Color Blind

By KayyyBrown

Audra Jones left Miami after her longtime boyfriend Antonio cheated on her. Refusing to pity her life, she de... More

Opening Thought
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Author's Note: Baby Names
Author's Note: IMPORTANT
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
I'm Back!
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

36.3K 1.2K 299
By KayyyBrown

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Dante's POV

A bright light surrounds me. As I walk through green grass and past rose bushes and lilies, I arrive at an altar. A large man is standing in the center but he's nothing but light. I can see! But what is more shocking is that my dead family is standing next to him with open arms.

Moving my legs as fast as they will carry me I run into my mother, Isabel's arms. My father Anthony and my twin brother and sister Donatello and Nolla wait for me to hug them also.

As I spend time with them and the mystery man, my heart swells with love. I've missed them so much! Nolla holds her tiny hands in mine and whispers in my ear.

"Té, we love and miss you so much, but it's not your time to go yet" What does she mean? Before I can become wrapped in my thoughts she continues.

"The world that you knew will forever more be different but you aren't alone. Whenever you are lonely, call on is and we'll be right there with you. I love you bubby." I feel my tears fall. My siblings were only five when they burned to death. I feel slightly larger hands on my shoulders. It's Donatello.

"Don't cry for us, we're alright. You cannot live in pity and sadness for the rest of your life, you have to move on. We love you so much!" For someone so young he has such wide words.

My father Anthony comes and dusts in front of me. His dark eyes are just how I remembered them. So warm and pleasant looking. Even those slight freckles on his nose are still there. In his hand he holds a mirror.

"Son, look at yourself in the mirror. What do you see?" Using my sight for the first time since the fire, I'm appalled at what I see. My skin is dry and aged looking, my eyes dull and lackluster, my features full of sadness. Is this how I've always looked?

Expecting to see my dad look at me with disappointment, he instead pulls me into a hug.

"I'm proud of you son. I've always been proud. You have to let people into your life. I was angry and butter before I met your mother and now even trough death we haven't parted. I love her completely and will for all eternity." I don't know what to say to that so I remain quiet and hug my father tighter.

Lastly, my mother comes to me and holds me like she did when I was a child. She hums the melody that always calmed me down when I was afraid or angry. I feel warm and loved. I never want to leave.

"My son, you are my miracle baby. I never thought that if be able to conceive children and then we had you. You've brought us nothing but joy and pride my dear. Remember when you used to pray for us to have a little brother and sister? God gave us Don and Nolla because of you. We're never far away my dear. I've been watching you and that lovely woman has a broken heart like you. Why did you up and leave her?" Does she mean Audra?

"Yes Té, I mean Audra. She is the key to your future. Choose your actions wisely or she will be gone just as easily." I don't reply, I just sit with my family like I used to. The large man who has been sitting above us speaks to me.

"Danté, you are a wonderful man and because of your prayers, your parents were able to conceive Donatello and Nolla. But it isn't your time to leave yet so I must send you back. Please say goodbye to your family and you'll be on your way. Oh! Your family and I lie you unconditionally..." I stand up and hug all of my family tightly. So this is what heaven is like?

As I start to leave with the large man, my family calls out to me simultaneously, "Walk by faith and not by sight. We love you!" As suddenly as our walk began, it ended...

My body is sticky and damp. What the hell? As I open my eyes, the memory of the horrific incident I was in floods my mind. I can't move, my head is pounding, and I don't know where I am. I try to move my arms and legs only to hear an eardrum-busting alarm go off and nurses and doctored above me.

"We have a pulse!"

"He made it, I for sure thought we lost him."

"I was just about to call his time of death."

"I've never known someone dead for 26 minutes to be resuscitated!"

"Okay everyone, get him prepped for a CT scan. I need to know whether there's any severe brain damage."

I was dead?! And I'm alive now?! That makes sense. Either way, I'm thankful to have seen my family. I missed them dearly.

For what seems forever, some of my tubing is unhooked and I'm asked to move my arms, legs, and hands. I was also asked to blink.

A female nurse asks me a slew of questions.

"Do you know your full name, age, today's date, and location?" Standard procedure I guess.

"Yes. I'm Danté Marcello Lombardi, I'm 28 years old, I think it's August 17, 2013, and I'm in a hospital."

"Yeah, you have your memory as far as I can tell. Mr. Lombardi, you're a very lucky man to have survived such a attack. Law enforcement would like to talk to you after we complete a CT scan. Is that alright?" I nod my head and replay the encounter I had with my family and everything feels so different.

