Low

By Animallover55

*Book 2 of the Saint J's Boys* "Please," Logan gave me a heartwarming smile. "Call me Lo." "Alright," I cross... More

Prologue
Chapter 1--Cheers, To A Good Day
Chapter 2--Chicken Omelette's or Strawberry Jam Toast?
Chapter 3--Waltzing Into Your Life
Chapter 4--Bad Case of Swedish Fish
Chapter 5--Playing Jenga
Chapter 6--Dogs Before Dames
Chapter 7--Confetti Poppers For Those That Die
Chapter 8--That 80's Grooving
Chapter 9--The Kind Demonic One-Eyed Cat
Chapter 10--Clint Eastwood Would Be Proud
Chapter 11--Something Forced, Something Fake
Chapter 11.5--In A Few Years, Look Back And Smile
Chapter 12--The Cake From France
Chapter 13--Turning Alright
Chapter 14--You'd Think Game Of Thrones Is Already Awkward Enough
Chapter 15--The Matching Black Widow Sibilings
Chapter 16--Wishing There's A Turn Off Switch
Chapter 16.5--Dirty Dancing 2.0
Chapter 17.5--The Proper Distance To Keep Away From A Campfire
Chapter 18--Thanksgiving With The Sanders
Chapter 19--The Truth Isn't Always What You Want
Chapter 19.5--Thanksgiving With The Williamson's
Chapter 20--Whipping That Whipped Cream
Chapter 21--Let's Play A Little Game, Shall We?
Chapter 21.5--Even Dancing Doesn't Relieve This Tension
Chapter 22--It's The Thought That Truly Counts
Chapter 23--Meet The Saint J's Boys
Chapter 23.5--The Only Person I Want To Dance With
Chapter 24--Throw Your Middle Finger Up To Society
Chapter 25--The Bad Case Of Loneliness
Chapter 26--But Really, What Do You Want?
Chapter 27--Lonely Little Fellow
Chapter 27.5--We're All Eagles With Badass Scars
Chapter 28--Angsty Teen Books People Seem To Love
Chapter 29--Sometimes Running Away Helps
Chapter 30--Welcome to Miami
Chapter 31--The Misfits of the Misfits
Chapter 32--The Best Boy You Could Have Asked For
Chapter 33--The Pizza Man is a Monumental Betrayal
Chapter 34-Where is the Zen in Buddha Bowls?
Chapter 35--He Kissed A Boy, But He Didn't Like It
Chapter 36--I'll Be Good
Chapter 37--- Finding Yourself
Chapter 38 -- Finding Your Dance Partner
Epilogue
Author's Note
New Story - Mason

Chapter 17--Double The Trouble Like Jessie And James

2.4K 206 198
By Animallover55

Logan

Ever since Halloween night, whenever I close my eyes I see Harper. I can still feel the way her hand settled in mine. I can hear the way she told off that girl. But most importantly, the dancing. Her hips would slowly move with mine. Her hands would trail down my arms whenever she'd face me. In the strobe lights, I could see her laughing and having fun. But when I dipped her and she stretched back, I nearly lost it.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. Thinking of what it would be like to kiss her. God, I say in my head as I grab my leather jacket. I need to stop.

Harper gave me my jacket back the moment I dropped her off by her dorm building. It's the first time ever I've wanted to tell someone to keep it. And the fact I want to give her something so symbolic isn't good. She has a boyfriend. She's taken and I'm just going to be the bad guy if I get in the way of their relationship.

Speaking of Vincent, he invited me to Guys Night. Bros Night. Whatever it's called. Honestly, I don't want to go. I mean...it's weird, right? The guy that invited me is the boyfriend of the girl I like. It sounds like a bar fight just waiting to happen.

I contemplate texting Vincent that I'm feeling under the weather. Then I remember how excited Harper was when she talked about me going to Guy's Night. She wants Vincent and I to get along and possibly be friends. I groan and start tying the laces of my converse.

Vincent texts me the name of the bar he and his friends will be at. I turn to look at Sur. He's chewing on the new toy I bought him for his Gotcha Day. At the party, I made sure to tell Dan not to give Sur any alcohol. One time he did and Sur ended up drunk. Have you ever seen a drunk 3-legged dog try to walk? It was funny but I didn't appreciate it in the morning. Besides, the next day I chewed Dan out because dogs aren't supposed to drink beer.

"I'll be back soon boy," I say to Sur as I grab my beanie. He looks up at me briefly before back at his toy.

The moment I step outside, I pull my jacket closer to me. It's November. It's cold now. Not nearly what it's going to be like in January but I like the cold. It makes my sweatshirts and long sleeves more normal. It's also great incentive to be at home and not have to socialize.

I take my car to the bar. As I pull onto the street lined up with college students that are all enjoying their night—I feel my stomach sink. I don't want to be here...

For Harper, I think to myself as I step out of my car.

