person. Treat him well. That will be all child. Goodbye''

Without waiting for me to say anything else, he disconnected the call and I lowered the phone slowly.

Something was different about father. For him to actually step in mom's garden, much more walk to her favorite reading spot....something had changed, as though his frozen heart was finally defrosting after more than a decade.

I wiped away the tears that had escaped form my eyes and my tiny sobs got mixed with soft chuckles.

But Anthony never mentioned visiting father. I wondered what they spoke off and what he said for father to come up with such judgement about him. I made a mental note to interrogate him once he stepped through the hospital doors.

It was a beautiful memory father had dug up though. I lifted my spirits knowing he still had mom buried in his heart, deep deep down somewhere.

Mom used to sit under the huge oak tree behind our house and read books of fairytales to Roland and I. Mostly the ones that ended with '' And the maiden and the prince lived happily ever after'' and always tell us that we would live joyful lives with beautiful endings such as those in the books.

Father was always busy with work however he always made time to join us for meals and share laughs with mom then spoil us with whatever we wanted. We weren't a perfect family yet I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

When I lost mom and Roland, I lost father along with them and with that, the pillars that held my life strong all crumbled to the ground. Father fell for the external pressures and sexism that he had lost his dynasty with the loss of his son but remain adamant when they tried to get him to marry another woman.

That was the only remainder for me that Father still loved mom dearly and wouldn't want anyone to replace her.

Nothing could describe how perplexed his call left me that night. However, it looked like things finally looking up and this might actually be a sign that my life wasn't in complete shambles after all.

Melissa, things are only going to get better from now on. I'm going to live my best life....starting now. I owe that to myself.

*

As I laid my head to rest that night, I found myself missing the faint scent of lavender. I tossed and turned in bed as the thunder roared outside. The rain had started and for once the faint chilly smell of rain wasn't enough to help me drift off.

Who sees a cliff with rock at the bottom and still takes that leap into their own demise?

That was my depiction of this suicide mission called love.

I hadn't yet thrown myself over that forsaken cliff but I was right at that edge, mind clouded in the dilemma of what or maybe who In actually want in my life.

I wanted to crawl in hole and cry a river.

I was tempted to pick up my phone and call him but I hesitated at the thought of disturbing him. He was probably having one of those long busy nights. He had probably gone to the kitchen for three to four coffee breaks already. His was probably still in his work clothes, a pen behind his ear and tapping his feet like he normally does when he comes across a figure he isn't sure of.

''Then agaaain.I mean a little text won't hurt ,right?" I thought and reached out to take my phone.

Anthony and I had never texted each other and the thought of it was quite weird but it was the only way I could think of communicating with him in a way that wouldn't jolt him from his sleep, if he had actually taken my advice and rested that is.

It wouldn't help to try though. If there wasn't a response then I would be sure he was extremely busy or fast asleep. I took deep breaths and decided to do it.

Melissa: Mr. Terrorist

With that I quickly shoved the phone underneath the pillow and shrieked in the fluffy goodness. Hopefully he was asleep or his messages were disabled or something, I couldn't handle the anxiety. Half of me wanted him to respond and the other half wished I hadn't sent that message in the first place.

After 5 minutes of waiting, my phone still stashed under my pillow and my fingers intertwining in nervousness, I accepted that truly he was working late as usual. I took my phone out and quickly slid the chat away.

I pouted my lips and turned the pillow to the colder side hoping it would help me fall asleep even faster. To be frank, I was quite disappointed. The last thing I wanted was to be a bother but he could've just sent a text, like a tiny message would've been appreciated.

''Snap out of it, Melissa. How old are you again?" I thought and placed the phone on my chest then turned my attention to the ceiling.

Just as I was about to count sheep in hopes it would tire me out, a bell sound sent chills all the way down to my spine. For the first time I wouldn't have minded if the sound stemmed from the tunes in that blasted bar a few blocks away or a passerby in the hall with loud music but no.

The ringing sound was from my phone. My ringtone to be exact.

Anthony was calling.....crap, Anthony was calling!!

I quickly sat up and swiped on the answer button. Taking a deep breath for courage I blurted''Anthony heeeeey!" and hoped he wouldn't hear my heart thumping like crazy over the phone.

''Buenas noches, cariño'' He uttered in a raspy tone and I felt my insides churn.

It was just a Spanish phrase I've heard millions of times on the television? It was just Anthony! Same man who messed around a couple of times with me in the kitchen.

That same Anthony that wrapped his arms around me in the garden, the same man who trusted me to take over his long term project, the same man who I had an eating contest with and laid down in the grass with.

The same man who placed that luxurious masterpiece around my neck and made my heart beat faster than it was created to, over and over again.

