Sedulous [1] - | J |

By flowerchild_04

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object..." ... More

Some things...before we dive in
• Cast •
[ Playlist ]
| Million Dollar Baby |
| Impostor |
| Miss Gotham City |
| Playboy |
| Insecurities |
| Losses |
| Explanations |
| Secrets |
| Stitches |
| Gotcha! |
| Losing Control |
| Fire & Gasoline |
| Regression |
| Restart |
| Cat Got Your Tongue? |
| Old Habits Die Hard |
| Twisted Fantasies |
| Dreams |
| Guilty As Charged |
| Electric |
| Sweet Talker |
| Burn |
| X's & O's |
|Epilouge I |
| Epilouge II |
• Thank You •
* a lil PSA *

| Memories |

2K 78 42
By flowerchild_04

"Ronnie, you seem a bit... on edge this morning." Alfred says casually, pouring me some coffee as I scanned the front of Gotham Times with frantic eyes and shaking legs.

"A literal monster...he wears a respirator? I mean, come on! Where do these people crawl out from?" I ask, clearly exasperated as I threw the paper across the table.

Alfred looks at me and then eyes the scattered newspaper.

"You best be going, Miss Wayne. You don't want to be late on your first day back."

I nod and give Alfred a kiss on the cheek before taking my coffee to go along with my belongings. It was stark winter in Gotham, snow slowly starting to make its downfall onto the dreary streets. I drive slowly to the GCPD and drank my coffee calmly before parking in the parking lot of the precinct. I sighed, my nerves taking over as I quickly looked myself over in my car mirror. When I thought I looked okay, I exited my car before straightening my beige trench coat and stuffing my hands into my pockets as I walked to the building.

When I entered, I immediately sighed at how warm it was and untied my jacket, leaving it loose around my torso. I immediately got a few shocked looks and even a few low gasps over the many ringing telephones and shouts. I nodded politely and smiled before walking to Jim's office. I knocked and opened when I heard him call me in.

"I feel like we've been here before. Deja vu?" Jim says and chuckles and I try to laugh too.

"Yeah. Something like that."

He motions me to sit and I oblige, as he opens a large folder on his desk.

"Bane...his name is Bane?" He says and gives me an odd look to which I return.

"Uh, I think so? Same guy that wears some sort of respirator, right?"

Jim chuckles and nods.

"I'm just as confused as you. This guy actually threw people out of a moving plane, over the Atlantic. A little much, if I do say so myself." Jim says and pushes his glasses up his nose.

"I did some research but I'm not sure if it's substantial. Ever heard of those old Middle Eastern Urban Legends? Particularly ones involving someone named Rahs Al Guhl?" I ask seriously, moving up in my seat.

Jim shook his head, lowering the paperwork he was reading as I continued.

"Well, uh, legend says that this guy...he was kind of like a God. Immortality consumed him. He would capture villagers that he thought to be worthy enough to be taught by him. He built something that was supposed to be a sanctuary...though a sanctuary without an exit."

Jim looks confused as I grab the paperwork and look over whatever files he had. I began mumbling a few sentences before finding what I wanted.

"Ha! Yes, in this file you sent to me when you called me in New York. It says here-" I point towards the chunk of info I was pertaining to, reading aloud.

"...he claimed he would awaken Gotham and free the city of its chains...'The shackles will be broken and then will all be fair'..." I mumble a few more lines to myself and shake my head.

"The only witness said that Bane was not holding back when speaking of his plans and even in giving his identity. This is what made me look up Rahs-Bane supposedly spoke of a fourth coming, that he would make his God happy...claiming that his "God" goes by the name-"

"-Rahs Al Ghul." Jim finished, finally pulling everything together.

"Exactly. It's sort of a penance? Maybe even a sacrifice or dedication...but all I know is that the guy who survived this is one lucky bastard. Also," I close the folder and give it back to Jim.

"-this sounds like another Joker." I say, his name bitter on my tongue.

"Wannabe or not. Threats like that need to be taken seriously. Terrorizing the city isn't something we want to encourage. Anyway, thank you for finding that info for me, Ronnie. I'll give you a call soon when I find something." Jim says with a small smile, nodding as I stood up.

"Oh wait a second, Wayne. I knew I wanted to tell you something." Jim begins, taking his glasses off and fitting them into his shirt pocket.

"I have a task for you. I paired you with one of my best detectives. I think you'll both get on well and find some answers on this case." He states.

