Beyond the Milky Way

By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

A group gathers after receiving an official letter from the president of the United States. Their purpose? Be... More

Disclaimers and the Like
1.1: Lindsay
1.2: Bradley
1.3: The Team
2.1: Area 51
2.2: The Assessment
3.1: Buno
3.2: The Welcome Feast
3.3: Practice
4.1: The Spa
4.2: Breakfast
5.1: Queen of Buno
5.2: Family Matters
5.3: Bunodic Ruins
6.1: Phone Home
6.2: The Race
7.1: Impossible is Nothing
8.1: The End of the World
8.2: Survival
8.3: Goodbye
9.1: The Rerecro
9.2: Secrets
10.1: Father Figure
10.2: The Courtship
11.1: The Mating Ritual
11.2: Pheromones
11.3: Solitude
12.1: The Closing Ceremony
12.2: Esperia
12.3: A Realization
13.1: The Esperian Union
13.2: Coronation
13.3: Forgiveness
14.1: A Surprise Development
14.2: The Esperian Child
Preview of Lady of Esperia

4.3: The Legoomian Recital

31 4 0
By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

The Baron of Esperia had never been so uncertain about anything in his whole life span. Even as the days of his father's rule grew shorter, Areiv never showed much consideration about becoming the Royal Magistrate. Emuh groomed him to develop into one, so it didn't trouble him in the least. As with many situations in his life, it was something that needed doing.

Preparing for the recital gave him a strange sensation. He paused and questioned why he prepared with much more interest than normal. He realized how he pondered on which pieces would work best with one another. The thought of how Lindsay would react to his attire made him nervous. Never mind the fact there were other matters that occurred in his life span that should've caused him to feel the same.

He recalled how delighted his father would become whenever he spoke of the Earth team. Areiv noted his father's energy, notably so when he spoke of the human female with the Esperian heart. Emuh was positive that his son would become immediate friends with the woman. The Baron swore it was a mere press for him to get a mate; the thought of her being human confused him.

Yet, he was not prepared for the disposition she displayed the moment he laid eyes on her. The humans impressed him in general; for as long as he could recall, the Esperians knew only of the tales of them. To see a whole group in person was thrilling. The woman more so: even as she walked and examined her surroundings, Lindsay had a courteous aura about her. He was definitely surprised that not only did the male humans show their bravery towards General Ehsa, but she as well.

He didn't know how to feel about her, even as he stepped outside and noticed her standing alone. His father always had good judgment in individuals; Lindsay was no exception. Emuh wanted his son to make friends with the earthlings, regardless of the fact they would be his adversaries. He positioned himself to do just that but there was something about the woman he couldn't pinpoint.

Areiv paused a few feet before he approached and examined her. Lindsay stood by the fountain set up in front of the housing building. Areiv's research on human culture told him she wore casual Earth attire meant for the planet's warmer months: black Capri pants, an orange-striped blouse and black sandals. He paid particular care to Lindsay's shoes. The sandals donned a large orange and white flower that threatened to hide her toes. Lindsay's dreadlocks were so long, she often set them up in a bun. Areiv admired the way they tumbled past her shoulders, to the middle of the woman's back. A few strands were pulled into a ponytail but even those hung past her shoulders. The Baron would ask about the tiny silver ornaments that wrapped around random locks.

Lindsay turned to see if she would catch Areiv coming out of the building and reddened as they made eye contact. She offered him a smile and noted that the alien was not in one of his accustomed royal robes. The Esperian wore a majestic purple tunic with abstract Esperian designs embedded throughout. Lindsay also wasn't used to seeing him wearing slacks, which were a simple smoky gray.

"Oh... Lindsay, you look beautiful this evening." Areiv couldn't help himself. His remarks made Lindsay's cheeks ache deeper than expected.

"T-Thank you. I... didn't do anything special. But... you do, too," she stammered. When Areiv gave her a stunned expression, Lindsay shied away and cleared her throat. "I mean, not beautiful but... handsome."

"You cannot call me beautiful?"

"Well, I can. But, the word is more for a female than a male."

"I see. Not too many have called me beautiful. Well, usually those who are merely seeking to flatter me. Too many believe that I cannot hear. I know of their intentions. With you, however, I acknowledge that it is sincere."

"Oh?"

"Indeed. You have nothing to gain by flattering me. You already have your mate. Your words are meaningful to me... and I thank you." Areiv finished explaining. Lindsay nodded and smiled. He was right; she was simply being friendly to him. It calmed her mind all the better; the Esperian's intentions were the same.

"You're welcome. So... I'm not too casual, am I?" she couldn't help eyeing his attire. The Baron let out a small laugh.

