Designs of Love (TP2)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) When Jennifer Dixon entered their impeccably decorated apartment, she was glad it was quiet and em... More

Designs Of Love
1 -Jennifer Dixon, New York City
2 - Alex Goodwin, Maine
3 -Jennifer and Sterling Dixon
4 - Jen/ Alex
5 - Alex/ Jen
6 - Alex
7 -Jen
8 - Alex and Kate
9 - Jen and Avery
10 - Alex
11 - Jen
12 - Sterling/ Jen
13 - Alex/ Avery
14 - Jen
15 - Alex
16 - Jen
17 - Sterling/ Alex/ Jen
18 - Jen/ Alex
19 - Jen/ Alex
20 - Jen
21 - Alex
23 - Tom/ Alex
24 - Jen
25 - Alex
26 - Avery/ Sterling/Jen
27 - Kate/ Alex
28 - Jen
29 - Avery/ Jen/ Avery again
30 - Alex/ Jen
31 - Alex/ Avery
32 - Kate/ Jen
33 - Alex/ Jen
34 - Avery/ Jen/ Alex
35 - Jen and Alex
36 - Avery/ Jen/ Alex
37 - Alex/ Kate
38 - Jen
39 - Kate/ Alex
40 - Jen/ Avery
41 - Alex/ Jen
42 - Alex/ Jen/ Alex
43 - Jen
44 - Alex/ Jen
45 - Sterling/ Alex
46 - Jen/ Kate/ Alex
Bonus Chapter: Jen and Megan and a song
47 - Jen/ Alex/ Jen
48 - Alex/ Jen
49 - Alex
50 - Jen
51 - Alex and Jen
52 - Jen Goodwin, The Point

22 - Jen

5.1K 370 34
By pseudoannie

This is one of my favorite chapters. I hope you like it!

She didn't know what to think when he finally texted her. She was used to speaking to him every day and suddenly it had been almost a week. She missed him and even Avery could tell she was in a mood.

It was bad enough she gave up her plan to go to Maine because of the benefit. Then she had to spend the entire evening with Sterling. The previous year, he annoyed her because he worked the room all night and left her alone. This year he insisted she joined him so they could represent Dixon Designs together. She kept hissing it would be that much harder when word of the divorce got out.

She said, "Sterling, you're not being fair to Trevor. He isn't going to hide in the shadows while you pretend you're married to me. I intend to date once we're divorced."

"Darling, we're a team, true partners."

"In business only!"

On Sunday, she was so disappointed when Alex wasn't home. She needed to hear his voice. The week went on and she couldn't reach him. By Wednesday night she was alternating between being mad and worried. In desperation, she called her parents to make sure he was alright.

On Thursday night when he finally called, she purposely let the phone ring before answering.

He said, "Sorry I've been crazy all week. All my jobs are ending and I'm preparing for the next ones."

"I thought I upset you and I didn't know why." She betrayed herself when she had planned to act cool.

"No, why would I be upset? Things on the house are fine. You haven't thrown any changes at me recently."

"Well, I thought we were friends... more than just builder and designer." She felt the sting in her chest.

"I suppose so." He didn't sound convinced.

"Well, maybe I was wrong. I was wondering how things were coming along."

"Things are right on track. The kitchen is taking shape. I'll send you some pictures tomorrow."

"I was disappointed that I couldn't come last weekend."

"I'm sure you had important things to do."

"It was important for the firm, but not me. I had to go to an event filled with potential clients and I had to smile while Sterling sucked up to them."

"So you're together again?"

"Oh God, no! He insisted we go for the firm. You know appearances and all that. Why do you care? You just tried to tell me we aren't friends."

She desperately wanted to tell him the truth that her days revolve around their phone calls and this week she was miserable.

"Did I?"

"What's really bothering you?"

"I don't know. This house is almost done. Then you'll go on with your life in New York. I'll start my new projects. You know what they say life goes on."

She didn't respond because there wasn't anything for her to say. She'd be in Maine for two weeks finishing the house. She was already busy scheduling for the deliveries. After the house was done she planned to spend some weekends in Maine over the summer, but that was not the same as working with him.

Finally, she said, "We have some of the same friends we may run into each other from time to time."

"Maybe. Listen, I have some work to do."

"Okay. Um Alex, thanks for calling. I'll miss being kind of friends with you." She sounded like a complete idiot.

