Sedulous [1] - | J |

By flowerchild_04

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object..." ... More

Some things...before we dive in
• Cast •
[ Playlist ]
| Million Dollar Baby |
| Impostor |
| Miss Gotham City |
| Playboy |
| Insecurities |
| Losses |
| Explanations |
| Secrets |
| Stitches |
| Gotcha! |
| Losing Control |
| Fire & Gasoline |
| Regression |
| Restart |
| Cat Got Your Tongue? |
| Memories |
| Old Habits Die Hard |
| Twisted Fantasies |
| Dreams |
| Guilty As Charged |
| Electric |
| Sweet Talker |
| X's & O's |
|Epilouge I |
| Epilouge II |
• Thank You •
* a lil PSA *

| Burn |

1.8K 61 41
By flowerchild_04

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Wayne Enterprises was stocked top to bottom with scared citizens who were huddled together in fear. Huddled as if that would solve the chaotic situation at hand.

I was being held at gunpoint currently with Jim, Lucius, James, and the lovely Miranda Tate. This muddy situation occurred when James and I waltzed into the building, trying to figure out some way to disarm the supernova bomb that was currently under Gotham and hours from exploding.

I felt defeated both mentally and physically as I knelt before a group of Bane's mercenaries. The only thing to be heard were frantic whispers between people and screams here and there. I look over at James who hadn't said a word to me since I left the other night to meet my schizophrenic boy-toy at the docks.

"Hey..." I begin, pushing him lightly in the shoulder with a trying smile.

He looks at me with confliction, wearing a frown.

"Look, I know we've run out of apologies but I'm sorry. I'm just stubborn like you said, but I can handle myself. I make decisions on my own terms, and wish people would respect that. I never meant to hurt you along the way. Especially if we're dying in a few hours, I'd rather talk on deaf ears than not at all."

I see a small smirk on his features as he nods.

"You're not too bad, Veronica. I respect you, although not your decisions all the time. I accept your apology. I'm also an asshole, so I'm sorry too."

I nod and let out a big breath, not realizing I was holding it at all.

"I am so sorry, being the face of Wayne Enterprises and having this occur is horrible. I hope you could forgive-" Miranda begins sorrowfully but I cut her off.

I never liked her, she seemed off. Sneaky.

"—interestingly enough, though, you're not the face of Wayne Enterprises. I'm the heir of everything my father owns, so you are nothing to this company. I'll be the one worrying about the effects of this situation."

"Miss.Wayne, if I may—"

"No, Lucius. This is my father's legacy, be it wrong or right. I'll be held accountable for such actions." I spit and Miranda gives me a smug look, her damsel act melting away in seconds.

"I apologize for the misunderstanding, Miss.Wayne. I'm sure everything will be sorted accordingly." She replies curtly as a flock of armed men walk towards us.

"Get up, Wayne. Bane wants you alone."

I don't look up and I don't make a move.
In an instant, two men grab my arms forcefully. They begin dragging me up to my feet and James begins to shout in protest.

"Take me, come on! I'm GCPD-" He states and the men look at him scornfully.

"You'll get your sentence next." They spit as they push me roughly down the hall and away from the flock of shaking bodies.

"Any last words, beautiful?" One of them mock me as they laugh, their grip still very strong on my arm.

"Fuck you." I say, spitting in his face as the man pushes me forcefully into the door. It opens from the force of my body, causing me to lose my balance as I'm practically slammed to the polished granite floor in the next room.

My vision was splotchy, as I figured I hit my head. The men cackle over me, dragging me by my jacket along the floor the rest of the way. I focused on my black boots that scrapped across the floor, squeaking in an annoying manner as the voices I heard from above sounded like they were underwater.

"Did you see it? The bridge? That bat fucker is back."

I tried to shake my head, my hearing slowly returning. I blinked I'm quick succession, trying to clear my vision.

"They're rioting and Bane's gonna give 'em what they want."

I'm dragged to a balcony area that overlooked the lobby of the building. They throw me down and snicker as I am clearly disoriented.

"I wouldn't move if I were you, bitch."

I grab onto one of the bars, trying to sit up when one of the men step on my back. I scream loudly, the pain agonizing. I gasp for air, trying hard to get air into my lungs when I hear a familiar voice.

"Enough, gentleman. It seems you've fulfilled your duty." A deep voice breaks the atmosphere, the mans boot then leaving my back as I cried out.

"Bring me the girl. The men will be sentenced to exile, shortly."

"Her?" One of the men asks and Bane chuckles lightly.

"I'll take care of this. Don't you worry".

I crane my neck to look up at the brawny man, the mask on his face scarier up close.

