The Barren Thorns: I Know You...

By IrisAnderson

The first in The Barren Thorns trilogy I never believed in soulmates until I first saw those emerald green ey... More

Chapter 1: For Those About to Rock
Chapter 1.5: Swagger
Chapter 2: Tell Me Baby
Chapter 3: Dreams
Chapter 4: The Broad Majestic Shannon
Chapter 5: Absolute Gravity
Chapter 6: Peg o' My Heart
Chapter 7: With a Song in my Heart
Chapter 8: Crimson & Clover
Chapter 9: Just Breathe
Chapter 10: Taste You
Chapter 11: Legs Crossed
Chapter 12: Because the Night
Chapter 13: The Lion The Beast The Beat
Chapter 14: Before You Called Me Baby
Chapter 15: Hey Leonardo
Chapter 16: Forever
Chapter 18: Love of A Lifetime
Chapter 19: Beside Myself
Chapter 20: 19th Nervous Breakdown
Chapter 21: Devil's Backbone
Chapter 22: Mother
Chapter 23: The Long Road
Chapter 24: Sweet Child o' Mine
Chapter 25: Black
Chapter 26: Dark Nights
Chapter 27: All on My Mind
Chapter 28: Howlin For You
Chapter 29: Lucky Penny
Chapter 30: This Depression
Chapter 31: Dark Side
Chapter 32: I Know You

Chapter 17: Dimples

73 4 11
By IrisAnderson

"I love when you do that," Desmond murmured as we walked toward the green room.

"Do what?"

"Get all professional like that. Gives me all sorts of naughty secretary fantasies," he joked.

"That's sexist, why can't I be the naughty CEO?" I scolded.

"Ooh, will you let me bend you over your desk, boss?" He asked with a cheeky smile and the image caused my body to heat up.

"Let's revisit this discussion later."

The smell of warm Italian food was swarming my senses when we entered the half empty green room. "Bestie!" Ellen shrieked from across the room and rushed over to us. "You would not believe the texts that I just got." She challenged with a grin on her face. I hardly noticed, however because I was busy staring at the buffet.

"Let's get some food in her, before you tell her?" Desmond suggested, and Ellen sighed and nodded. "Come on," Desmond ordered. My mind was focused on the food as he guided me in that direction. I immediately curated a plate that would set any italia-phile into a frenzy. With a full plate and a happy face, I looked for a seat at the table which had Leo with Ellen perched on his knee, Gabe who was looking rather dapper in a black, velvet suit, Genesis who was wearing thigh-high Converse All-Stars and a gold sequined mini dress, Bridget who was dressed in a grey silk tuxedo with platform sandals, and now Desmond who was grinning at me. He pat his lap with that same cheeky smile and I spun around to see that there were no more seats to use for the table - I actually debated a barstool or couch but succumbed. I rolled my eyes and took my seat on his lap and began to immediately dig into my food. In between bites, Ellen thrust her phone into my line of sight. My eyes widened as I read the words that appeared on the screen.

Dïckhëäd: So she's just going to marry a rockstar now? What are you his live in side piece or something?

Dïckhëäd: Too good to respond to me now?

Dïckhëäd: You two are such sluts. You know you'll be crawling back to us when they're done with you and me and Logan won't be here for you because no one wants some STD-riddled rock star's sloppy thirds.

Dïckhëäd: because we had you first. They had you second.

I actually laughed out loud by the end. However, I heard a fierce growl when I was handing the phone back. I realized that Desmond had been reading over my shoulder. "Who the fück is that piece of shïtë and can I kick his ärsë, please?" Simultaneously, Ellen affirmed and I rejected his proposal.

"That was my reaction too," Leo grumbled looking grumpy and Ellen rolled her eyes.

"He's obviously being a drunk idiot. He's not worth the hassle, trust me." Ellen explained depositing her phone in her clutch.

"Isn't it like lunchtime in the States?" Leo prodded.

"And?" Ellen and I asked at the same moment.

"I don't think it's alright for anyone, no matter their sobriety, to talk about my fiancé that way," Desmond griped. I turned to look at him. He was very much trying to keep his cool.

"Maybe we should get some fresh air?" I proposed, rising to my feet.

"We aren't on for another hour so you're good," Genesis informed when I looked around to see if anyone was going to stop us.

"Come on," I advised, pulling Desmond to his feet and dragging him toward the door. We stepped out into the hall and I looked around. Just as I was about to chart my own course, LeAnn appeared. "LeAnn!" I called probably louder than I should have seeing as she practically jumped out of her skin.

"Hi... are you ok, Desmond?" She asked anxiously.

