Single Father • Namjoon + BTS...

De xgoldenxmaknaex

Namjoon picked up Taehyung, who started- "Um, babe? I think he's growling at me. Is that supposed to happen... Mais

Preview
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
xxv.
xxvi.
<<Q&A<<
Tags
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
>>Q&A NAMJOON>>
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.
xxxv.
>>Q&A NAMJOON'S WIFE>>
xxxvi.
xxxvii.
xxxviii.
xxxix.
xl.
>>Q&A JIN>>
xli.
xlii.
xliii.
xliv.
xlv.
>>Q&A YOONGI>>
xlvi.
xlvii.
xlviii.
xlix.
l.
>>Q&A HOBI>>
li.
lii.
liii.
liv.
lv.
>>Q&A JIMIN>>
lvi.
lvii.
lviii.
lix.
lx.
>>Q&A TAEHYUNG>>
lxi.
lxii.
lxiii.
lxiv.
lxv.
>>Q&A JUNGKOOK>>
lxvi.
lxvii.
lxviii.
lxix.
lxx.
>>Q&A MISC>>
lxxi.
lxxii.
lxxiii.
lxxiv.
lxxv.
>>Q&A AUTHOR>>
lxxvi.
lxxvii.
lxxviii.
lxxix.
lxxx.
EXTRA: LISA
lxxxi.
lxxxii.
lxxxiii.
lxxxiv.
lxxxv.
EXTRA: JIMIN?
lxxxvi.
lxxxvii.
A/N
lxxxviii.
lxxxix.
A/N
xc.
EXTRA: YUGYEOM AND BAMBAM
xci.
xcii.
xciii.
xciv.
xcv.
EXTRA: THE PRINCIPAL
xcvi.
xcvii.
xcviii.
xcix.
c.
A/N
ci.
cii.
ciii.
civ.
cv.
EXTRA: ROMAN NUMERALS
cvi.
cvii.
cviii.
cix.
cx.
EXTRA: LISA
cxi.
cxii.
cxiii.
cxiv.
cxv.
cxvi.
cxvii.
cxviii.
cxix.
cxx.
cxxi.
EXTRA: TAEHYUNG
cxxii.
cxxiii.
cxxiv.
<<Q&A<<
cxxv.
EXTRA: TAEHYUNG
cxxvi.
cxxvii.
cxxviii.
cxxix.
cxxx.
cxxxi.
cxxxii.
cxxxiii.
cxxxiv.
A/N: END
cxxxv.
cxxxvi.
cxxxvii.
cxxxviii.
cxxxix.
cxl.
cxli.
EXTRA: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
cxlii.
cxliii.
cxliv.
cxlv.
cxlvi.
cxlvii.
cxlviii.
cxlix.
Epilogue
Family Trees & Characters
TRANSLATIONS
FAN ART
>>Q&A>>
EXIT GUIDE
REDBUBBLE
SEQUEL
EXTRAS

cl.

38.3K 2.5K 7.3K
De xgoldenxmaknaex

warning: explicit language

"Sorry, I got held up for a minute with someone," she said, entering the room slightly out of breath, purse hanging off her shoulder. "How are you feeling, Jungkook?"

"Like I broke my arm in the most idiotic way possible," Jungkook said, pouting slightly and looking down, and Jimin smiled, looking over at the latest visitor.

"Hi Mom," he said, grinning. Namjoon had been scheduled last-minute for the late shift, and when Jungkook had had his small accident (or, as one might say, a slip-up), Yoongi had instructed Jimin to call the next best person.

"Hi sweetie," she said breathlessly, shutting the door behind herself before going over to Jimin and pressing her lips gently against the crown of his head, rubbing a hand up and down his arm. Jungkook frowned, but Jimin just smiled, his eyes crinkling at the edges. She looked over at Jungkook and hesitated, sensing the invisible boundary he'd put up around himself and his heart. "The doctor recommends that you stay overnight since it's so late. And since Namjoon is working overnight..." she said before hurrying on. "Of course, you're welcome to come home with me and Jimin and spend the night at our house-"

"I'm good here," Jungkook said, and she bit her lip, before nodding, accepting Jungkook's wishes.

