Beyond the Milky Way

By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

A group gathers after receiving an official letter from the president of the United States. Their purpose? Be... More

Disclaimers and the Like
1.1: Lindsay
1.2: Bradley
1.3: The Team
2.1: Area 51
2.2: The Assessment
3.1: Buno
3.2: The Welcome Feast
3.3: Practice
4.1: The Spa
4.2: Breakfast
4.3: The Legoomian Recital
5.1: Queen of Buno
5.2: Family Matters
5.3: Bunodic Ruins
6.1: Phone Home
6.2: The Race
7.1: Impossible is Nothing
8.1: The End of the World
8.2: Survival
8.3: Goodbye
9.2: Secrets
10.1: Father Figure
10.2: The Courtship
11.1: The Mating Ritual
11.2: Pheromones
11.3: Solitude
12.1: The Closing Ceremony
12.2: Esperia
12.3: A Realization
13.1: The Esperian Union
13.2: Coronation
13.3: Forgiveness
14.1: A Surprise Development
14.2: The Esperian Child
Preview of Lady of Esperia

9.1: The Rerecro

34 4 0
By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

Something told her to open her eyes; Lindsay sensed that something wasn't normal. When she caved in to the feeling, she was staring into the mahogany eyes of her younger brother, and the shock of it caused Lindsay to jump and slip out of bed.

"Oh, my God; what the fuck is wrong with you?!"

"Oh, good; you're up!" William offered her a large grin as he made an effort to help her from the floor but received an angry swat. "You don't usually sleep this late..." he laughed.

"What...?" she shoved him out the way as he attempted to help her once more. Lindsay glanced at the clock on her nightstand. "Oh, fuck my life; I should've been up," she plopped on her bed and sunk her head in her hands. "That's all I need is for Keith to have a fucking aneurysm about me being lat-"

"What are you talking about...?"

"I got practice in like twenty minutes! Fuck, fuck, fuck... okay, I'll have to skip the shower..." Lindsay got up.

"Lizzie... it's Christmas!" William roared with laughter. His sister stopped in her tracks and gazed at him. Lindsay could make out the soft tones of Christmas music coming from the main room.

Over a year had passed since the Earth team moved their surviving family members to Buno. While the crew placed fifth in the Great Buno Races last season, this season was a different story. If they placed in the top ten for the remaining races, the Earth team would be crowned victors, overthrowing the reigning champion, Areiv.

Lindsay and David had to upgrade to the apartments on the top level of the housing building due to the size of their families; the others lived in their former quarters. With the Earth refugees, Buno made a special case where the Earth team kept their old rooms. The other earthlings were dispersed throughout the planet of Buno.

Lindsay made her way into the main room along with her brother and took in the unexpected invasion of holiday decorations. In the center of the room, a tall and bright Christmas tree greeted her, and underneath were wrapped gifts. Lindsay looked towards the kitchen area, where her mother and sister-in-law were cooking and both turned, giving her pleasant smiles.

"Merry Christmas!" Valerie wiped her hands. She wobbled her way towards her sister-in-law and gave her a hug. Valerie Ramsey was the main discussion of the planet; her baby would be the first human being born as a Bunodic in a few weeks.

"You guys did all this while I was sleep...? Damnit, I could've helped..."

"What? No; we wanted to surprise you!" Lindsay's mother called out from the kitchen area. "I couldn't talk Val out of it, anyway!"

"Our daughter's about to pop out and she's still as stubborn as a mule..." William pointed out, giving his wife a kiss. Valerie swatted at him.

"Get your brother!"

"Nah, he's right! Matter of fact, go sit down; I'll take over!" Lindsay said and made her way into the kitchen.

