Beyond the Milky Way

By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

A group gathers after receiving an official letter from the president of the United States. Their purpose? Be... More

Disclaimers and the Like
1.1: Lindsay
1.2: Bradley
1.3: The Team
2.1: Area 51
2.2: The Assessment
3.1: Buno
3.2: The Welcome Feast
3.3: Practice
4.1: The Spa
4.2: Breakfast
4.3: The Legoomian Recital
5.1: Queen of Buno
5.2: Family Matters
5.3: Bunodic Ruins
6.1: Phone Home
6.2: The Race
7.1: Impossible is Nothing
8.1: The End of the World
8.2: Survival
8.3: Goodbye
9.1: The Rerecro
9.2: Secrets
10.1: Father Figure
10.2: The Courtship
11.1: The Mating Ritual
11.2: Pheromones
11.3: Solitude
12.1: The Closing Ceremony
12.2: Esperia
12.3: A Realization
13.1: The Esperian Union
13.2: Coronation
14.1: A Surprise Development
14.2: The Esperian Child
Preview of Lady of Esperia

13.3: Forgiveness

26 4 0
By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

It didn't take long to set up outside, as a space was roped off for the royal court, Lady of Esperia and Royal Magistrate. Lindsay ate and gazed in silence as her human friends and family talked and laughed amongst themselves. Areiv noticed and caught her hand.

"I will not become offended if you prefer to feast with them..." he smiled and nodded towards the large table in front of them. "We have an eternity to be together; I surely do not mind a few moments away from you."

"No... it's not that."

"Are you certain?"

"... I don't know. Areiv, you're not overwhelmed...?"

"Should I be?"

"Yes! They televised the coronation!"

"My love... why does that amaze you? Did you not expect we had the resources to do so?"

"Well..." she offered him a timid expression and Areiv laughed.

"We have given Earth many of our technologies; why would we not utilize them here?"

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. You're so right; look at your IR," she sighed and laughed. Lindsay gave him a peck on the lips. "Thanks for letting me invite them."

"There was no need to exclude them. As they are your family and friends, they are mine."

"Really? Even Brad?" she wanted to know and Areiv sighed. He glanced towards the humans and watched as Bradley ate; David spoke to him but he halfway paid attention to the other man. Areiv smiled at Lindsay.

"I have no hostilities towards Bradley... although it is not the same for him. It disheartens me that he will carry a resentment for as long as we remain one."

"If you want me to talk to him, I can. You're uncomfortable with him here."

"He does not make me-"

"Don't sit here and lie; you're supposed to be the truthful and honest one, here!" she raised her eyebrows at him. Areiv gave out a small laugh and returned the kiss from earlier.

"You are familiar with me greatly, my dear Lindsay. It is only because he does not favor me and he is in love with you."

"Oh, Brad is not in love with me!"

"If he is not, then why is he so envious of me?"

"It's because... he just likes me. That's all. I was the only female human for almost a year. And then we were close partners."

"Lindsay, he has attempted to suppress his genuine feelings however I sensed it. He has passed from mere fascination. Why else would he continue to threaten me, even on the day of our union ritual?" he gave her a smirk. Lindsay's face grew hot as she recalled what the man told her husband during the blessing ritual; the procession moved too quick for her to react towards the slight threat Bradley issued.

"I'm so sorry..."

"You are not to blame for his actions, Lindsay. And, I do not fault him for his sentiments for you; it is quite mutual." he gave her a full smile before giving her a lingering kiss.

"It better be! My offer still stands as far as talking to him."

"As you understand me, I understand you. It does not matter what I say, you will still speak with him on this subject. And I know you still would rather sit with your family. Go; be with them. I can wait." he assured her. Lindsay smiled and excused herself from their table. Before she could leave the area, Reyarts, Noin and Asi approached the rope.

"Lady Lindsay, is there something the matter?" Reyarts asked but Lindsay shook her head.

