Tryst with Destiny: The End o...

By gogolsarkar

The continuation of my book, "Tryst with Destiny: The Beginning of the End" If you have already read it then... More

A Few Words by the Author
A Writer's Observation
100: An Amourful Wedding
101: Showering of Gifts
102: La musique est la fenรชtre de l'รขme
103: Party Dancecapades
104: L'รฉmotion de la parole
106: Wine and Dine
107: Sword's Dance
108: Treachery and Betrayal
109: Five Stages of Grief
110: The Politics of Power
111: Sound of Music - III
112: Warnings, Destiny and Biases
113: You reap what you sow
114: Five Years Later
115: The Tale to be Told... Begins Thus
The Critical Questions
116: El Renacimiento
117: The Nature of Evil
118: The Dragon Emperor Descends
119: A Titanic Negotiation
120: The Spar
121: The Gates of the Past
122: The Pokemon World
123: The Human and the Pokemon
124: Race Against Time
The Emperor's Call
125: The Deception of Reality
126: Timely Intervention
127: The Origin
128: The Insurance
129: The Battle of Bassir: The Beginning
Major Announcements
130: The Battle of Bassir: The Continuation
131: The Battle of Bassir: The Gambit

105: A Test of Bonds

2.2K 132 200
By gogolsarkar

(In the Wedding Hall)

Everyone turns around, only to see the Dragon Emperor is nowhere to be seen. On seeing him missing Ash, Serena and Delia stand up along with Grace who's already standing upright.

"Where's he Serena?" Grace inquirers.

"I don't know mom? He was sitting here a few minutes back." Serena answers in a soft confused tone.

Everyone glances at one another. Neither is sure what to do. Suddenly a spark occurs in the air and from that spark a piece of paper, which is smoking, slowly drifts down and lands in front of Serena. Without a moment's delay, Serena picks up the paper and reads what is in it. She reads for a moment then passes the paper to Ash. Ash reads the paper then tosses it into the air following which it catches fire and vanishes.

"What happened Serena? That was the Dragon Emperor's message, wasn't it?" Grace asks.

"Yup." Serena replies in a low tone.

"And?" Delia asks.

"He said he has something important to attend to and instructed us to proceed with the cutting of our wedding cake." Serena replies in a soft tone. She is clearly disappointed but composes herself quickly and gives everyone a fake smile.

"I suppose that we should proceed with the cake cutting and then the farewell dinner." Grace says as the cake is brought in front of Ash and Serena. Ash and Serena put aside their sadness and decide to focus their attention back to the task at hand. Serena takes the knife in her right hand and then Ash gently puts his fingers around her hand. Then they both cut the cake together while everyone claps and cheers for them. Ash then takes a piece of cake in his hand.

"My lovely wife Serena, accept this as an offering of my love." Ash says as he feeds Serena with the piece of cake. Serena blushes as she chews the cake. Then she takes a piece of cake and then says.

"Ash, my husband, eats this as a symbol of my love." Serena says as Ash gladly eats the cake out of her hands. All the boys and girls wolf whistle while all the adults beam at this display of affection. Soon Ash and Serena feed their mothers with a piece of cake. Following this servers appear who cut the cake into numerous slices and serve them to everyone. Everyone gets immersed in conversation while they are eating cake and drinking champagne.

Suddenly a sweet soft feminine voice echoes throughout the hall which catches everyone's attention.

"Mommy?" A small girl with purplish black hair says who's at the door and is poking her head through the doorway.

"Hello there." Serena says in a warm tone as she sees the girl looking here and there. The girl appears to be shy and doesn't respond.

"Don't be afraid. Come here." Serena says in a gentle tone as she smiles at the girl. The girl hesitatingly tiptoes her way over to Serena. Everyone else looks at this sweet girl in a curious manner.

"Hello." the girl replies in a sweet embarrassed tone.

"Hello there. My name is Serena. Don't be afraid. Who're you?" Serena asks the girl.

"My name is Alice. Have you seen my mommy?" the girl asks in a shy tone.

"Umm. No. Is mommy invited to my wedding?" Serena asks.

"No. She just vanished. I have been looking for her for 10 minutes." Alice replies.

"Maybe she had to go somewhere?" Ash suggests. Alice immediately gives Ash a questioning look.

"Don't worry about him. He's Ash, my husband we just got married here." Serena says in a comforting tone as she gently pats the girl's shoulders in order to calm her down.

"Oh. You got married here?" Alice answers in a curious tone.