"You are the last heir this city has to offer. You will be sacrificed, for all the wrong you put onto this city."

"What are you even rasping about?" I spit in short breaths, my body very incapable of working at the moment.

"You Wayne's ran Gotham like it was a business itself! Now, the citizens want what is rightfully theirs and that I will provide."

"You won't-you're not capable—"

"—capable? I haven't met a man who isn't capable. It is he who is most capable that takes a problem and solves it with dexterity. I am, Miss.Wayne, capable of anything."

"God, here we go again—" I grumble in pain as Bane picks me up, leaning my body against the balcony.

"Before you pay your sentence, I would like you to see what you've done to Gotham. Also, a show for you to watch, before you perish."

I grip onto his arm as he leans me back further, my nails clawing into his skin as I screamed in fear. The drop seemed to be about ten feet down and I honestly didn't want to know the exact height.

I was going to die.

"No—NO!" I shouted in protest as he glared at me angrily, his next words seeming very casual and scarily relaxed.

"Goodbye, Miss.Wayne."

With one firm push, I was jolted over the railing. I felt like I was floating in a sense, my sight on Bane as he stood tall on the level above me. I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt washing over me. Was I content with the life I lived? What was it all for? What could I have accomplished and done differently in the time span of my life? I couldn't think quick enough, as many memories flooded though my mind. It was like a movie that last three seconds, but I felt every emotion as if time stopped for a moment. Almost like it was allowing me to feel it all at a longer time.

Then, nothing.

-

I thought I was dead. Everything was quiet for a moment, until I slowly began to realize that my life was indeed not cut short. I could move, my head about the only thing I could maneuver side to side. I tried to shout out, but my voice seemed absent.

I then registered the loud gunshots and shouting from outside of the building, the clear glass windows showing a war going on outside. People began to enter the room and I tried to act like I was indeed dead.

"The bomb will detonate in one hour. Bane will kill Batman and all will be well." I hear Miranda Tate speak loudly.

I knew she was no good.

"Eh, what about priss over there? We moving her or what?" A man asks and I hear Miranda's heels click slowly over towards me.

"Move her closer. I want Batman to see his damage."

Then I'm being dragged along the floor, plopped into a different spot as I slowly open my eyes again.

The men have left and so has Miranda. I tried to move my body, a small amount of movement occurred but not enough. I thought I was truly on the verge of death when Bane crashes through the front glass doors, his heaving breathes disrupting the eerily calm space.

Then, walking over the broken glass—it couldn't be. Batman stood tall and strong, anger evident in his eyes and movements as he reached out for Bane, screaming at him and hitting him repeatedly. He hadn't even noticed my presence or the state I was currently in. I reached my arm out, trying to push myself forward when Bane spoke weakly.

"You will know...what breaks a man. You are hope to many people but to one, you are the provider. What will happen when you watch her die before you?"

Batman stops for a moment, seeming very confused until he finally recognized that he and Bane were not alone in their quarrel. My fathers eyes searched mine for some form of life before releasing a disgruntled gasp, his focus breaking from Bane. Bane then tackles him forcefully, slamming his body into the fountain like structure in the center of the room. The piece broke apart loudly, as Batman's body slunk down in its rubble with heaving breaths.

"Why would you do this? You escaped from misery. You know what it turns men into—you're the child of Rahs Al Ghul!" He shouts and I see Miranda quietly enter, kneeling before my weak father. I see a gleam of a knife before I finally find the energy to scream.

"He is not the child is Rahs Al Ghul. I am."

He shouts in agony, his hand moving to his side where Miranda's knife plunged deep into his skin. She seemed to turn the metal inside my father as he screamed from the torture. I couldn't watch, turning  away as tears steaming from my face. I couldn't focus on what she was saying as I was more focused on trying to stand and get moving.

The last thing I heard Miranda say was,

"The only crime he committed was loving me."

What a fucking disaster. Who would ever, ever in their right mind love someone as fucked up as Bane? I then refrained from further thoughts and judgement as I remembered a particular slashed smile and head of florescent green curls.

It seemed like forever before I shrugged away to the corner of the room, looking back at the horrid scene before me as Batman was left limp on the floor.

He locked eyes with mine. For a moment I debated on crawling over to him to help in any way I could, but that idea was quickly shot down when I saw him mouth "run". For the first time, I did. I limped away from the lobby and then down a hall before running into an unarmed man.

"What are you doing here!?" He questions before trying to apprehend me.

I never liked violence, but my father taught me a thing or two. I grabbed the man's hand and with all my might, I twisted his arm behind his back. I then brought my other arm around his neck where I squeezed as tightly as I could before he went limp before me. I let him fall to the ground as I smashed into the wall, trying to catch my breath. How did my father do this all the time?