"No. Just going to talk to my family and friends. I can... do that, right?" she noted the looks on the Esperians' faces. Reyarts bowed but noticed that Asi and Noin were reluctant.

"Asi, Noin; you should bow to your highness! You are aware of this."

"It's fine, Reyarts. I told them they didn't have to. And, you don't either."

"I... pardon me, my grace?"

"If you bow down to me one more time, Reyarts, I will... punish you..." she narrowed her eyes at the Esperian. The women widened their eyes at Lindsay as Reyarts darted his down to his feet.

"Y-Y-You would... punish me, your grace...?"

"No, I'm kidding. Just... please, stop bowing to me. I understand why but... just stop doing it... okay? You can bow down to the Royal Magistrate until you're sore for all I care, if it makes you feel better! So... can I go and visit my friends?"

"Y-You are Lady of Esperia, my grace; you can do as you please." Asi said and raised the rope for Lindsay to pass. She nodded to the three and suppressed her laughter as they struggled not to bow.

"If there is anything else you require, do not hesitate to inform us, Lady Lindsay." Noin nodded.

"Thank you." Lindsay smiled and moved to the table where her family and former team members dined. David and Steve noticed her and bowed.

"Oh, your highness is joining us mere peasants this evening...? We're very humbled, m'lady..." Steve said, and the table laughed as Lindsay blushed.

"Stop that! Don't make me use this on you," she placed her hand on the hilt of the Rerecro but laughed. "Smart asses; was just wondering how you guys liked the food."

"It's actually not bad." Tim admitted.

"Good."

"Hey, since you're here, you can clear up a few things for us."

"I'll try. I don't know how long I can stay here; my royal attendants look like they're ready to put this area on lockdown to keep me from moving!" Lindsay said to Malik but glanced back at the royal section. Emuh stood beside his son, speaking to him while Reyarts and her two attendants lingered by the edge of the rope, watching Lindsay.

"Which is weird; they're not all over Areiv like that." Yoji pointed out and Lindsay smiled.

"Oh... that's because, well... remember when Emuh spoke at the closing ceremonies and we kinda figured out he ruled this galaxy?"

"Yeah...?" William looked at his sister.

"We were half right. It's not the Royal Magistrate that rules the galaxy... it's the Lady of Esperia. Only reason why Emuh did was because the former Lady of Esperia died."

"W-Wait... what?!" Bradley widened his eyes at Lindsay.

"So... wait... you have control over this whole universe?!"

"The details are a little sketchy but basically? Yeah..." Lindsay shrugged at David.

"That's why you look like you're going into battle..." Malik looked over her outfit.

"Wow... the greatest author in the world couldn't write this in existence..." Yoji shook his head.

"I know! It feels weird to me still. No one told me what the title actually meant until I got here. It probably won't sink in until... I don't know. Never?"

"So, how did this whole 'our manager is the artillery specialist's father' happen and when were you going to tell us?" Steve asked. Both Keith and Lindsay blushed as they glanced at each other.

"We were... working on that. Don't take it all out on Lizzie; she just found out herself."

"... Did you know? When you first saw her; did you know that was your daughter?" Bradley's voice was barely audible. Keith sighed.

"I... had a clue. Long story short: the last time I saw Lizzie, she was maybe three days old. It was her mannerisms that gave it away somewhat. And... she looks so much like her mother. It was... fate that brought us back together."

"No. It was Emuh," Lindsay smiled and glanced back at her table; the Esperian had taken his seat but smiled at her. "He's the one who handpicked all of us to be a team. He has these... visions. I'm pretty sure he knew before I did who my real father was. Sorry, guys; I have to go. We'll talk later."

After the feast, the guests remained for dancing and socializing. Bradley had the need to talk to Lindsay but realized she was under the watchful eyes of her royal attendants and advisor, and her new husband. He wasn't in the mood to mingle or dance; Bradley took it as a sign to slip away from the festivities.