"Yes. I did. A little while back actually." Serena replies.

"That's nice. I like weddings. A week back, I was the flower girl in one of my relative's weddings." Alice says in an excited bubbly voice.

"Well, that's good." Serena says.

"Why don't we do this. I'll have people go and look for your mother. Meanwhile, you stay here. When your mother comes back you can go with her. Is that fine with you?" Ash asks in a warm tone.

"Yes. I like weddings. I like cake and seeing jewellery." Alice responds while smiling.

"Well, why don't we let you have some cake while you wait?" Serena asks.

"Yippee. That'll be wonderful." Alice squeals in excitement. On Serena's indication, a server comes and gives Alice a piece of cake.

"Please stay with me. I feel a little lonely." Alice replies as she sees Ash and Serena almost leaving.

"Of course sweetie. Whatever you want." Serena says.

"Can you both come close to me and bend down till you are at my level? I want to have some fun with you." Alice asks. Both Ash and Serena glance at each other before smiling.

"Of course." they reply while bending down.

"What is it? What fun did you wish to have?" Ash asks in a sweet tone. Alice mischievously smiles back.

"Close your eyes." Alice says in a mischevious tone while grinning.

"OK." Ash and Serena say in unison as they close their eyes while smiling. However the very next second they feel a cold chocolaty sensation on their skin and their clothes. They open their eyes in shock as they realize that Alice has smeared their faces and clothes with chocolate cake. Everyone is shocked beyond belief as they see Ash and Serena wipe their faces with Ash's handkerchief. All of Ash's buddies have put their hands on their faces as they try not to burst into laughter while their girlfriends glare at them for such childish behaviour.

The only thing that goes through Grace and Delia's mind is the expensive dresses, which were more than 75,000 poke francs individually, have been ruined. The mouths of all the other guests are hanging open as they see Alice laugh her lungs out at the sight of Ash and Serena's condition.

"That was a fun prank." Alice chimes in a sweet innocent tone as Ash and Serena stare at her in wonderment knowing that she has ruined their dinner dresses for the night.

"You aren't mad at me. Are you?" Alice replies in a softer tone as she stops laughing. She then looks down on the floor and her feet start shuffling. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief when they see Serena's hand reach over and sweetly ruffle the hair of the little girl.

"No, I am not. But next time warn me OK?" Serena replies in a soft tone while smiling.

"Thank you for not getting mad at me. I like your name. Serena. So pretty." Alice continues.

"Thank you. You have a very pretty name too." Serena says. Her compliment which causes Alice to light up like a Christmas tree.

"Thanks. But you haven't told me your surname." Alice asks.

"It's Yvonne." Serena replies. Everyone watches happily as the conversation between the two parties continues.

"Yvonne. Oh my god. You are the Kalos Queen. My mommy loves watching old videos of your performances." Alice squeaks in excitement as she almost starts jumping in excitement.

"Thank you. And Ash, my husband, is the KIP Champion." Serena says. This causes Alice to look at Ash with wonder.

"Wow. My brother absolutely adores you. He says you're the best battler he's ever seen." Alice continues in her innocent tone. Ash tries his best not to blush but fails. He sheepishly scratches the back of his head and replies "Well I guess so."

"Since it is your wedding can I ask you for something?" Alice asks.

"Sure. What do you want?" Serena replies.

"Anything? You'll give me anything I want?" Alice enquirers again.

"Yes. I, Kalos Queen, Serena swear on the occasion of my wedding that I'll fulfil any request you have. Happy now?" Serena asks.

"Really? Both of you will give me whatever I want?" Alice asks.

"Yes. Whatever you want." Ash replies.

"Yippee. Yay." Alice says as everyone smiles at the innocence of this little girl.

"So what do you want?" Serena asks.

"I like jewellery. May I have the rings you are wearing. They are extremely pretty. I would like to add them to my collection." Alice asks as she extends her right palm forward. The words hit everyone like a ton of bricks. There is a moment of stunned silence. Ash and Serena look back at Alice with their mouths open out of utter shock as she continues to smile while keeping her palm stretched forward.

"Come again?" Serena repeats in a blank tone.

"I really like your wedding rings. They are very pretty. I would like to take them with me when my mommy comes to get me." Alice replies. The entire room starts echoing with gossip. Some people are beyond shocked, so shocked that they don't utter a single word.

"Umm. Sweetie. Why don't you ask for something else?" Grace manages to utter despite the shock she's received.

