An Improper Courtship

By ChocolateSensation

In a story of healing, love and family, follow the stories of three sisters Rosalie, Alyssa and Honey as they... More

An Improper Courtship
An Improper Meeting
An Improper Lunch
Memories
An Improper Dinner
Collapse
It was probably an Improper Deal
Destroying improperly
Improper Connection
An Improper dream
Brotherly Games
Natural Insanity
Insanity
An Improper Game
Old Wounds
Under the Sycamore tree
Improper Mother
Weakness or Strength
An improper midnight encounter
Morning emotions
Improper picnic
Improper Guest
Improper care
No going back
Proper Courtship
Improper journey
Improper requests
Nightmares
Outpourings of truth
Rehabilitation
Proper Jewel
Author update

Improper past decisions

3K 192 11
By ChocolateSensation

Edited

Alyssa's departure was organised by everyone but Alyssa, who sat in a daze for hours and when it was time to leave,  moved as though a marionette. Rosalie didn't have much to say to Alyssa, she wished her a speedy recovery and speedy return. Honey hesitated whether she should hug her sister, but her emotions overcame her actions and she went in for the embrace. Alyssa stood rigid, she had no anger towards Honey but the public affection made her uncomfortable. She was too close to the edge of emotions and when those emotions spilt there would be no end.

"That will do," she said forcing a lack of emotions,

"I only want the best for you sister," Honey whispered ignoring Alyssa's reaction since she understood her sister's personality, "I will write to you often and if you ever want me to visit you, I will come."

Alyssa would greatly appreciate it if Honey offered to accompany her, they had always been together in presence even if they often didn't share many words or emotions. The lack of communication that had developed in their relationship meant that Honey didn't know if she should ask if she could come with her. She knew she'd miss her reconnection with James but James would find a way to be near her.

"Try not to miss me much," Alyssa said instead, it was an attempt at humour but it sounded stoic. James and Blake stood in front of their cousin and tried to find the correct words for the situation,

"Time will fly by, I am sure, Scotland is known for their hospitality and who knows maybe you will see my friend Nessie," James smiled, Alyssa raised an eyebrow at the golden boy,

"I think you forget why I am leaving,"

"We shall see you very soon," Blake said, Alyssa looked up at him, and downturned grimace,

"I won't forget your involvement in this, Blake"

"I can only hope that you won't when you are cured," Blake stated. James hugged and kissed Alyssa's forehead.

Sir Michael stood by the door of the carriage and helped his daughter in before entering after her and sitting in front of his daughter.

"I searched for the best solutions, Alyssa. I spent the whole night attempting to find the most convenient solution for all of us involved. I do not want you so far away, but I failed and this was the finest option."

"Then let me stay, then father," Alyssa said softly, it was her last attempt.

"I want to, more than anything, but this isn't about what I want, my daughter, it's about you, what you need to heal." Sir Michael took his daughter's cheeks in his hands and kissed them, "I love you." He hadn't said those words to Alyssa in a while, because of the defences she had built around her. He decided that it was time to break those defences and allow himself in.

Alyssa couldn't find the strength to respond to those words, she just shrugged away the tears that she felt welling and hugged her father quickly. It was a fleeting moment but it sent a sense of relief that Sir Michael was taking the right course of action.

Lady Kate did not come down to say goodbye to her daughter, they had said their final words in the library that morning. She was also afraid that she would lose her resolve in sending her daughter away and that Alyssa's words would sway her, instead she placed a letter in the bag that Alyssa would have access to during her travel. From her bedroom window, Lady Kate observed as her husband stepped out the carriage a face of confusion.

Lord Ethan had pulled his horse up to a halt near the carriage, descended, bowed to her husband and went to shake hands with Blake who now stood in the entrance court with her daughter, ward and her younger nephew. There were short words shared and a brotherly hug. He moved to bow to Honey, kissed Rosalie's hands and laughed at something she said. He went back to the carriage, peaked his head into the carriage to carry a message to Alyssa, then remounted his horse. The duo commenced on their four-day journey. The waves from Honey did not cease till the carriage was out of view. From her birds-eye view of observation, Lady Kate did not hear her husband come into the room,

"We did the right thing, Katherine," Sir Michael reassured, Lady turned startled. She swallowed and sat by the seat window.

