Beyond the Milky Way

By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

A group gathers after receiving an official letter from the president of the United States. Their purpose? Be... More

Disclaimers and the Like
1.1: Lindsay
1.2: Bradley
1.3: The Team
2.1: Area 51
2.2: The Assessment
3.1: Buno
3.2: The Welcome Feast
3.3: Practice
4.1: The Spa
4.3: The Legoomian Recital
5.1: Queen of Buno
5.2: Family Matters
5.3: Bunodic Ruins
6.1: Phone Home
6.2: The Race
7.1: Impossible is Nothing
8.1: The End of the World
8.2: Survival
8.3: Goodbye
9.1: The Rerecro
9.2: Secrets
10.1: Father Figure
10.2: The Courtship
11.1: The Mating Ritual
11.2: Pheromones
11.3: Solitude
12.1: The Closing Ceremony
12.2: Esperia
12.3: A Realization
13.1: The Esperian Union
13.2: Coronation
13.3: Forgiveness
14.1: A Surprise Development
14.2: The Esperian Child
Preview of Lady of Esperia

4.2: Breakfast

34 4 0
By Mrs_Manhunter_Jonzz

She sat at the table with her food in the dining facility. She could've remained in her room and ate the Earth food she kept in her refrigerator. But, after befriending Agnab, Snil, Ona and Naeco, the aliens got Lindsay to try Bunodic dishes. The commissary that morning served Ajom: Buno's most well-known dish; Lindsay found herself hooked. She didn't dare question what was in it; although she would have no idea! All she knew was that the leafy, dull red salad dish was delightful.

"You enjoy Bunodic cuisine as well." the Baron's kind voice had a tinge of awe. Lindsay jumped at Areiv's voice and turned towards him. She wiped her mouth as her cheeks ached from embarrassment.

"B-Baron! Wha-"

"Please... call me Areiv. Only the royal court and followers call me 'Baron'. I see none around here." he smiled directly at Lindsay.

"Oh... okay."

"May I join you?"

"Uh... um, yeah; sure..." she stammered. Areiv sat beside her and Lindsay took notice of his plate: a generous portion of Ajom accompanied with a gooey green substance.

Lindsay stole a glimpse at him, getting ready to open her mouth to ask questions. Something made her stop as she examined him. She had to admit that he was rather attractive for an alien. The idea made her blush once again, and she stared back at her plate of food. Lindsay remembered what Agnab mentioned to her. Nearly every species of female in the galaxy had fallen for the Baron's looks and demeanor. The Olenion believed many simply wished to become Lady of Esperia and was the primary motive for their interest in him. Agnab informed her that the Baron needed a mate before the title of Royal Magistrate passed on to him: Emuh's rule was drawing near an end.

Lindsay made an effort to wave the thoughts out of her head. While he was handsome, so were a few members on the Earth team. She didn't pursue any of them; why try with anyone else? She was happily married. She would have to put whatever feelings she had for anyone at bay and stick with being platonic, no matter how long they would be on the planet.

"If you enjoy Ajom, then you would surely love the food on Esperia." his words snapped her train of thought. Lindsay smirked and nodded.

"You're pretty confident about that."

"Yes. It is the finest." Areiv nodded. Lindsay laughed and nodded towards his plate.

"That green stuff. That's from Esperia?"

"Yes. This is called dworl. It is commonly consumed by itself. However, there is no harm in combining it with your meal. You must taste it; it works well with Ajom." he didn't wait for Lindsay to refuse or answer. Before she could blink, his spoon aimed at her lips, a tiny sample on the end of it. She didn't want to seem rude so Lindsay sampled and an instant effect of licking her lips took place.

"Oh... oh, wow! It's kinda sweet. It's like... jelly. This would go good on some toast!" her approval made the Baron smile.

"I do not know what toast is but I will assume that it is a good thing. As well as edible."

"That's right. I keep forgetting that this is literally a brand-new world. You guys don't know what grains and stuff are."

"Afraid not. I would have to research to see if we have anything related to your... grains and stuff." Areiv offered her a warm smile. Lindsay laughed.

