Chasing Zero

By jackson_terrance

What lengths would you go to in order to achieve your dreams? Spencer has always seen the world through numbe... More

Revision
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three

Six

2.8K 192 25
By jackson_terrance

Things were already set in motion. In order for Sky to become my boyfriend, we needed to establish a friendship first. That was important for any relationship. Before I could be with someone, I had to make sure I could trust them and that they were the type of person I would want to spend my time with.

From what I was already able to gather from him, I could tell that Sky was quite the gentleman. No matter who was talking to him, he treated them with respect. And not the type of respect where he treated everyone around him like authority but rather the respect where he treated everyone like a decent human being. He didn't seem to judge people until he got to know them, causing him to always be open and friendly with others.

In a strange sense, I was almost nervous for him to get to know the real me. Would he still like me after hanging out for a while? Would he judge me and think of me as a weird fact-gathering freak? Or would he think of me as some narcissist because I was proud of the work I'd written? It wouldn't be the first time.

When it came to talking about myself, there wasn't always a lot to say when I was first getting to know someone. The one thing I could always count on to talk about were my books, both what I've read and written. I was proud of everything I've written, so I talked about my process as a writer quite often. Many people found me to be vain due to it. I didn't blame them, as I probably would have thought the same thing if I was just getting to know someone. I just hated to share personal facts about myself right off the bat. I wasn't a very open person when it came to my personality. Writing was the one thing that I knew I could share with people, so I never thought twice about sharing my work. If they didn't like it, then so be it.

Since books were a passion of mine, I wanted a job where I would get to work with them. While I was majoring to become a librarian, I worked a quaint bookshop near campus. It wasn't a chain, rather independently owned by a mom and dad who took it over from her parents over a decade ago.

Every Sunday, people would bring their children to the store where they would hear someone read a children's book out loud. It was a great way to ignite the love of reading in plenty of young children. Plus, it was a great excuse to leave the house. Unfortunately, I was sitting in front of the large crowd with the book 'If You Give A Mouse A Cookie' in my lap as children's beady eyes stared dumbly at me.

Whether it was the attention or just stares in general, I hated it. When there was no need to stare at me, people shouldn't be looking. I wasn't going to start reading for another five minutes, so it was my fault for deciding to sit in front of everyone early, allowing them to stare at me. I hated the agonizing waiting. And the fact that it was children who were staring at me made it worst. When their eyes were vacant, it was like they could look into my soul and pick apart my deepest insecurities without any filters.

I wasn't particularly fond of children. It was always funny whenever I mentioned that to someone, and they would tell me 'Oh, so you hate yourself because you're a kid?' I may have hated myself, but that had nothing to do with my disliking of children. I never intended to have any. If I were to become a parent, I would ruin that child's life, no doubt. But I still worked with children because I knew I would be surrounded by children for the rest of my life, especially if I worked at a physical library instead of an online one. And it wasn't as though I would ever be rude to children or treat them with disrespect. I may not have particularly liked kids, but that didn't mean I shouldn't know how to work with them. So while the job sucked, I knew it would pay off in the end.

Once it was finally time to begin, I stared up at the crowd and smiled. "Good afternoon, everyone." Scanning everyone's face, my smile widened when I spotted Sky in the audience. I told him about my job and how I was working today. He seemed pleasantly surprised as he watched me, but I was more surprised to see him holding a kid with a woman by his side.

Masking the shock from my face, I began to address the crowd, asking a few questions before I began to read with minimal stuttering. I held the book up by my head, and before I would turn the page, I showed the pictures to every kid who sat in front of me. They all 'oohed' and 'awed' at the illustrations. A few kids began to laugh, some cried, other pushed their friends and strangers around. It was chaos, especially when the parents had to settle in to break their children apart. It made me not want kids all the more.

By the time I was done, I received a round of applause. I let the parents know that the book was on sale, which began a small uproar of children wanting it. With everyone distracted, I was able to slip away to the back counter.

With much enthusiasm, Marcy drawled out, "Excellent job like always." Despite the disinterest, I knew she was grateful for me taking over her shift as the reader. If I were up until five in the morning for another job where I carried heavy boxes all day and then had to come in at nine for a different job, I would be dead too.

"Thanks. I don't mind it," I lied, and she knew it. The only reason I could muster myself to get up there and read for the children was because my friend needed my help. There was nothing I wouldn't do for my friends, even if it meant suffering through my fears.

"If you don't mind it, I'll have to come by more often," I heard Sky say behind me.

With a roll of my eyes, I turned around and smirked at him and the child in his arms. It may have been nice to see him, but after dealing with the rowdy crowd, I wanted nothing more than the silence of categorizing used novels. But since he came all the way to see me, I knew it would be impolite to tell him to go.

"That'd be lovely," I said with more sarcasm than I anticipated. Upon receiving a small frown from him, I shook my head. "Long day," I grumbled before smiling. "It's good to see you. I'm glad you came."

"You as well. You didn't tell me you were going to be the reader," he chuckled, shaking off my prior attitude.

"They took over for me," Marcy yawned.

"I can see why," he mumbled under his breath. He shifted the child in his arms to his other side, smiling as the child looked at him. He seemed quite infatuated by the boy, which was very adorable.

