Cassidy’s POV

“What do you think Cassidy?”

“Huh?”

“What do you think Callie should do?” Trish asked again.

“About what?” I obviously hadn’t been paying attention, instead trading funny looks across the circle to Ciara.

“Cassidy.” Trish sighed in disappointment. “Please try to keep up with the conversation.” It was my second week here and Ciara was right, it didn’t get much better. The girls just complained about their problems, never taking a real initiative to solve them. When it was my turn to share, I declined.

“I’m good.” Ciara giggled and I snuck a grin at her.

“Just tell us something. Talk about school, you are attending a new school, right?” Trish prodded.

“Yeah…I mean its fine. School is school.” I mumbled, pulling on my necklace. I didn’t like all the attention I got when I was talking.

“And?”

“And? There is no ‘and’. I’m not depressed or angry about anything. I don’t want or need to share my deepest thoughts with you guys. I’m only here because I have to be. I’m not like you guys. So can’t we just make this easier for both of us and ignore me until this is over?” Everyone stared at me, obviously pissed.

“Do you think you’re better than us?” Mia asked, narrowing her eyes.

“I don’t think I’m better than anyone. Maybe I just don’t want to sit here and waste my time talking about things that can’t be changed!” I spat, sitting up straight in my chair.

“You’re right. You’re past can’t be changed. But the way you feel about it can be.” Trish replied calmly and rolled my eyes.

“I don’t want anything to change. Ever think about that? I don’t need your guys’ help, ok?”

“Cassidy, you’re still angry about your past. You can’t deny it forever, you know that right?”

“I’ve accepted what happened to me, maybe you guys should grow up and move on now. You can’t come here the rest of your life and cry and complain. At some point, people will get tired of you acting like a victim.” I stood up and walked out, slamming the door behind me. Liam wouldn’t be coming for another fifteen minutes, so I went outside. It was overcast, and had been misting continually all day. I went out to the playground. No one was there so I sat down on the swing and rested my temple against the chain. I wished I could see Evelyn. But now with Fin, she was busy and had been spending most of her time with him. She was even considering stopping working and becoming a full time Mom. Although Ev did assure me she would keep counseling me.

The swing beside mine moved in the wind until someone grabbed hold of it. Ciara sat down next to me.

“You have some of them really upset you know.”

“Any criers?” I asked, looking up.

“Dana and Mia.”

“Oh. Oops.” Part of me felt bad, but the other part didn’t care enough.

“They don’t want you to come back.” Ciara laughed softly, drawing a pattern into the sand with her combat boot. “Was that your plan all along?”

“No, it just sort of happened. I didn’t intentionally hurt them, but they needed to wake up and return to reality.”

“What are you gonna do about the court order?” She asked.

I hadn’t thought of that. “I’ll probably have to go meet with my Father now.” A pang of regret flashed through me but I pushed it away.

“I gotta go. Bye. See you…around?” Ciara pushed herself from the swing and stood up.