He had no clue where he was going but admitted the view was spectacular. There were guards at the palace's entrance that prevented him to go inside but he found his way towards the back of the smallest tower. A raised gazebo caught his attention, and the sight of no guards; he could see that the platform gave a wonderful view of the rest of the lake surrounding the towers. Bradley climbed the steps and was shocked to see someone there, alone.

"... Lizzie." he tried not to startle her and was glad she turned around and smiled at him. "Didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't. Everyone's leaving?"

"Nah. Looks like they're all tipsy off the Esperian wine. Emuh's offered for us to stay the night in the palace; they're gonna be partying for a while!"

"Oh. Why aren't you with them?" she asked, and he shrugged.

"I dunno. Just felt like taking a walk. What about you? Shouldn't you be entertaining guests or condemning folks to a guillotine or something...?"

"Ha... ha..." Lindsay rolled her eyes as he smirked at her. Bradley joined on her the platform and looked at the lake with her. "I would be having fun if someone would let me!"

"Talking about your entourage? Yeah; we've noticed they're not letting anyone too close to you. Speaking of: how are you here...?"

"I snuck away; lied and said I needed to go to the bathroom and didn't need them to babysit me through that! I'm shocked the royal army hasn't been summoned to look for me. I honestly just needed some time to... breathe by myself."

"That bad?" he waited until Lindsay looked at him and she sighed.

"It's just... everything's happened so fast. One minute, I'm in Areiv's room, accepting his proposal of courtship and then, bam! I'm ruler of a whole fucking galaxy! I... I have an army. I take orders, not give them; how do I lead them...?"

"Okay, I'm gonna stop you before you really start to panic..."

"Do you think I moved on too soon?"

"Ah... well... Lizzie, you know I'm gonna be biased with my answer on that one," he kept his smile and Lindsay let out a laugh. "But, I'm gonna be a friend here and remind you that it's a bit too late to back out of it, now. You're having second thoughts about this?"

"Just on the whole ruling part. It was fine when I thought that it would be Areiv's job."

"Well... maybe he knows how nervous this makes you. He'll help you, Lizzie. I highly doubt they'll throw you to the wolves like that. And then, you got someone who's ruled before to help out. What, Emuh has to move out because he's not Royal Magistrate anymore?"

"... Oh. I forgot about Emuh. No; I think he's been downgraded to the royal court. I'm not sure. He did say I would make a fine Lady of Esperia. I'm sorry; I think it's my nerves making me panic like this."

"That's a sure bet." Bradley chuckled and squeezed Lindsay's shoulder. She let out a heavy sigh and relaxed.

"Brad, for what it's worth... I'm glad you decided to show up. It would've hurt me if you didn't."

"I know. I had to stop making it a habit of hurting you..."

"You didn't hurt me, Brad; you pissed me off."

"Same difference, right?"

"Why am I surrounded by smart asses?" Lindsay laughed. She looked at him and remembered the conversation she had with Areiv earlier. "I wanna ask you something."

"Alright."

"... Could you not hold a grudge against Areiv?"

"Lizzie..."

"I understand you like me and was jealous, but we agreed to continue to be friends. And, Areiv doesn't have anything against you."

"Lizzie, this ain't a movie. I can't just stop holding a grudge all because you ask me to, friend or not."

"Wow. So, you lied."

"I did what...?"

"You lied to me. You told me that as long as I was happy, things were fine. He makes me happy, Brad." Lindsay pointed out. Bradley removed his hand from her shoulder and sighed.

"I am happy for you, Lizzie, trust me; I am. But that don't mean I gotta like the guy who makes you happy. Of course, I still want to be your friend but... does that mean I gotta be friends with Areiv, too?"

"It makes him uncomfortable that you're not."

"Good; the feeling's mutual!" Bradley huffed out and Lindsay widened her eyes at him.

"You know, as shitty as you've been towards him, Areiv still tries to be civil with you!" she fumed. At first, Bradley was glad Areiv seemed uncomfortable in his presence; it served him right for wooing Lindsay away.