"Who's this?"

"Spencer, meet Billy," he cooed. "He's my nephew."

"Cute kid," I commented, not sure of what else to say.

"Yeah, my older sister told me about the reading here, and you told me you were working today, so I thought it would be fun to visit. You were quite good at reading up there, what with your dialects and all. You certainly know how to read aloud," he praised. "You didn't seem as nervous as you were when you talked in front of the class about your magazine."

"No, but I was still nervous. I hate to talk in front of large crowds. I don't do it unless I have to."

"But you act."

"Yeah, but that's different. I don't act because I like acting, I do it for writing purposes. And it's not the crowds I hate, it's the staring. When it's unwarranted, it's obnoxious and causes an internal panic."

"Really?" he gasped, and I nodded. "I've never noticed."

"It's because I'm a damn good- Sorry, dang good author who knows how to hide what's going on inside."

"Maybe you could help teach me to be as good as you," he flirted.

It knocked me off guard. Not once had he ever tried to be flirtatious. As cruel as it sounded, it humored me. Not the fact that he was flirting, just the way he chose to execute it. Even Marcy shot her head up when she heard, seemingly no longer tired. Her eyes darted back and forth between us, a smile slowly expanding across her face. I rolled my eyes, unable to find the need to entertain her.

Nodding my head toward the other side of the counter, he followed me over. I leaned over the counter and asked, "Are you seriously wanting my help?"

"You brought me over here to ask that?"

"Marcy can be a bit much at time," I said, brushing it off. "But if you need some more help, I don't mind helping. It'll be fun."

"Really?" he beamed.

Chuckling, I nodded. "Yeah, really. I like spending time with you."

That caused a blush to creep up his cheeks, and in my head, I did a little victory dance. It was happening. "I...I like spending time with you too. You're an awesome person."

"What can I say?" I asked as I flipped imaginary long hair over my shoulder. "I do happen to have quite the effect on people."

Casting his eyes to the ground, he looked up with a bashful smile. "I like the effect," he claimed. "I like you, actually."

Hearing that sparked quite a few thoughts to furiously run around in my head. The most noticeable of them all had to be how thankful I was not be seated next to Marcy. She would have flipped out, most likely falling off her stool and onto the ground. An image of her doing that popped up in my brain, causing me to snicker.

I wished I could have taken it back. I forgot in the moment that Sky was standing in front of me, watching me anxiously as he anticipated my response. I didn't know what to say. What could I have said? I thought he would have at least asked me out first before he admitted to liking me. Then again, people did have to like someone if they wanted to go out with them. It would have made sense for him to tell me his feelings before asking me out, except I was too dense to acknowledge the possibility of it occurring and too stupid to remember the fact that I was talking to him in the first place.

Finally facing him again, I clamped my hand on his shoulder before he could walk away. "Let's go on a date."

That earned Marcy's attention, turning my vision into a reality as she fumbled off her stool. I ignored her, keeping my eyes locked on his. I didn't dare to look away, knowing I would lose my chance with him if I did. I messed up with my laughter, despite how it was not addressed towards him. I was not going to let this slip away from me.

He blinked, his gaze unwavering as he inspected my eyes, expecting me to be joking. I was not intending to let him go. He liked me, I liked what I knew about him so far. I wouldn't be opposed to going out on a date with him. I wanted to. I was excited to. My first date. It would be perfect to write about.

A smile slowly broke out. Though his eyes darted away from mine, he quickly locked eyes yet again. "Really? You want to go out?"

"Yes," I stated. "What do you say?"

Time slowed down. Everything was weighing on his response. If I was going to make it as a writer, I would need for him to agree. And I hung onto his words, biting my lip as I waited for his response.

"I'd love to."

I did it!

I wanted to celebrate, dance around and host a party. Then again, parties meant I would need to surround myself with people, and I did not favor crowds. Too many people around me made me anxious. I would have a panic attack in no time. Unless I had a friend by my side, someone who could help me keep my cool. But I only really three at the moment: Gray, Marcy, and my mother. But soon Sky would be added to list. I just needed the date to be a success.

"I'll...how about Saturday? I'm working Friday."

"For sure," I agreed.

A woman called out to Sky. He took it as his cue to leave, but not before flashing me one final, bashful smile.

"Well, look what just happened there," Marcy smirked as I walked back to my station, and she yawned. "I never thought I would see the day where you would intentionally ask someone out."

"I'm all about surprises these days," I cheekily smiled.

"Still, you've never pegged me for the dating type. Why this guy?"

"I have my reasons."

Her eyes narrowed down on me, most likely concerned over Sky's well-being. Or she was trying to threaten the reasons out of me. But it wasn't as though I was doing anything wrong. I liked Sky. He was someone I wanted to continue getting to know more about. I wanted to spend time with him. I wanted to be romantic with him. I needed to be romantic with him.

My future depended on it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 8.2K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
1.2K 29 10
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
992 24 18
Her brows furrowed. "You look like you have something specific you wanna ask me." The tips of Liam's ears turned red at Emma's very accurate observat...
5.2K 281 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...