"No, I want the rings only. They are very pretty and like Serena said. She swears on her honour that she and her husband will give me their rings so she'll give me the rings. I don't want anything else." Alice replies in a sweet tone before turning back to face Serena and Ash. Ash and Serena who are still reeling from the shock of the request notice Alice looking at them in an expecting manner while keeping her palm stretched forward.

"Umm. I can't give you my wedding ring. I, I, I got married today." Serena manages to stutter out.

"I don't understand. You gave me your word." Alice replies in a hurt tone.

"Umm. Sweetie, we got married today. How can we give you our wedding rings? They are not even a day old." Ash replies in a dumbfounded tone.

"I thought you were my friends." Alice screams in a hurtful tone.

"Little girl. You shouldn't make unreasonable demands. You've already ruined their wedding dresses for the night. Why don't you ask for something more reasonable?" Palermo asks in the nicest possible tone she can manage.

"But she gave me her word. I trusted her." Alice whines as Grace and Delia come and take her hand.

"Little girl. You still shouldn't make such demands. It's not right. Why don't you come with us? You can play with Bonnie. She's a little bigger than you in age but I am sure you'll get along fine." Grace says.

"No. I don't like promise breakers. I am going. I'll find mommy on my own." Alice says in a bitter tone as she yanks herself free of Grace and Delia's grasp and starts going towards the door slowly. On the other hand, the words of Alice trigger a flashback in Ash and Serena's mind.

(Ash and Serena's Flashback)

Ash and Serena are training in the Hoenn region with the Dragon Emperor. Both of them are exhausted and are now listening to their master's lecture.

"The character and worth of a person are determined by how he or she discharges his debts. Debts don't just include material debts but promises you give to people. Sometimes it is worse to break promises over not repaying your material debt. As my students, you are expected to honour your commitments, words and promises to anyone to whom you have given them." Dragon Emperor says.

"You're saying we can't lie?" Serena asks.

"No. I am saying that if you have given a firm, confirmed verbal or written commitment that you will do a particular task for someone else on the stake of your honour, family or duty. Then as the pupils of the Dragon Emperor, you shall fulfil such commitments at all costs. As my students, you are expected to a higher standard." Dragon Emperor says.

"Umm. Why?" Ash asks.

"What do you mean why? I am ordering you and you shall do so." Dragon Emperor says.

"Not that. You have said so then we shall do as you ask. But what I want to know is the reasoning behind this request Dragon Emperor." Ash replies.

"The reasoning is simple. When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies. I will not have my students have the smear of such actions on their conscience." Dragon Emperor replies.

"But what if the demand is something which we are not able to fulfil or something which your teachings and our inner feelings and judgements don't permit?" Serena asks.

"Then you must not give such promises of commitments in the first place. This lesson is not just about making sure you hold true to your words but also about knowing when to give and not to give such commitments without any prior knowledge in the first place." Dragon Emperor says.

"Very well Dragon Emperor. We shall keep your words in mind." Ash says while Serena nods.

(Flashback over)

Ash and Serena are in a state internal turmoil. At one end is what those rings symbolize to themselves and to each other and for that matter to the world. On the other end is their duty to the Dragon Emperor and the promise made to this girl. They look at each other trying to decide what to do. Alice is about to exit the room when suddenly she stops upon hearing Serena's voice.

"Wait!" Serena calls out as Alice comes to a stop.

"Yes?" Alice says in a hurt tone.

"Come here." Serena says in an equally shaky tone.

"Serena? Ash?" Grace, Delia and Palermo ask in unison. All of them are shocked at this change in events. Alice unwillingly comes back to where both Ash and Serena are standing. Everyone can see dried tears on Alice's face as she quietly walks back.

"Mom please. Stay out of this." Ash replies in a shaky tone.

"You, really want our rings that badly?" Serena asks as tears enter her eyes which she barely manages to hold back.

"I do, but you won't give them to me. Will you?" Alice replies in a sad tone. Ash and Serena lock eyes for one final time following which they nod subtly to each other. Everyone gets shocked as both Ash and Serena proceed to remove their rings.

"Se-Se-Serena what are you doing?" Grace cries out.

"Ash, no!" Delia shouts.

"Mom it's OK. We have given Alice our word. We will honour it." Ash says as he sniffs his runny nose.

