Beyond the Milky Way

By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

A group gathers after receiving an official letter from the president of the United States. Their purpose? Be... More

Disclaimers and the Like
1.1: Lindsay
1.2: Bradley
1.3: The Team
2.1: Area 51
2.2: The Assessment
3.1: Buno
3.2: The Welcome Feast
3.3: Practice
4.1: The Spa
4.2: Breakfast
4.3: The Legoomian Recital
5.1: Queen of Buno
5.2: Family Matters
5.3: Bunodic Ruins
6.1: Phone Home
6.2: The Race
7.1: Impossible is Nothing
8.1: The End of the World
8.2: Survival
8.3: Goodbye
9.1: The Rerecro
9.2: Secrets
10.1: Father Figure
10.2: The Courtship
11.1: The Mating Ritual
11.2: Pheromones
11.3: Solitude
12.1: The Closing Ceremony
12.2: Esperia
13.1: The Esperian Union
13.2: Coronation
13.3: Forgiveness
14.1: A Surprise Development
14.2: The Esperian Child
Preview of Lady of Esperia

12.3: A Realization

32 3 0
By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

Lindsay forced herself not to reveal her amusement as the group went inside the palace. Everything appeared made from the same crystal as the outside, even the floor as everyone's reflection was visible. She gaped at the ceiling which gave the same reflection as the floor except for the massive chandelier that shimmered and changed various shades, like the Esperian gems she admired. Ahead was a broad staircase where the entire Earth team could walk up, side-by-side with no problems. Emuh and Reyarts started for the left hallway before reaching the steps and the Royal Magistrate gave Lindsay's attendants a smile.

"Please make certain that m'lady is not late for the feast this evening."

"You, too...?" Lindsay mumbled as Areiv chuckled.

"Yes, your majesty," Asi answered as both bowed. "If you will follow us..." Asi carried on, and they ascended the stairs. Areiv kept Lindsay's hand in his as they followed, causing Emuh and Reyarts to offer him curious looks.

"Baron..."

"I shall return in a moment." Areiv rushed as they made a right into a corridor. The four went inside an area that Lindsay assumed would be a bedroom. She was taken by surprise to observe other Esperian women bustling about; they eyed Areiv but bowed.

"This is the dressing area for the Lady of Esperia. It houses all her gowns for any occasion." Noin explained.

"So, I take it that the Baron isn't supposed to be in here?" she noticed the looks they gave him.

"I am permitted anywhere within the palace."

"While that might be true, I think you're supposed to be somewhere else right now..." Lindsay teased and beamed. Areiv sighed but returned the smile, grabbing both her hands.

"I do not wish you to be uncomfortable around the attendants. If you would rather for me to stay..."

"I think you just want to see me naked!" she teased once more, causing Noin and Asi to giggle. Lindsay laughed along with them despite the embarrassed glance she received from Areiv. "I'll be fine, I promise. Now, go and do what you need to do and I'll see you at the feast. You know someone will have to stop Emuh from going overboard..." she smirked and Areiv gave her a level face.

"You are correct. I shall see you at the feast, my love." he gave her a light smile before leaning in for a lingering kiss. The servants gave him a bow as he left and Lindsay turned to them. Asi and Noin appeared to flush and kept their heads down.

"F-Forgive us for that outburst." Asi started. Lindsay gave her a look.

"What? Oh... for God's sake; get up! It was perfectly normal to laugh at something like that," she smiled as the two Esperian women arose and gazed at her. "So... can I ask for a favor?"

"Anything m'lady demands..." Noin answered but Lindsay shook her head.

"That's just it; I don't want to 'demand' anything from you or anyone here. I've noticed that Esperians are really courteous and all that. But... could you just... not be so formal around me?" she asked. The women gave out gasps and eyed her.

"O-Oh. The Royal Magistrate and the Baron will not allow for attendants to disrespect m'lady..." Noin mumbled and Asi nodded in agreement.

"Oh, where I'm from there's plenty of ways to be respectful without being so formal! Please; I don't deserve it. I'm not... royalty." her words made the women gasp once more.

"You are in courtship with the Baron, m'lady. He will become Royal Magistrate soon and you will become Lady of Esperia; that is indeed royalty and we are to regard you as such." Noin explained. Lindsay opened her mouth but Asi grasped her arm, leading her to the middle of the room.

"Do not trouble yourself over such concerns, m'lady. We have to record measurements for your gowns, now; the previous Lady of Esperia was... much taller than yourself." she decided to change the subject. Lindsay sighed but smiled as she approached the other Esperian women waiting on her, one with a measuring tape and the other with a notepad. She looked down at her own body and shrugged.

