The Demon Trials (The Demon T...

Von PaulChristen

Sixteen-year-old Caden Abele is a rising, high school soccer player. He's supposed to have the best time of h... Mehr

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Acknowledgements
The Trials Continues (UPDATED)

Chapter 16

48 0 0
Von PaulChristen

Grasping the ball of fire in my hand, the feeling of the blue flames circulates in my palm; while I feel the burning sensation rushing to my right arm to the bones and soon all throughout my body. Looking over the bathroom stall I had to stash myself into hoping no one saw me.

Got to get rid of this! As the thought immediately come into my mind, I half to devise a plan to get it away. Then I spot my focus onto the white toilet, questioning if this is the right place to get rid of; however, the burning of the fireball and feeling the sweat coming down my forehead, I cannot hold it anymore.

I open up the toilet seat to see the inside of the toilet with the clear, fluent toilet water. With absolutely no choice, I throw out my right arm where I dump the thing inside the toilet. Realizing this thing could explode, as soon as dump the fireball inside the toilet, I quickly open the stall door and lunge to the floor nearby the sinks the same time I hear a huge BOOM!

As I hit the floor, pieces of the toilet comes flying by while the toilet water burst out like a busted fire hydrant. I’m able to turn to see the geyser-like liquid peak up as the rest of the liquid is over the floor. I get up swiftly so I would not let my clothes get wet and then I glance at what is left of the toilet, seeing all the remains throughout the stall and some reaching to nearby adjacent stalls.

Suddenly, the restroom door startling to crack and then it opens all the way to where a classmate enters.

“Whoa!” He yells surprised. “What happened?”

“I have no clue; I tried to get in and then it just exploded.” I reply.

“Just explode?” He sounds confused.

“Yeah, strange isn’t.” I state.

“O…okay; I was heading here to use it until I heard a pop-like sound. I didn’t know it was this.” He says.

“I think you should get the janitor.” I say.

He staring at the remains and then listen to what I had to say; he shakes his head in agreement and heads out. Realizing the coast is clear for now, I glance back at the remains and thinking that great I did that. I then look back at my right hand understanding right after I threw that fireball, the burning stopped and the sweating stopped. My demonic side is trying to take control, but I know starting tomorrow things is going to be different. It will be a new day because with Mal’s training, I’m going to learn to control my demonic side before it controls me.

The janitor still is dumbstruck in how that toilet imploded itself. Principal Chassion is staring to get paranoid a bit because of how strange things have been happening around the school. Chassion began to question me. As he and the others argued nature vs. weird, I know how it exploded.

Liana reached me and asked what happened in the boy’s room because she heard rumor—proven to be true—that I was there. She wondered the same coincidence in how it happened. I tried to tell her that it probably was mere coincidence, but this whole year has been strange. Liana mentioned that “It’s usually New Orleans that supposed to have weird things happen, not Oakston.”

I try to tell her that Oakston maybe be a quiet town, but it is not normal. She pondered in how I say “not normal”, and try to question the reasoning behind that statement. I just had to respond—knowing what is not normal is actually about my life and not the entire town; it just that I do not want to mention anything about my “life” to her. I wanted to keep Mal’s words and promised him I will not mention my demonic side to anyone besides him, my mom, Desmond, and Oxley.

Liana looked at me waiting for that answer, and all I had to tell her was “Oakston isn’t perfect.” She sort of nodded back not even saying anything. Not wanting that to spark another separation between us, I started to think about ill grandmother, Mrs. Viola. I told her about her grandmother and wondered how she was doing.

 Liana responded quickly, “My grandma is getting better, just need to regain her balance a bit.” I replied back by telling her hope her grandmother will continue to get well. I cannot imagine having a grandparent and they were sick. She ushered a smile and quickly leap for a hug. She wrapped her arms around my back; when she got closer to my face, she landed a kiss on my left cheek.

I cracked a smirk in response to that; we ended the hug. She soon replied, “Thank you.” And then turned around walking down the hallway; I wondered where she was going since our biology class was about to start in five minutes. She told me that she’ll be in class but had to meet someone right quick.

Who was this someone?

Whoever this someone was either another gal or a guy, I tried to ignore, but being that best friend I did not want to hurt her. We are not dating or anything, but those nagging feelings I still have was definitely not going away. As the school day ended, I was reminded by Mal to meet him in the forest right after classes end.