"He is. He's just angsty. We could use some fresh air, got any around?" I asked before Desmond could answer.

"Uh, is that a euphemism? I don't have drugs if that's what you're asking," she replied with a furrowed brow.

I erupted in laughter. "No, I'm being literal. Do you have a place we can just get a little fresh air?" I clarified. "Preferably sans cameras?"

"Oh, right, sorry. You'd be amazed how often I'm approached to procure illicit substances." She admitted, her relief evident. "Down at that end," she pointed. "There is a set of stairs with roof access. That's where people go to smoke usually but most people are occupied now since the show's started so it should be open and probably pretty much to yourselves." She responded before looking at her phone. "I have to run, you good?" She confirmed. I nodded and she ran off in the other direction.

"Come on," I repeated and headed for the door that LeAnn had recommended.

As we walked out into the night air, a breeze caused a shiver to rush through me and I instinctively wrapped my arms around myself. "Here, darling," Desmond murmured draping his suit jacket over my shoulders. I smiled as I looked up at him. He left his arm around my shoulder. "Why do you let people talk about and to you the way that bloke did?" He asked looking over the view of the city that we were facing.

I considered this question a moment, "Because they aren't worth it," I explained simply. "They do these things and say these things because they want us to react."

"But he has no right. You stood up to Logan, why not this guy?" He huffed. He took his arm away and rubbed his face with both hands, clearly agitated.

I watched him another minute before answering, "I stood up to Logan because he's my baggage and my problem. Trevor isn't my problem."

"That's the dïckhëäd, then? Trevor?" He grunted. "He is friends with Logan I guess?"

"They became friends through dating Ellen and me. They stuck by each other after Logan and I split. Ironically, Ellen caught Trevor cheating because he was doing it at Logan's and Logan had my snowboard and refused to give it back. So Ellen went to fetch it for me." I snorted. "She even broke in."

He chuckled lightly at this before few minutes of gentle silence passed, both of us lost in our own realities. "I'm worried that's not the end of it. I feel if we don't nip it in the bud, they'll continue."

"They'll get bored eventually. They want to get a rise out of me. They want you to try to fight them. They want me to fight with you about it. They want Ellen and me to feel like we aren't good enough. Why would I let them have what they want? Does it mean more that I say nothing? It's not like I'm rolling over. I'm walking away. There's a huge difference." I stated looking over at him.

He was smiling softly. "I love you, you know that?" He asked pulling me into him and kissing my head, the mood completely shifting.

"I had a hunch but what makes you say that now?" I asked shifting my arm about his waist and leaning into him.

"Because I'm spontaneous and impulsive and I make rash decisions. You are calculated and thoughtful and yet you want to spend forever with my unworthy ärsë." He laughed.

"I think where you are thoughtful, I am impulsive. You always say these perfect, beautiful things. I on the other hand say things like 'of course I'll marry you, you Limey bastard,'" I flushed at the memory. "I think we're worthy of one another," I added confidently.

"I guess we complement each other well, eh?" He asked. "What time is it?" I turned around and looked at Big Ben in the distance.

"Still have 40ish minutes before we've got to head down, why?" I asked turning back to him. I didnt want to leave our own little world again. I wanted to stay up here and away from the chaos of media and büllshït that awaited us.

"Because I wanted to make sure I had time to kiss you like I've been wanting to since you put that dress on." He grinned as he turned my body with his hands. Now with my body parallel with his, he glanced me up and down. "You know, I've never known someone who can be so many kinds of attractive all at once," He stated.

"What does that mean?" I asked trying to wrap my mind around what he'd said. What are kinds of attractiveness?

"You're standing here with my jacket on, swimming in it and looking absolutely, unbearably adorable. Then you pop your hip out like that and your leg comes peeking through the slit in your dress and you look incredibly sexy and alluring. Then you look up at me with those hazel eyes that both the night and your love for me shine in, and you're so beautiful you take my breath away. Oh God, and then I look down at the curve of your body and the way that your waist narrows and flows up into those perfect brëästs and I think 'I'm the lucky bästärd that gets to take her home tonight,'" he finished with a grin and I leaned up to whisper in his ear.

"And you'll get to have your way with me when we get there," I bit my lip as I looked up at him coquettishly.

"Oh, I'm so fückïng lucky," he boasted before his lips crashed into mine. His kiss was hungry as his hands cupped both my cheeks. My hands rose up to hold his forearms as I kissed him back with equal ferocity. "Did I mention I also get to marry you?" He asked between rushed pecks on the lips. I pulled away and looked at him with wide eyes, though he wouldn't let my face go completely.