"She was probably thinner, too! Oh... what?" she noticed that the women eyed her funny.

"... M'lady must undress... to make certain the measurements are exact." Asi stated. Lindsay hesitated before removing her tank top and jeans and a navy-blue attendant folded her clothes. As she was measured every which way, Noin left the area through another door and returned as the last of her measurements were called out in Esperian. Lindsay refrained from rolling her eyes as the woman bowed.

"Your bath is ready, m'lady."

"A bath? You're... not gonna bathe me, too... are you?"

"The bathing waters do so naturally. We are simply to draw your bath and cleanse your hair if desired."

"Oh..." Lindsay gave a pleasant smirk towards Noin; it had been quite some time since she had anyone else wash her hair. She followed the woman into the next room, which contained a small pool filled with glowing pink liquid. Lindsay kneeled and placed her hand in the water, which was the perfect temperature for her. She was surprised by the tingling sensation and removed her hand. Asi joined the two and saw her abrupt hand withdrawal.

"Is the water not to your liking, m'lady? We have done considerable research on human beings." she asked but Lindsay nodded.

"Sorry. We don't have self-cleansing waters on Earth. Wasn't expecting to feel that," she laughed and drew in her surroundings. "Why is it so huge? This can't be just for the Lady of Esperia, alone!"

"It is not, m'lady. This is the common bathing area however due to its proximity to the gown area, the Lady of Esperia has used this room whenever she desired."

"No one but her personal attendants are allowed here when she bathes." Noin explained further. Lindsay nodded and saw they anticipated her next move. She looked and realized that she was still in her underwear and removed them blushing. Stepping nearer, Lindsay noted that there was a curved dip and realized that was where she would lay her head; Noin sat on the tile behind it, ready to wash her hair. Asi helped her descend into the water and she laid back, allowing the waters to engulf her. Lindsay giggled and shifted as they tingled all over her body and hair; the longer she lay, the more she sensed the waters cleansing her. Noin undid Lindsay's ponytail and gently rinsed her hair. She moaned at the sensation, surprising both Esperian women.

"Sorry! That was a good sound!"

"Ah. You are pleased, m'lady?" Noin asked and Lindsay smirked.

"Very..." she relaxed as Noin continued rinsing her hair. Lindsay reflected back to the events of the day and before her setting foot on Esperia. She couldn't believe she would become Lady of Esperia, ruling alongside Baron Areiv. Royal Magistrate Areiv, she corrected herself. Everything happened so fast; Lindsay wondered how the former Lady of Esperia accepted it, if she was also rushed into becoming royalty.

The thought lingered in her mind. Neither Emuh nor Areiv ever mentioned a single thing about the last Lady of Esperia. Lindsay assumed that she passed away, but that was all she could guess.

"Noin?"

"Yes, m'lady?"

"Were you and Asi the attendants for the former Lady of Esperia?"

"... Yes..." Asi answered.

"How was she? I mean, what happened to her?" Lindsay wanted to know. The only time Areiv mentioned anything of her was when Lindsay received the Rerecro during the past holiday. She didn't want to pry and ask him, especially when he said nothing more about her.

Lindsay knew she hit some kind of nerve within the two as she noticed Noin stopped washing her hair. A few moments later, she continued. "... I'm not supposed to ask about her, am I?"

"... We were simply astonished that the Baron has never spoken of her to you, m'lady."

"I guess... I never wanted to ask until now."

"Lady Oerh was a lovely Lady of Esperia. She was valiant and uncompromising. However, her love for the Baron was rather apparent. There was high regard for her during her reign." Asi stated.

"So... wait, you said her reign...?"

"Yes."

"... Her reign..."

"... M'lady, who do you believe rules Esperia and the Ecilavi galaxy?"

"... The Royal Magistrate!"

"No, m'lady. It is the Lady of Esperia." Asi gave her an easy smile. Lindsay couldn't respond for a moment; she settled in the water, going over what they revealed to her. It wouldn't be herself and Areiv ruling the galaxy but... herself.

"The Esperian women... are in majority here, aren't they?" she remembered the guards she saw on the route to the palace; all were female.

"It is true that most hold important positions; your regiment will be composed largely of female Esperians. Any Esperian can be born a warrior whether male or female. However, the sergeant-at-arms has always been female; the two of you will command the Esperian army."

"I'll... have an army..." Lindsay reflected back to the Rerecro. It wasn't a mere symbol of courage but the Lady of Esperia's battle sword. "So, there are wars here."