"Whatever makes you most comfortable," she said. She'd tried multiple times to reach out to her other children, but she knew that she risked pushing them farther away. She didn't want to pressure them or overwhelm them. They'd accept her on their own terms when they were ready, or they wouldn't. She would always give them the chance, but she would never force them to take it.

Jungkook nodded to himself, but it was Jimin's hand tugging at his shoulder - the shoulder connected to his good arm - that made him look up.

"P-Please?" Jimin asked, his eyes wide. "Everyone else is going to be s-sleeping at Dad's house after the d-dance."

Jungkook was silent for a moment.

"You don't want me to be lonely, d-do you?" Jimin tried, and Jungkook groaned as Jimin went on. "I'll be all by m-myself. Alone. Just me."

"Fine fine fine fine fine fine fine," Jungkook said, rolling his eyes. He wanted to cross his arms, but the action was a bit impossible at the moment. "This doesn't mean that I-" Jungkook cut himself, sending a quick glance at their mom, who was choosing to remain quiet on the matter.

"-that you love me the m-most or that I'm your favorite b-brother, but it's okay, I already know," Jimin finished for him, nodding firmly, and Jungkook just sputtered before giving in.

"Well, I'll go talk with the nurse and let her know that we're checking out early," their mom said, turning slightly toward the door and angling herself so she didn't have her back turned to them. "I'm sorry that you two had to miss the dance," she added sympathetically, and Jungkook just pursed his lips.

"I don't know. You saw the way that one nurse was looking at me, right?" he prompted Jimin.

Jimin just rolled his eyes and pushed their mom toward the door. "The sooner we get h-him home, the sooner he'll shut up."

She smiled and nodded, taking that as her cue to leave, and the room fell quiet.

"Home," Jungkook said, and Jimin blinked, looking over at him.

"Huh?"

"You called it home. Her house. You called it home." Jungkook stared at Jimin. "Is it your home?"

Jimin frowned, his eyes skirting along the edge of the bed, tracing the lines of the mattress and avoiding Jungkook's eyes. "It j-just slipped out, Kookie-"

"Is it your home?"

Jimin looked up at Jungkook. A lock of hair fell across his forehead, but Jimin didn't push it out of the way, just left it hanging there, obscuring a small portion of his vision. "I live there, K-Kookie. I sleep there. I have a b-bed there." He took a deep breath. "Mom is there."

"Dad isn't there," Jungkook said immediately. "It's like you guys have forgotten that he raised you, like you've forgotten all the sacrifices he's made and-"

"I didn't f-forget," Jimin said quietly, his eyes narrowed, brows furrowed unhappily. "It's just, the way the world is, you have t-to adapt to survive. I got tired of b-being miserable every day."

Jungkook really wanted to cross his arms now.

"Just because I care about M-Mom doesn't mean that I d-don't love Dad too," Jimin said, and Jungkook's lips twitched.

That's exactly what it seemed like to him. "It's a choice, isn't it? One or the other. Mom or Dad. There's always a choice. Leave our family, or stay and be our mom."

"Forget our family, or t-try to be part of it again," Jimin said, his voice soft in the room. The acoustics of his room deadened the sound of his voice, stopping the resonance of the pitches. There was no echo, only the statement itself, and then the words were gone, lost as sound waves into the walls, unable to be taken back or found again.

"What did she do to you?" Jungkook asked, his eyes narrowed in a glare. "What did she do to make you this way? To change you? You used to hate her too. And now you're best buds, like you've forgotten everything she did."

"Hatred makes the h-heart heavy," Jimin replied simply. "It's a chain that y-you can't take off. You can only unlock it with f-forgiveness."

"No!" Jungkook shouted abruptly. "I'm not going to forgive her! Not now, not ever! I'm never going to love her!"

Jimin paused before giving Jungkook a hug, and Jungkook stilled, not having expected the action in response to his harsh words.