I side step a group of girls that are all exiting the bar. When I'm finally inside, I scan the room. Sure enough, Vincent is sitting at a booth with a group of guys. They all start to laugh and for a moment I consider turning around. These guys are not my kind of people.

"Hey Lo," Vincent sees me and calls out my name.

I take a deep breath and muster all the power I have to walk towards Vincent's booth. His friends all look at me curiously. I'm not exactly intimidated by them, after all they all look like sophomores and juniors. But I do quickly realize I'm outnumbered. All of them are normal. And my normal I mean not at all like me.

They look like your typical frat guys. Hair nicely made. Polo or button-down shirts. Khakis. God, I hate khakis. I'm not judging them for how they dress and look. But I know they're not going to like me. I'm a punk and they're...well...whatever you want to call normal people I guess.

I recognize one of the guys sitting beside Vincent. He was at the soccer game managing all the technical stuff. I try to remember his name but can't. Until Vincent introduces him as Johnny and then it clicks. "Guys this is Lo," Vincent says as I take my seat beside him. I look up at everyone and give a hesitate grin and wave. "Lo this is..."

Vincent goes off to introduce me to all his friends. They're all staring at me like I'm a freak show. Weirded out yet intrigued. Sounds about right though. "You look familiar," One of the guys says to me.

"Lo was at the soccer game," Vincent pitches in for me. I lean back in the booth. Whenever someone locks eyes with me I give them a blank stare. The last thing they need is to see fear or any emotion at all really. Vincent's friends all chorus in recognition.

"You had some pretty sick moves," One guy nods his head in approval and they all fall behind.

"No but," The original guy snaps his fingers like he's got it. "Holy shit, you're Logan Williamson."

"Fuck," Another one laughs in realization. They all suddenly stare at me like I'm a celebrity. Excitement suddenly flickering in their wide eyes. "You should buy the next round."

My stomach and mood instantly sinks. I don't even want to deal with people looking at me like I'm an idol. Yeah, my father is Henry Williamson, who cares. I start feeling the itch to walk away. That's usually what I do. I get up and walk away. But I glance at Vincent who starts glaring at his friends. He shakes his head softly at his friend and I frown.

Is Vincent...defending me?

"Don't listen to them," Vincent says to me. He waves his hand up to get the attention of a nearby waitress/bartender. She makes her way over as Vincent says, "They're just jealous because all the girls they know are fantasizing about you after they saw you dance at the soccer game."

A few of them groan and Johnny starts to laugh. I glance at Johnny who only nods his head and says, "Vincent's right. Penny's sorority hasn't shut up about you."

Oh, I piece together. Johnny must be Penny's boyfriend. I remember Harper mentioning something about that.

"What can I get you all?" The woman asks us. All the guys start ordering different beers and whatever is on tap. They display their fake ID's. I can't help but feel superior. I'm so glad my fake ID days are over.

By the time the bartender looks at me I push a smile, "Just a root beer."

She gives me a flirty smile like she finds my choice hilarious and adorable. Then she turns on her heels and heads back towards the bar. I glance at the guys who are all looking at me like a third eye has grown on my forehead. Vincent is chuckling beside me and he even claps me on the back, "Nice."

"Are you on probation?" One guy asks me completely bewildered. "Or did you lose your fake?"

"I'm twenty-one," I tell him with a pushed smile. "And surprisingly I've never even gotten a parking ticket. Besides, I drove here."

"Your friend's weird Vincent," Some guy laughs. The drinks arrive and he takes his beer bottle raising it up for a toast. "To the newbie weirdo."

"Now let's get wasted," Another starts to chug down his beer.

I realize half way through the night that this group of guys is split down the middle. There's Vincent, Johnny, and someone else who all have girlfriends. Then there's the single guys. They keep on trying to flirt with girls at the bar. Sometimes, they'll get a phone number, but for the most part they're turned down. Probation Dude got slapped across the face for whatever pick up line he laid down. It was the first time all night I actually laughed.

After the first bar, the group all moved to another place. And that's what the night consisted of. This group of guys moving from bar to bar. The taken men—like Vincent—stuck to the music and drinks. The single men either got home runs or struck out. But by the end of the night, the only guys left are the ones with girlfriends and me.

We're at yet another bar. It's a lot later than I expected and honestly, I guess the night wasn't so bad. It could have been a lot worse. Vincent told me to loosen up and have fun. It's hard to have fun when you're surrounded by people that you don't know.

"I promised Harper you'd at least have fun," Vincent says to me. He hasn't been drinking as heavily as his other friends. Johnny is definitely more drunk than the rest of us. Even so, I can smell the alcohol in Vincent's breath. "Are you having fun?"

I give him a small grin, "I'm not bored if that's what you mean."

He laughs, "I'll take it."

Vincent finishes up another bottle of beer as I keep my hands surrounded around my third glass of root beer. I bite my lip ring and ask, "Why'd you invite me tonight Vincent?"