"Please stop right there. Don't make this harder than it already is." Serena says as she sees Grace and Delia and a few other people coming to her aid. Ash is the first one to drop his ring in Alice's palm. On doing so Alice's face instantly lights up while Ash almost starts crying. He struggles to stop the tears which are forming in his eyes while Alice moves her palm towards where Serena is standing. Everyone watches in shocked silence as Serena starts to extend her hand forward. Her ring is inside the fist of that hand. Serena's hand starts shaking as tears finally start streaming down her face. Finally, she opens her fist and lets her ring drop in Alice's palm who instantly closes her palm around the rings.

"Thank you. I will always cherish these as a token of our time together." Alice replies while smiling back. Serena manages to smile back following which Alice turns around as she proceeds to go out once more. Ash grasps Serena's hand as she wipes her tears. He squeezes her hands in a comforting manner while Serena's eyes start turning red due to the tears. As Alice is going away she waves her hand almost as if wishing her rings farewell.

"We'll get new rings. Don't worry." Ash says in a soft tone as Serena nods and then smiles back while she tightly grasps Ash's hand. Everyone then gets shocked when they see Alice who's come to a stop. Alice turns around then give Ash and Serena a huge grin. Ash and Serena do their best to smile back though they are feeling ripped from inside.

Suddenly there is a flash of blinding whitish light with a bluish tinge. This flash of light forces everyone to cover their eyes. When the light subsides they see the Dragon Emperor standing where Alice was standing. A huge gasp echoes throughout the room as the Dragon Emperor smiles back at Ash and Serena. On seeing the Dragon Emperor Ash and Serena immediately fall to their knees and bow.

"May good fortune keep smiling on you both my apprentices." Dragon Emperor says in a pleasant tone. He then raises his palm and 3 beams of blue light radiate from the centre of his palm. These beams of light fall on Ash and Serena for a few moments following which they stop. When Ash and Serena stand back up on their feet another gasp goes throughout the hall as everyone sees the stains from the smeared cakes are gone and rings are back on the fingers where they belong.

"What's going on?" Grace and Delia thunder in unison for till now they have been too confused by the events that have taken place.

"This was your test, my apprentices. And needless to say, you passed with flying colours." Dragon Emperor continues while ignoring Grace and Delia.

"Thank you Dragon Emperor. We passed because of your teachings and training." Ash and Serena reply as they bow their heads on more time.

"Will someone explain to me, what's going on here?" Grace demands of the Dragon Emperor.

"I am most impressed by your actions. They truly represent how you've grown under my tutelage. After that Mega Charizard Z and Mega Sylveon fiasco. I wasn't sure whether you were ready for what the future holds for you. That included not only your marriage but also what is to come in the next phase of your training. I am most impressed by your level of devotion to me. I am pleased that you honoured the promise you gave me regarding promises, vows and commitments." Dragon Emperor says.

"This was a test? Are you kidding me? This is no time and place to hold tests or play with the emotions of other people." Delia says in a cross tone.

"According to the ancient Pokemon scriptures, there are several kinds of donations one can give. But there are 3 which hold the rank of most pious and correspondingly the most difficult donations to pull off." Dragon Emperor says as everyone hangs on to everyone one of his words.

"These include. The donation of life. The donation of knowledge. And last but not the least. The donation on whose principle I tested you. The donation of love." Dragon Emperor says.

"Your selflessness, self-sacrifice, kindness, patience and acceptance are of utmost praise. These are qualities essential if a marriage is to survive. The Serena and Ash which fought against each other in the finals of the Tri-School tournament would never have agreed to give the most scared and treasured tokens of their love to a complete stranger even if it meant breaking their word of honour. You have passed your trial. Due to your actions, you have now become worthy to receive my gratitude." Dragon Emperor says.

"Gratitude?" Ash asks.

"Yes. Ask. What benediction do you require of me?" Dragon Emperor asks.

"Benediction?" Serena asks in dumbfounded tone.

"Yes. Tell me what is your heart's desire and it shall be granted?" Dragon Emperor replies.

"All I want to do is live forever happily with my Ash." Serena answers.

<Author's Note Begins>

This is a new soundtrack video created. As an exercise write the first emotion/adjective that comes into your mind when you listen to it.

<Author's Note Ends>

"Absolute immortality is against the laws of nature. Life and death are the processes based on which the natural order of things is maintained. He who takes birth in this world must eventually return to the earth one day. I can't go against the laws of nature and grant this boon in violation of the laws. For I too am bound by the same laws. Ask me for something else." Dragon Emperor says which shocks everyone.