"Not since the death of Lady Oerh. She... suffered injuries in our last conflict, a surprise attack." Asi explained, her eyes dropping to the floor. Lindsay swallowed the lump caught in her throat.

"Areiv must've been devastated..."

"Indeed, he was, as were the rest of Esperia. A good thing he was an annual span away from enlisting into the army; he would have been by Lady Oerh when she was attacked if not a close observer to her demise."

"... Wow. Did he... act out afterwards?"

"I do not understand, m'lady."

"Was he rebellious? On Earth, depending on how close you are to your parents, for them to die when you're young, most kids do things they usually wouldn't."

"Ah. The Baron became terribly distraught over the loss of Lady Oerh. He did not smile or show amusement. He also did not enlist as required the following span and therefore forced to participate in the Great Buno Races. He did not take well to it; for quite some time, the Royal Magistrate and himself did not speak to one another. His demeanor took a turn for the worse, to where we were concerned the Baron would not find someone to mate with in time."

"He eventually spoke to the Royal Magistrate once more. We still dreaded that he would not mate; he declined outings regularly. Then, news spread of his outings with you. We were... hopeful. We were most pleased with the discovery of your courtship; we had not seen the Baron this elated in many spans."

"A true blessing, indeed!" Asi nearly smiled but caught herself and bowed. Lindsay had no words to express and laid in silence, grinning to herself.

"Forgive us, m'lady; we have devoted enough time here. Your gown for the feast should be prepared by now; the Royal Magistrate does not wish you tardy." Noin announced as she lifted Lindsay's head. She covered her dreadlocks in a towel that felt like silk as Asi offered her a larger one to wrap around her body. Whereas the water tingled, the towels appeared to warm her.

"But... we've only been in here for a few minutes. My gown is already ready...?"

"If it pleases m'lady, the attendants can alter all the gowns while you dine."

"O-oh. You're not allowed to attend the feast? What will you eat?"

"Attendants cannot take part in this feast. Worry not, m'lady; we shall eat later."

"... I don't want you guys starving yourselves over some dresses. I'd rather for you to eat first and then you can go back and alter dresses to your heart's content!" Lindsay glanced at Asi who appeared to blush. She was about to bow until Lindsay placed a hand on her shoulder and sighed. "Stop bowing! Please?"

"... B-But... the Royal Magistrate and the Baron will not toler-"

"I can handle those two. You don't have to bow to me after every little thing. Do I have to demand it?" she stared at both Esperians who remained fixed in their places. "Fine! Whenever you are in my presence, I demand that you not bow to me every two seconds! Okay?"

"Y-Yes, m'lady..." Noin struggled to keep herself from bowing and Lindsay smirked.

"Since I can't stop anyone from calling me that, I'll settle on cutting down on all this bowing stuff!"

Her attendants accompanied her back into the other room where a brilliant emerald gown awaited her. Lindsay was seated in a chair as Noin unwrapped the towel and tended to her dry dreadlocks.

"We do not have the components to fashion your hair properly but will do the best we can." Noin explained as she twisted and pinned her locks upward. With Asi's support, Noin styled Lindsay's hair in no time and they helped her into the gown. Lindsay stared in the mirror, admiring the gown's perfect fit. The v-cut was snug and deep enough to allow only a modest notice to her cleavage but cleverly slack around her stomach. The sleeves almost concealed her hands and the silver hems dusted the floor, making Lindsay wonder if there was any need for shoes. Noin and Asi had woven her dreadlocks into a crown that rested around her head, and Noin wrapped a silver-wired tiara dressed in emerald-colored Esperian gems around her hair as Lindsay smiled. She turned to face her attendants, who bowed except for Noin and Asi.

"M'lady is as charming as Lady Oerh. We doubt not you remain just as pleased as we are." Asi couldn't help herself as she gave a quick bow.

Her main attendants escorted Lindsay out the room and the three moved their way to the stairs. Reyarts waited at the bottom and Lindsay quickly turned to the Esperian women.

"Is anything the matter, m'lady?"

"When we were talking about Lady Oerh. Esperia seems so peaceful; who would've attacked?"

"Lady Oerh was struck by General Ehsa..." Noin responded softly. Lindsay gasped before narrowing her eyes at the name.

"Qees. I should've known!"

"Please, do not let what we spoke damper your mood," Asi rushed. "Unless you, yourself will it, no Qees can step foot on Esperia." she said. Lindsay gave a heavy sigh but nodded at her.

"Thank you, Asi and Noin." Lindsay approached Reyarts, who stared at her in awe. He gave her a bow and ushered her to the main dining section. Before he opened the doors, he gazed at her.