His gaze shifts from staring at Johnny and his friend to me. Johnny is singing the pledge of allegiance with the bartender while the friend just swings along to the music. It is kind of funny to watch but I'm not about to really let myself go tonight. "Let's play darts," Vincent says abruptly.

"Yeah because darts is fun," I say with a smirk but stand up nevertheless.

"Well you have to make it fun," Vincent tells me as we near the dart board. As he picks up the darts he sets down a twenty-dollar bill. "I'll bet you that I can beat you even though I'm buzzed."

"I don't like taking candy from a baby," I say. "It makes me look like the monster."

Vincent grins, "Just don't tell Harper."

I shrug and set a twenty down next to Vincent's. He starts off first by taking steps back until he's standing behind the white designated line. He starts throwing the darts as he speaks, "It was my idea to invite you tonight. Not Harper's, regardless of what you're thinking."

I have to admit, for a brief second I did think that Harper had tried to set this up for Vincent and I to get along. Honestly, he's not a bad guy and I can see that maybe we could be friends. But we both belong to two totally different groups of people. And if that weren't enough, I'm graduating this year. I like the friends I have and I'm not looking to extend my friendship. It's a miracle that even Harper managed to wiggle her way into our group.

"Damn," Vincent finishes up his darts and hands me the rest. "You're turn."

I take my place behind the white line and aim. "Yeah but why?" I ask again as I throw a dart.

"Because," Vincent shrugs. I take aim again and just as I throw the dart he says, "You like Harper."

I'm so taken aback I actually throw the dart too hard and it ends up above the board. I can't even turn to face Vincent because I'm afraid of how he'll read my face. Maybe if I play it off cool I can get away with it. But I mean the dart is stuck on the wall, I don't know how to come back from that.

"What are you talking about?" I try to play off. I aim again and this time hit the board.

Vincent smirks, "You're pretty good at hiding it. I'll give you that. I know you're a close friend of hers. And Harper...she's never really had many friends. I mean, she has. But she's always made them through me."

Oh man, I think to myself. He's going to tell me to back off. He's going to try and punch me.

I finish throwing the darts and turn to face Vincent. I try to summon all the power in my voice and weave out a lie. "I don't like her," I say rather solidly. I give myself kudos. It actually sounds convincing. I test my luck, "She's my dance student, Vincent. Everything we have is platonic. Do I like Harper? Yeah sure, but that's because she's been integrated into my group of friends. We all love her."

Vincent stares at me for a few seconds like he's trying to figure out if I'm lying or not. I give him my best poker face—praying that it's better than my ability to play darts. Eventually, Vincent shrugs and sighs. "I didn't bring this topic up to get us on the wrong page Lo," Vincent ends up saying. He walks towards the dart board and tallies the points before walking back behind the line.

"I think you're a good guy," Vincent throws a dart at the board. "I've never been the kind of person that gets jealous or mad. And if you're telling the truth, then I don't really have to give you the spiel but I guess I'll do it anyways."

I stay quiet as he lets the darts go at the board. "If what you say is true and you don't have stirring feelings for Harper then great," He hits near the bullseye. "But one day or another you're probably going to feel something. Harper has that effect. She's beautiful. Kind. Caring. I love her more than anyone."

I don't doubt any of what he's saying. I cross my arms over my chest and see he's almost done with his darts. "I'm not going to get all protective and ask you to stay away from her, that's just impossible." Vincent finishes throwing his last dart and faces me, "I'm glad she has a good friend. I'm glad it's you and not some asshole. But I trust Harper and I know she loves me. I'm not worried about her being stolen away. There have been plenty of guys that have tried and failed. What we have is unwavering but I can also tell you're not those other guys."

I frown, "What do you mean?"

"Your conscious is good," Vincent hands me my darts. "You and I may not be best friends but from what everyone has said about you, your heart is always in the right place. Which is why I believe you wouldn't place yourself in the situation where you'd compromise your friendship with someone who's already in a committed relationship."

I want to say that he's wrong. But he's not. Vincent is basically summarizing my inner turmoil. Every time I think of Harper, I try to keep a safe distance from her. She is in a committed relationship. She looks up at Vincent with so much love and admiration it physically hurts me. He looks at her the same way. I'd rather have Harper as a friend then not have her around at all.

The thing is, I look up at Vincent and I can't help but hate him just a little bit. Not because he's with Harper but because he's a good guy that's with Harper. Vincent hasn't done anything wrong and it frustrates me. Even now, confronting me like this seems like a natural and mature way to go about it. I half expected he'd try to beat the shit out of me. No. He's trusting and caring and it only infuriates me more.

He and I would probably be good friends if we actually tried. The way he handles the situation of not being jealous or angry reminds me of my best friend Aaron. Except Aaron is a lot scarier than Vincent. And Aaron would make me feel belittled. If I ever had a girlfriend like Harper, I would definitely be the jealous type. I'm not going to bother to deny it. I wouldn't go full out and tell people to back off, but I'd definitely set a few things straight.

I take the darts and step behind the white line, "You don't have anything to worry about Vincent. And for what it's worth, you're a pretty solid guy too."