"You do? And here I thought I'd just be marrying you," I smiled with sarcastic ignorance.

"Ivy," he warned teasingly. "Don't mock, darling. You don't know what I'm capable of." His voice had deepened and I grinned up at him.

"If I tease some more could I get a taste?" I asked, maneuvering out of his grasp so I could place a wet kiss on his neck that quickly morphed into something akin to a nibble.

"How long do we have? Do you think we have enough time for a quickie in one of the dressing rooms?" He asked looking around.

"What's wrong with right here?" I asked wiggling my eyebrows at him. I pulled him into another steamy kiss, this one longer and more committed.

"Oh, trust me the idea of getting voyeuristic with you is ridiculously tempting. But we are literally on top of a building with every person that would love a video or image of us doing it. I think it's not the time." I feigned pouting and he laughed. "Put that lip away, we've got our whole lives to shag in a public place." He grinned. "As well as get it on tape." He added with a wink.

The thought of both flushed my cheeks and I nibbled at my bottom lip. "Ok fine." I breathed. "But only because the thought of our future kids possibly seeing a video of us online having really indecent sex is quite a terrible one." I pointed out as I walked towards the stairwell.

"You do mean the things we are doing to one another would be indecent not the sex, right? Because the sex is the best I've ever had," he confirmed as he opened the door to let me into the stairwell.

"Funny, that's what you used to say about our sex, Mondo," came a voice from the landing below. I didn't have to see her to know there was only person it could be: Winona Benson, Desmond's ex-girlfriend.

"Ah, I did, didn't I?" I knew it was Desmond's voice but it sounded foreign to that which he used with me, this one was dripping with loathing. He guided me down the stairs toward her. "It's hard to remember because one night with Ivy was more than enough to outdo anyone prior to her." Desmond replied with a kiss to my temple. "Ivy, this is Winona. Winona, this is my fiancé, Ivy," he announced proudly. Butterflies kicked up as the words sunk in.

"Your what?" She faltered, genuine surprise crossing her hard face.

"His fiancé." I echoed and extending my right hand for her to shake as we met her on the landing.

However, she batted it away and took my left instead to inspect the ring. She pulled it toward her face and eyed it with a wicked smirk. Then she scoffed and let out an incredulous laugh. "That ring is pathetic. You're a multi-millionaire, you didn't feel she was worth something that would have actually been attractive?"

I ripped my hand from her grasp and held the ring and my finger to my chest protectively. "I'm sorry it doesn't meet your standards but it does mine." I shook my head at my own thought. I stared up at her and understood the loathing of felt coming from Desmond. "Let me restate that." My voice was firm and commanding. I felt Desmond lace his fingers with my own. "I'm not sorry you don't like it. If you did it might have meant that you were close to good enough for or compatible with Desmond but the fact that your first thought is how much it cost is exactly why you were never going to be right for him." I literally stomped my foot. I was seething at the idea that someone would attempt to judge me without hardly knowing my name. "He could have given me a Cracker Jack ring and if it had the significance this one does, I'd find it to be the most beautiful, priceless ring in the world." Winona seemed surprised by this outburst as Desmond wrapped his arms around me. "Also it's gorgeous, that's just good luck." I finished.

"I love you," he whispered into my ear and a chill ran through me. "Shall we go?" He asked.

"Yes, just one more thing," I realized. I stepped closer to Winona and looked her square in the eye. She was taller than me but she met my gaze. "Don't ever feel you have any right to give your opinion regarding my partner or me or my family. I don't take kindly to mean girls and I think it is pathetic that you thought your attempts at degrading my relationship would affect me. Feel free to call me if you decide that women should support other women because until you do, you're not a woman and I'm not friends with girls like you. If you decide to grow some ovaries, I think we'd get along. Oh, and you have food in your teeth. Bummer you went on stage like that." I smiled sweetly and stepped around her. Desmond immediately took my hand in his and led me down the remaining stairs. I heard Winona huff up the stairs while flicking her lighter.

"15 minutes until you're up," LeAnn reminded as she appeared at the base of the stairs.

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, can't I catch a break?" Desmond whined, causing me to laugh and LeAnn to look concerned.

"Not you, LeAnn. He's just cranky because he has to wait for dessert until after his performance. You know, just like eating and swimming? You've got to wait at least 30 minutes before playing after eating." I explained in a slight ramble. LeAnn nodded unsure of what was happening but was called away before she could think about it further.

"You are my favorite dessert," Desmond whispered into my ear before biting it gently.

"I thought I was your favorite breakfast," I accused in an unintentionally breathy voice.