She sat staring at her phone. She tried to convince herself not to cry, but unfortunately, she failed. She curled up in bed and felt sorry for herself. She knew it was crazy because he was right, they had no future as friends never mind as more than friends. It was the more than friends part that she longed for. Given the chance, she would sleep with him. She definitely thought about it enough.

For the first time in a long time, she and Avery went out on Friday night. Jen desperately needed a night out. She still felt a pang remembering how they were once a group of three with Sterling, but she didn't know that Sterling anymore even the one that had been her friend.

Avery chose a hip, popular bar and like always she knew someone so they didn't need to wait in line. They definitely turned heads when the two of them walked in. They bought their first round and then drinks appeared in front of them all night. They spoke with friends and Jen saw some clients who liked to tell her how much they loved the work she did for them.

She was talking to a client, when Avery disappeared. She found her surrounded by five men in suits. They looked about Jen's age. Avery was a couple years older.

"Here she is! Jen come and meet my new friends!"

Jen could tell Avery was drunk and she would have to make sure Avery didn't take off with one of her new friends. Jen was not as drunk, but was definitely feeling a buzz.

All the men waved at Jen, except one who just stared at her. Finally, he said, "We've talked to each other before."

"Have we?" she wondered where, but thought he was cute and large for a guy in a suit like...

"We discussed the appeal of a certain sculpture." He smiled.

She looked at him closer. Similar eyes. "You're Tom?"

"How do you know each other?"

"She's working with my brother."

Avery was confused, but then she said, "You're from Maine?" Tom nodded and Avery said, "You two need to take a selfie and send it to him."

Jen protested, but finally relented thinking she'd get him for dismissing her so quickly. As they both posed cheek to cheek, she turned her head and kissed his cheek.

Avery yelled, "Send him that one!"

Tom smiled and sent it off. Then Avery said, "I want to be in one too! Jen take it."

Tom gave Jen his phone and as she went to take the picture, Avery kissed him on the lips. Apparently, they both liked it because they were really kissing. The way she dreamed of kissing Alex.

She had Tom's phone and Alex was texting him asking what the expletive was he doing?

She replied, he's busy and attached the picture of Avery kissing him.

What's going on?

She replied, don't know.

Will you get off his phone and look at yours?

Jen saw he had texted her, why are you with my brother? Why are you kissing him?

She replied, we just ran into each other. I kissed him for fun. He and Avery are. She took and sent another picture of them still kissing.

He responded, this happens in NY?

Sometimes. Not for me. I forgot how to be single.

You're not single

Technicality!

Are you drunk?

No. If I were you'd know.

How?

I wouldn't be able to text words.

You should go home. Goodnight.

Jen finally got Avery and Tom's attention and said, "I'm leaving."

Avery turned to Tom. "Walk us home."

He responded by taking her hand. It was killing Jen seeing them together when all she wanted was to hold Alex's hand and kiss him. She wasn't surprised when Tom came up to the apartment.

"Have fun you two,"

"Don't you live with your husband?" Tom asked, confused.

"No, we're not together anymore."

"But I just saw you in the paper together. I mentioned it to Alex too."

"That was all business. We're still business partners."

It was torture with Avery getting everything she'd been dreaming of.

A text came through from Alex, Are you home?

After she replied, yes, her phone rang. "Hello," she whispered.

"How did you meet my brother?"

"Avery and I went out. I had a bad week. We had a few drinks, and I was talking to some clients. She found a bunch of suits, and Tom was one. He told me who he was. I definitely see the resemblance. Now he's with Avery doing I don't want to know."

"He's at your apartment!"

"Uh, huh."

"Staying over?"

"Possibly. Listen, Tom told me you saw the picture in the paper."

"Yeah, so I saw you dressed up."

She smiled wondering if he liked her dress. She also suspected that was why he had turned distant.

"You know I told you, it was all business."

"That's what you think, but he will never let you go. How could he?"

"He's in love with someone else."

"He'll be begging you to take him back," Alex insisted.

"He would love it if I turned a blind eye and stayed married to him for the sake of both his ego and the business, but that's not fair to me. Listen, I'm tired."

"Yeah, it's late. Goodnight."