"Hatred is a ch-choice," Jimin said. "Love is a choice. That's what you have to choose, only it's n-not only about her, it's about y-you, too. You're hurting yourself, Kookie." Jimin ruffled Jungkook's hair slowly.

"But I don't need a mom," Jungkook growled. "I grew up without one just fine. I don't need a mom now."

"But she needs y-you."

At that moment, the door opened, and their mom poked her head in with a small smile. "Okay, we're all ready to go. Jungkook, be careful with your arm, okay? Try not to hit the cast."

Jimin just nodded, standing up, not even looking at Jungkook because while he wanted Jungkook to dissolve the hatred in his heart, it was Jungkook's choice, not his.

***

She parked the car and opened the door on Jungkook's side. "Do you want any pain medication?" she asked as he stepped out. "I don't have anything prescription, but there's some over-the-counter pills in the cabinet if it still hurts."

"No thanks," Jungkook said, mainly because he considered himself too tough to have to rely on pain medication, as his arm actually did still hurt quite a bit.

"He's j-just being stubborn," Jimin said, coming around the other side of the car.

"I'm fine," Jungkook insisted.

"Whatever, your arm," Jimin replied, scanning the driveway before looking back at Jungkook with a smile. "We've got the house t-to ourselves."

"Come on in boys," their mother called from the doorstep, and Jimin hurried over, Jungkook trailing behind and trying to figure out why he'd agreed in the first place.

"Can I text T-Tae and invite him over too?" Jimin asked anxiously, and she smiled at Jimin, patting his back as he entered the house.

"Of course. I'd be happy to pick him up from the dance if you want to help Jungkook find some pajamas that will fit him. Yours might be a little small, but maybe try Hoseok's?" She picked her car keys up from the counter. "I'll go pick up Taehyung. Remember to lock the door after I go, okay? Just to be safe."

"Okay okay," Jimin said with a small chuckle as he texted Taehyung. He looked up several moments later. "Tae said it was good with him. He's g-going to let Jin know since Jin drove them to the d-dance."

"Perfect," she said. "All the triplets will finally be together for once," she said, and Jungkook saw a sad look come into her eyes before it disappeared. "I'll be back in twenty minutes, okay?"

"Bye Mom," Jimin called out, waiting for her to leave before locking the door. He turned to Jungkook, who was unusually quiet for his maknae self. "Let's go f-find you some clothes."

***

"So," their mom began, turning down the radio. The car windows were open, and soft noise poured in from the outside; crickets, wind blowing past the car, the dull hum of electricity. "How was the dance?"

Taehyung shrugged in the passenger seat. He'd never been alone with his mom before. The feeling was...strange. "It was all right. I think I was supposed to have a date - Jungkook made me pick one - but I never bothered to find her."

She smiled, her fingers tapping the steering wheel. "You've all grown up so quickly."

Because you missed the part where we grew up, Tae thought to himself but kept quiet.

"Even Yoongi had a date. Or at least, he told me he was going to ask a girl."

Tae looked over at her with wide eyes. "Hyung told you that?"

She chuckled. "I know, it's hard to believe, but don't tell him I told you, okay?"

Tae mumbled an agreement before looking out his window into the night.

Even Yoongi-hyung is that close to her?

Is he really stupid like Jungkook thought?

Or is he maybe...is Yoongi maybe right?

Tae had always looked up to Yoongi and found it hard to believe that Yoongi was mistaken, as Yoongi had always had a good sense of judgement about people.

Tae sent a discreet glance towards their mother. He wondered what Yoongi saw when he looked at her.

He wondered if he was seeing the same thing.

***

"Jimin? Jungkook?" their mom called out after she'd unlocked the door, Taehyung following behind her.

"In here," came Jimin's shout from their bedroom. She opened the door to find Jungkook wearing pajama pants that fell about ten centimeters short of his ankles.

"Did Hoseok's not fit?" she asked, trying not to smile at the bizarre sight, and Jungkook made a sour face.