I was indeed going to kill that bitch who stabbed (literally) my father in the back. I always seemed to have empty revenge plots, but her—her demise was set in stone. Then it hit me, out of nowhere I found my strength as I began to walk more steadily. I careened my way down the hall and to the elevator which would lead me underground.

When I make it, no one is around, which is a blessing. I carefully exit and hide behind one of the power surge boxes before Miranda enters with a bunch of men. Then, I almost lost it. My phone began to buzz. I quickly silenced it and looked over to the men who began to look around for the sound. I peeked at the message before refraining to slap my head in frustration.

"You better not be with Bane."

The men begin to load the bomb into the back of a huge army truck. The wall in front of the truck opens, revealing a road which probably leads to the main pathway above us. As everyone piles into the truck, I begin to move closer. I dodge the close encounters by seconds. When I make it to the truck, I grab onto the back ladder and brace myself for the speed as the truck drives off.

It isn't until we get on the main road when I start to panic. Someone was shooting at the van and many men began to fall off the truck. I look up to see the BatWing zooming over us and I curse loudly.

"Fucking shit! CAN'T YOU SEE ME?!"

Of course he couldn't hear, but it did lighten the mood due to its comical aspect. I climb up the ladder and see that on top of the moving van there was an opening. I slowly climb forward, gripping onto the handles as I went until I made my way to the opening. I looked down and saw no threat so I climbed in. Miranda was driving frantically and I took it as my chance. This bitch was dying, if I was in the van so be it. I reached forward and grabbed a fistful of her hair, making her yelp and swerve the van.

"Your father may have bought Gotham 11 minutes, but you can't stop what's to come—" she says, making me slam her head forward onto the wheel. I then hear a loud sound that resembled screeching tires and the honking of a truck horn, making me look to the right.

I almost lost it at the sight.

Joker held onto a bar inside of a semi truck, helping him balance as he swayed side to side in the open space. One arm held a very large rifle, his goons equipped with similar ones. They began shooting at the van and I ducked for cover. The semi came very close, allowing the van door to open. Joker's arm hastily grabs my leg as he tugs roughly, dragging me down the seat.

"Let go!" I scream, trying to kick him but he already latched onto my waist. His strong hands pulled me through the door of the van and into the semi truck.

I began hitting him forcefully in anger.

"Why would you do that! I was going to kill her! She needs to die!"

"She's doing it all on her own." He seethes as I watch the van speed quickly towards the highway. I look at Joker with bewilderment as he shouts for the semi to stop.

It does with a screeching halt, causing us both to shift. I almost fall, stumbling forward as Joker caught me just in time. He tugged my body to his for balance. I look at him clearly now, his face rid of any malice or anger as he looked back. His eyes were drawn down and his mouth curved into a soft smile.

"You've got a ride to catch." He whispers briefly, before I shake my head in confusion.

My breath was knocked out of me as Joker pushes me forward, anger boiling in me as betrayal enters my mind. It dissipates quickly once I realize I'm on the back of the famous Batman motorcycle, Catwoman's arms forcefully grabbing my slipping body as it crashed onto the back of the bike.

"Hold on, Princess." She shouted as I complied, my head turning back to see Joker leaning out of the semi. He still held on with one hand as he watched me jet away from him.

He...saved my life. How did he even know Selina Kyle? How was this even possible?

"I'm going to need you to focus, Wayne—" she shouts, as if she knew my mind was wandering. It was then that the van that held the bomb and Miranda Tate falls straight through the underpass, making me gasp.

We zoom under the highway, to the now open truck where Gordon and Batman stood. I didn't even think twice about Miranda being dead. That fall was too steep to survive. Catwoman leaps off the bike, grabbing a small device and quickly walking to the bomb where Gordon began shaking his head. I followed behind closely, picking up on the conversation.

"I can fly it out over the bay..." Batman begins, strapping the bomb rigorously to the cables of the aircraft. Catwoman is at his side as he works.

"Set it out to fly over the water, then eject?" She asks, but her face falls at his answer.

"No...autopilot."

"No!" I exclaim, walking to them both and turning to face him.

"You're not doing this, I won't let you." I spit and he looks away, Catwoman grabbing his arm.

"You could've gone anywhere, been anything; but you came back here—"

"—so did you."

"I guess we're both suckers." She says before putting her arms around his neck and kissing him.

Batman moves to the aircraft, Gordon alongside him as he enters the canopy. I am hot on both of their heels as I struggle to cope with what's about to happen.

"I never cared who you were—" Gordon begins before I step besides him, tears streaming down my face as I shook my head vigorously. I began heaving for oxygen as I gripped the ledge of the craft.

"—and you were right."

