DID YOU EVER(arranged marriag...

By littlemissmylls

*****REWRITTEN****** Meet Anthony Ferdinand Ramirez,a business tycoon and a man with the weight of a thriving... More

FLASHBACK
CHAPTER l
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER * 3
CHAPTER * 4
CHAPTER *5
CHAPTER *6
CHAPTER * 7
Chapter 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
IMPORTANT
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 10

21.6K 703 88
By littlemissmylls

A few days after

There was a knock on my door and my eyes snapped awake. My brows arched in confusion as the former soft knocks became louder.

I reached for my phone and checked the time only to find out that it was 2am in the morning. I sat up and stared at the door, waiting to see if there were more knocks or not.

Looking out the window, the cresent moon was still very high up and shinning as bright as ever with the absence of clouds.

Then just like the knocks became twice as loud and I rushed out of bed.

"Anthony?" I whispered  and I heard a soft yes at the other side.

I twisted the lock and opened the door to see a stressed out man in a t-shirt, sweatpants, messy hair and glasses at the other side of the door.

In his hands were three files, a highlighter and five pens to be specific.

"Is anything wrong? It's 2am in the morning." I grouchily questioned and he looked at me with an sheepish gaze.

"Can I come in?" He asked me and my brows arched in further confusion.

Was I in trouble of some sort??

"Sure" I replied and gave him way in.

Closing the door, I watched as he slowly walked in and ran his hands through his hair in a very messy manner.

"Want me to make you coffee or something?" I asked him standing with my back against the door.

" I'd really appreciate that." He murmured but it was audible enough for me to hear.

On a normal circumstances, I'd have grumbled a bit cause there is no way I would want to go all the way downstairs at 2am in the morning but.....he looked so tuckered out and well I asked of he wanted coffee in the first place.

I walked out of the room and I just realized that I didnt even get time to freshen up before he came in. I must have scared him with my morning face.

Heading to the kitchen in this huge house all by myself at 2am was surprisingly calm unlike all those weird horror movies Susan talks about nonstop.

Nevertheless I would still ran up the stairs with that coffee to avoid whatever monster would be on my tail.

Switching on the kitchen lights, I rubbed my eyes as they slowly adjusted and made way to the cabinet where the coffee beans are kept.

Humming to Money Trees by Kendrick Lamar, I yawned tiredly and took a seat on one of the swivel chairs.

There I was all alone in the kitchen trying my best not to look at the windows and let my imagination get carried away by picturing me in some horror scene.

All of a sudden a shiver ran down my back and the drops of water from the tap on the kitchen sink was as loud as ever.

"It's all in your head" I whispered to myself and tapped my finger on the cabinet impatiently. Suddenly I heard footsteps and the hair on my body stood on its end.

"It's in your head, it's in your head" I  mumbled and checked on the coffee machine.

I quickly reached up to grab the coffee mug but then a shadow loomed over the doorway, I screamed and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with shaddered pieces of glass around me.

"Bamb---Melissa!!" I heard Anthony yell only to see him at the doorway.

"Wait becareful" I cautioned him.

I saw him grab a broom and he instructed me to stay right there on the floor. He swept the shards of glass around me and gathered them in a pile. After throwing them out, he helped me get up but to be safe I leaped to the 'safe zone' where I was sure had no shards of glass.

"I sincerely apologize, I did not mean to frighten you" he said and I waved it off with a smile.

"What are you doing here anyway? I was just about to go up with your coffee"

He covered his mouth and let out a yawn then switched off the coffee machine. "I felt terrible for letting you make my coffee especially since it's 18 minutes past 2" he confessed and grabbed a new mug.

"Want some?" He inquired referring to the coffee ahd I shook my head.

"It's alright honestly,I wanted to do that for you. I mean it's not everyday The Anthony Ferdinand Ramirez pops up in my room looking like a grumbling underpaid intern." He chuckled at my remark and I decided to take in milk after all.

He leaned back on the counter after whipping up the coffee the way he likes it and I was sipping on my glass of milk, my eyes fixed on the crescent moon which could be seen through the kitchen window.

"You gonna tell me what's bothering you?" I asked him and I could see a smile on his lips as they touched the mug.

"Nothing's bothering me Melissa" he denied with a coy smile on his face.

"Ugh don't play these games with me it's 2am and we have to go to work on a few hours."