"Jim, again, I'm not certified-"

"-about that. I pulled some strings up at headquarters and, well," he smiles and leans over to open his desk drawer. He pulls out a small black box and opens it, revealing an ID saying "Principle Psychologist" with my name under it. I almost faint at the sight.

"Jim-" I begin but am quickly cut off.

"-I know, I know. We love you here, Ronnie. You help us more than we help ourselves at times. I need someone as trustworthy and reliable as you on my side. Please, accept this offer."

I stare at the laminated I.D with worrisome eyes, my future flashing before my eyes. Living in Gotham until the day I die, fighting off the psychos and monsters who would surely make their way into the area. Another Batman but without the mask...

"Veronica? Are you okay?" He asks carefully and I shake my head slightly, crashing back to reality.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm okay."

He nods and smiles slightly, closing the box back and placing it back in the drawer.

"I scheduled for you to meet with your new partner. I really think you guys will make great progress finding some new leads." He says confidently, walking out of his office which prompted me to follow.

"Is your detective aware of this decision? I really don't want to step on anyone's toes." I say strongly and Jim chuckles heartily.

"You? Never. I find that you work easily with others. Call it natural born leader syndrome."

I give a weak laugh when Jim opened the door to the very loud and fast paced waiting area. Bodies quickly moved past me, papers seemed to fly as steps were taken. Jim stops and looks to me, waving over in a specific direction before someone hands him a file, speaking rapidly.

I looked in the pointed direction and almost fell unconscious. I quickly turned around to have someone knock me almost off my feet, causing Jim to outstretch his hand to grasp me to keep me from falling. On the ground was a younger man, who wore thick glasses and a bow tie. He looked no older than 25. I cursed lowly and leaned down to his level and helped him pick up the array of files scattered on the floor.

"Dammit Oliver. Watch where you're going will you?" Gordon barks a bit annoyed, making me pipe up quickly.

"No, no. It's my fault, I was in his way. He did nothing wrong." I reassure and give the guy a small smile which he returns.

"Thank you. I'm sorry for bumping into you. It was truly my mistake."

"No, please-" I say with a smile, handing him his large stack of papers.

"-it's my fault. I'm-" I begin but am cut off by him.

"-Wayne. Veronica Wayne. I remember reading about you in the paper a few years ago. Apparently you're Joker's mistress?" he says and smirks causing me to scowl.

"Excuse me?" I almost shout, making Jim grab my arm and pull me away Oliver.

"Don't listen to him, Kid. You know us guys. We don't mature until after 25. He's got that immature tick where he sees a pretty girl and wants to get her all flustered. Take nothing of it."

I huff and straighten out my coat before I clear my throat, Jim looking at me warily.

"You sure you're good?"

I nod and give a weak smile, making him nod.

"Alright, I'll leave you to do the introductions. I would do it but, I've got a meeting with the board. Let me know if you need anything." He says before leaving me alone with a shaking frame.

Don't turn around.

Though I didn't want to, I did. There he was, looking down intently at some papers. He wore a suit and tie, not his blue officer uniform I so vividly remember him in. I walk slowly towards his desk, everything and everyone slowing down as I approached him. I wonder if he could feel me- my rapid-beating heart...I wonder if he thinks about me.

I am about 2 feet from his desk, holding my bag in front of me with both hands, swallowing my nerves as James sat in front of me in all his handsome glory. Wow, did he age wonderfully. I was secretly proud of him, of his movement in rank. He always wanted this and more and I can see he's getting there.

I clear my throat, lowly. Shifting my weight from one foot to another, I swayed my bag slightly. He looks up once and goes back to what he's doing, but he looked up again swiftly. I would be flattered at the double take but he was probably thinking how the fuck I was here and why.

He stands up slowly and puts his hands in his pockets, biting down on his teeth probably by the way his jaw jetted out. I took his actions as something totally different from what he probably meant.

He put his hands in his pockets because he didn't want to runs his hands over my face, my waist, anywhere that would be categorized as touching and biting down to keep him from saying all the things he should've said years ago. All the lovey dovey phrases we should've shared but didn't-

"What brings you back?" He asks strongly and I look down, feeling an odd sense of tension between us.

"Work. Just...work." I say and give him a minimal smile as he tries to do the same.

"I'm guessing you didn't know it was me, right?" He asks a bit smugly, walking around his desk and up to me.