Lindsay didn't know what to say. The day had passed unceremoniously last year; the earthlings were still in mourning and attempting to settle on a new planet. Now, as she experienced nostalgia, Lindsay remembered how she missed the holiday. Her husband was never in a Christmas mood, no matter how much Lindsay decorated their home and sang Christmas songs. For the longest, she dreamed that there was something she could've done to get Tracy in that holiday spirit. As Lindsay washed dishes, she found it weird that was the main thing she missed about the holiday; Lindsay realized that she still missed Tracy, period.

As the day moved on, the rest of the Earth team and their family met in Lindsay's apartment to celebrate. Lindsay was struck dumb to see Keith, who everyone noticed treated her far better than last year. The two had their minor disputes but not as intense.

Everyone exchanged presents and relaxed, chatting and enjoying themselves. As she took a seat on the floor with her brother and Malik's daughter, Kristen, Lindsay realized what the others were doing: they were trying to lift her spirits. Lindsay took Tracy's death the hardest, to where she contemplated suicide more often than she liked to think. It was because of her depression that the Earth team forfeited their inaugural season. Lindsay felt terrible about it and constantly thought they held it against her. But as she glanced around her living area, she found the thought not true.

Lindsay stared at the door as somebody knocked. The woman wondered who else would mingle with them; everyone she knew was there, already. Her mother waved her off as she stood.

"Stay put; I got it..." she made her way to the entrance. The older woman greeted the Esperians and smiled. "Ah, good timing! We're about to eat."

"Oh, is it too late to give out presents?" Areiv asked. The Baron was content that the woman shook her head and allowed them in the apartment.

"Not at all! Lizzie'll appreciate it. You know, she really needed this; it's been a while since I've seen her truly happy." Lindsay's mother peered over at Lindsay and William. Lindsay's face glowed as she got up to greet her new guests.

"You know, I'm surprised they weren't the first ones here..." Steve teased.

"Areiv, Emuh! Were you two in on this...?"

"I must acknowledge that we knew of the festivities. Your mother wished to put you in greater spirits. She described the Christmas holiday and celebration in deeper details. Most fascinating holiday! I could not wait for the day to arrive! I did not know what to gift you, however my son revealed that you revel in a particular Esperian sauce..." Emuh gave Lindsay a smile as he gave the woman a long container. Lindsay's eyes widened in delight.

"Dworl! And lots of it!" the woman scanned the container.

"I requested the royal chef to prepare a delightful portion of dworl accompanied with ortinu, a wild animal on Esperia used largely for royal feasts. I have not had the pleasure of sampling all your Earth foods, yet it may remind you of your... sheep...?" the Royal Magistrate tried. Lindsay gave him a bemused expression before breaking into laughter.

"Maybe you meant lamb! And, you didn't have to go through all that trouble..."

"It was no inconvenience at all. You have been more than cordial to my son and me. Lamb, you say? Is that not the child?" Emuh was stopped from probing more as he noticed Areiv giving him a glance. "I apologize. It appears that I have neglected that my son bears a gift for you as well. Did you mention you were about to dine...?" the Royal Magistrate's concern moved towards the kitchen area and the elder alien left. Lindsay laughed more and then grinned at Areiv.

"Thanks for trying to make me feel better."

"As I have mentioned innumerable times, we are friends. And I will ever be here for you, Lindsay. Please excuse my father; he is particularly eager for celebrations and feasts."

"I see! It's fine; I like that."

"He is moreover taken aback by my selection of a present to you." Areiv continued as Lindsay led him further into the room.

"Oh. I mean, if it's gonna cause any problems then take it back. Everyone being here and doing this has been more than enough for me!"

"I am afraid that I cannot. Well... possibly I could however, I will not," Areiv gave Lindsay a smile as he removed a long silk pouch from his back. "Father is merely... surprised by my decision. I will confess that I was rather concerned when I arrived to the conclusion however... well... I shall explain after you open it." the Baron handed Lindsay the bag. The woman threw him a baffled glance but looked inside the sack, gasping.