"My dear Lindsay; this is my informal attire. So, to answer your inquiry: not at all. Shall we, then?" he bent a blue arm towards her. Areiv learned that it was an old-fashioned Earth custom, but he was glad it was a feature the two species shared. Lindsay nodded and wrapped her arm around his, flustered that he referred to her as "his dear Lindsay".

The two chatted as they made their way to the nearby outdoor amphitheater. The similarities amazed Lindsay as they found seats together. Areiv noticed her amusement and smiled.

"Do you attend recitals on Earth?"

"No, actually. Well, we call them concerts. I've only been to three in my life."

"That is unfortunate. No one should ever miss out on the finer qualities in this life span."

"No offense but with you being a Baron and royalty? You can afford to enjoy things like this on a daily basis!"

"Oh? Recitals on Earth require payment?"

"Most of them, yeah. Not to say the free ones aren't any good though. But, on Earth for the most part, you gotta pay for what we consider the 'finer qualities'."

"I see. So disappointing. There are few activities that call for payment in this galaxy. However, I understand being the Baron of Esperia has its advantages at moments." he agreed.

"I just bet! How many women wanted to join you tonight?"

"I am certain quite a few. However, none approached me. They normally do not. Is it customary for human females to approach the male in these circumstances?"

"I... I don't have an actual answer for that. Yes and no? It's one of our old-fashioned values that's stayed intact for the most part. Not too many of us are bold enough to ask a guy anywhere."

"That is the custom here. Can we come to an arrangement? I will make certain you always experience the finer qualities this galaxy offers whenever you are in my presence." the Baron surprised her. Lindsay shot a glance at him as her cheeks ached.

"Oh. Um... Areiv... you don't have to do that." she answered.

"It would please me greatly if I am able to do that for you. I certainly do not mind doing so. Is that improper of me? Why does it astonish you?"

"It's just... isn't there a single female species here who's more deserving of that?"

"Single?"

"Those without a mate."

"Ah. There may be. I have doubts they would be as sincere as yourself. The recital is about to begin; you are in for a delight this evening." Areiv decided although this was a relaxed gathering for the two, he had expressed too much. He was grateful for the sounds of the Legoom musicians warming up.

Lindsay tried to wait out the familiar ache in her cheeks; it didn't go unnoticed that the Baron changed the topic. She wouldn't pry any further and turned her attention towards the stage. The instruments were like Earth's versions of flutes and clarinets. From her seat, she couldn't make out the material but Lindsay noticed there were extra and irregular-shaped holes in the instruments. The human could likewise tell the gender of each Legoom. The females wore ivory gowns that sparkled while the males wore slacks and shirts of the same color.

Lindsay smiled as Naav made her way to the center of the seated musicians. The Legooms, like humans, were all unique in features. It was simple to identify them from one another. Lindsay still called the Legooms "rabbits" in her head and thought Naav had a rich shade of golden fur. The Legoom was also the only one whose tufts of hair curled at the top of her head. Although it had only been a week since the humans arrived on Buno, Naav and Lindsay were good friends. The two fascinated one another!

The other musicians took note of Naav and her golden flute; they stopped warming up at once. The audience hushed, and the Legoom began a slow and gentle tune. Lindsay looked around to see the reactions from everyone but discovered that their eyes were shut.

"Umm... Areiv... am I supposed to-"

"My apologies," Areiv's eyes snapped open and threw her an apologetic glance. "It is best experienced with your eyes closed. Trust me." he assured her. Lindsay gave him a curious look but shrugged. She closed her eyes and suppressed her laugh. What a strange world, she smirked to herself. Lindsay's brow wrinkled when no sooner had she shut her eyes, the Legoom musicians emerged. It was as though her eyes weren't closed at all; they were crystal clear. Lindsay gasped as vibrant colors emitted from their instruments, stretching out and creating a ground of some sort.

"Am... am I supposed to see all this...?" she whispered as she leaned towards Areiv.

"I hope it is not too overwhelming for you..."

"No. It's... really beautiful..." she whispered back with a smile. Rose-tinted tree trunks with delicate golden leaves blossomed around her. The scene grew into a magical forest with yellow, dense lawn and a mixture of flowers. The musicians disappeared and in their place, other Legooms danced and played.

Lindsay looked and noted that she was in the performance as well. The woman was no longer wearing her casual attire but a peachy gown that spilled over her hands and feet. Metallic gold trim traced the edges of the garment. It reminded Lindsay of a gown worn by noblewomen in the Medieval ages. A small group of Legooms noticed and moved toward her with joy. They took her to a small brook in the heart of the enchanted land. Lindsay glanced at her reflection and saw a tiara on her head. It was of golden twine decorated with various shades of orange flowers.