"Thanks for the sample. I honestly don't know if I'd ever get a chance to visit Esperia. But, if I do, you gotta give me at least a jar of that dworl!" she smiled. Areiv returned the smile and nodded.

"That can be arranged. As well as your visit. Whenever you have the time." he surprised her yet again. Lindsay stared at him. She didn't expect an actual response from him.

"O-Oh. Thank you, Areiv. I guess when the races are over with... I'll make plans."

"You are more than welcome to visit during the races; the voyage is not long. However, I will be most honored with whatever arrangements you have," the Baron gave her a slight bow. The move was enough to make her bashful once more, and she turned her attention to her meal. Lindsay ran out of things to discuss. She questioned if the two would sit in silence, having their breakfast. The woman crammed a forkful of Ajom in her mouth to prevent the awkward silence. "Is it a common custom for your colleagues not to dine with you? Do they not enjoy Bunodic food?"

"Ah..." she had to finish the bite in her mouth. "Highly doubt they do. All of this is still new to us. I'm learning bit by bit but... it's one thing to try new things. It's another to try new alien things!"

"I see."

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure they're in their rooms or out and about somewhere."

"Oh. You do not know their whereabouts?" it puzzled Areiv. Lindsay shrugged.

"I mean, we're a team, yeah. But, we all just met each other a little over a month ago. We're still getting to know each other well."

"Ah. So, Bradley is not your mate?" he asked, and it made Lindsay choke. His gasp at her coughing made it take longer for her to settle down. Once she did, Lindsay laughed.

"I'm sorry! I'm... fine..."

"A-Are you... sure? Do I need to contact the medic-"

"No, I'm fine! Really. But, um... no, Bradley is not my mate! My mate is still on Earth."

"You are... laughing at what I ask? Why is that amusing?"

"Well... you're the only one who knows this. So, back on Earth, Brad is this racecar driver. Very popular, you know? And I've been a fan for a long time... and probably infatuated with him for just as long."

"... Infatuated..." he thought about the word. Lindsay blushed a little.

"I wouldn't say I... desired him. The, ah... I guess the feeling below that one?"

"I understand infatuation." Areiv looked at her, making the woman even more rosy.

"O-Oh. Sorry! I thought... anyway. He doesn't know all that. He only knows that I'm a big fan. So, I found it funny and ironic that, of all the guys on the team, me and him become partners."

"I see. I apologize for the assumption."

"It's okay. Although... have we been acting like we're mates...?"

"According to my standards, not at all. I assumed because I do not know your standards. May I add the two of you seem well suited?"

"... R-Really?"

"You are surprised. Yes. It was a main reason for the assumption. However, I am certain that you are well suited with your present mate," Areiv nodded. Lindsay took his remarks in consideration and smirked to herself. It took her a great while to realize Tracy and herself were well matched. When they first met, the only thing they had in common was they were both Marines! Tracy and Lindsay Rose were opposites. But it didn't matter; what did was they fell in love with each other and cared for each other passionately. "A different question, if you do not mind. Have you had a tour of Buno?"

"... No. Not yet, anyway. I'm... not comfortable going out and about by myself. Agnab or the others haven't offered so..."

"You have befriended others here. That is most satisfying. Do not trouble yourself over the safety of Buno. It is quite a tranquil place."

"Okay. Maybe one day after practice, I'll walk around more."

"Lindsay... there is a recital this evening. The Legooms are the finest musicians in the galaxy and I seldom miss a performance! Do you... care to join me?" the alien tried. Lindsay gave him a look of awe as she felt her cheeks ache once more.

"Um... I... that sounds... yeah. Sure. Sounds like it'll be fun, actually..."

"Yes, it is. Afterwards, perhaps I can show you a small section of Buno? I do not want to keep you out too late."

"... I would like that, Bar... Areiv." Lindsay smiled.

"Then, I shall meet you outside the housing facility at dusk." Areiv gave her a smile back.

"I knew I'd find you here!" Bradley's familiar southern twang rang out. Lindsay gave him a bright smile as he took a seat beside her.