Vincent gives me a genuine smile. He grabs one of the stools and pulls it towards us so he can take a seat while I throw the darts. "Thank you Lo."

I smirk and throw a dart. I should try lightening the mood. The last thing I want is tension. "So how many times have you given that spiel?"

"A few times," Vincent answers honestly with a small laugh. "My friend Johnny actually got it."

I frown and look over at Johnny who's suddenly wearing his shoes on his hands. "Isn't Johnny dating Penny?"

"Yeah well," Vincent shrugs, "When I first introduced Johnny to Harper they got along pretty great. Then whenever she came to visit he would always linger. Eventually, he came to me one day and said, 'Dude I think I love your girlfriend and I don't know what to do about it.'"

I laugh, "How'd Harper and Penny react?"

"Well Harper doesn't know. Even today, she doesn't know so don't tell her." Vincent ends his last words sternly making me nod. "But I told her that Johnny needed to get over a girl. Harper helped me set him up with Penny and now they're like madly in love. Penny also doesn't know that Johnny had a thing for Harper. Best keep this on the down low."

"It'll stay as low as my name," I say causing Vincent to let out a small laugh. I grin slightly, finishing up with my last dart.

"Maybe we should just set you up with someone," Vincent says causing me to let out a humorless laugh. He walks over to the dart board and counts the points. He lets out a sigh before handing me the money, "Damn. You win."

"Like I said," I show off the two twenties in front of my face at Vincent. He rolls his eyes. "It's like stealing candy from a baby."

Harper

"Lo where are we going?" I ask for the thousandth time.

"Don't you like surprises?" Logan says with a playful smirk.

No, I think to myself. Honestly, I hate surprises. I like to have somewhat of an idea of where I'm going and what I'll be doing. It unsettles me more than anything when I don't know.

Logan hasn't elaborated at all. He's driving us up to the city and although he gave me a few hints, he just said that the kids I'm supposed to help out are friends of some friends. I'm excited to work with a group of kids, but I mean seriously where are we going?

Logan's car is so unbelievably old and rusty that I honestly didn't think it was going to start. It did manage to come to life but barely. I'm also sure this car would smell terribly like gas if it weren't for the air freshener on the rearview mirror. Logan also has a little sticker on the dashboard of Mater from the movie Cars.

"Don't you think you might need a new car?" I ask.

Logan glances in my direction as if hurt, "Why would I need that?"

I let out a small laugh by his surprised look, "What are you going to do when this car gives out?"

"Probably get another old piece of crap," Logan grins with a small shrug. "I like old cars. I mean sure, classic cars are nice and that'll eventually be the dream, but one day Toyota's and Honda's are also going to be classics."

"Yeah," I nod along sarcastically. "You know, when we discover how to make cars fly and not use fossil fuels."

"Wheels will become a commodity," Logan smiles. He takes the exit off the interstate. We've been driving for a while but the GPS says we're only ten minutes away. Logan has been playing oldies music softly and humming along. Every so often I'll look at him and smile.

His hands are tapping against the steering. He looks at ease and not at all depressed. I guess this is what surprises me the most. After finding out about his depression, I've been trying to figure out why and how? Why is he depressed and how couldn't I tell?

Sure, he wears long sleeves but after seeing his tattoo sleeve I figured it was to cover that up. Then it's his smile. Whenever he smiles he looks so happy. I mean, he smiles all the time. Logan enjoys everything small and laughs beautifully.

Right now, as he hums to the radio and smiles carefree, I can't help but wondering even more. His hair is a bit neater than usual and he's wearing jeans with a gray button down with his black leather jacket. I've never seen him in anything but a t-shirt or sweatshirt. He looks nice.

But speaking of his jacket. I love that jacket. It's probably one of the most comfortable warm jackets I've ever been in. It's not stiff like most leather. I'm sure it's real because it's heavy. But when I wore it on Halloween I couldn't help loving how warm it was and how it smelled just like Lo. It makes Lo look like an emo biker but it suits him.

I can't stop thinking of Halloween either. The way Logan and I danced and how amazing that party ended up being. But then I think back to his lips and I instantly push away the thought. It's just curiosity. Everyone is always curious.

"Almost here," Logan says bringing me out of my thoughts. He pulls into a neighborhood. It screams typical suburb. Trees and a sidewalk lining along all the houses. Maybe Veronica lives here.

Logan stops the car in front of a small little hut. A security guard opens the door to walk out to us and asks, "Address?"

Logan recites the number of the house and street. The security guard looks up at Lo and frowns. He turns around after holding his finger up to tell us to wait a moment. He goes back in the hut and calls someone on the phone.

"I probably look like someone who's going to spray paint the houses," Logan chuckles as he looks at me. He bites his lip ring with a grin, "It's because of my piercings."

I smile and avert my eyes so that I'm not staring at his lips. The guard puts the phone down and walks back to us. He nods his head and opens the gate to let us in. "Have a great day," Logan exaggerates a smile.