"All of his pajamas have weird designs on them," Jungkook grumbled.

Jimin and their mom laughed, picturing Hobi's monkey pajamas in vivid detail.

The slamming of the front door echoed throughout the house, cutting off their laughter, and their mom stiffened before smiling. "Your step-dad is home. I'm going to go have a talk with him, all right? I'll put something on the stove for you boys to eat while I'm at it," she said before leaving the room.

Jimin's eyes followed her with concern. After a moment, he got up.

"You two stay here, okay? And d-don't let Toaster out," Jimin said, eyes still on the ajar door before he slipped through, shutting it behind him.

There was a long moment of silence.

"So. What'd the doctor say when you told him how you broke your arm?" Tae asked with a grin, and Jungkook glared at him.

"It could have happened to anyone," Jungkook insisted, and they argued back and forth for several minutes about the odds of slipping on shampoo until the raised voices from outside the door interrupted them.

"...a call about a hospital bill that I never authorized!" A man's voice. Maybe from the kitchen.

"Jungkook broke his arm! What was I supposed to do, put a band aid on it? He needed to go to the hospital!" Their mother.

"He's not one of them!"

Jungkook lowered his head. "Maybe we shouldn't be listening to this, Tae," he began, but Tae was already creeping towards the door, opening it silently and leaving it open just a crack so they could hear better.

"I'm not responsible for him! It's bad enough that your kids are always ending up in the hospital. Do you know how expensive that is? Of course you don't, it's not your money that you're spending, it's mine."

"Hoseok collapsed in school, and Yoongi had a seizure. They needed to see a doctor. They were emergencies-"

"Only because all of your kids are messed up!"

Tae sucked in a slight breath.

"You told me that we should take them in. You were the one who wanted them, and all they've brought us is trouble! Constantly causing problems at school, creating enormous medical bills, behaving improperly at business social events!"

"They're kids, dear, not adults, you can't expect them to-"

"I expect them to do exactly as I want them to! It's my roof over their heads, and it's my money that they're draining!"

The sound of footsteps.

"M-Mom, are you ok-kay?" Jimin's voice, as though he'd just entered the room.

"And this kid! He's an absolutely pathetic excuse of a son!"

Tae felt his hands clenching into fists, and Jungkook scowled. Despite their anger, they couldn't stop the fear from rising up in their stomachs, accompanied by the troublesome thought, Is it always like this for them here?

"I pay for speech lessons to fix him, but you tell him that he can stop going, and look how he turned out. Still as messed-up as the others. Not to mention this-"

"Ow!" Jimin's voice crying out. "L-Let go of my h-hair!"

Tae eased the door open a little wider, and he slipped through the door. Jungkook hesitated before following him, and they tip-toed to the kitchen, making sure to stay hidden behind a wall so nobody would see them, but so they could see what was going on.

Three backs were to them - their mother's, their step-father's, and Jimin's, his hair being yanked by their step-father.

"A disgrace," their step-father snapped, his voice louder now that the triplets were close. "Absolutely shameful. I take you in, give you food, clothing, pay for your education, your tutoring, your therapy, and you go out of your way to humiliate me."

Jimin glared back at him.

"This little-" their step-father began, raising a hand, but their mom grabbed his arm with both of her hands.

"Please, please don't, he's sorry, okay, just don't touch him-"

"Nothing about this sorry bitch son of yours is sorry! I ought to teach him some gratitude!" he yelled, pushing her aside so her back hit the wall, and he brought his arm back to slap Jimin, but once more, she grabbed his arm.

"Don't you dare lay a finger on my son!"

"Get off me, bitch!" He swept his arm, knocking her into the counter top, and she gasped as the air was forcibly expelled out of her lungs.

It was at this moment that, having shifted slightly, Jimin caught sight of Taehyung and Jungkook crouched behind the wall, their eyes wide with fear.

And Jimin knew what he had to do.

He whipped his head back and forth, gritting his teeth against the pain in his scalp before breaking free of his step-father's grip.

