Steal Your Heart

By emariep

NOTE: SUZANNE COLLINS OWNS ALL CHARACTERS! I AM NOT COPYWRITING! ALL RIGHTS TO THESE CHARACTERS GOES TO SUZAN... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue

Chapter 12

1.4K 80 23
By emariep

I wake up, and immediately walk to the kitchen for breakfast. I make myself some chocolate chip pancakes. When they are done cooking, I sit down on my couch and devour the wonderful chocolatey goodness. I turn on the tv and finish my pancakes. I am searching for a movie on my DVR, and I find Mean Girls. I watch the entire movie, which is like two hours long, when I hear a knock at the door. I walk over and open the door to find Peeta.

"Good afternoon, Katniss," he says, smiling. "I was wondering, do you want to go to the cafe for lunch?"

"Sure, just let me get a shower and get dressed. Give me about 30 minutes," I say, after I look down to see myself still in my pajamas: short, black gym shorts (not really short, just like the girls gym shorts you get from walmart); and a tan tank top. I tell Peeta he can watch tv while he waits for me.

I get a shower, and when I get out, I dress in some jean shorts and an orange t-shirt. I slide on some black converse, and braid my wet hair down my back. I grab my wallet and phone, and head to the living room where Peeta is. He hears me coming and turns his head to look at me.

"You ready to go?" he asks, standing up and turning off the tv.

"Yeah. Let's go," I say. I grab my house key on the way out and lock the door.

We get into Peeta's truck, and he drives us the short distance to the cafe. He parks, then comes around and opens my door for me, helping me out of his truck. I smile at him and he smiles back. We walk up to the counter, and order our food. As I try to get out my wallet to pay, Peeta stops me.

"No, let me pay. Whenever you are with me, it's my treat to you. Don't worry about it," he says. I start to object, but he stops me. "Remember what I told you yesterday? About letting people do something nice for you?" I nod slowly. "Well then, let me be nice. Come on, let's go find a table," he says.

"Fine. But I owe you," I say.

"No. You don't," he says, grabbing my hand. He pulls me along with him to a table in the back. "So, Katniss, I need to tell you something," Peeta starts, but I cut him off when I see someone walk into the cafe.

"Laugh at something I said," I say quickly, but quietly.

"What?" he asks quietly, but he laughs anyways. I walk over and sit on his lap. I lean to his ear and whisper.

"Look who just walked in," I whisper. He looks up and sees who I am talking about. Gloss.

When I see Gloss look over at us, I give Peeta a kiss on the cheek. Peeta places one arm around my back and claims my hand with his other hand. I let out a giggle, which is not normal for me at all. Gloss comes walking towards us.

"Kiss me," I whisper to Peeta. He looks at me with a confused look on his face. He heard my voice, but he doesn't know what I said. I place my hand on the back of his neck, pulling him close to me in a kiss. That's when we hear someone clear their throat. We break away and look up at Gloss.

"Can we help you with something?" Peeta asks with a monotone voice. I giggle at this.

"Um, yeah. Hello Kitty Kat. Did you miss me? I just got home from my family vacation in Hawaii," says Gloss.

"I didn't even know you left. No wonder it was so peaceful here," I say. I see Peeta smirk.

"So, do you want to go to a party with me tomorrow? I haven't found a date, because I wanted give your beautiful self the chance of a lifetime," Gloss says.

"I have to sing in the talent show tomorrow, so no. Sorry, not sorry," I say.

"Katniss, baby, one of these days you'll realise your love for me. And until that day comes, I will be waiting," Gloss says.

"I wouldn't hold my breathe," I say. And then I add, "On second thought, hold your breathe." I smile and stand up, grabbing Peeta's hand. Peeta follows me out of the cafe, and to his car.

"I am so sorry that you have to deal with him. That must be tiring," Peeta says as he drives back to my apartment.

"I'm just so thankful that you help me with that. Thank you, really," I say.

We walk up to my door, and I unlock it, letting Peeta in. We go to sit down on the couch. Peeta sits in the reclining couch seat, and I lay down with my head on his chest. His arm automatically goes around me. We sit there in silence for a few minutes, when I think back to the cafe.

"Peeta, what was it that you were trying to tell me back at the cafe?" I ask. But then it dons on me that he has been trying to tell me something for these past two weeks. "Wait, is it the same thing you have been trying to tell me this whole time?" He nods. "Well, it must be important if you keep trying to tell me. Right?" He shrugs. "Just tell me now."

"Well-," he starts, but gets cut off by my phone ringing.

"Oh come on!" I pick up my phone to see who is calling. Annie. "It's Annie," I tell Peeta.

"It's fine, I'll tell you after you talk to her. It's alright. Go ahead," he says.

I answer the phone.

"Hey, Kat! Where have you been? I haven't seen you for the past few days," Annie says.