"Areiv! Wait... is this what I think it is...?" she asked as she removed the sword out of the bag. Lindsay knew Areiv didn't have to respond; the weapon she held in her hand was the very one she had during the recital. It didn't radiate with the warmth she felt during the tale but it undeniably was the same sword, with its large hilt and thin silver blade.

"Oh... that's a nice piece of equipment he gave her..." David concluded, along with the rest of the group. Bradley narrowed his eyes at the weapon.

"Don't you think that's the last thing she needs is a sword...?" he grumbled but couldn't help recalling her outburst of fury over a year ago. Although the menace was thrown out, the man wasn't overly fond of Lindsay having a genuine weapon on her. Lindsay simply stared at Areiv.

"Did you... have someone make the sword from the recital for me...?"

"No. This sword is an Esperian combat weapon, the Rerecro. Only one was forged in the history of my people, which has been in our family for eons. Only a worthy warrior may wield this sword." Areiv explained proudly.

"O-Oh. I ain't no true warri-"

"Do not permit my son to disregard further details. This is likewise the sword the Lady of Esperia carries..." Emuh stood beside Lindsay, carrying a plate of food.

"F-Father..." Areiv warned but flushed. Emuh's remarks were enough for everyone in the room to gape at the two Esperians, including Lindsay.

"Did he just say the Lady of Esperia carries that sword...?!" Steve stared.

"W-W-W-W-Wait... are you... Areiv, is this your way of asking me to-"

"The Lady of Esperia has consistently represented a symbol of defiance; an honorable warrior with empathy. My mother represented this quite successfully, to my knowledge. I simply... decided to break tradition and pass the sword to you. You represent those qualities rather well, Lindsay."

"I... I do...?"

"Oh, very much so! His declaration to break tradition baffled me, indeed. However, who he appointed to carry the Rerecro... did not." Emuh explained with a pleasing look. Lindsay blushed as she continued to examine the sword.

"I... can't... take this..."

"You will not receive my gift...?"

"Oh, for God's sake, Lizzie; why do you like to do that to him?! Take the damn sword!" Malik laughed. Lindsay's entire body flushed as she glared at the man before turning back to Areiv.

"Sorry. It's gorgeous, Areiv. T-Thank you. I won't let nothing happen to it."

"You had me concerned for an instant. I am glad you accept the sword. Now, if you do not object: I would wish to learn more of this holiday..."

David and his family were the last humans to leave, giving Lindsay goodbye hugs. The woman turned to face Areiv; the alien smiled as he approached her, cupped her hands and lightly bowed.

"I have enjoyed myself today. It pleases me to have you in finer spirits. However, I believe I should have departed with my father. You had a long day and I will allow you to rest with your family, now."

"Wait, Areiv... I was... I was wondering if... if you wanted to sit with me for a little while?" Lindsay tried, a blush rushing to her cheeks. Areiv gave her a bemused glance but followed the expression with a tender smile.

"You do not object? I will be delighted to; however, I do not desire to hold you up much longer." the Baron told her. Lindsay chuckled as she led him back into the main room.

"It's fine. It's kinda tradition for us to stay up later on holidays, unless you were the one who did all the work. They really outdid themselves..." Lindsay realized as she gazed at the Christmas tree. Without warning, she took a seat in front of the tree and looked at the random blinking bulbs. Areiv studied Lindsay for a moment before sitting close to her.

"Your family wished to make you feel better. It is the same with myself, of course. I rather see you with your smile and laughter." Areiv looked at her. Lindsay's whole body flushed at his confession, a small smile playing on her face.

"Why do you say such things...?"

"Because it is the truth. Did you find it offensive...?"

"... N-No..."

"That is good. While we are on the topic: I do trust I did not truly offend you with my gift."

"Oh! No! It was just... shocking. Cuz Emuh said that it belongs to the Lady of Esperia and all..."

"I see. That is why I did not address it after the recital. You were already indifferent of the performance; for me to admit that the sword you possessed was the very one granted to the Lady of Esperia..."