"Get Mom out of here!" Jimin yelled at the shadows behind the wall, and there was a moment of hesitance before Taehyung shot forward. He got a hand behind their mom's back and slipped a hand under her knees, as she'd slid down and collapsed onto the floor. He picked her up bridal style and quickly carried her out of the kitchen and into their bedroom, laying her down on Yoongi's bed.

Jungkook stayed where he was, jaw clenched. He'd wanted to carry her, but with his arm...

"What are you trying to do, piss me off?" their step-father yelled at Jimin. "You're a coward all your life and you pick tonight to change that?" he growled.

"The coward is the one who h-hits women," Jimin replied, his eyes cold with raw fury, and Jungkook found that even if he wanted to move, he couldn't. He was frozen in place, out of fear, out of something else - the not knowing. He'd never seen that look in Jimin's eyes, had never seen their step-father for more than ten minutes at a time, had never seen their mother put herself in harm's way to protect them.

I need to help Jimin, Jungkook told himself, trying to force his body to move, but a sharp glance from Jimin told him to stay still.

"You're going to tell me how to run my house?" their step-father asked, his voice rough. "You're not even my son. You're a dirty half-breed of hers."

Jimin didn't even flinch, but Jungkook became aware all of a sudden of a different look in Jimin's eyes. Behind the rage, fear.

Jimin was terrified.

Both parties in the kitchen were still for a moment before their step-father swiped out with a fist, but Jimin ducked just in time.

"Aren't your supposed to obey your parents?" their step-father asked tauntingly. "Isn't that what God tells you to do? And what's that other bit, spare the rod and spoil the child? I think you've gotten a bit too spoiled, hmm?"

Jimin bared his teeth. "I don't think t-twisting God to your side works like that."

"How about I send you to Heaven and you can ask him yourself?" their step-father suggested, taking a step toward Jimin, who took a step back but only realized his mistake a second late.

He'd given their step-father access to the kitchen knives.

Their step-father eyed them for a second before exhaling deeply, massaging his temples with his fingers as though he'd realized how angry he'd gotten and was making an attempt to control himself. "Go to your room. We'll deal with this tomorrow."

Jimin let out a short breath of relief, but then they heard it.

A soft meow.

And just like that, the tension escalated.

"What. Is. That?" Their step-father has not moved a step, but his eyes shot to Jimin's before scanning the room.

Jimin remained silent.

Jungkook felt goosebumps on his arms as something furry brushed past him.

Toaster, having escaped from the bedroom, was making a beeline for her owner, Jimin.

She curled around Jimin's ankle, purring and nestling her head against his foot, but Jimin remained absolutely still.

"Where did that thing come from?" came their step-father's quiet reply. Too quiet. Scary quiet. "I don't believe it was included in the custody battle. In fact, I thought I specifically told that bitch that I would not allow any sort of pet."

Jimin clenched his jaw. "She was going to d-die if we didn't-"

"I DIDN'T ASK YOU WHAT WAS GOING ON IN YOUR STUPID LITTLE BRAIN TO MAKE YOU BRING THAT THING INTO OUR HOME!"

Jungkook darted out from behind the wall to grab Toaster in his hands, one arm held stiff in a cast, before bringing Toaster, held in his arms close to his chest, back to the bedroom. He paused, slightly out of breath.

Tae was sitting on the bed, holding their mom's hand and talking in low tones. He looked up at Jungkook with fear-stricken eyes. "I think she cracked a rib, Jungkook, it's...it's bad, she's in a lot of pain, we need to-"

"WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN YOU IN!" came a yell from the other room, accompanied by the sound of shattering glass.

"Shit," Tae whispered. He met Jungkook's eyes. Both of them were terrified and completely out of their league, and with Jungkook in a cast...it was looking pretty grim.

"You call Dad," Tae said, getting up from the bed and reluctantly letting go of their mom's hand. "I'm going to help get Jimin out of their safely. Get ready to lock the door after we get through, okay?" He paused, suddenly glancing at the window, the very window he'd used to sneak into their room on one prior occasion. "Mom, do you think you could make it out the window?"