The music switched to a bright, lively tune as Lindsay danced and played along with the other Legooms. She felt exhilarated as if she was truly dancing and questioned if the rest of the audience experienced the same. Right before she could tire herself, the Legooms made Lindsay sit on a crimson tree stomp. They took turns bringing gifts from the forest: berries and other assorted fruits, and flowers. Two female Legooms placed sweet-smelling flowers in her hair.

"This is a tale of a princess from another planet. Adored by Buno, they named her their queen." Naav's squeaky voice was overheard.

"... Wait... is this... is this about... me...??" Lindsay asked no one in particular; she didn't know if anyone could hear her! Regardless, the Legooms continued to pay tribute to her.

"She was strong, elegant, compassionate and courageous. She ruled the land of Buno with a mystic sword. With it, she came to be a fine defender of Buno, where her kingdom loved her." Naav continued to narrate. A sword, she asked. Lindsay glanced at her side and saw a jewel encrusted sheath on her hip; the hilt of a great sword definitely stood out. The human stood up and removed the weapon; it gleamed with a pleasant light engulfing its silver thin blade.

The music became light paced yet sharp as the Legooms panicked. Many fled for protection while those by her switched glances from the densely-wooded region to her. Lindsay looked to discover what bothered them; the heavy trees rustled violently. A huge beast charged onto the scene, standing the same size of an adult mountain lion. The animal looked like a wild boar to her without its tusks but it was threatening at the size it was. When it was about to pounce, Lindsay steadied the sword and severed the beast in two. While she was still pondering over how poised and responsive she was, the Legooms came out of hiding. They admired her even more and picked up the fractions of the creature, preparing it for a celebration.

As the animal cooked over a fire, the soft sounds of the flutes and clarinets became dignified and booming. Lindsay associated it with the announcement of a king but seeing she was the nobility, it confused her. The human kept her hand on the hilt of her sword just in case. After killing the creature that jumped at her, Lindsay gained more confidence. An ebony horse trotted into the open space and Lindsay lowered her hand as she gaped. Its rider was none other than Areiv. His attire had not changed, but he wore a circlet on his head. Lindsay couldn't help but to smile as he dismounted the steed.

"Oh! The Baron of Esperia has paid the queen a visit today. Buno and Esperia will soon unite as one nation!"

"Hold up... what??" Lindsay was very tempted to open her eyes and question this portion of the narrative! Yet, she became captivated with the way the Baron gazed at her. Areiv smiled as he took her hand and kissed it.

"My queen." were the only words he spoke. The song shifted to a waltz and Lindsay's whole body flushed as they danced. She did nothing but stare as they swayed. The closeness reminded Lindsay once again of how handsome the alien was. Along with his confidence and courteous demeanor, she found it hard that a female species wouldn't wish to be in his presence. Lindsay enjoyed the sensation of his cool hands on her back and around her waist; she could feel the passion he had for her through that alone. It was enough for Lindsay to smother a laugh. It was the illusion of the tale and not real. A performance by a remarkable group of musicians. Areiv was right; Lindsay was definitely delighted by it all!

Lindsay chose to revel in the moment; it would be the only time she permitted herself to be this close to the Baron. A quiver made its course up Lindsay's spine as he smiled and took her chin. She drew in a gasp as her heart pounded; they were going to kiss. It was too much, illusion or not. Lindsay was moments from opening her eyes when the music became bitter and distraught. Unlike the last time, all the Legooms hid as they heard a terrible roar. Both Areiv and Lindsay looked towards the sky only to see it evolve from its calm sea green to a sinister black. A blood red tint took over the horizon, and a form materialized from it, towering over the queen and the Baron. Areiv glared at the figure and stood in front of Lindsay as if daring it to strike. The shadow created a sickly stream that Lindsay assumed was its arm and hit the Baron. The strike was heavy enough to knock him sideways, exposing Lindsay. She backed away from the mass as it bore down on her. Lindsay prepared herself for a similar blow until Areiv moved in for the assault.

"Areiv, no!" Lindsay cried, but it was too late. Another powerful red swipe rammed him against nearby woods, leaving him to crash to the ground.

Something came over Lindsay. She had two options: check on Areiv or fight the shadow beast. The woman decided: Lindsay felt that if she ran towards Areiv, it meant her death. Lindsay drew her sword as the shadow screeched at her, rocking the surrounding land. Lindsay looked over at Areiv, who remained slumped against the trunk of a tree and the sight angered her. The queen scowled and rushed towards the blood red fog, swinging her sword with all her might. Lindsay suspected her swipes to be wild and unruly but the figure backed away from her flurry of attacks. Her attacks were precise and charged with fury as they made slices into what she considered to be its body. Even though the mass fell back, Lindsay continued her aggression; it had hurt Areiv, and she wasn't accepting that. Not in her kingdom.