I can't help but laugh at the way Logan teases the security guard. "He deserved it," Logan smirks.

"Now will you tell me where we're going?" I ask as we drive through the neighborhood. There's a large clubhouse with a tennis court, pool, and park. Logan's smile only becomes wider as he pulls into another street.

"Don't get your panties in a twist," Lo rolls his eyes. We drive by the fancy houses. And I mean...fancy. The street we pull into has lawns with fountains. One house is modern and another looks more medieval.

"Whoa," I say as we pass a castle. I mean...it literally looks like a miniature castle. "It's Winterfell."

Logan follows my gaze and laughs, "Only a true Game of Thrones fan would say that."

I smile and keep looking out the window. Maybe Veronica does live here. Or maybe Logan's family. I never bring it up with Logan, but his parents must be totally loaded. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his family lives in a castle too.

Logan finally pulls into a driveway. The house itself is pretty big. It's definitely got a more modern look but it's modest. There's a small soccer net at one end of the lawn and a soccer ball next to it. Even for fall, the grass is still pretty green. I look up at the house—there's a minivan by the garage and I see a dog at the window that's watching us.

"Come on," Logan stops the car and we both get out. The dog starts barking lightly before going silent.

Logan walks up the steps to the house as I trail behind him. Across the street, there's another miniature castle. This house may be big, but it's a lot more modest than the rest. It can't possibly be Veronica's. She's much too flashy.

The doorbell rings and Logan pulls me next to him. The door opens a few seconds later making both Logan and I look down at the small little girl. My heart swells because oh my God, she's absolutely precious. Her blonde hair is pulled back in pigtails and she's wearing a USA soccer shirt with a pink tutu around her waist. There's a small mole on her chin.

"Daddy," She calls into the house as her eyes peek at us through the small crack of the door. She must be about five years old. Her eyes land on Logan and she frowns at him even though he looks just as taken aback by her adorableness. "There's something on your mouth."

"Yeah," Logan squats down so he's eye-level with her. She keeps her eyes on his lip ring. "It's a ring."

"On your mouth?" She seems bewildered yet intrigued. "Does it hurt?"

"No," Logan chuckles. "Not anymore."

"I want to see!" Another little shrill voice says behind the girl. A second head pops up at the door. A girl with the exact same eyes, hair, and face.

On my Lord, My heart suddenly leaps out of my chest. Twins...but...they look familiar.

The second girl frowns, "Daddy says stranger danger and you're a stranger."

"Daddy!" They both call again together into the house.

"I'm here," The door opens fully and I actually feel my knees give out. I put my hand on Logan's shoulder to stabilize myself. Staring right at us with a smile on his perfectly sculpted face is Blake Parris.

"Oh my God," I say aloud. "You're real."

Ok, not my brightest moment. But I am standing in front of a celebrity. Not just any celebrity—but a soccer sports star. I mean, Blake Parris is the oldest triplet amongst his brothers. He's blonde, broad, handsome. Basically, any girls dream. Hell, Vincent has probably dreamt of Blake Parris. He's the American version of Ronaldo, Messi, and even Beckham.

Blake picks up his daughters—Mallory and Velvet. I recognize them from the pictures and news articles. Logan looks over his shoulder giving me a broad smile. I can't even react, I'm frozen.

Blake holds his daughters on each side. He glances towards the one in the tutu. The only way I can differentiate her with her sister is the small mole she has on her chin that kind of likes a strawberry. "What did I tell you the other day about opening doors Velvet?"

She looks down shamefully, "To wait for you daddy. But Sammy was here!"

All of our eyes travel down to the dog who's lying down next to the door. He wags his tail when he hears his name but doesn't bother standing.

"And Mallory," Blake looks at his other daughter. "Have you finished packing your bag?"

"Yes daddy," She smiles proudly.

"Good," Blake sets both his daughters down. "Now go get your homework. The grown-ups have to talk."

They both giggle as they run away. Blake smiles at his kids before turning his attention back towards us. Logan is standing beside me now letting me squeeze his arm tightly. My jaw is basically on the floor. I can't even think straight right now.

"Please come in," Blake steps aside letting both Logan and I enter. I look around the house. There are toys and princess costumes littered all over the floor. The walls are decorated with Blake's soccer accomplishments and pictures of his daughters. There's a giant picture of the whole family. Blake, his brothers, and sisters along with his daughters. They all look like they're at a lake house but I try not to overanalyze it.

"You must be Harper," Blake smiles at me before turning to look at Lo. "And you must be Logan."

Lo nods and smiles back. They shake hands and I can't help noticing how calm Logan is. He must be accustomed to famous people there's no other explanation. In a steady voice he says, "Yes sir."

"My brother told me all about you. Your friend Aaron is very convincing," Blake then turns to look at me. "And of course, Harper the dance instructor."

"I-I," My stuttering is so embarrassing. I don't know what to do.