"Um, I haven't been here, because I was with Prim," I say, trying to hold back the tears. I look over at Peeta who senses my discomfort. He takes the phone from me.

"Hey, Annie, it's Peeta. I'm gonna put you on speaker, okay?" Peeta says. He presses the speaker button and sets the phone down between us, so we can both hear Annie.

"So, why were you with Prim? Sister-bonding time?" Annie asks. I let some of my tears fall.

"Not really, Annie. You see, Prim has been in a car accident. She had broken ribs that punctured her left lung. She is not doing well, Annie," Peeta says. (A/N: I know earlier I said it was her heart, but then I was like 'if she punctured her heart, she would be dead' so I changed it. Sorry for any confusion)

"Oh my goodness. Katniss, honey are you okay? I'll tell Finnick. I am so sorry, Katniss. I know how much you loved her," Annie says.

"Katniss was wondering if you would videotape her song at the talent show tomorrow. She wants to show it to Prim when she wakes up," Peeta says.

"Of course, Katniss. But you don't have to do the the talent show. Finn would understand. Really, you don't," Annie says.

"I want to, Annie. I want to do it for Prim. I know she would like to hear it, so that's why I want you to video it," I say softly. My tears are flowing in a steady stream now.

"Of course, Katniss. I'll see you tomorrow," Annie says.

"Bye, Annie," Peeta says, then he hangs up the phone.

Peeta takes me in his arms. He rubs circles into my back, soothingly.

"Lay down, Katniss," Peeta says. I do and eventually I drift off to sleep. I wish I hadn't, because a nightmare comes rushing into my dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It's my birthday. I am turning 18 today. My father decides to take me to the little, outside ice cream parlor for a treat, just the two of us. The parlor is in walking distance from our house, so we decide to walk there.

"What kind of ice cream do you want, sweety?" my daddy asks me.

"Can I get the cotton candy flavor in a waffle cone? Thats my favorite!" I ask.

"Well, since it's your birthday, I suppose we can do that," daddy says, smiling.

He orders our ice creams and pays for it. We sit down at one of the little tables, talking about random things as we finish our ice creams. We get up to leave, and throw our trash away. We stand on the sidewalk, by the crosswalk, waiting for the light to say it's safe to walk. When the light comes on, we start to cross the street. As we do, a big, red truck comes right for me. I let out a scream as I hear my father yell for me to run. Before I know it, my father throws me out of the way, just in time for that big, red truck to hit him head on.

"Daddy! Daddy, no!" I scream, with tears falling freely from my eyes. I can hear the music pounding from the truck fading as they continue down the road. They were so drunk, they didn't even bother to stop. I keep screaming out for my daddy as people come gathering around. "Daddy! NO! NO!" I scream through my sobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Katniss! Wake up, Katniss! Come on, it's okay," I hear a familiar voice. Peeta. I can feel the tears keep rolling down my cheeks, but my eyes are still closed. "Come on, Katniss. You're okay now. Everything is ok. Open your eyes, Katniss. Wake up," he continues.

I finally open my eyes, and immediately see shining, blue orbs piercing into my soul. I tell him about my dream and continue to cry, until there are no tears left for me. Peeta hugs me gently, rubbing circles into my back, soothingly. I calm down, taking in his scent.

"You okay?" Peeta asks.

"Yeah. It just still upsets me to think about it, you know?" I say softly. Peeta nods. We sit there for a few more minutes, when Peeta speaks up.

"So, Katniss, I know this isn't the best time to tell you, but I have been trying to tell you this for a while. It's now or never," Peeta stutters a little as he talks. He never stutters, never.

"What is it, Peeta?" I ask, cautiously. Whatever it is, it can't be good.

"Katniss, I..........."

A/N: Cliff-hanger!!! Hahahah, I feel so mean! LOL! So it seems that no one has been interested in what Peeta has been trying to tell her, so I made it into a cliff-hanger! Although, I don't even know if anyone noticed that he had been trying to tell her something this whole time. Oh well! Ya'll shall wait and see!!! Special thanks to @02220222anna4 for giving me the amazing idea for the nightmare! With out you, I wouldn't have been able to finish the chapter! So go follow her and vote on all of her stuff!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335K 4.4K 36
Katniss and Peeta will be together forever. With thier new kid here, how will they cope? WARNING: I wrote this book when I was 11-12 years old. The c...
51.9K 1.1K 54
What if Peeta and Katniss's "love" wasn't real at all? In this everthorne fan fic, Katniss realizes that what she has been telling Peeta for years, r...
12.5K 234 41
This Story takes place after mocking jay, but before the epilogue. Its the story of how Peeta and Katniss grew back together after the war. I will t...
6.9K 62 1
Set a few months after Peeta comes back from the Capitol in the ending of Mockingjay. Katniss tries to mend their relationship, but it is not always...