A small moan from the bed, accompanied by a pain-laden nod.

"Jungkook? With your arm?" Tae asked uncertainly. He'd always been the protector out of the three of them, making sure no harm came to them, but this...he wasn't prepared to handle this. They'd been fighting against kids, not grown adults. They were matched unevenly. It was unfair.

"I'll manage," Jungkook said, wanting to appear tough, but like Tae, he felt young and naive and completely in over his head.

"The car...keys...keys," Tae mumbled. "Shit. They're in the kitchen. Hurry, call Dad, we need someone to get us out of here fast."

Jungkook fumbled with his phone, finding it difficult to dial like he normally would with one hand held stiff at unnatural angle. He dialed just as Tae slipped out the door. "Dad? Dad? Pick up, pick up, pick up..."

"Hello? Jungkook? Is that you?"

Jungkook almost cried in relief. "Yes, Dad, it's me, it's an emergency, I-"

"Slow down, Kookie. You said there's an emergency?"

"Yeah, we're at Mom's house, he's going crazy, Dad-"

"Who's going crazy?"

"Her husband, the business guy, he's shouting and screaming and he hurt Mom and I'm scared he'll hurt us too and I'm scared, Dad, I'm really scared, I need you to come, please, Dad, I know you're at work and I'm really sorry to disturb you at your job," Jungkook rushed out, feeling his eyes tearing up, "but please, I'm scared, I think he's going to kill us-"

"Lock the door, wherever you are," Namjoon instructed from the other side of the phone, sounding strong and confident to Jungkook but only because he knew he needed to sound that way. In truth, his heart was racing, and he was just as terrified as his sons, perhaps moreso because he wasn't there. He was helpless. "Barricade the door with furniture, whatever you can. Stay away from any windows. Call the police, okay, Jungkook? I promise I'll do my best but I need you to stay safe in the meantime, okay? Promise me that you'll be safe, okay?"

Sobbing from the other end of the phone. "I can't promise you that, Dad, because Jimin and Tae are on the other side of the door!"

Namjoon felt his heart stop for a beat or two. His worst nightmare...and forcing his son to choose between saving himself and risking all of their lives? "Hang up, call the police," Namjoon instructed. "I'll be there as soon as I can." He bit his lip. "Jungkook, can you-"

Beeping from the other end.

Jungkook stared down at his phone in horror. The screen had gone black. The battery had run out.

He couldn't call the police. He couldn't call anyone.

***

Namjoon stared down at the phone, his eyes wide. From the store he worked at, it would be half an hour drive to get there, twenty minutes if he drove like his sons' lives were on the line.

Twenty minutes was a long time.

But he knew someone who was only fifteen minutes from them, someone who could drive faster than he could, someone who could make it there in five minutes, and even though Namjoon wanted to be the one to save his children, he knew that the decision didn't come down to pride. It came down to who was the best suited for the job and, in all truth, there was only one person he could think of, only one person he trusted with his sons' lives.

He picked up the phone and started dialing.

***

  "WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN YOU IN!" their step-father yelled, swiping for Jimin again and knocking a bottle off the counter. It fell to the ground and shattered, liquid seeping over the kitchen tiles, glass shards tilted up with sinister edges smiling toward the ceiling. The stove was starting to sizzle, having been left on too long, and the water in the pan was boiling, hissing, and spitting.

Their step-father paused before drawing a kitchen knife out of the knife block, glaring at Jimin. "Would have been better if you'd never been born," he said, adjusting the knife in his grip.

Jimin just stared straight ahead. "Not the first t-time I've been told that," he said. He was doing his best to stall, hoping his brothers would get out safely with their mom (and hopefully Toaster). He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do by himself in a small kitchen with a man holding a knife, but he'd figure it out later. For now, he needed to create time.

He needed to provoke their step-father and keep his attention centered on Jimin.