"The building will be cleared out today, no clients will be let in. Just me and my good staff will be in there waiting for those blasted bastards to walk in and act like they own the fucking place. So on that note why don't we play those games a little bit more" he teased and leaned in to brush a hair strand behind my ear. 

I stiffened at his sudden movement and stepped back a bit with an annoyed look on my face.

"Look, you came into my room at 2am looking like shit, told me to make you coffee and now you're just pissing me off by pretending you're fine. What's wrong with you Anthony?!" I demanded the truth and nothing but that.

He suddenly became quiet and the his grip on the mug tightened as he looked straight at the wall in front of him.

"I just don't get it...I just don't get it" I heard him whisper inaudibly and my brows scrunched in confusion.

"Don't get what exactly, Mr Ramirez? If there's something bothering you the best thing to do is to talk to someone you trust about it than to keep it buried inside."

"I...I am perfectly fine Melissa. I sincerely apologize that I bothered you at such an hour. I'll take my leave now " he rambled and faked a smile at me.

With a gulp he finished his coffee and placed it in the sink. After murmuring a word of gratitude he turned his back to leave but I grabbed his arm to stop him only to realize how high his temperature was for some reason.

"Anthony! Are you_"

"No Melissa, I'm alright. I just have an important presentation to prepare for today and I think I strangely got cold feet. Thank you for your time " he sternly said drawing his arm away from me quickly and walked away before I could say anything.

I hurriedly went after him. I spotted him on the middle of the stairs staggering to go upstairs. There was definitely something wrong with him.

Why couldn't he just tell me?! I could've helped or something.

"Anthony wait!" I called and ran up the stairs after him. Getting ahead of him I stretched my hands out and blocked his way. Though it seemed futile cause he was towering over me anyways and I was sure I could be lifted like some sheet of paper and blown away.

"M-Melissa please" he stuttered and I could tell he was growing weaker by how loose his grip on the railing was getting.

"You don't have to shoulder it all on your own, Anthony. Allow me to be your safe space, that's the least I could do for all I've caused you. I'll shoulder the burden with you, so please let me in"

His eyes finally met mine and his gaze softened. "You're something else, Bambi" he whispered and I could tell he was losing balance. My arms quickly went round him and his head fell on my shoulder.

"Alright, I'll confide in you, just for today I'll be myself, my anxious self who's afraid of failing and letting everyone down. My tired self who wants to rest but can't because the workload gets unbearable at times. My confused self who thought I had structured my life right, thought I had everything under control that I was in control....and then you come in and my life is literally thrown off it's plans. What do I do? How do I solve this? I suddenly do not know and that's definitely not me. I have to know, I have to get a solution. That is who I am. A Ramirez, I can not fail"

With his head on my shoulder I could tell he was definitely burning up. "You need a cold shower, some drugs and rest ahead of your day. May I take you up, Anthony? Being on the stairs isn't so convenient " I whispered to him softly and he nodded.

By taking hold of his arm, I helped him walk to his room and helped him lay on the bed.

"I'll go run the bath," I told him and tried to take his words out of my mind for a while by telling myself we'd discuss it further once his temperature is stable.

"The bath is ready, can you umm.." I trailed off not knowing how yo tell him to take off his clothes so I showed the action instead.

"My my Bambi, are you telling me to strip?" He teased with a smirk on his lips. And just like that my body reacted exactly just as he wanted it to, my cheeks flared up and I cleared my throat in an attempt to regain control of my own body

I ignored the fact he had started calling me Bambi again and nodded.

"Why don't you come do it yourself, querida? " He asked and sat up.

"You're joking!" I exclaimed and gave him a bewildered look.

" You said you'll be my safe space" he challenged

"Being a safe space does not require me to strip you!"

"You suggested that I take a bath, so you must take all responsibility for each step in relation to that process "

"What exactly do you want, Anthony?!" I folded my arms and questioned him with an annoyed look.

It kind of reminded me of how angry wifes behave towards their husbands on soap operas

"For you to take responsibility. Take responsibility for what you've done" he mused in a darker tone, his velvety voice sending chills through my body all of a sudden and my voice caught in my throat.

"Fine, but you win only this time just because I'm tired of arguing" I gave in and slowly stepped forward.

He looked a bit surprised that I was actually doing it but that look was soon replaced with an amused smile.

Once I was Infront of him, in between his legs to be precise my eyes met with his and I tried to control my breathing.