"I'd have you for every meal if I could," He wrapped his arms around me and pressed me against the wall next to the green room door.

"I should go in. They want to film me while you're on stage." I reminded.

"Forget about the fecking media. I don't want to leave you." He cursed, nuzzling my neck with hot, wet kisses.

"It's only like 10-15 minutes. You'll survive without me for a quarter hour." I continued.

He sighed heavily and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Fine but I don't want you in the sodding green room. Will you and Ellen watch from the wings?" He asked with a hopeful smile.

"If it's alright with LeAnn and the band." I agreed with a pointed look which he nodded at dutifully before pulling me into the green room where our friends sat. They had been joined by a few new faces, who lit up at the sight of us.

"Is this her?!" A girl with neon green hair shrieked as she ran toward us.

"She's so pretty," Another girl cooed as she strode over. This one with jet black hair.

"Well done, Mondo," greeted the last voice which belonged to a rather familiar and handsome young man. His accent was stateside. Also, what's with this Mondo nickname? I hate it.

"Watch it, Gill." Desmond warned before turning to the two girls. Ah, Gill Hammond. Playboy drummer who changed bands more than I do bras. I'd seen his antics on various covers while grocery shopping. "Ivy, this is Hannah and Monica." They each waved at their respective names. "Hannah and Monica, this is my fiancé, Ivy," he grinned as he said the word again, so did I. Will that ever get old?

"We've just heard. We must have just hit back stage as you announced. You know how Winona makes us go wireless before a performance." The woman called Monica rolled her eyes at the name.

"Congratulations!" Hannah offered, pulling me into an abrupt hug and I quickly reciprocated the kindness.

"Thank you," I said with a mesmerized smile.

"It's me you should be congratulating." Desmond added when Hannah finally released me.

"Is no one going to introduce me?" The male voice finally piped up again.

"Gill, Ivy. Ivy, Gill." Desmond muttered quickly, placing a possessive hand on my hip and pulling me into him.

"I'm the drummer for Water Buffalo," He boasted as he slowly shook my hand. Water Buffalo was Winona's band.

"That's funny. Y'all are almost exactly the gendered inverse of The Barren Thorns," I pointed out as I took my hand back, stupid thing to say. Any conversation would be better than having to look into Gill's leering eyes. Or hearing whatever cheesy line certainly went along with that stare.

"Yup. We've wanted to trade Gill for Genesis since we got him but she likes her odds with the guys and Bridget." Hannah joked.

"And I'd never let Gill be in our band," Leo added as he sauntered over with Ellen close behind.

"Barren Thorns, you're up in 5. Ivy and Ellen, could I have a word?" LeAnn's voice called from the doorway.

I peeled myself off and away from Desmond and he sighed exasperatingly as I walked with Ellen to LeAnn.

"We need to set you up for filming your reaction to the music," she told us.

"Why am I here?" Ellen asked confused.

"Because we want to film your reaction to Leo's choice of cover." LeAnn stated as if this were an obvious answer.

"What?" Ellen and I asked at the same moment.

"Nothing," Desmond stepped into the conversation. "I want them in the wings, please, LeAnn. I want to be able to see Ivy's beautiful lips mouthing my lyrics." He winked and I couldn't help but blush.

"Of course, that was really my question. Why don't you two come with me and we'll get you all set up?" She offered looking at a still bewildered Ellen and me.

"Sure," I agreed, looking to Desmond in time to see a mischievous smirk which he immediately attempted to hide.

"Break a leg, Des," I grinned before kissing his cheek gently, cautious not to get the lip stick, I'd just reapplied, on him.

"Oh, that's not nearly enough," he scoffed before pulling me by my hips and meeting my lips with his. After leaving me breathless, he beamed as I tried to come out of the daze his kiss inevitably sunk me in. "I'll see you in a bit, darling. Try to control the happy tears somewhat, it would be less than ideal to have to caveman carry you in that dress onto a televised stage." He winked cheekily.

"I love you, even though you're an ape," I smiled and turned to walk away. Just before I was out of range, I felt his hand make contact with my already bruised butt cheek. I turned around to see him grinning proudly and I laughed and shook my head before following LeAnn and Ellen out of the room.

"Alright, Ivy and Ellen. This is Danny, Danny this is Ivy, Desmond's fiancé and this is Ellen, Leo's erm- friend?" She gave Ellen a questioning look to which Ellen half nodded, half shrugged. "Ladies, Danny's been assigned to film you two during the performances. The Barren Thorns will be doing 3 songs, first is Leo's choice of cover song, then is Desmond's choice of cover song and they'll be closing with 'Ivy's Song' by special request of the fans. They will be talking in between each song so the whole thing will take about thirty minutes." LeAnn explained.

