Between Us

By n0t_ur_babe

Taryn Sawyer, an always-late, "I don't care what they think", unknowingly beautiful seventeen-going-on-eighte... More

between us
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven

chapter four

808 24 4
By n0t_ur_babe

04

"This is pretty amazing," I comment, looking around. We're on a well known bridge just outside of town. It's a popular place here, but not so much when it's eight o'clock at night and dark. The street lamps are reflecting off the lake below us.

"Yeah. I like it better at night," Liam says. We sit with our legs dangling through the railing and over the edge of the bridge.

I grab a makeup wipe from the new package we bought at a convenience store on out way here, along with a six pack of beer and a party size bag of Cheetos. I start to wipe my second face off.

"You were there because Aaron's your step brother, right?" I say, already having to grab another wipe.

"Yup. Why were you there?" He asks, popping open a bottle of beer. Liam takes a sip.

"Whitney is my sister's best friend. I've known her since I was eight, because they became friends when they were eleven. I'm like her little sister, so she wanted me to be her bridesmaid," I explain, rubbing my eyelid with the wipe. It's almost completely covered like the first one.

"I see," he says, loosening his tie so it hangs low. "And don't tell anyone I bought you beer, okay? It's kind of illegal."

I smile. "As far as I'm concerned, you bought yourself beer and I snuck one."

Liam smiles. "Such a bad girl. Stealing beer."

I shrug, playing along. "What can I say?" I say nonchalantly. "I'm a delinquent."

He snorts. "I have a hard time believing that."

I think about it. "Yeah, I'm really not. Drinking on the weekends at parties is as far as my delinquency goes."

Liam laughs. "That's more believable."

I laugh too, and finish taking off my makeup. "Did I get it all?"

His eyes scan my face. "Yeah. Damn, they really caked that on, didn't they?"

I nod. "Yeah, I thought my real face was lost forever," I say. I grab a beer and pop the cap off, taking a swig from the bottle. The strong taste hits me right away.

Liam smiles and shakes his head, taking another drink. "You're a lot different than the Taryn I used to know," he says. "More fun, to be honest. You were so shy and quiet, you would never talk."

"Now you can't get me to shut up," I joke. "I don't know what happened. I got into high school and suddenly I was more outgoing and talkative. It's probably because my acne disappeared, I got my braces off, and I became fit from soccer."

"I never saw anything wrong with the way you looked," Liam says truthfully.

"Everyone says that," I say, taking another gulp of beer.

"But I mean it. You've always been pretty to me," he tells me. My heart almost stops and I definitely stop breathing.

"Really?" I force out, hoping I don't sound strangled.

"Yeah," Liam says. He opens the bag of Cheetos and grabs a few the puts them in his mouth.

I copy his actions, trying to focus on something other than what he just said. "Well, um, thanks," I say awkwardly.

Liam just laughs and drinks the rest of his beer. "You don't take compliments very well, do you?" He asks.

"What was your first clue?" I ask lightly.

"Maybe when you said, 'Well, um, thanks'," Liam says, making his voice high in his impression of me.

I almost spit my beer out. "I do not sound like that," I tell him.

"It sounded pretty damn close," he tells me.

"Not even in the same ballpark," I say, rolling my eyes. I drink the rest of my beer and open another.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," he says lazily.

I shiver as the cold wind nips at my skin, and I realize I'm only wearing a dress. "Here," he says. I feel his jacket drape over my shoulders.

"Thank you," I say gratefully. I put my arms through the sleeves and take another drink of my beer.

My phone rings beside me, and I see Beth's name across the screen. I pick it up and click 'answer'.

"Hey Beth," I say. "What's up?"

"Where are you?" She demands.

"Hanging out with Liam," I tell her. "Why?"

"Oh okay. I'm not mad at you then," Beth says. "So? Is he good?"

"Good at what?" I ask, confused. I take another sip.

"Sex."

This time I really do spit out my drink onto the bridge next to me. Liam looks at me like I'm crazy, but I ignore him.

"That's not what's happening, Beth! We're drinking beer and eating Cheetos on the bridge outside of town," I say. "Where the hell did you get that thought from?"

I can imagine her shrugging. "I dunno. You get more action than I do."

I blush a deep shade of embarrassment. "Let's not talk about that, okay? It's called privacy, look it up."

I hold my beer bottle to my cheek, trying cool them off. I look over at Liam, who mouths, What? to me. I shake my head and return back to my conversation.

"So what do you want, Beth?" I ask.

"Whitney was wondering where you went. Should I tell her you and Liam are hooking up?"

"Do it and I'll put Nair in your shampoo."

Beth laughs. "Okay, okay, I won't. I like my hair, thank you very much. What do I need to tell her?"

"Just say Liam took me home early because my ankle was hurting," I say. "And nothing more."

"Okay. Bye Tare-Bear!"

"Don't call me that!"

She's already hung up by the time I tell her that. I set my phone down and groan.

"What was that about?" Liam asks.

"Beth was making crazy assumptions, as usual. Nothing new," I say vaguely, leaving out all the...other parts.

He nods in understanding. "Gotcha."

It's silent for a moment before I ask him a question. "Why did you stop coming back here after you left for college?"

Liam shrugs. "I don't know. Got busy with school, I guess."

"Is this just a pit stop for you, then?" I ask, downing a little more beer. I can feel a slight buzz in my system, but I'm still fully aware of everything I do and say. I can hold my liquor, let me tell you.

"No, actually," he says, eating more Cheetos. "I just finished with college, so I'm staying with my mom until I find my own apartment, which will probably be soon because I have my eye on a place."

I look at him, surprised. "Really? I would have thought you'd leave this place the second you could. Like with college."

Liam shrugs, smiling a little. "I realized I didn't like being away as much as I thought I would. And who knows, maybe I will leave this place some day."

I run my hand over a ruffle on my dress. "I understand. So what's this place like? The one you're looking at?"

I try to keep him talking, because somewhere in my mind, I'm thinking, I love his voice. 

He looks out at the lake. "It's small, just a bedroom, a bathroom, a small kitchen and living room. It's nice, though. Downtown," Liam tells me.

I smile. "Sounds great. Do you have any plans now?"

Liam just laughs. "No, of course not. I'm a broke twenty-two-year-old living with his mom and step dad. I wanted to open a restaurant with a friend of mine, but neither of us have the money," he says. "What are your plans? For after high school?"

"Oh, I don't know," I say, looking up at the sky. "I guess college. I really want to be a labor and delivery nurse."

"That's sounds like you do know," Liam tells me. I shrug.

"I suppose."

Liam looks at his phone, and let's out a low whistle. "Damn, it's ten o'clock. We've been here for two hours."

"Shit," I say, laughing.

"I should probably take you home now," he says.

"Probably," I say.

"You know, you're pretty cool. I never got to know you very well when we were younger."

"I was a shy and introverted person. A lot of people never got to know me very well," I tell him, yawning.

"If it's okay with you, I'd like to get to know you more," Liam says. I raise an eyebrow at him.

"I thought you said you were too old for me," I say.

He rolls his eyes at me. "I never said it had to be romantic."

I smirk. "That's what they all say."

* * *

edited june 19, 2018

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51K 8.6K 66
නුඹ නිසා දැවුණි.....💙 නුඹෙන් මා නිවෙමි......💙
288K 7.2K 103
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
293K 7.8K 52
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
940K 49.9K 31
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...