"It's just a guy come on, just grab that shirt and rip it off his body then flog him with the shirt to the bath"my thoughts raged but I couldn't bring my hands to do what I just said.

My hands grazed on the hem of his t-shirt but just before I could, he placed his hands on mine. I looked at him realizing how close my position had gotten our faces.

"You don't have to, I was just messing with you" he suddenly whispered and took my hands off slowly. He smiled and rose to his feet.

He staggered a bit but regained composure. " I think I can take it from here, Melissa. You can go rest now" his tone sounded gruff unlike before.

But just before he could walk away from me, I grabbed his arm and he turned back to look at me.

"What did you say earlier on at the stairs? About me throwing your life off balance?" I asked him with a serious look on my face.

"Well I said you've thrown it out of my plans but I guess it's kind of the same thing. Why though?"

"Then let me take responsibility like you said, starting with taking care of this" I affirmed and closed the distance between us.

He didn't protest and even though I was a bit flustered I was set on doing what I intended on.

My hands moved to the hem of his t-shirt and slowly I lifted the shirt off his body and over his head. Only to realize his eyes were staring right into mine, with the rays of the moonlight pouring right into his ocean blue orbs.

Suddenly his hands snaked around my waist bringing us closer and my breath hitched. My hands involuntarily went on his bare chests and I looked at him in surprise.

"Push him away, stop this madness........but then again I've always wondered how it feels like....." My thoughts flared but I couldn't seem to move. It was as though all of time had frozen around us.

His head dipped low to the side of my neck and I closed my eyes not knowing what to expect.

"This is exactly why I had to stop you, all restraint breaks when I'm near you. You're truly something else, Querida. " He whispered in a husky tone.

There were a thousand and one caution signs flaring in my head, warning me to uphold my principles and step away but there I was still in the arms of a man that loved another.

At the sound of that my eyes snapped wide open in realization and I broke away from his hold.

"I'm going to prepare soup so you don't take the drugs on an empty stomach, so please take your time and cool off in the bath" I mumbled with my head lowered shame and guilt. I couldn't believe I had found myself in such a position once again, what was wrong with that man? More importantly what was wrong with me?

Before he could say anything else, I had already raced out of the room. I closed his door behind me and leaned on it, trying to calm myself down.

"How on earth did I find myself in such a situation?" I thought and bumped my head on the door several times.

"I'm so stupid" I thought and tried not to think of what would have happened if I didn't pull back from him.

He shouldn't have done that, he should have held back, he's in a relationship for crying out loud, open relationship or not I felt really bad.

But then again..... wasn't his commitment to me more valid than that of his girlfriend's?

I mean at the end of the day, I wear the ring, I have his name, I live in his house. So why am I so worried over a woman who he's not supposed to be with in the first place?

Nothing was making sense but I definitely wasn't going to waste the few hours I had left to sleep on that.

                             *

Anthony was up and running by the time we had to make way to the office. He even wore a more impressive suit and he looked more serious than I had ever seen him.

He had thanked me earlier on but didn't apologize for the slip up that happened.

"Maybe he doesn't regret it" my subconsciousness flared and I waved that thought away.

After his shower, his meal and meds I decided to sleep on his couch just to keep an eye on him and after threatening to burn the collection of Iron Man comics I discovered that same night in his closet he quickly gave in.

I did ask him if I could go through the files for his presentation and the first thing that caught my eye was the company this whole thing was associated with. 

'Endeavour Motors' that name screamed Chase McBrigde all over it.

"Finally I get to meet you, Mr McBrigde "I thought.

The office just as Anthony had told me was closed off to clients. Everyone seemed to be on edge and I was puzzled by it till Anthony told me of an incident that occurred years ago between his father and Chase's where Chase's father felt insulted by some of the staff and made it a stipulation that a number of employees are fired and in return he'd accept the deal.

It sounded pretty heartless but the McBrigde name isn't popular for nothing.

Mrs Potter met us in the hallway and she started rambling sons information I was trying hard to listen. "Dear, here" she said and gave me a file,"I know it seems a little scary but you'll be fine once you go in_" she turned to me and said

"She's not coming!" Anthony suddenly snapped and we quickly turned to him in surprise.

"W-What do you mean?!" I exclaimed

"She's the CEO as well now and she has to be present at all meetings in regards to finances and upkeep of the company. " Mrs Potter chipped in.