Blake looks back at Logan who's laughing. Lo speaks for me, "She's a huge fan. This is quite a surprise for her."

Blake grins at me again, "I'm flattered then."

"I'm going to faint," I say abruptly.

Logan puts his hand on my arm and Blake Parris laughs. I mean like...whoa his laugh. It's deep and full hearted. "Well I hope not," he says walking deeper into the house. We follow after he speaks. "My nanny is on vacation and my usual back up tutor is out of town. I ranted to Cole about it turns out he mentioned it to Logan's friend Aaron, who then apparently said something to your friend Logan. It was a long game of telephone but Logan said you love kids and you've got experience teaching. I don't usually find babysitters this way because the girls mean the world to me. But like I said, Aaron is a very convincing person."

We walk into Blake's kitchen. It's huge. His fridge looks bigger than my closet. There's a duffel bag set next to a door. This house is so much bigger on the inside. "I teach dancing," I finally say.

Blake nods, "So I've been told. It's fine. The girls have a bit of homework, but I mean you should be able to handle ABC's with a few addition problems. I've got a long practice so afterwards if they ask you to play dress up, the adult costumes are in the trunk beside theirs."

Logan smirks and asks, "Do you dress up Mr. Parris?"

Blake shakes up a bottle of what looks like protein shake. "Oh all the time," He grins devilishly. "I'm always the king. I have a crown and everything."

There's a list on the counter and I quickly look over it. I've babysat before. I can do this. Two girls shouldn't be too difficult. I mean...they're daughters of Blake Parris. Which means I'll be watching them like a hawk. But it shouldn't be any different.

"Food is in the fridge," Blake continues. We all hear the piddle-paddle of small feet coming down the stairs. "My number is on that paper if you need to contact me. My brothers, sister, and even parents are written down as well."

Oh my God, I look down to see all the numbers. I have all of their numbers. Blake, Cole, Shawn Parris along with Tori Linean. It's like being given the contact list from heaven.

The twins run back downstairs. Both of them are giggling while holding little books in their hands. Blake smiles and gets down on his knees, "Alright girls. Daddy has to go. Harper is going to take care of you."

Both of them run to Blake's sides and give him a big bear hug. "Have fun daddy," Velvet says.

"Can we watch a movie when you're back?" Mallory asks.

"Of course. Have fun with Harper, ok?" Blake kisses them each on the cheek with an exaggerated Mwah sound. They're about to run away when he stops them by holding onto the backs of their shirts. "Where's daddy's goodbye kisses?"

Mallory and Velvet both take a side and give Blake a kiss on the cheek. Blake smiles brightly like it's the best thing in the world. He gives them both one last hug before looking up at me. "Have fun and help yourself to anything."

Just as Blake is heading out, Logan smiles in my direction. "I've got to go to my sister's for dinner, I'm sure you've got everything covered here."

I glance at Mallory and Velvet. They're both broadly smiling up at me. I smile back, "Yeah I've got it handled."

*************

By the time Logan does leave, I'm left sitting around with the girls. They're adorable and amazing. I help them with their homework quickly. Mr. Parris was right, it wasn't difficult whatsoever. One of them was to color something in. They showed me where all their coloring tools are. I swear, Blake Parris spoils these two with everything.

"I want to show you my room," Mallory declares as she takes my hand in her little one. "It's pink."

"Come on Harper," Velvet takes my spare hand and they both drag me upstairs. My heart is actually melting.

The moment I step into the girl's room all I can think of is, Whoa. They have a castle bunkbed that has a slide leading to the door. The walls are painted pink, the curtains are pink, and even the dressers are pink. I mean...it's like walking into Barbie's dreamhouse.

"Do you girls like pink?" I ask with a smile weaving itself on my face.

"Yes!" They both shout enthusiastically. Velvet walks to the closet where she pulls out a pink soccer ball while Mallory goes to the book stand to grab a small children's story. By the door are two suitcases. A strawberry shaped one and another shaped like a unicorn.

"Daddy says he loves the color pink because we love the color pink," Velvet says.

"But," Mallory takes a deep breath and sits on the bottom bunk. She opens the book up and starts flipping through the pictures. "Uncle Shawn says pink is the color that gives unicorns their special power."

"No," Velvet argues. "Rainbows give unicorns special powers."

"Nuh-huh," Mallory suddenly looks offended. "Rainbows keep the magic alive, but pink gives unicorns their powers."

I decide to intervene before they get into a fight. "Are you girls going on vacation?" I end up asking.

"Uncle Shawn is..." Velvet's words stop flowing. She stifles a confused expression before looking at her sister for help. "What's it called Mal?"

"Marry," Mallory looks up triumphantly. "Uncle Shawn is marry Aunt Em tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I say with wide eyes. I totally forgot that Shawn Parris is engaged. He proposed to his girlfriend in what I think is a super adorable manner. Shawn Parris is a famous author who overcame cancer. No one really thought he was going to survive but when he did, he proposed in the dedication of his new book. His books are fantastic. He even admitted he didn't start reading until he met his girlfriend.