Was I still at the edge of the cliff or I had already taken the plunge to seal my fate?

''I'm so sorry I disturbed you. You honestly didn't have to call . Texting would have been enough, all I wanted to do was ask how work was going'' Lies lies lies Melissa, you're a damn liar.

''Enough for whom?" He suddenly asked and I almost choked on my own saliva.

''Pardon me?"

''Texting would have been enough for whom, Querida? I don't know about you but to hear your voice was all I needed tonight.''

With that I knew for sure that anyone within a 5mile radius could hear this little heart of mine beat its way out of my chest.

''Stop teasing me, its not funny to mess with me you know'' I breathed out and crossed my legs on the bed. I wasn't going to get much sleep after all and I was perfectly content with that.

''Teasing you? You think this is me being a tease?" He murmured and then let out a throaty chuckle.

''Well whatever you're trying to do, I regret to inform you that it's failing miserably'' I cleared my throat and tried to sound serious. I should be awarded with the Liar of the Century award already!

''And what exactly am I trying to do?'' These damn words of Spanish that had me on a chokehold!

'' Stop acting oblivious Anthony. You trying to seduce me over the phone is only going to end up embarrassingly for you.'' I stupidly told him and then mentally face palmed right after. In all my 21 years of life never had I felt as dumb like I was feeling in that exact moment.

''You insult me. To be clear, I am a man who takes pride in giving women the proper treatment they deserve. And you, deserve so much more than a mere expression of desire over a phone. With your approval....I could show...and teach you so many...many things, Querida''

The air in the room had suddenly become thick. Too thick to properly breathe in anymore. This had to be some damn fever dream or a hallucination of some sort. When did he get so bold and what was I to say to that? My vocabulary had disintegrated along with my ability to function.

''So what are you working on?!" I exclaimed in a desperate attempt to change the subject. I just couldn't find my words, and I didn't want to embarrass myself, knowing very well that I would have given in without a second thought.

However, even though my body and my heart were yearning to tip over and fall off the cliff, my brain kept reminding me of the answers I needed to acquire.I refused to make a mistake, and end of jumping over that cliff for a murderer.

No matter how hot he was, or how his mesmerizing his muscles looked in the white shirt of his anytime he'd take his suit off after work and pour a glass of liquor.

Oh dear, I am a goner.

There was a long pause on the line, followed by a soft sigh and he finally responded to me.

''I just came back from Endeavour Motors.''

A frown quickly formed on my face.

''You actually did it?" I whispered and rubbed my fingers across my temple, then proceeded to play with my toenails as I listened to him carefully.

''Yes, henceforth F.RAMIREZ INVESTMENTS has no ties with Endeavour Motors.'' He announced and I couldn't help but feel bittersweet about his decision.

''But Anthony_"

''No Querida, I am not going to listen to you. Not this time.''

''The children! The orphanage! Anthony we can't just abandon them. You know how important this is to me'' I argued and I could picture the annoyance on his face.

''Not at the expense of your life! I refuse to let you work a man who hurt you! There are other ways to go about this so forget about this , por favor. Let's focus on your health instead, have you taken your evening medications?" He tried to change the topic but I wasn't having it.

''What about your father?! I thought this was some sort of tradition between the two companies.'' I questioned.

''Well not anymore. I will deal with my father so don't worry about that. What you should be worried about is the dinner this weekend'' He suddenly told me and my brows scrunched in confusion.

''A dinner?!" I blurted and heard him yawn on the other side of the phone. He was probably very tired and was pushing himself too hard as usual.

''Mama wants us to come over for dinner this weekend. We spoke an hour ago and she would like to get to know you more.''

''You're joking....'' I trailed off.

''No, we're off to meet my familia! Isn't that great? I can feel the excitement right through the phone'' He piped up sarcastically and I just stared blankly at the wall, not knowing how to appropriately react to such news.

''Y..yeah so excited. Would you look at the time, I gotta go catch some zzs. Goodnight Anthony! Bye'' I rambled and hit the red button.

How on earth was I going to survive meeting my in-laws?

Hello everyone, it's pretty late but Happy New Year. Did you enjoy your holidays?

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

6.8K 721 28
Genevieve Hanover had no idea that there was more to her husband's mysteriousness and discretion. In fact, it is a lot more that she could have possi...
6.2K 348 33
Meet Michelle Anderson - a 21-year-old girl who exudes kindness, love, and warmth. Her bright sundresses and shy smile have always given the impressi...
1M 41K 48
"Now since we are done with the introductions I have a question. Are you sure about this marriage?" I nodded "I am." He scoffed and leaned against th...
507K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...