"... Forgive me, m'lady."

"What's wrong?"

"You are... most lovely this evening. I understand why the Baron is enchanted with you." he surprised her. Lindsay smiled to keep from blushing.

"Thank you, Reyarts. Will you... escort me all the way to where I'm sitting...?"

"It is my duty, m'lady." Reyarts mentioned just as he opened the doors. Esperians filled the room; straight ahead were Emuh and Areiv at their lone table. On cue, everyone stood and looked at Lindsay.

"O-Oh... my..." Areiv thought he murmured his approval but Emuh smiled.

"Asi and Noin have brought about a most remarkable job even though... Lindsay is a lovely creature, already."

"Y-Yes... indeed..." Areiv gave her an encouraging smile. Although Reyarts escorted her, Lindsay felt as though she drifted towards the two royal Esperians. As she passed, the other Esperians bowed; while Lindsay wanted to roll her eyes, she glanced and examined each Esperian instead. She noticed, like traveling through the regions of Dentales, the royal Esperians were various sizes and tones of blue. She saw that they were tall and lean except for Reyarts, who was as short as she was. Each had distinctive qualities that separated them from each other but all the Esperians shared the small onyx eyes. They were humanoid in their facial features but, Emuh and Areiv carried the trait stronger than the others.

Reyarts and Lindsay made their way to the back, and he pulled a chair out for her beside Areiv. He bowed deeply towards the three and glanced towards the crowd.

"Let us welcome home the Royal Magistrate, the Baron and m'lady Lindsay." he announced, and the room applauded. Areiv looked at Lindsay with approval as her cheeks ached from embarrassment.

"I anticipated this moment all evening however... I underestimated how lovely you truly are, my dear Lindsay." he couldn't contain himself much longer. Lindsay blushed harder as he gestured her to sit.

"Why... thank you, Baron." she smiled.

"I never understood your persistence of calling me by my title."

"You like hearing me say it..." her smile widened when he appeared to blush and looked elsewhere.

"You are... correct..."

Emuh placed his hands up and the crowd grew silent.

"Thank you, my Esperians. It was a great pleasure for my son and myself to participate in the Great Buno Races this season. It is with slight regret we did not return victorious however I anticipated the Earth team performing to the best of their ability. Nevertheless, it is reason for celebration! In seven evenings, my son will mate with the earthling, Lindsay and the two will become your new Lady of Esperia and Royal Magistrate. Please accompany me in honoring this glorious event!" Emuh announced and everyone applauded once more. Lindsay looked towards Emuh as he sat with confusion in her eyes.

"Seven evenings...?" her brow furrowed before she widened her eyes. "Do you mean, days? We're getting married in seven days?!"

"My reign as Royal Magistrate will expire in that time span. The new Royal Magistrate must be mated to the one he is in courtship with before he can become Royal Magistrate. This is especially so in our situation where there is no Lady of Esperia." he made an effort to explain. Lindsay stared at him for a while.

"What would've happened if Areiv didn't find a mate in time?"

"... One would be selected by the royal court. One would argue that my son would be just fine ruling on his own. However, that procedure is older than myself... and I rather preferred he found a mate." he gave her a smile and patted her hand.

"It appears she wishes not to mate with me, father. Lindsay has... cold shoulders." Areiv glanced over at the two. Lindsay's brow furrowed before she gave out a snort.

"That's cold feet, not shoulders. And, don't start with that, again! It's just that... I thought the courtship had to last a year?"

"In ordinary circumstances, it does. As we both realize, this is not a common situation." Areiv said as he grasped her hand and kissed it. Lindsay sighed and gave him a grin. She knew Emuh mentioned she would become Lady of Esperia sooner than she expected but she never guessed it to be within a week of arriving on Esperia. As the dishes arrived, she thought on how the Earth team would react. They're not gonna be happy, she told herself as she stuffed her face with ortinu.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

0 0 1
Humanity's quest for the horizon is neverending, taking them to the very depths of space. Advanced technology leads to the impossible becoming normal...
Stellar By ky_b535

Science Fiction

141 15 12
A young space cadet aboard a ship in orbit of a distant galaxy finds out a hidden truth about the planet they plan to research and set foot on that m...
1.3K 291 26
The Cruise is Over Haylee was more confident designing starships than raising an autistic child. Now she just wants a relaxing vacation with her fami...
109 29 50
Embark on a thrilling odyssey across the cosmos with Captain Elena Ramirez and her intrepid crew aboard the interstellar vessel Stellar Voyager. In a...