***

Heading back to the border of the town, I walk into the forest not even wanted to think about what happened yesterday and learning there was a way to kill me. I then hear a loud noise.

“Hey!”

I turn around hastily to see Mal yelling. I sort was a bit scared placing my hand over my chest. “Don’t do that!”

“I wanted to get your attention.”

“Where there is something called touching; that’s all what you need to do.”

“Didn’t get the memo.”

“So, what now?!”

“Time to train…” Before he finished up what he had to say, I feel Karina and Aris explained about the second trial and the hellhounds; but I needed to tell him about what I recently discovered about my other side earlier today.

“Mal, you need to know this!” I state.

“What is it?” He says very cautiously.

“You know summoning fireballs right.”

“Yes, why?”

“I just did it yesterday and it wasn’t a typical fireball.”

“What you mean?”

I need to show him instead of telling; so I rise my right hand up near my head and neck level and trying to sense the burning that I felt yesterday. I even close my eyes trying to wonder why it is not working. I open back up my eyes where there is nothing on my right hand.

“So you can throw a fireball; that is great. It will definitely come in handy.” Mal says.

I want to show him that is a mere fireball; it is not the typical colors of fire it is something else. I did not want to tell him because it is better to see what it is; instead my demonic side is playing mind games with me.

“What are you doing Caden?” Mal asks being a bit confused in what I’m trying to do, but as I look back at him wanting to respond back, I cannot feel the burn which I felt yesterday. It was scorching hot in the way I felt the fireball being summoned into my hand. However, I do not think it was actually me, but it was demonic side. Yet again, an example why two sides of me is not working as one.

Mal looks at me still trying to question why I cannot summon up a fireball, and I hope he figure out what I’m thinking.

“You can’t summon a fireball?” He asks.

“No!” I reply back. “In fact, my demonic side summoned it; I didn’t have any full control until I was able to throw it in the boy’s restroom and made a toilet explode.”

Mal looking a bit baffled on his face, yet try to understand what I need to do.

“Well this is the right time.” He says.

“And why is that?” I ask.

“Because you are going to summon it.”  He replies. “Raise out your hand again.”

I do what he tells me to, so I rise my right hand up near my neck level and I lock my eyes on to it. Mal soon comes around me and uses his hands to manipulate my hand’s position. I wonder why is this son maybe in trying to make me summon it faster or have a greater control of it once I summon it. When he finishes setting my hand in how he wants it, he then goes back in front of me and walks back a bit.

“Focus!” He yells.

“What I should do?” I ask pondering what he means by focus.

“What you did before closing your eyes; do that again!” He demands.

In hoping I might get better results than last time, I close my eyes once more and then Mal let me know in his forceful tone, “Whatever you do Caden, do not open your eyes!” Respecting his wishes, I still have my eyes close still having my right hand up.

“Now, focus!” He says.

“What you mean focus?” I question what he meant while not seeing him.

“Focus on anything that will be able for you to look at as something to fight for.” He continues, “Find something that gives you hope. Once you do it, focus on that.”

“So you mean anything?” I ask.

“Yes, anything but you need to focus on it and hang on to it. That will help you control your demonic side; however, whatever you do; do not let go!”

As I tilt my head down a bit and my eyes close, all I need to do is to find whatever that is that gives me hope, something to fight for. I begin to think about my mother, Anne. She has always been there for me and what better way than to have my mother as my inspiration. I try to think any memories I have of her and then I start thinking about a school talent show I had to do when I was ten.

 It was at middle school; my talent was singing this song I came up with the help of my mom. Liana was doing a similar talent, but had to play the guitar. After her turn passed and then a couple of spots later, I was next up. I stepped onto the stage glaring at all the audience people and their nearby the third row in the middle section of the auditorium was an empty seat.

An empty seat that was supposed to where my mother sits. She wasn’t there. In the first ten minutes as the piano music began, I was silent. I started to forget the lyrics my mom helped rehearsing with me, but not seeing her there made my early start flat. However, in the next two minutes, I could see a female coming by and rushing to the third row into that empty seat. And to my amazement, she was my mother.