"Did Leo tell you they were doing 3 songs?" I discreetly questioned Ellen when LeAnn went to get the band.

"No, did Desmond tell you?" I shook my head and we both sighed. "It's a set up then. It's some sort of surprise for us." Ellen deduced.

"I think it's just a surprise for you. Desmond knows I'm shit at keeping secrets," I mused.

"Oh God. Fingers crossed I don't cry." Ellen hoped grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

"If there's any sort of surprise for me in there you know I'll be blubbering like an idiot."

"Heads up. Camera is rolling in 5-4-3-2," he pointed at us just as LeAnn began guiding the band our way. Desmond's presence immediately calmed any nerves that I was feeling. He smiled at me the moment he saw me and I grinned like an loon.

"You're so fecking gorgeous," he whispered making me both blush and giggle. He pressed a kiss to my cheek and then was ushered on stage. He turned and winked at me before he began to wave at the crowd.

"Hello, London!" Leo cried into the mic and was met with uproarious cheers. "Alright settle down, you lot. I have important things to talk about!" He announced and they eventually obliged. "So, as we all know we are here tonight for a great cause. The International Planned Parenthood Federation is something that does work all over the world for both men and women. But let's be honest here, the onus of sexual health, reproduction, and sexual violence often doesn't fall on men in a relationship, consensual or otherwise. As much as sexual education for men is crucial, we want to take this opportunity to honor the women in our lives." This speech was met with an even bigger and longer cheer than the previous. Which meant the cameras were likely on us in that moment. We applauded and whooped as well and I did my best to hide my surprise at how serious and well-spoken the carefree, jokester Leo could be. "So, this first song is in honor of my favorite girl. I'm hoping that she will like it," he smiled as he said it and I noticed there was a nervousness to his voice. Ellen and I exchanged a discrete look.

As Desmond played the opening chords of the song, Ellen immediately grabbed my hand and squeezed it. The Beatles' 'Something' began to play with a heavier rock adaptation to it.

(A/N: this video creeps me the fück out.) Ellen grinned and I watched her as she looked lovingly toward Leo and he began singing the words that she knew by heart. "Something in the way she moves, attracts me like no other lover, something in the way she woos me, I don't want to leave her now, you know I believe and how." Ellen began to sway, entranced by his voice as he sang. As he reached the bridge, he turned his head slightly and made eye contact with Ellen as he says the words, "You're asking me will my love grow; I don't know, I don't know; You stick around and it may show; I don't know, I don't know." And Ellen nodded her head excitedly, as though they were having their own conversation. I watched all of this transpire and when Desmond's riff started to play she finally looked at me.

"Looks like I'll be staying over here for a while." I scrunched my eyebrows together for further explanation but Leo's voice had begun to sing again and she was lost in it. I looked to the stage and my eyes locked with Desmond's and he smiled softly then returned his attention to the audience.

As the song came to an end, Ellen was beaming like a buffoon and just as I was about to ask what the heck was going on, Desmond's voice was speaking to the audience and now I was caught up. "For those of ye who don't already know, I asked my brilliant and gorgeous girlfriend, Ivy Lippmann to marry me earlier." My breath caught in my throat and I coughed slightly, not expecting the attention to be on me quite so pointedly. I quickly regained my composure though when I felt his eyes meet mine from the corner of his. "So, it won't be surprising to hear that I chose the next cover based on how she makes me feel and the things I want her to know. I'd like to preface this by saying, if her face ends up on the jumboscreen up there and she's crying, they're happy tears. It's taken me a while to get used to them as well. It should also be said that I chose this song before I proposed to her tonight, draw your own conclusions." He finished with a smile and a wink at the audience.

I was nervously biting my lower lip and was suddenly thinking a thank you note to my make-up artist was in order for choosing to give me waterproof mascara.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Reality By Nicole

General Fiction

112K 6.1K 32
SEQUEL TO EXPECTATIONS! It is highly recommended to read the first book before starting this one. - - - - - - It's a funny thing, expectation versus...
306K 247 36
Ellie Mattice is offered the opportunity of a lifetime when she gets accepted as an international student at a leading performing arts school in Lond...
95.5K 3.4K 32
🚨 DON'T READ THIS VERSION. This story has been rewritten into a separate book with a different title. The new and better version, IN WAVES, can be f...
5K 108 24
Natalie Wright, a college student, hasn't had an easy life. Emotionally and physically. Her one and only safe haven is music, the kind of soul shakin...