Something Great

By _onedirection_1234

Is it too much to ask for something great? Cassidy thinks so. At twelve she's already been abandoned and abus... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96 (The End)
Bad News:(

82

66 2 2
By _onedirection_1234

**Cassidy’s POV**

The ear splitting sound of the phone ringing jolted me awake. It took me a few seconds for me to adjust to my surroundings. The light in the hallway flicked on and I heard someone stumbling in the hallway. It was two thirty am. Somebody was calling the house in the middle of the night. I brushed my hair back from my face and took deep breathes, pushing back the scary thoughts. Only bad phone calls come at night. No, Cassidy, calm down. Instead of sitting in bed and imagining all the possible scenarios, I cracked my door open.

“Shh, ok, I’ll come pick you up, everything’s going to be fine, alright? No, really, I’ll come get you right now. But Ev- ok. Ok. Be safe. Call me when you and Fin are in your car.” I blink multiple times to try and wake up from this dream. Harry’s bare back is turned away me as he paced the kitchen, and Liam rubbed the back of his head, drumming nervously on the table. Niall’s leaning on the island next to Louis who is sitting on the granite. Harry hangs up the phone and thumps his fist on the counter in frustration.

“What’s going on?” I croak, and they turn to me.

“Where’s Zayn?” Liam looks behind me.

“Liam,” I whimper. “What happened to Evelyn?” Nobody answers me and I expect the worse, my eyes filling up with tears.

“C’mere.” Liam pulls me into a hug. “You know Rob has been drinking, right?” I nod into his shoulder. “He came home tonight, really trashed. He knocked around Ev a bit. But the baby’s ok, and Evelyn is going to be alright. They’re both scared. So they’re going to stay here tonight.” A part of me is glad that’s all that happened, but the other is frightened. What if he follows her?

“We better go get some proper clothes on then, lads,” Louis acknowledges their lack-of-actual-pj’s. Liam kisses the top of my head and begins to pull away but I tighten my grip.

“Liam?” I whisper.

“Yes, baby girl?”

“I’m scared too.” I admit.

He rubs my back soothingly and plays with the tips of my hair. “It’s ok to be scared, but everything is going to be fine. She’s on her way right now. Why don’t you go back upstairs and try to go back to sleep. I’ll walk you up? You have school today, too.”

“No! I mean, I don’t want to leave. I need to make sure her and Fin are alright.” I protest. Liam was going to object, but there was a pounding at the door. I let out a small cry, startled by the sudden noise.

“I got it,” Niall volunteered, tossing the newly awakened Zayn a shirt.

“Make sure it’s them before you open the door,” Harry reminded him. Niall checked through the peephole, and nodded at us. As soon as he opened the door, Evelyn came crashing in.

“L-lock the door!” She screamed, slamming it shut and fumbling with the lock.

“You’re safe now, Evelyn. You need to calm down, shh.” Louis coaxed her into the family room and Niall flipped all the locks. My heart pounded out of my chest as I took in each inch of her. A baseball sized bruise was planted on her cheekbone, and on the other side of her face a black ring encircled her once vibrant green eye. Fin was crying hysterically and holding tightly onto her. Harry managed to peel him off her and handed him over to me.

“What am I supposed to do with him?” I hissed, but he had already turned back to Evelyn. I realized that if he heard Ev crying, he would continue wailing, and if she heard Fin bawling she would keep on weeping. Thinking fast, I retreated to my room, attempting to separate them. I bounced him on my hip, patting his back a whispering relaxing words to him.

It took thirty long minutes but eventually his wails turned sniffles. My goal was to get him to sleep completely but it wasn’t working. Suddenly an idea popped into my head. I made a pallet on my bed to place Fin on and sat in front of him crisscross with my guitar in my lap. I began strumming softly, straining to recall all the chords Niall had taught me.