She sat down all dressed in her nursing uniform and waved hi to me. She smiled as she waved, and with that instant she gave me inspiration and I began to sing the song we both crafted. In the nick of time, I successfully finished my song. Everyone began to clap in applause especially my mother.

Thinking about that specific moment, it was funny because I was young and I needed a spark from my mother. And when she did come, she gave me that spark. Hoping she will do it again, I sensing that moment and focus very hard on it. I open up my eyes to see absolutely nothing on top of my hand. I’m very upset to see no fireball; I cannot even feel the burning sensation that was a significant indicator.

I glance back up to Mal to where he is not showing any emotions; nothing that represent anger or not evening showing anything that represent disappointment. Mal is very hard to read when it comes to emotions; is this how he was raised as a demon and probably other demons with emotions being absently.

“What I did wrong?” I ask bewildered.

“You didn’t focus.” He replies.

“But I did!” I respond back.

“You didn’t focus hard enough. I told you don’t let go.” He explains.

“I held onto that memory as I hard as I could.” I say.

“What did you focused?” He asks.

“On my mother and how what happened during a talent show when I was ten.” I mention.

“I don’t think it is enough.” He bluntly states.

“You mean thinking about my mom is not enough to focus to summon this fireball.” I comment.

“You need bit more emotional status.” He says, “Do it again!”

“What I need to think about either than my mom?” I wonder.

“I don’t know, but you need to do it again!” He replies.

Seeing his dissatisfaction over this round, time to round three; I close my eyes again and thinking that if my mom is not enough to trigger something inside to react; I half to find something that can. Trying not to think about my mom and memories of her, I soon pay attention to Liana. The closest other person I see an emotional impact other than my mother; the only other person who can trust me and have been there by me at times. I start to think about any memories I have for her, but most of them were hangouts until a recent memory. I flashback of today when hours ago, we chatted about the blown up toilet and her grandmother and then when she hugged me, she kissed me.

As I think about the kiss she gave me instead the kiss my mom usually gives me and that brief kiss Megan did. The kiss Liana gave to me is different than any other kiss. As I focus on that kiss, I sort of blurt out her name softly without Mal listening.

Liana

And after that, a sudden urge through my body comes and as I continue to hold on to that moment, I suddenly open my eyes as I just had that feeling that I know this is one. I soon look up to my right arm as I can literally see black vine-like lines coming from my right shoulder to the arm and then to my hand. Suddenly, a fireball of bluish black flames summons. I look to it as I finally did it.

That moment I focused on about Liana, I realized triggered this burst of ferocity from what I just sensed my demon side. For once I was able to control it summoning the fireball. I did it! I glance over at Mal where he squeaks a smirk and looks shocked in the appearance of the fireball.

I look back at hand holding the fireball in my hands and the appearance of it is what I wanted to show him and was not able to gain control of it until now. What just happened is huge in my step to fully control my demonic side.

“You did it, I’m proud of you.” He says.

“Thanks.” I reply.

“So that’s the reason you wanted to show me, was the fact your fireballs is blue and black compare to demons throwing the traditional flame-like fireballs.” He says.

“Yes.” I respond.

He puts his thumb and index finger on his chin look intrigued on what he sees; and he looks back at me and wondering what to do with it. He then glances over at a tree bark in front of him. “Good job with summoning it, now throw it at the tree behind you.”

I turn around to see the medium-sized tree and with the fireball still in my hands, I hear Mal from behind me.

“Now!”

Realizing that was his signal, I position myself as if I was throwing a baseball; and then I throw the fireball right at the tree. In mere seconds, the bluish ball of fire makes a direct hit to the bark with such force it bursts in a tiny explosion where on the bark is a residue of the fireball.

“Great!” He says.

I turn back to see Mall as well congratulating myself knowing I gain control of summoning the fireball and throwing it at something.

“You did great after a couple of times of trying to gain that focus.” He continues, “I don’t want to know what you focused on that gave that momentum, but whatever it was; try it again.”

“Again?!” I say silly.

“Again!” He responds.

Knowing what I thought about, I begin to do it again. I close my eyes and rethink about Liana and that kiss—that meant nothing before, but now it is worth something. As I focus hard enough on that moment, I kind of smirk and then that sudden urge I felt before happens again; I open my eyes to see those black vine-like lines coming through my right arm to my hand.