After finishing my testing and being questioned by police, I'm in my room with a nurse aide just in case anything goes amiss. Dozing off, I think of my mom's words about Audra. I need to see her!

"Hey!" I hear the aide turn to me.

"Has an Audra Jones been here to see me at all? She's a nurse on the oncology unit." I hope desperately she doesn't abandon me.

"Hold on Mr. Lombardi, I'll ask." I hear her footsteps leave and return.

"She waited with you until she received news that you were resuscitated. Her and two people named Dani and Alex. They all talked to the police then left about 15 minutes ago." I sighed deeply. Did they not care enough about me to visit?

"You're not allowed to have visitors until tomorrow but food just got delivered for you. Do you want it?" I nod my head, I'm actually pretty hungry.

When she sets my plate down, she reads a note that was attached.

"I'm glad you're okay. I promise I'll be back first thing in the morning after I make arrangements for Dr. Del Zotto's body. Dani, Alex, and I missed you. Audra..." She did care enough! Why was I so rude with her?

"Who's Dr. Del Zotto?" I ask the aide.

"Hey was the doctor who worked with Audra on the oncology unit. In that whole ordeal you were in, he took a bullet for Audra," she sniffles and I'm sure she's crying when her voice cracks,"They were dating and it was so perfect. Everyone thought they'd walk down the aisle, but he's gone and she's broken!" She breaks out into hysterical sobs. Guilt fills me. Was it my fault that her happiness is ruined?

The aide's crying dies down and I open up my food. It's streaming hot. There's apple pie, a fresh olive and ricotta cheese pasta salad, chicken pot pie, and a large container of tea. She went home and cooked for me, I'm sure of it. Alex and Dani cook the same damn thing it order takeout. I'm grateful for this kind gesture. After I eat, I settle down and think about my life.

I've always been a pretty moody guy when I came to people outside of my family. It didn't help that I was scrawny and intelligent too. All the other kids had parents who were into organized crime, while my parents opted for a honest living. My mom, who was an elementary school teacher, used to read with me and challenge my mind. She wanted to see me grow and prosper. She's the reason I fell in love with writing. It's why I made that profession. I write speeches for various public figures and publish my poetry which makes me a really good living.

My dad was an architect who designed some of the buildings around this city. Sometimes a brooding man, my mother brought him joy. I could see it whenever she walked into the room. I'm glad I was also able to bring him joy. I used to hear them make love almost every night and hear them whisper tender words in each other's ear.

I want something like that. Something real, obtainable, long-lasting. I should've known I couldn't get that from Bella.

As I grew older I was still considered nerdy but I didn't care anymore. I focused on school and took college classes during high school so I didn't feel the need to continue my education for the time being.

Donatello and Nolla were my life. It felt great to not be an only child anymore. Sure I was 14 when they were born, but I felt like life was perfect. Even after high school I stayed at home to help with my siblings. I remember the day of the fire like it had just happened minutes ago.

I was going to meet a council member to help him prepare a speech. Kissing my parents and siblings goodbye, I left the house with a strange feeling. Coming back home once I had finished I opened up my front door only to see an extremely bright flash and be thrown back yards away. The next thing I knew I was in a hospital and when I opened my eyes I couldn't see. It was more or less darkness. I went blind.

To make matters worse I was informed of my family's death and once I recovered, I stayed with an old friend Alex until I found a place of my own and slowly rebuilt my life. I began working out and writing more. Battling my depression, I met Bella. She made me feel loved and wanted and that was what I needed the most only for her to run off with that Russian. It still pisses me off. And for her to say she started the fire! If I find out that's true there will be hell to pay!

I let my mind wander to Audra and what she may be doing. I'll make it up to her and walk by faith and not by sight. Falling asleep it felt like arms were holding me. A motherly touch...

*Hey guys! What did ya think? I hope this clarifies Dante's life and his struggles. Don't worry, Audra will get one too!! Are you enjoying the story so far?

Thanks for all of the support!💛

Vote/Fan/Comment/Message/Follow/Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 195 30
Ada is 20 years old and a very beautiful lady. She losses her dad in the hands of some gang. Sad and having no parents and any other family member...
268K 9.5K 33
Noalani is trying to become a successful lawyer and she's determined to let nothing get in the way. She meets Dillon at her new job working at a reno...
78.8K 2.6K 21
Alana has just moved to Atlanta. Starting a new life leaving behind her troubled past, she meets August a local street hustler with dreams. August ho...
68.1K 2.7K 81
"Next thing you know, his house had burned down from an "accidental" fire" Valerie Vause is a successful multimillionaire, on her way to the top, the...