"Y-Yeah; that would've made me feel even worse about the whole thing!" Lindsay admitted, laughing.

"I did not wish to intimidate you. I was at a lack of words for a mere moment upon seeing it, myself. However, as the narrative progressed, it gave further insight. Even the Legooms believe you are more than deserving to wield the Rerecro. I apologize if it makes you uneasy."

"It doesn't. And, don't apologize for every little thing!" the woman smirked.

"Ah... I will attempt not to from this point onward. Although, it is simply in my character to be courteous. Lindsay... I have a question."

"Oh, okay; I'll try to answer it."

"You have explained to me everything I desired to understand about this Christmas festivity. I understand the purpose for the illuminated tree, the feast and the presents. However, there was one element I was most curious about and attempted to ask your brother. William informed me you had further understanding of this..." Areiv mentioned and showed her a small sprig of mistletoe. Lindsay's eyes widened as the blush returned, passing the alien a glance and a smirk.

"Y-Y-Y-You're kidding, right...?" Lindsay bit her lip to keep from laughing. Areiv gave her an odd gaze but looked back at the branch.

"I assure you I am not. Was your brother wrong in his assumption? What is this flower?"

"I'm gonna kill him..." she moaned, glaring daggers towards his room. "This is, um... it's called mistletoe."

"Mistletoe... what a unique name! Is it needed for decoration like the holly and poinsettia? William would not say..."

"Will... is a twit!"

"I'm sorry?"

"No; nothing! It's... awkward to explain what mistletoe does!"

"Really? How so? It is not for decoration, then?" the Baron asked. Lindsay let out her laugh.

"Oh, my God; okay, I can't pass up an opportunity like this! Hold it over your head." Lindsay ordered. Areiv gave her another strange expression, pausing before doing so.

"Like so...? So peculiar; how long do I pose like this?" the Baron wanted to know. Lindsay smiled as she leaned closer to the Esperian.

"Until someone does this..." the woman debated on where but ultimately gave the alien a gentle kiss on his lips. Areiv was stunned and gasped when he felt Lindsay's warm lips on his. Lindsay hadn't expected for the Baron to kiss her back but he did so, placing the mistletoe to the side and gently wrapping his arms around her. The movement made her break the kiss as she gave Areiv a flustered smile. "I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't mean t-"

"I do believe I am rather fond of this mistletoe flower! Are there any other flowers I need to learn of that will make you kiss me?" Areiv's enthusiasm made Lindsay unable to return to her usual tone but offered him a laugh.

"You... didn't mind that?"

"Not in the slightest! I have... waited for this occasion."

"W-What...? Wait... so, you haven't just been nice to me 'just cuz' this whole time?" Lindsay's eyes widened.

"Oh. You seem to have misunderstood. It is in my character to treat others with courtesy if they are deserving. I desired to treat you the same. However, as time passed, I yearned to care for you as... more. Did that help you understand? I am not experienced in communicating these types of feelings..." the Baron surprised her. No wonder William gave him mistletoe, Lindsay thought to herself. She gave Areiv a full laugh and shifted comfortably in his arms.

"You did good; I understand! As far as your question: all I need is for you to be willing to accept a kiss..."

"My dear Lindsay, I am more than willing! Oh... I did not intend to appear so enthused-"

"Be quiet, Baron and give me another kiss!" Lindsay smiled as she leaned in for another kiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265 53 33
In the near future, humans discover that the Earth is NOT the only inhabited planet. and that happens by a visit from the space, the UPO (the United...
11 5 6
A band of humans came together in order to protect the planet when no one else could. They struggled in the beginning, but eventually learned how to...
8 0 3
Lieutenant JG William (Bill) DeGeorge, starfighter pilot with a slight tendency to get into trouble...periodically. He is stranded on a planet his fl...
0 0 8
Matt comes face to face with an alien space race feeding off of the memories of unsuspecting humans. His quest for survival takes an unexpected turn...