"Yeah Saturday," Velvet goes into her closet and pulls out several dresses.

Today is Saturday, I'm going to assume she means next week and not tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the media would have announced something by now if Shawn Parris was getting married tomorrow. "Are you excited?" I decide to ask.

"Aunt Tobi and Uncle Mark is going to be there," Velvet perks up. "Tobi always sings and plays soccer with me."

"And Uncle Cole is going," Mallory adds. "He always gives me books and I love books."

I lean back against the wall and glance at all the pictures. Around the girl's room I notice they've been to more places in the world than I have. It's nerve racking knowing five-year old's have traveled throughout the United States and even abroad whereas the only time I've been to the beach is when I went to Florida with Vincent's family.

On a frame by the girl's bed is a picture of them beside a young woman with blonde hair. She's quite pretty honestly. She also looks really young. She must be their mother. From everything I know, Blake and the mom share custody of the twins.

Mallory walks up to me and starts pulling my sleeve, "Do you like waffles?"

"I love waffles," I smile. "Want me to make you guys some?"

"Yes!" They both run out the room all the way downstairs. I chuckle and slowly trail after them. In the kitchen on the counter where Blake left me the note, he also left some waffle mix and instructed where the waffle maker is.

It's a princess waffle maker that indents a castle and crown on the waffles. I think it's absolutely adorable. A man like Blake who looks intimidating and macho eats waffles that have castles and crowns on them. Cute.

I let the girls watch TV while I'm making their dinner. Yeah, waffles for dinner. Who am I to argue? They're the boss not me. And Blake's note says they're allowed to eat what they want as long as it doesn't have a lot of sugar or any caffeine.

I cut up some fruit to place it beside the finished waffles then grab the syrup I find in the pantry. By the way, the pantry is ginormous. Sammy—their dog—trails behind me like he's wondering who I am and what I'm doing.

I call the girls into the kitchen to eat up their dinner. They hurry back, taking seats around the dining table that only has three chairs. Two of which have the girl's names engraved on the head. "Do they taste good?" I ask as they take a few bites.

They both nod. Mallory swallows down her food, "Uncle Shawn makes the best waffles."

I chuckle, "I'm sure he does."

"Do you play soccer?" Velvet asks me abruptly with wide eyes. Even though she and her sister look exactly alike except for the birthmark, I can already tell how they're going to grow up. Mallory is more interested in books like her uncles. Velvet seems very passionate in soccer.

"No," I shake my head softly and give her an apologetic smile. "But my friend does."

Friend? I think to myself. Did I just call Vincent my friend? That's the first time since ever I haven't called him my boyfriend. Maybe it's better to refer to him as a friend to little kids though. I don't want them to start thinking I'm gross for kissing a boy.

Velvet sinks down in disappointment and pushes some strawberry across her plate. "But," I say quickly. "I'm a ballerina."

Do I want these kids to like me? Yes. To be fair, I want any kid to like me. And saying you're a ballerina makes most girls go crazy. Velvet and Mallory look up at me with wide eyes and gasp loudly like in the movies. Mallory drops her fork and jumps up on her chair.

"Can you dance with us?" She exclaims loudly while clapping her hands.

"Daddy is a bad dancer," Velvet adds. Picturing Blake Parris dancing ballet with his daughters warms my heart but also makes me laugh.

I smile, "Finish dinner and then we can dance, ok?"

They eat as fast as they can. Then they drag me to the living room where I find a stereo and a few CDs beside it. They're all Tori Linean's albums. Tori being Blake Parris step-sister. She's easily as amazing as the rest of her stepbrothers. I put in her CD and the girls instantly start jamming out to the songs making me laugh.

"Dance, dance, dance," The girls start chanting to me. I laugh and give them a few moves. I'm not wearing my pointe shoes but I manage to turn a few times. Trying to show off as much as I can to them. They sit down on the couch and look up at me with big round eyes and clap whenever I do something cool.

By the time I'm done, they're both dancing along with me. They're jumping on the sofa's and singing loudly to their aunt's song. We're in the middle of the mini dance party when we hear the bell of the door go off. I shut the music off just as Blake shouts into the house, "Girls I'm home."

"Daddy!" They both jump off the couch and start running to the garage door. I walk towards them just as Blake drops his bag on the ground and gets on his knees to meet his daughters impact.

He picks both of them up at the same time giving them a bear hug. Squeezing them tightly and shaking them back and forth as they giggle. "Where are my kisses?" He asks causing the girls to giggle more. They both lean in, each giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Daddy Harper showed us how to dance like a ballerina," Velvet smiles. "I want to play soccer and dance."

"Can I dance too Daddy?" Mallory adds. "Dancing means I can wear pink."

"We'll talk about it, ok?" Blake chuckles before turning to face me. He smiles gently, "Did they behave well?"

I smile back, "Like little angels."