Shut the door

Turn the light off

Fin’s big eyes focused on my face as I sang quietly. Soon his eye lids began drooping until they closed completely. I smiled down at him and placed my guitar on the floor by my bed. I was battling with the urge to sleep beside him and sleep was winning. After I kissed him extra gently on the head, I set up the pillows so he wouldn’t roll off the bed and I wouldn’t roll on him.

~~~~~~

Next thing I knew, my alarm was going off. Except I didn’t set my alarm last night…I rubbed my eyes and sat up. Everything came back at once. The phone call, Evelyn, drunk Rob, Fin screaming. Speaking of Fin screaming!  I pulled him into my arms and got him quiet. The sun was pushing through my blinds and the clock read ten fifteen am. That means I missed school. Oh crap. I can’t miss school; I’m already so far behind.

I check the boys’ rooms, all of them are empty. Downstairs an exhausted looking Zayn dips a tea bag into his mug, and blows on the steaming liquid.

“Hi,” I greet tiredly, sliding onto a barstool and placing Fin on the counter facing me.

“Morning princess,” He sits next to me, hugging me as he sits down. “You were a massive help last night, babe. I don’t know what we would have done without you taking care of Finley, really. It was very responsible of you and I’m extremely proud of you.” Zayn looks me directly in the eyes but I look away, embarrassed.

“Thanks,” I reply, fixing Fin’s sock so it fits correctly.

“Hey Finnie,” Zayn smiles at Fin, talking to him in a high pitched voice. “Isn’t Cass here the best?” Fin giggles as Zayn tickles him and lifts him onto his lap. “How did you get him to quiet down last night anyways?” Zayn addresses me.

“It took a while but I calmed him down…” I couldn’t stand the humiliation of him knowing that I sang him to sleep with their song.

“Hmm, that’s all?” He questioned skeptically.

“Yep.” I chirp, fiddling with the tea bag. “Where, um, where are the rest of the boys, and Evelyn?” I clear my throat.

“In the guest room. Well, I crashed on the couch out here last night but the rest of them are on the floor. She didn’t calm down ‘til eight this morning.” Zayn explained, playing “This little piggy” with Fin’s toes.

“How is she?” I stand up to make myself some toast.

“Not too well. But what can you expect after she’s been through something that traumatic. I mean, she’s holding up, but Cass, Evelyn’s in deep.” He spoke gravely. I was glad that he wasn’t keeping any details from me; I wanted to know what was going on.

“What do you mean?” I popped the bread into the toaster and set the timer.

“At some point today we’re going to have to notify the police of the situation, and get the authorities involved- you know how it is. Especially with this kiddo,” He bounced Finley on his knee.

“I just can’t believe how this all went downhill so fast. Rob seemed nice when we met him all those times.” I leaned against the counter. Then it occurred to me. “Well then again I bet my father did, too.” Zayn looked up from the baby.

“You’re right, Cass. It’s a real shame. Evelyn's such a kind person, too. She doesn’t deserve this. No one does.” The toast popped up and I placed them on plate. Rob was the same as my father. Evelyn was my mother, and I was Fin. We all suffered because of his alcoholism.

“What’s Fin gonna eat?” This was a legitimate concern of mine. I didn’t think the boys would want to go back to her house.

“Jesus, you’re right. I’m going to wake up Harry and then I’ll drive to the store and get some baby stuff.” He sighed, rubbing the bristle on his cheeks.

“Baby stuff?” He only needed formula for Fin.

“Who knows how long she’ll be here,” Zayn answered before he woke Harry. Moments later he returned, fully dressed and car keys in hand. “Harry’s coming down in a sec to watch you guys. See you in a few.” I nodded, balancing my breakfast in one hand and the toddler in the other. “Love you!” He peeked open the door before he left.

“You too,” I laughed. It never got old- them reminding me how much they loved me. Harry sauntered downstairs and rolled his shoulders, just waking up.

“Good morning Angel,” His voice was filled with fatigue. “Morning Fin-boy.” He smiled at Fin.

“So I guess I’m not going to school then,” I shrugged, placing my plate in the sink.

“Oh shi- shoot. I suppose not. We have loads going on right now. I don’t think we should bring school in the mix. But if you want to, I can bring you in-”

“No. Definitely not.” I cracked a smile and he chuckled.

“Thought so.”

**Zious drama:( opinions?

I had to spilt this chapter in half because it was getting very long:p Will update later  xo**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 5.4K 89
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
116K 6.4K 40
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢'𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐭𝐨 𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲? 𝐢 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 �...
1M 55.9K 36
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
723K 44.4K 109
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...