"CEO, ey?" He suddenly turned to me with a cold look and I suddenly remembered the conversation we had the first time I came here about how my dad had literally sold the company off with me in it as well.

"What do you mean by that, Anthony?!" Mrs Potter fumed.

"She's not to meet with McBrigde, anyone else fine, I don't care but this meeting she sits out. It's an order as your boss" he directed at me and I froze in place.

"Why am I so dumb?" I thought with flashbacks from last night settling in.

The next thing I knew I was in my office scrolling through emails from ROSS PIN LMT. I was trying my best not to think of all that happened and distract myself with work.

Just then I heard a knock and the door opened without me prompting the person to.

Anthony walked into the room, holding a bright yellow file. I scowled at his presence, I was pissed and I wanted him to realize it.

"This got sent to my office by mistake or something, they're financial statements I told Nina to send to you three days ago"he said and without sparing him a glance I grabbed the file.

I was being petty and immature but I couldn't care less.

"Melissa listen I_"

"Is that all, sir?" I interrupted with a stern look on my face.

He stared at me for a while and then nodded. As he turned to leave, his phone suddenly rang and he quickly searched through his pockets to find it.

"Hello?...... Rachel?! This isn't your number,why..........wait what do you mean you're in my house?!" My eyes widened at that and I didn't realize I was gripping hard on the pen I was holding.

"Who the fuck let you in without my permission?!..........no that's not why, its just unsettling that you're in my house without telling me you're even back in town .........I know........it's a lot, I wanted us to talk things through face to face......."

"Great, now I feel even shittier about last night" I whispered audibly and looked away from him.

"Rachel I can't come right now I have an important meeting and......dont give me that crap, what are you going to get from trying to kill yourself?!" His voice started getting louder and I could sense the irritation

"Stop this madness Rachel!! Stop acting childish and get out of my house!"

I started to think of what kind of person this 'Rachel' is. Probably the crazy type.

"Rachel please..... we'll talk things through, you don't have to do that to yourself..............Rachel please I can't deal with this today!" I snickered and opened the yellow file to inspect the contents.

"Fine! I'll be there! Dont do anything stupid! Just wait please" Just then he hang up and without saying a word to me he stormed to the door only to bump into Mrs Potter.

"There you are,Anthony. The meeting room is all set for the meeting. The McBrigdes will be arriving in 30minutes...... where are you going in such a hurry,child?" She questioned.

"Something came up, please call the McBrigdes tell them there's a crisis at hand thus the meeting is rescheduled." Without listening to the protests from the old lady, the determined man  stormed out.

Mrs Potter turned to me in disbelief and I shrugged. She asked me for an explanation and all I could do was shrug.

"Men, am I right?" I tried to crack a joke only for Mrs. Potter to give me a disturbed look.

"Well doesn't matter, cause lucky for us I know someone who can do the meeting in place of that tooty face" she scowled and I stifled a snort at the sound of 'tooty face'.

Then I realized she was staring right at me. "Wait me?! But you were there Mrs Potter! I_"

"You were the future of your father's company and I know for sure as a CEO taking care of the matters of the company is your responsibility especially with a matter as delicate as this one."

"And because it's delicate he should be the one to do it!" I argued.

"Not when he selfishly ran out with no reason. We both know how people whisper behind your back, prove to them that you're not just a leech but that you deserve this position. Prove it that you're capable of running this company and secure your title here on the eyes of all those doubters"

I looked at her with panic evident on my face. She walked up to me and touched my shoulder.

"You're a Ramirez now honey, thats the heavy burden of responsibility they all bear"

Thank you for reading, sorry it took  so long to update. Hope you enjoyed it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

360K 11.4K 25
"Dear Diary Now there is nothing but uncertainty around my future. I got married, to Ethan Carter.The merger that let us to this pinnacle came at a c...
112K 4.1K 47
"That means you're coming with me too then." He groans, bringing a hand up to his forehead and rubbing it in exasperation. "Excuse me?" My chest puff...
243K 4.3K 51
Blaire Rose Anderson Daughter of the CEO of Anders &Co industry, has a heart of gold. She is swéet to everyone even after the death of her mother in...
50.9K 1.8K 55
Oliver Miles, the CEO of the Miles corporation which he inherited from his father. He was engaged to someone whom he don't love, whom his mother chos...