Jen lay in bed. She couldn't hear Avery and Tom, but she knew they were in the bedroom. That meant only one thing. The thought of Avery with Alex's brother was torture. If she had one day to live, and she had to choose how to spend it, she knew without a doubt that she would spend it in Alex's arms. He was such a nice guy he'd grant her that wish.

In the back of her mind, she was piecing together evidence that maybe he felt something for her. The biggest reason was the way he shut her down after he knew she was with Sterling. His comment, he will never let you go. How could he? It was almost as if he meant how could he? I never could. Were those the words she wanted to hear? It was one thing to love him, but another to make it work. There weren't any houses being built in Manhattan and no Dixon Designs in Maine.

Sleep finally came, and she dreamed of sleeping in Alex's arms, but then he was drifting out to sea and she was on shore watching. She was on her second cup of coffee when Tom appeared. He looked sexy, but he wasn't Alex. She felt a pang of longing for the brother of the man in front of her.

"Coffee?"

"Yes, please."

"Do you love it like Alex?"

"Law school, billing insane hours. Absolutely! That we get from our father. Hank, you know about Hank?" she nodded. "Hank's calm and cool. He drinks herbal tea."

"So where's Avery?"

"Still asleep."

"Is she going to remember you?" Jen teased.

"She wasn't as wasted as she appeared." He smiled.

"So are you going to slink out of here before she wakes up?"

"And give her a chance to change her mind about how good we are? No way! I'm hanging around to convince her she can't live without me."

Jen laughed. "Good luck!" Secretly she liked that he saw what he wanted and went after it. "Expect to hear from your brother today."

"Great! Is he a pain to work with?"

"No why? Is he a pain as a brother?"

"No, I love him. He took care of us after the divorce even though he was only ten. He just didn't like you much when you met."

"Oh, that was mutual. We got past that." Way past, she thought. "He is good at what he does."

"His work is incredible. Have you seen his house? I can't image, what that's worth."

"That close to the beach with the view easily over a million."

"Yeah, I wear a suit all day and toil for ridiculous hours and he's the one who's loaded. He's the only person who can screw up and come out on top."

"What did he do? I've heard rumblings."

"It's old news now, but I never told you." He got up for more coffee. "This is good!"

"Family business, we make good coffee." She smiled.

"He was young around twenty-four, maybe twenty-five. He got involved with an older woman. Not ridiculous, but maybe thirty-two or three. He was the foreman on her lake house renovation. The whole thing blew up when the husband found out. The husband went to Hank and threatened to ruin his business if he didn't fire Alex. Broke Hank's heart, but he did it. My mother was a mess. Alex lives with that guilt. He had never been serious with anyone since."

Jen thought it explained a lot ─ his odd relationship with Julia for one. It also explained his mistrust that she was really getting divorced and then there was his whole blow up about rumors. Alex probably thought he could lose everything he built with a nasty rumor. Tom didn't know Alex was currently more involved with someone than he ever intended. Jen suddenly understood Alex.

Her problem was what would she do about it? She would have to wait until her divorce, but what then? She had no idea.

Avery came out of the bedroom looking quite disheveled. It surprised Jen, she hadn't fixed herself up.

"I was afraid you left!"

Tom smiled at Avery, and she swooned. Jen knew exactly how that felt. Avery got coffee and joined them.

"Should I leave you two alone today?" Jen asked.

"No. We'll save the ravaging for the bedroom. I was thinking I might like to go back to bed."

Tom smiled and followed her into her room. Jen had plenty of work to do. Her mind kept going back to Alex and what she learned about his past. She imagined little Alex watching out for his brother and sister. He was responsible like that. She was sure that's what made his mistake all the worse because he let people down. He was a good man; she had no doubt about that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Push By Aubrey

ChickLit

196K 10.1K 40
Gwen's life was perfect --- until it wasn't. After her husband's deception is revealed, the young mother must face a new reality without her childho...
496K 13.2K 39
What happens when you realise the man who owns your heart no longer treasures it? The man you fell in love with no longer exists? Do you stay? Or do...
823K 19.2K 46
'I loved you more than anything else, your were my world, while to you I was just a piece of gum on your shoe' -Valery I thought our love was paradis...
340K 7.6K 68
"What the hell do you want from me?" I yelled "YOU" he roared "IT'S ALWAYS YOU" my heart pounded in my chest but I knew better Lies, All lies!! "Well...