"But shouldn't people know the hero who saved them?" Gordon defends strongly and I shake my head, talking quickly.

"You can't do this. Not now. After everything, you need to be here. You can't leave me—" I cry and Batman grabs my hand, his eyes glossy.

"Veronica. There are things that must be done for the greater good and this is what must be done. A hero can be anyone. Even someone doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended. You know that, Ronnie. You are and will always be my greatest accomplishment."

The canopy closes then, making me step back quickly. I then reach out again, placing my hand flat on the glass of the aircraft. It was as if I were trying to be as close to the one thing that ever meant the world to me. I step back in finality once I hear the engine roar to life, the aircraft slowly raising. Gordon then stumbles besides me, letting out a surprised and utterly confused name as he stares up in bewilderment,

"Bruce Wayne?"

The plane rises and zooms out of tunnels mouth, leaving me staring forward into the dust left behind.

-

I didn't know what to feel anymore.

I wanted to desperately scream and maybe if I screamed loud enough, I'd hurt myself so badly that i might cause my own demise. I stared at my father's tombstone which sat snug in the lush green grass beside my late grandparent's with a heavy heart. I blinked slowly, not yet coming to terms with the situation at hand. Maybe if I did it, I wouldn't feel so empty.

My father died doing what he loved and as cliché as it sounds—it killed every ounce of him. It truly did. It seems as though I was living my life watching everything through a peephole. I wasn't sure how my life would be now that I didn't have my father and it really made me cherish every moment we shared even now more than ever. My father was now surrounded by the people he held close, the people that adored and respected him the most. I couldn't help the tears that slipped down my blank face as James reassuringly wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done..."

Gordon closes the book he was reading— A Tale of Two Cities; secretly one of my fathers favorite books while looking down at his grave.

"...It is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." I finished lowly along with him, smiling bittersweetly as I wipe away at my tear stained cheeks.

Lucius places a gentle hand on Alfred's shoulder, then leaves without another word. Gordon follows as I turn to James, who gives a trying smile while moving hair behind my ear.

"I'll wait for you. Take your time."

I nod solemnly as he follows Gordon. I turn my attention to Alfred, who has broke down in tears.

"Alfred—" I croak as he speaks to the graves besides my father's.

"I'm so sorry. I failed you. You trusted me and I failed you-" He sobs and I engulf him into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry." He cries into my shoulder as I cry on his. We were unable to hold this heavy, heavy burden no matter how hard we tried.

"This isn't your fault, Al. It's going to be okay." I try to convince him but he knew I couldn't even convince myself.

"In time. I promise, in time we'll be okay."

Alfred stayed behind as I made my way back to the front of the manor, Gordon and James now talking. They both look at me as Gordon gives a trying smile my way.

"They know...It was The Batman."

He nods politely at me before turning away and getting into his car, proceeding to drive away from the manor.  James turns to face me now, releasing a big breath.

"We need to talk."

"Yeah, we do." I reply casually and he cracks a smile.

"When you're ready. I'm in no rush."

"I know, but I think I'm as ready as I've ever been."

He nods and looks down for a moment before casting his gaze upon me again.

"Okay. Well for starters, I think I should let you know who I really am."

I tilt my head and scrunch my brows in confusion.

"What're you getting at?"

"My name—" he begins, placing his hands in his pockets.

"It's not John. It's not James, either. John was my fathers name and I just adopted it as a formality. Everyone's called me James since I was young so it stuck."

I shake my head, crossing my arms.

"Then what is it?"

He smirks at me and nods his head a few times, as if he's revealing his best kept secret.

"Robin. My name is Robin."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N:

OKAY IM NOT GONNA LIE I CRIED WRITING THIS AND IM GOING TO CRY WRITING THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS BECAUSE IM AN EMOTIONAL PERSON.

Fun Fact : I cried watching the ending of TDKR and do so every time I watch it
(yes, I'm a loser).

Sedulous will be closing very very soon.
I hope you all are still truly enjoying the story, it ultimately makes me work so much harder on these chapters.
So much love to you all & Merry Christmas !

❤️, A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 214 25
Harley Quinn has been captured, yet her boyfriend is still large. It's only been a few weeks, but she is already feeling the long effects of prison...
10.7K 625 31
In the two years following the gruesome attacks of the Riddler, Detective Jessica Kent's life was just beginning to get more difficult. Despite her o...
4.8K 176 17
A year ago her parents died, well... more like she killed them, but it was an accident...sort of. After a bad day, she gets herself sent to Arkham A...
13.8K 829 56
Moving to Gotham City was supposed to be the start of a new chapter for Holly Gordon, but soon she realizes there's no such thing as living a normal...