It wasn't that Jimin wasn't scared. He was, to a degree. But either his life had desensitized him, or the adrenaline of the situation was in control, because he felt strong, confident, powerful. Maybe it was because he knew that there were people depending on him. Maybe it was because he didn't have to walk on eggshells anymore. Before, he'd done his best to be invisible to create an easier tomorrow, to not cause conflict for the future.

But he knew that after tonight, there would be no future for the two of them. Either their step-father disappeared...

...or Jimin disappeared.

And Jimin, surprisingly to even himself, didn't want to disappear.

A lunge with the knife.

Jimin kicked back, avoiding the brunt of the blow, but his shirt was sliced open down the front, a long but shallow gash trailing from his right collarbone to his left hip bone. He bit his lip. He'd been bullied at school. He knew the language of pain, the call and response. Pain always demanded a response. And the bullies who knew the language of pain craved that response, salivated over that response, because it fed into their power, into their superiority. It made them think that they were stronger, better, more deserving.

Jimin hated giving a response.

"Don't you play games with me," their step-father spat, swiping wide with the knife, an easy blow for Jimin to miss as he took another step back, clenching his jaw and wincing as he felt glass shards biting into the soft soles of his feet.

But the pain is good, Jimin reasoned to himself. It sharpens my focus. I need to focus. I need to think. I need to...

What Jimin needed was help.

"Jimin," Tae said, hurrying over toward the kitchen from the bedroom, and Jimin made the mistake of taking his eyes off their step-father and looking over at Tae. "Jimin, we need to-"

Jimin screamed as he felt scalding hot water rip at his skin, searing his flesh. While he'd turned, their step-father had grabbed the handle of the pan on the stove and had flung the contents toward Jimin. His chest, already covered in blood, was now an angry red, and the side of his face closer to their step-father had also been affected. He squeezed his right eye shut, trying to block out the pain.

The pain is good, it sharpens my focus, I need to focus, I need-

IT HURTS!

"Oh my G-" Tae began before cutting himself off and yanking Jimin towards himself as their step-father tried to stab Jimin again. But with every step that Jimin took, the glass in his feet dug in deeper and deeper, and the pain was no longer sharpening his focus but instead dominating his mind and ripping his control away.

"Is J-Jungkook s-safe?" Jimin bit out, still keeping one eye shut, trying to focus on clearing his vision and stopping everything from tilting sideways.

"Yeah," Tae said shortly, eyes on their step-father who had gone unnaturally still.

"And Mom?" Jimin asked, succeeding in making the counter in his vision hold steady.

"Yeah," Tae said. They weren't necessarily true facts, but he needed to give Jimin something to stop him from doing anything stupid and getting further injured.

"G-Good," Jimin said, pulling himself up taller, wincing as the glass dug in, but the pain was starting to fade away now, becoming background noise. Jimin didn't think that was a good sign, but he didn't care, as long as it meant he was able to move again. He slipped his arm out of Tae's, standing in front of his brother.

"Jimin, stop being stupid, you're going to get yourself killed," Tae hissed, even as his eyes watered. This was fear. This was real fear. Fear he hadn't felt since he was four years old and there had been an empty bed in their house for the first time in his life.

He was afraid of losing his brother all over again.

Only this time, permanently.

"Let me protect you," Tae said, trying to pull Jimin behind him, but Jimin didn't budge.

"You've done that all my l-life," Jimin said, his back to Tae. "It's my turn to p-protect you and Kookie and Mom."

Tae wanted to say that he was strong, that he would do it, that he would shoulder the burden, that he was ready to step up and face the man in the other room, but he found his knees shaking, his hands clenching - not in fists meant for punching, but in fists meant for supplication.

He was ashamed of his weakness, and worse than that, he was ashamed at the relief he felt in being able to hide behind Jimin's unwavering back.

"Mistakes. All of you miserable creatures, mistakes," the man in the kitchen ranted. Whatever semblance of sanity he'd carried earlier was gone, revealing the cracked and distorted interior of the man within the shell of sleek poise. Gone was the businessman. Gone was the communicator. All that remained was the core of pent-up rage and frustration, towards the Kim siblings, towards their mother, towards the business world that had never favored him despite having poured his very soul into it. "You should all go back to where you damn creatures came from," he snarled, lunging for the with the knife just as the door was kicked open from the outside.