"Well, no. I didn't even know if you'd still be here honestly-"

"Ouch, that hurt a little. I'll add that to your list of void in my heart." He says and raises an eyebrow slightly as I almost throw up from the confrontation.

"James-" I begin but am caught off guard and stumble a bit back when he speaks next.

"-John. John is my name. To you, I'm Detective Blake. Are we done?" He asks, turning back to his desk and grabbing his belongings before walking away from me.

I stand there, watching him leave. My feet and head were not in sync as I chased after him, my heels furiously clicking against the tile.

"James, wait! Ja-oops sorry-" I say quickly as I pushed into someone roughly, walking around them and jogging down the stairs of the precinct.

"I'm going to-" I begin before I see him turn around slightly with a smirk, continuing to walk.

I scowl and pick up my pace, catching him when he is opening his car door. I grab his arm roughly and spin him around.

"What is your problem? What the hell was that back there?" I ask angrily, as he coolly gives me an odd look.

"What? You chasing after me? It used to be the other way around, remember? How does it feel?" He asks and chuckles lightly as I scoff.

"Really, cut the shit, James. You're being a real asshole."

He stops messing around with his vehicle and looks at me, shaking his head. Undoing his tie with one hand and opening his door with another, he gets in and slams the door shut.

"Alright, I apologize for calling you that but-" I begin as he starts to drive off, making me grab the handle of the car and stumble a few inches forward.

"-BUT, explain to me what has you so fucking livid!"

He opens the door angrily and slams it closed, making me flinch.

"I'm passed livid, Veronica. I have a right to be, especially since you call me and end everything over the phone. Not even letting me explain myself." He exclaims and laughs angrily, closing his eyes briefly and walking back to his car.

"Tell me how you'd feel if you lost someone you really cared about and not being allowed to fix things. Get back to me when you do." He says and gets in, driving off.

Welcome back, Ronnie.

*

"Another case. What a surprise." My father states sarcastically, giving me the eye before walking down the stairs to the batcave. I sigh and roll my eyes as I follow him.

I've finally convinced him to venture down here for the first time in years and potentially get back to the city. Especially since this new lunatic has been cut loose.

"Right. Though I'm not too sure about this. Getting info on this guy is like finding a needle in haystack. Almost physically impossible."

My dad huffs at my statement and I cross my arms.

"You know, I like to follow the books sometimes. I unfortunately don't have a scary mask and suit to scare answers out of people."

My dad looks at me and rolls his eyes before sitting down in his chair, clicking the batcomputer to life.

"Excuses are for the bitter, Ronnie." He mumbles before I lean on the batcomputers very large keyboard, facing him.

"I'm also working with someone else." I grumble and he looks at me shockingly.

"Oh no! Ronnie has to share the workload! What a travesty!" He says sarcastically, sobbing comically.

I quickly hit him on his arm, making him chuckle.

"I don't mind working with others. I'm not like you-"

"-hey, I've got my reasons."

"As do I. Especially this time."

He rolls his eyes.

"You said the same thing when you pushed Samantha Bailey off the slide in 4th grade."

"Okay that was a different time and I still had a reason! Dad, I've been scheduled to work with...God why is this so difficult to say..." I groan and walk away from him, my arms releasing from its off putting stance.

"Talk to me. You know I'm always here to listen." He says, tapping away and scrolling through a plethora of files and articles on the recent torture Gotham has been put through.

I sigh and clear my throat, standing tall.

"Gordon is making me work with my Ex-Boyfriend."

I never seen my father move so quickly in his life, almost too quickly, as he stood from his seat into an awkward stance.

"Your what?"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N:
HI HI HI LOVES!
I had such writers block PLUS my schedule has been quite hectic, especially since my fall semester is ending soon. I deeply apologize for the wait! Just know I love you all so much for even continuing to read this story when I update so sporadically. Always appreciate every single one of you! Hope all is well with you :) xx A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 7 11
Gotham City trembles under the weight of its own darkness as the legend of the Batman spreads fear through the criminal underworld. For a year, the C...
2.9K 262 52
Stephanie Brown's return to Gotham City is not what she expected. A few years removed from the life she thought she wanted to leave behind, fighting...
383 3 10
Gotham City: the definition of crime. The mob, gangs, and organized crime had dominated the streets. The police are mere annoyances to the law breake...
4.6K 214 25
Harley Quinn has been captured, yet her boyfriend is still large. It's only been a few weeks, but she is already feeling the long effects of prison...