"Good," Blake kisses them each on the cheek. "You girls go get into your PJ's and let the adults talk. When you're back we'll watch Tangled, ok?"

"Can we sleep in your bed tonight, Daddy?" Velvet asks. She brings her hands up in begging position that makes both Blake and I laugh. Mallory musters puppy dog eyes making Blake sigh and nod.

They both scream in approval as Blake sets them down. They run up the stairs and I can't help smiling. I don't ever think I've seen a father care so much about his daughters. It's like his whole world revolves around his girls and then his job—which is honestly a pretty awesome job.

Blake grabs his duffel bag setting it to the side with some dirty shoes that are placed on a mat. His hair is wet from what I assume is a post-practice shower. He's changed into some sweatpants and a regular T-shirt. I don't understand how he does it all. Practice must be brutal for him yet he seems to come home with energy to hang out with his daughters.

"Did their mother call?" He asks me as he pulls a backpack off his shoulders. Sammy sits at his feet wagging his tail. Blake grabs a bone biscuit and tosses it to his dog.

"No phone calls," I say shaking my head. "Although, I think your brother left a voicemail."

Blake raises his eyebrow and walks to the answering machine. He presses a button that makes a high pitch beeping sound before someone speaks, 'Aliens! OoooWWoooo! They're coming to get you Blake. Spooky!'

'What are you doing?' A woman says on the voice machine.

'Shh!' The man hushes. 'I'm trying to scare Blake. Come on, join me Em.'

Together, the two of them start to make "spooky" noises. 'Ooooooh!' The guy continues along with the girl. Then he says, 'Flying saucers. Wieners! Ha-ha, wieners. We have a lot of those here in New York.'

'Shawn,' The girls says.

'Right!' He keeps going, 'Aliens! Beep-beep-boop-boop. That's bye in alien.'

The line gets cut off. Blake stands there, staring at his answering machine with the most confused expression I've ever seen on a person. He puts his hands over his eyes and takes a deep sigh while shaking his head. He turns his focus back to me and pushes a smile through his confusion, "My brother Shawn and his fiancé are getting married in a week."

"I'm glad," I say honestly. I go ahead and grab my jacket folding it over my arm. "I've always liked them together."

Blake nods and walks over to his backpack. He pulls out what looks like a typical brown shopping bag you'd get at any retail store. We start to hear the little girls running around upstairs. "In here you'll find your pay," Blake says then smiles at me softly. "And a few souvenirs because you said you're a fan."

I peek inside the bag and see a jersey—signed—by Blake Parris. Then a picture and a few other things that make my mouth drop. I pull out a set of tickets to the next game in the city. "Oh my God," I strain. I don't even know how to say thank you because I'm so stunned.

The twins run back downstairs. Velvet is in a blue set of PJs that have a soccer ball on it and Mallory is wearing pink with a unicorn. They start jumping around Blake's feet before he tells them to run into the living room. "Thank you for taking care of my girls," Blake walks towards me and shakes my hand.

I'm shaking...Blake...Parris'...hand. My mind processes.

"Your boyfriend is waiting outside," Blake says as he begins to make his way to the living room.

"Oh," I say assuming he's talking about Logan. "Lo isn't my boyfriend. He's just a friend."

Blake raises his eyebrow at me and smirks, "It's like Tori and Mark all over again."

I frown unsure what me means by that. "Sorry?"

"Hope to see you soon Harper," Blake grins. "I'd let you out, but I've got to go sing When Will My Life Begin. Just close the door, I'll lock it later."

He disappears around the corner into the living room. I hear him exclaim at his daughters making them both yell out with approval. I can't help but smile. He's absolutely adorable and is a fantastic father.

I grab my bag and head out the front door. Sure enough, Logan parked his car underneath the street lamp that's turned on because it's dark. He's leaning against the passenger side of the car with one foot propped up on the wheel and his hands stuffed in his pockets. "Lo!" I shout.

He instantly smiles and perks up when he see's me. I can't help but smile back. God, does Logan have the best smile.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Disclaimer: I want to dress us as America for Halloween. 

This chapter didn't have much to do with the plot line except for the beginning. But I hope that all my 3 Stepbrothers fans loved this. I loved writing it. Because let's be honest, we all love Blake. Not as much as Shawn but it's still there lol. 

Anyways, comment what you think of the chapter. Please vote. Please please vote. And lemme know what you're thinking of Vincent right now. Because again--I'm curious. 

Peace out my lovely's 

Vote

Comment

Share

Thanks  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

436 10 39
Claire Fortescue has a big secret. She's been hiding her social anxiety from those closest to her. Until she meets Brock, that is. He's funny, caring...
2.1K 303 29
Spencer isn't the average seventeen year old girl. She is intelligent, sassy, stubborn, independent and beautiful ( she doesn't see it, for she is lo...
1K 95 17
WARNING!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE MY ENDING AS IT IS QUITE UBRUPT! THANK YOU. TAKE PRECAUTION. I WARNED YOU. Everyone has a...
1.2M 26K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...