The fireball summons yet again; Mal sees me and yells, “Throw it!” I turn back around to see the tree I just fired upon and decide that is the one again. I throw the fireball with velocity where it hits the same spot the last one landed. It explodes at the same spot. I give off a happy smirk. I turn back to see Mal.

“Do it again?” I ask him. He looks a bit stun and is bit impressed that I’m taking this likely. “You’re doing great kid. Don’t screw up.”

Without telling me, I did not have to close my eyes where I know what I need to focus on and when I hold on to that moment, the fireball summons yet again but much faster. It seems focusing on that moment is helping me control my demonic side to where I summon this fireball. As I grab on to the third fireball, I turn back to the tree I’m using as a dummy and I throw at the same spot with the same result. I turn back to see Mal where he is almost showing a smile. In his gloomy expressions, he rarely does this. If he smiles, I know I’m doing a great job and he likes it.

“Do it again?” I ask him. He puts his head down a bit and then looks back up towards me to where he responds, “You’re getting the hang of it, but don’t get too attached with it.”

“Why?” I question him.

“Because you need something to raise caution and preparedness.” He replies.

And as I think about what he says, my attention got cut off to where out of nowhere a boulder coming towards me.  I panic too quickly and, I raise out my right arm and I summon another fireball this time aiming right at the boulder, but when I throw it; the fireball hits the boulder but the explosion knocks me off to the ground where pieces of the rock hits me and to the ground. I see Mal walking towards me reaching out his hand to bring me up to my feet.

“Good shot the first time, but lack execution.” He says.

“Really?!” I reply.

“You need a bit more practice in that. Sorry Caden but you need to feel that caution.” He continues. “You never know, Asmodeus, Mammon, or any other demonic hellion will find a way to attack you from anywhere.”

“In your words, just be ready.” I state.

“Precisely.” He says.

Leaning on to that advice, I begin to refocus for the next time where I see Mal holding out right arm to where I see another boulder levitating from the ground and, he flies it towards me. I see it coming and then focusing on that moment, I quickly stand out my right hand where I summon the fireball and it fires right in the path of the boulder. In mid air, the fireball reaches to the boulder where it explodes. Mal looking impressed begins this time in throwing two boulders from opposite sides heading towards me. I feel that sensation after focusing on what I need to, and, I quickly fires one fireball to the boulder on my left and then swiftly fire another at the other boulder from my right. Both explode in mid air just seconds apart.

Mal looks at me very impressed seeing I’m not fully there, but gaining control over that demonic side of mines is coming. Mal then reaches both his arms out and he starts flickering not one, not two, not even three, but four boulders. Reacting swiftly, I begin to summon and blast one fireball to the boulders that is coming after me.

With all of them being destroyed, Mal continues to throw more boulders. Thinking he wants to put me under pressure, I continue throwing fireballs to the boulders. However, after every boulder is destroyed which for me is great, Mal suddenly disappears. And then, I suddenly feel a huge punch to the face from my left side. I fall to ground to where I try to regain my feet. I then see it was Mal who threw a punch.

“What you did that for?”

“Demons especially those being led by Asmodeus will be smarter. They will adapt to you using your powers and will try physically attacking you. You need to be ready.”

I regain my balance and felt my left cheek still hurt it bit.

“Don’t be a fool Caden; they will be much more physical than what I did.”

“So this training is much more than controlling my powers.”

“It’s your survival.”

I listen to that remark about survival and start to think about the reasons much more focused instead of being cynical about it.

“So Caden, are you ready?” He continues to ask, “Are you ready to continue?”

I look back to Mal and after a brief hesitation, I give him my reply.

“I’m ready!”

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

100K 3K 53
An AU where Espresso was raised with the Cookies Of Darkness. Since he was merely a child, Espresso's one and only desire was to prove his worth to D...
2.3K 81 20
Arianna has had the same routine sense the death of her mother. Wake up and have coffee with her dad, go to Starbucks with her best friend Kit, go to...
862 25 24
Earth was thriving in the year 3180. The discovery of magic changed the way of the world. As the research of magic continued, people found that they...
Hades Von sarah

Jugendliteratur

156K 4.1K 34
They say gut feelings are your guardian angels, Ella Thomas will soon find out that hers was leading her to something she could never imagine existed...