"I doubt she will ever forgive me,"

"Trust her, trust us she is our only shared daughter." Sir Michael said, "You are the most forgiving woman I know, she has it within her to be the same,"

Lady Kate closed her eyes and pursed her lips to prevent the tears from escaping, "Despite that being correct, Honey although not our daughter by blood, shows us that she is more forgiving between the two of them,"

Sir Michael knelt by his wife, a couple that had grown and weathered so much in 25 years of marriage, mutually agreeing to fake a pregnancy twenty years ago.

"He would be very proud of the girl she has grown up to become," Lady Kate whispered to her husband, she was changing the subject.

"Do you think Edward would want us to explain the situation to her?" Sir Michael's had recently been thinking of the situation a lot more. With his wife's terminal illness, Alyssa's condition, the introduction of Rosalie in his life, he felt lies were the worst thing. However, he feared losing Honey with the truth. The lie that they had spun was weighing on his shoulders.

"He always insisted we should adopt her as our own and no one should suspect that she wasn't," Lady Kate reminded him. Her first love had always been an intractable man but the chaos he had woven after she had been forced to marry Sir Michael had been knotted so messily, he had involved her, her husband and her sister.

After her forced marriage to Sir Michael, Edward in his anger and jealousy had found solace in an amante that was after his wealth. She used a child to blackmail him. Her sole aim was to ensure a luxurious life. She planned to blackmail a huge fortune out of him or he would have the death of his unborn child on his hands.

"She's threatening to kill it, If I do not fulfil her requirements," Edward whispered, he was not the same as the man she loved, pale complexion and eyes filled with sadness.

"What do you wish me to do?" Lady Kate was surprised to see him after 5 years of absence, and with such overbearing news, her emotions were conflicted.

"Ruby says that I must find a suitable home for the unborn babe, she wants it to have better opportunities than herself but I know she only says this because she is trying to make everything harder for me,"

"How many months along is she?" Lady Kate was keeping her questions short,

"5 months,"

"I must tell Michael, Edward," Katherine explained, she knew he would have no right to reject helping since she had started to forgive him and do her duty as a wife despite him travelling to Paris often for pleasure.

Katherine loved the man that stood before her, childhood lovers, first love, fate had dictated they could not be each other's, last love. After seeing the woman Edward had allowed in his life, his poor judgement and lack of control she began to understand why they would have been wrong for one another. After 4 years of anger, bitterness and depression the birth of Alyssa had made her see the world differently and now he was back. Back requesting help in a situation he had created out of despair for their lost love. The years of their love and familiarity meant that she wanted to help against all odds

"I understand, tell him. I cannot lose the baby."

Kate could see how much Edward wanted the babe. Edward saw the unborn babe as a light in his darkness of lost love. He would not lose the child either.

It wasn't long until the three decided that it would be best for Lady Kate and Sir Michael to take the child than strangers, Edward would have full access to his child and any or all reasons to see it. Sir Michael agreed it was the least he could do, he was not an unreasonable man and he knew it was the least of things he owed to his wife. Their marriage had brought stability in his finances and she had learnt to accept his choices and life. They had begun to reach comfortable normality in their relationship

"We will announce that I am with child and I will arrange for my pregnancy clothing and padding to make it realistic, I will take an urgent journey to my sister's near the due date of your lady friend and I will return home with the child," Lady Kate explaining the stratagem for the next few months,

"As for the blackmailing of this woman, we must put an end to it," Sir Michael and Edward spent weeks ensuring the details were specific to prevent any loopholes. She would sign it after the birth of the child meanwhile Edward had to convince her she would receive everything she desired to keep his child safe from danger.

As fate would have it, Ruby was one of the 800 women to die due to pregnancy or childbirth. Unfortunately, no one mourned her death. It was felt that she got what she deserved and it would save the family much money as well as remove the constant threat of public revelation that would be alive. Honey grew up with a father she would not remember because when she reached the age of three Uncle Edward had to go on a trip and a few weeks later it was reported that he had been in a shipwreck. The will left a big part of his wealth to Honey and a simple note.

"Perhaps it would be best to explain it to her, she is old enough to handle the news," Sir Michael confessed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 1.1K 60
Formerly known as "The Heartthrob Won't Leave Me Alone!" - "God Blake, you're a true enigma" Her eyes widened slightly at his words. "I don't underst...
834K 30.9K 49
Love? No thanks. Cassidy Jordan won't open her heart to anyone after a devastating romance caused her death the first time she turned eighteen. As a...
4.6K 246 25
I'm weak and broken, tormented by monsters that keep reaching for me, touching my body, hurting me, living marks on my skin and soul. I don't know h...