Anger continued to emanate from her body as she shrieked with each swipe. The red being groaned with every blow but Lindsay didn't back down. Suddenly, all her anger shifted to the sword itself. A ray of blinding light burst from the tip of the blade and dispersed the crimson darkness.

Exhausted, Lindsay struggled to catch her breath as she looked to the sky. She expected the color to change back to its natural green; the queen slain the menace. It shocked Lindsay to see that it toned to a dingy gray. The music changed to a quiet and tragic cadence, which made Lindsay turn to where Areiv laid. He still wasn't stirring; the woman didn't know if he was still breathing. Lindsay rushed over to him as the Legooms came out of hiding to join her. She drew him in her arms to check.

"Areiv...? Areiv, please," she tried as her heart sped. The Baron's usually cool skin warmed, and it made the woman produce tears; Lindsay recognized what that implied. "No..." she choked out. Her tears flowed as Lindsay rested her forehead against Areiv's. The pain of losing him overwhelmed her as she trembled.

"Little did the queen know she had magic inside her. The droplets of sadness settled on the Baron's face... and revived him." Naav continued to narrate. Lindsay was so caught up in her emotions, she gasped when she noticed a coolness waver. She stared as the Baron began to breathe. Areiv gave her a weak grin as he cupped her cheek.

"You are safe..."

"Areiv!" Lindsay sniffed. The Legoomian flutes and clarinets started a cheery tune as the sky returned to its usual shade. Filled with so much pleasure that he was alive, Lindsay cupped the Baron's face and they shared a kiss.

"Buno and Esperia will soon unite as one, and the queen and her baron lived happily ever after." Naav finished.

Lindsay opened her eyes and rubbed at the remnants of tears as the music finished. The crowd exploded in applause while she could do nothing but blush heavily. Lindsay glanced over at the Baron but he was on his feet, giving the performers a standing ovation. Lindsay observed that others done the same, but she remained rooted. Areiv looked at her with a smile that shortly transformed into a concerned gaze. He sat beside her.

"Oh... did you not enjoy the recital?"

"Areiv... d-d-did everyone see the same thing...?"

"Yes. I must add that they exceeded themselves this evening!"

"How... did they do that?"

"The finest detail about Legoomian musicians is that they perform from their hearts. It conveys to their instruments and the images play out in the mind. You did not enjoy it..." Areiv frowned at her.

"O-Oh; it was beautiful! It just seemed so... real. Like, I felt everything!"

"Of course."

"But... you seem so calm about the whole thing! Why did they pick... us..." Lindsay trailed off and turned her gaze away from the Baron. His calmness made her even more embarrassed of the subject of the recital. Everyone saw the same thing the human had; those in attendance would assume there was something between the two when it wasn't. Lindsay threw him a stare when Areiv chuckled.

"Do not despair about my reaction to the recital. It was an extraordinary tale, and I rather enjoyed it."

"Bu-"

"I do not believe this recital was about the two of us but rather... about you," he resumed with a smile. The observation made Lindsay blush as much as if it was what she originally suspected. "If you recall, heavier emphasis was fixed on you than myself. The role of the Baron could have been anybody, particularly if I did not accompany you this evening." Areiv finished. Lindsay became composed enough to make sense of what he said. The Baron was right, she reasoned. The Legooms changed her clothes to that of a queen. The beginning centered on their admiration for Lindsay. When the Baron appeared, none of the Legooms bowed. In reality, everybody bowed whenever the Baron or the Royal Magistrate appeared. Lindsay nodded.

"Yeah... you're right," she gave him a smile. "I really did like it. It was a beautiful story."

"So, you will accompany me to other recitals and outings? There is so much to show you."

"Ah... yes. Of course."

"I am delighted."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 11 6
In the midst of a desperate interstellar war, a covert op is launched to steal technology - not from the enemy, but from an ally. The crew of the SDU...
109 29 50
Embark on a thrilling odyssey across the cosmos with Captain Elena Ramirez and her intrepid crew aboard the interstellar vessel Stellar Voyager. In a...
160 5 7
The earth is gone and what's left of humanity has been cast into the void. While many huddle together in a flotilla of ancient ships a few resourcefu...
16 0 1
A young women police officer of zycor meets her biggest mission of celestial discoveries of odd bright abductions. She with other odd characters in s...