"Umm. We want to be invincible in Pokemon battles." Ash asks.

"Absolute invincibility is also against the laws of nature. Change is the paramount law of the natural world. The natural world is in a constant phase of change. It has to if it wishes to remain in a stable equilibrium state. Victory and defeat are in your hands and in the control of circumstances and time. Sooner or later someone will come who will best you. That is the way of things." Dragon Emperor says. Ash and Serena then look at each other in a confused manner, unsure of what to ask.

"I think you're confused. Unsure of what you want. It's understandable. How about I give you a boon?" Dragon Emperor says. Everyone else simply remains silent as they play spectator to the whole event unfolding in front of them.

"Yes. That would be perfect." Ash and Serena reply in unison.

"You are married now. One chapter of your life is over. Another is to begin. So I will give you a benediction which will in a way insure your married life and the legacy of your bloodline." Dragon Emperor says.

"Insure?" Diantha mutters in a bewildered tone.

"I give you the boon. That when the time is right and there is consent on both sides. You two will be able to have as many children as you wish as long as Serena is less than 50 years in age. All of your children will be child prodigies and their abilities and capabilities shall far outstrip those of their parents." Dragon Emperor says as everyone gets completely taken by shock.

"Can we ask for one little thing along with this?" Ash asks.

"Go ahead." Dragon Emperor says.

"Can you bless us with everlasting fame and eternal glory?" Ash asks.

"I don't mean to interrupt this entertaining boon mumbo jumbo but how can anything you say come true? No one can control the future. Much less ensure all children will be prodigies." Lance says in a tone which clearly shows he's entertaining himself.

"So be it." Dragon Emperor replies to Ash and Serena's request and ignoring Lance's words. The very next instant the lights of the room start going on and off. The hall begins to vibrate slightly and the air circulation of the room picks up its pace. The sound of rising wind and thunder becomes louder and louder.

Dragon Emperor's eyes start shining a bright blue and his body also gets a bluish outline. He raises his right palm which develops a shiny bluish spot the very next second. Everyone watches, without batting an eyelash, as a beam of bluish energy appears out of the spot in the Dragon Emperor's palm. The beam bifurcates into two before it enters Ash and Serena's body. Ash and Serena slightly buckle over as a few moments pass and the bluish energy keeps entering their body.

A few moments later the beam stops coming out of the Dragon Emperor's body. Simultaneously everything in the environment which was agitated soon returns to a normal stable condition. Everything returns to normal except Ash and Serena whose body parts are still showing random periods of bluish glow. A few minutes later even that stops.

"How do you feel?" Dragon Emperor asks.

"Feeling a little funny to be honest." Ash replies after a few moments.

"Never been given a boon before." Serena answers which cause Dragon Emperor to chuckle.

"Yes. It takes a little time for the aura to get completely assimilated into the recipient's body. Don't worry within a few moments you'll be fine as a fiddle. Dragon Emperor anticipates a barrage of questions coming his way so he very cleverly decides to take things into his own hands.

"Ash Serena. It is now very late and I'm sure the guests are all very hungry and wanting to call it a night. I'm sure you're both also itching to go for your honeymoon. Have the farewell dinner set up without further ado. I shall be back momentarily so reserve a seat for me." Dragon Emperor says as he brandishes his cloak and teleports away leaving a flabbergasted hall of people behind.

<Author's Note Begins>

Happy Halloween. I hope you enjoyed the Trick and Treating nature of this chapter. An interesting turn of events wouldn't you say? Did any of you even think Alice would a be a trick by the Dragon Emperor? Did any of you enjoy this treat chapter on Halloween?

Either way now down to serious business. The story has now entered the adult/mature phase. Things are going to get very interesting very soon for the gates of the past are going to open very soon starting with the Dragon Emperor's story and many more secrets that are buried in the past?

<Author's Note Ends>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410K 7.5K 61
"Do u remember the promise we did?" "I do..." Get ready to immerse yourself once again in the world of Pokemon FanFic. This fan fic respects the sto...
42.5K 1.8K 34
The whole point of Travelling across the regions for Ash was to not have a boring life with a corporate job, but now, 8 years later, he has both of t...
82.9K 2K 54
This is the story of what happens after Ash wins the Masters Tournament. All our heroes attend a celebration in honor of the new Monarch. What will h...
15.1K 325 19
After Leaving everything back in Kalos, Ash worries about the decisions he had made that day. " I regret Everything" He always says to himself. Ash h...