"Stop! Drop the weapon and put your hands behind your head!" yelled a voice from the entrance.

"Lisa," Tae murmured, feeling his legs about to give out. He'd barely done anything, and he felt completely drained.

Lisa had her gun up, the sights trained on their step-father, and although her voice was strong and unwavering, there was no denying to herself or anyone present that she wasn't affected. She'd never been more terrified of screwing something up than in this moment, when Namjoon's kids - kids who felt like her kids - were seconds away from being ripped from this world.

But when he didn't drop the knife and instead kept charging forward toward the two boys who felt like her own, Lisa didn't hesitate to pull the trigger, and it was one of the only shots she'd ever taken in her career that she felt absolutely no remorse or guilt over. It was a shot she would have taken again and again, and the only reason memories from that moment kept her up for future nights was because she was always catching herself wondering what if.

What if she had missed?

What if she had accidentally hit one of the boys?

What if one bullet hadn't been enough?

But she hadn't, and she didn't, and it had been, and that's how she eventually lulled herself into a restless sleep.

***

"Can we apply for any sort of VIP status here?" Yoongi asked, propping a leg up on the chair and sizing up the room. "I feel like we're frequent enough members. May as well get our money out of it."

"This is a hospital, Yoongi," Lisa stressed, giving him a look, and he just shrugged. She pretended to be exasperated, but truth was, she was glad that he was making jokes. She could see how shaken up he was in that the leg he'd kicked up was shaking and he was keeping his hands clasped in his lap to stop them from shaking as well, but him being able to find humor in the situation was comforting in a strange way.

"And once again, I've been gypped out of my ambulance ride," Hobi said with a sigh, directing a glare toward the three guilty members.

Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook were all laying in three thin side-by-side hospital beds; Jimin, for his injuries; Taehyung, for shock; Jungkook, for re-injuring his arm when he'd gotten himself and his mother out the window.

It would only come out later that he'd carried her on his back.

Jimin was still unconscious, but he was in a stable condition. His feet had been picked clean of the glass, cleaned, and bandaged; his burns had been treated accordingly; and the shallow cut on his chest had been bandaged and layered with gauze pads in case it re-opened and began bleeding again.

"You know, when Jimin said he would be my hero, I thought it was funny," Jungkook said softly, and all eyes in the room landed on him. "It isn't funny anymore."

"I'm just happy you guys are okay," Jin said, ruffling Jungkook's hair.

The siblings all laughed, held together in a tight bond that was partial pain, partial love, and something else - something that Namjoon was only starting to see, something that Namjoon knew wouldn't have been possible without a certain someone.

Healing.

The scars that had crossed their hearts for years, scars that had torn away their childhoods, forced them to grow up far too quickly - they were starting to fade. Maybe it was due to the passage of time.

Or maybe because there had been someone who had loved them enough to treat the scars, the scars she herself had created.

"That's right, where is Mom?" Yoongi asked once they'd quieted down.

Namjoon shifted uncomfortably, sending a distressed glance to Lisa, but her sad eyes were of little help to him. "Your mom is..."

epilogue to come so don't freak out

or freak out, do whatever you please i guess

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.1M 43.5K 31
"I killed my entire family. Imagine what I could do to you." What scared me the most was how calmly he spoke as he continued to blow smoke out from...
255K 13.4K 62
The Kim's hire you to be their 'nanny' but things take a turn and suddenly your world is turned upside down. Guns, drugs and sex often make things a...
168K 6.5K 34
Jungkook was still in high school when his girlfriend told him the news. How will he raise this child on his own? Who will even be there to support h...
140K 5.3K 24
[Completed] Taehyung's long term trauma has never ceased to an end when his parents had both died in tragedy. Constantly hidden from the world,Taehyu...