Then, after listening to what she said, he realized it wasn't anyone else's fault but his own. He should've told her how he felt from the beginning, even when she was married and he was struggling to sort his feelings out for himself. It was possible she would've still been on Buno with him. There were so many ways he could've went about telling her, subtle or not but Bradley chose to keep his mouth shut. It was the fact Areiv did what he should've that made Bradley show disdain towards the Esperian.

When Lindsay stopped looking at him, Bradley sighed.

"Damnit... I'm sorry, Lizzie. I'll try, okay? I can't help being jealous." he tried to negotiate and Lindsay hugged him.

"That's all I ask for. Well... you apologizing to him for-"

"Not happening, Lizzie!"

"You owe him one for what you said to him today."

"What? I didn't say anything bad t-"

"You threatened him to keep me happy!"

"No, I didn't. I said your happiness was priority. He was the smart ass to me!"

"Okay, Bradley; whatever. He thought it was hostile. Would you apologize? Or at least tell him that you weren't trying to threaten him?"

"You're gonna force me...?"

"Heey... I could force you, now..."

"Damnit!"

"But, I won't! Just guilt trip you into it. Because if you're my friend and you love me, you'd do it," Lindsay tried. Her words made Bradley freeze up as his face reddened; he released the hug and looked away from her. Lindsay took notice and her eyes widened. "Wait, what...? Oh, my God..."

"Lindsay..."

"Oh... my, God; he was right."

"P-Please... stop looking at me like that. It's hard enough that I think I feel that way about you without you-"

"You... think?"

"Truth is: I don't know how I feel. I really want to be your friend; it's how we started, right? And I do want to see you happy. It's just... I dunno. I have a hard time being nice to a guy who... who has the girl I wanted. And I don't know if that means that I love you... like that."

"Are you... in love with me?"

"... Maybe. I dunno. All I know is that I really like you and I should've told you a while back but it's too late, now. And that..."

"Lady Lindsay!" Reyarts' voice echoed towards the gazebo. Lindsay and Bradley turned to watch the short Esperian move towards them with two guards. Before either could say a word, the guards seized Bradley and yanked him away from Lindsay.

"H-Hey!"

"Wait, what are you do... stop!" Lindsay shocked herself as she raised her voice. The guards stopped in their tracks and stared at Lindsay. She peered at Reyarts, who studied her nervously. "What's going on?"

"We searched for you throughout the palace and could not find you. Please forgive me, your highness but you cannot wander off without notifying anyone of your whereabouts."

"And you can't just have them snatch people up like that. If you two don't release him at once, I will have both of your asses! And you might not know what that means but let me tell you, it ain't a good thing!" Lindsay glared at the guards. The two released Bradley and kneeled with their heads down.

"H-He is not permitted here, my grace..." Reyarts tried but glanced down when Lindsay focused her glare on him.

"Then, they'll escort him back politely; there's no need to manhandle him!"

"Y-Yes, m'lady. I b-beg your forgiveness h-however... the Royal Magistrate is most distressed of your whereabouts." he stuttered and Lindsay huffed.

"Lizzie... it's fine. I'll go back to the party." Bradley said and walked off along with the guards.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Stellar By ky_b535

Science Fiction

141 15 12
A young space cadet aboard a ship in orbit of a distant galaxy finds out a hidden truth about the planet they plan to research and set foot on that m...
200K 23.1K 122
War looms on the horizon... After the colonization of Mars and Europa, it took us fewer than five generations to reach beyond our solar system and d...
0 0 8
Matt comes face to face with an alien space race feeding off of the memories of unsuspecting humans. His quest for survival takes an unexpected turn...
Migira By Yuki Feline

Science Fiction

113 1 15
Princess Star from a planet fat away called Migira is shot into space and sent to earth on her wedding day. Instead of trying to find a way back home...