"Morning! Oh, you gonna finally try something new for once?"

"Not on your life! Alright; what the hell is that?" the man pointed at Lindsay's plate. She took another mouthful as Bradley cringed.

"It's called Ajom. It's their signature breakfast dish; you gotta try it!" she thrust her fork towards his mouth. Bradley gave a show of pushing it aside.

"Ugh, no! How do you even eat this stuff; do you know what's in it?!"

"Don't tell me; it's delicious and I wanna enjoy it! Then again... you talking to someone who eats chitterlings..."

"Right. You're disgusting. Hi, Baron," Bradley noticed Areiv, nodding towards the alien. "Keeping our girl company this morning or you tryna get our racing strategy out of her?" he taunted, much to Lindsay's dismay. Before she could open her mouth, Areiv gave the human a modest smile.

"Rest assured, I need not cheat to defeat you. It is actually Lindsay who is providing me with her company. However, I shall take my leave; the two of you appear to have plenty to discuss."

"Oh, it's okay, you don't hav-"

"Until dusk, Lindsay." Areiv made the woman forget her words as he grasped her hand ever so lightly. He gave Lindsay a bow and a smile before he grabbed his tray and departed. Bradley tried and failed to contain his smirk as he glanced at the glowing woman.

"... Until dusk? What's that about?"

"N-N-Nothing. It's... nothing..." she tried to occupy herself by eating. Bradley narrowed his eyes at her.

"Hey... whatcha doing tonight? We don't have practice this weekend; we could grab a few beers, get a little drunk and cause some human chaos in town!" he smiled widely at her. Lindsay's natural color never returned as she took a sip of her drink.

"As fun as that sounds... I can't. Maybe tomorrow night."

"Aw, why put off... um... I don't know how that saying goes. But, why not tonight? Can't tell me you're gonna be tired later!"

"Brad..."

"What? Tell me what that 'until dusk' thing is about, Lizzie. You got plans with the Baron or something...?"

"Alright, alright, damnit! Anyone tell you you're annoying?!"

"I've heard it several times, yeah..."

"I'm going to a recital tonight."

"A recital, huh? With the Baron?"

"... Yeah..."

"So... let me get this straight. You're going on a date with the Bar-"

"W-W-W-Wait, a WHAT?! N-N-No!!"

"You're blushing..." Bradley narrowed his eyes at her once again. Lindsay turned away from him.

"I-I-I'm not blushing! And, it's not a date! He's just... showing me around..."

"Uh, huh. Are we all invited to this recital, then?"

"I... I don't know."

"And, this recital is just so happening at night. Along with the showing you around bit..."

"Oh, my God; stop it! You're looking too much into this! This is nothing! Nothing will happen; Areiv knows that I'm married!"

"Oh... it's just Areiv, now? You're dropping the formalities with him. In fact... you dropped the formalities with his dad, too. Is the Royal Magistrate gonna be there...? Is this some sort of weird alien orgy incest thing going on...?"

"Oh... my... GOD; get the hell away from me!!" Lindsay didn't intend to be as loud as she was; the two humans drew attention towards themselves. Lindsay looked down at her plate as Bradley snickered. She threw him a malicious stare. "What the hell do you want, anyway?!" she asked in a cool tone.

"I'm sorry! It's just fun to tease you! Yoji and Malik sent me on a quest. Wanna go to the marketplace with me?"

"Am I gonna hear more about me going to this recital with Areiv?"

"Chances are great..."

"Then, no." Lindsay clutched her tray and got up from the table.

"Lizzie! Don't be like that; I said I was sorry!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26 0 6
What would be human race do if the earth could no longer carry us in her arms? A story set in a futuristic timezone where life on earth has reached i...
16 0 1
A young women police officer of zycor meets her biggest mission of celestial discoveries of odd bright abductions. She with other odd characters in s...
160 5 7
The earth is gone and what's left of humanity has been cast into the void. While many huddle together in a flotilla of ancient ships a few resourcefu...
147 5 1
Approaching the 30th century, the human race was at the peak of its power. Space exploration, technology, and scientific advancements defined this p...