My Little Decoy

By anticlimactic

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley Life for Lacey Carson hasn't b... More

My Little Decoy
♪ Prologue ♪
♪ Relive the Start ♪ {1}
♪ Going Away For a While ♪ {2}
♪ No One Ever Has to Know ♪ {3}
♪ Speak Softly ♪ {4}
♪ Such Fragile Broken Things ♪ {5}
♪ Lost in All My Selfish Thoughts ♪ {6}
♪ It's Only the Real World ♪ {7}
♪ What I'm Wishing For ♪ {8}
♪ I Caught Myself ♪ {9}
♪ I've Seen Love Die ♪ {10}
♪ Everything's Gonna Fall Right into Place ♪ {11}
♪ Ignorance is Your New Best Friend ♪ {12}
♪ She Lives in a Fairy Tale ♪ {13}
♪ More Alive Than Ever ♪ {14}
♪ No One Knows Us At All ♪ {15}
♪ Hello Cold World ♪ {16}
♪ I'm a Renegade It's In My Blood ♪ {17}
♪ Face Down in the Lies ♪ {18}
♪ Best Be On My Way Out ♪ {19}
♪ I Still Feel the Same ♪ {20}
♪ It's Not a Dream Anymore ♪ {21}
♪ Keep It Locked ♪ {22}
♪ Here We Go Again ♪ {23}
♪ Some Of Us Have to Grow Up Sometimes ♪ {24}
♪ Feel The Pressure ♪ {25}
♪ I Belong. That's What's Going On ♪ {26}
♪ You're Alive to Feel ♪ {27}
♪ All We Know ♪ {28}
♪ Where the Dreamers Go ♪ {29}
♪ Explain to Me ♪ {30}
♪ Before it Gets Any Better ♪ {31}
♪ It's the Only Plan That I've Got ♪ {32}
♪ We Only See Straight Ahead ♪ {33}
♪ Cold Reality ♪ {34}
♪ Not a Little Girl No More ♪ {35}
♪ No One Is As Lucky As Us ♪ {36}
♪ All The Trouble Caused ♪ {37}
♪ That's What You Get ♪ {38}
♪ Please Don't Get Me Wrong ♪ {39}
♪ I'll Take the Truth at Any Cost ♪ {40}
♪ There's Hope Buried Beneath it All ♪ {41}
♪ Sing Us a Song ♪ {42}
♪ Author's Note ♪

♪ Epilogue ♪

4.4K 251 84
By anticlimactic

I paused, taking in the view of my hotel room, and sucking in a deep breath.

"I can't believe this is really happening..." I whispered, rubbing at my eyes and looking around.

The entire room was as big as my entire apartment back in Seattle, and the four walls were painted a soothing ivory color. Each had decorations of leaves and vines intertwining with one another, all coming together at the head of the King-sized bed in the middle of the room. There was a small area with two couches and a TV, combined with the kitchen and refrigerator. Cautiously, I hoisted my suitcase onto its wheels and exited the doorframe, walking into the room and feeling as if I were in Narnia instead.

"Is this all real?" My breath hitched as my gaze caught the view outside; London was absolutely beautiful. Though a bit dreary and gray, a bit of sunshine peaked through a small crevice in the sky, allowing a bit of yellow hue to rain down on the skyscrapers and passing cars.

The city was alive, reminding me of my own hometown. They were both similar: both a little dark but cheery. People were like ants from my window, hustling and bustling along the sidewalks, entering and exiting buildings, chattering and just being whole.

I turned away reluctantly, wheeling my suitcase towards the bed and dumping the luggage onto the ivy comforters. Sitting on the edge of the mattress, I closed my eyes and extended my arms to my sides.

Immediately I melted into the mattress, a soft, delusional smile on my lips. I laughed, and once I started I found that I couldn't stop. I was free.

I was free.

After letting out a loud sigh, I hoisted myself up onto my elbows and pushed the lock of hair that swept I to my eyes, blocking my vision. Once I could see again, my gaze was already fixed on the window once more.

There was something that caught my eye; and it came in the form a small building amidst the modern looking buildings beside it. It was out of place and worn down, it's exteriors bricked and the red fading. I climbed off the bed to take a closer look at it.

It was small and cozy; the windows were covered in antique looking posters and the display window held an array of vintage items rarely seen in the twenty-first century. There were three record players, sitting behind a small television set that look like it was from the fifties.

The sign above the auburn door read, Wreck-It Records: London Edition.

I didn't know why, but I found myself drawn to the quaintness of the place, so different from everything else. It didn't take long for me to realize I was heading there. Quickly abandoning the chore of unpacking my suitcase, I swiped my hotel key off the table and put it into my pocket before leaving the room.

It took two paces to the right as I paused at the door beside mine, holding up a fist and knocking on the wood. It opened after the third knock and an exhausted looking Xander answered the door. His blonde hair was brushed to the side, and his blue eyes looked tired from the long trip to the UK. "Lacey? Is something wrong?"

"I'm going to go exploring for a bit - I just stopped by to let someone know. Tell the others for me, okay?" I replied, leaning against the doorframe with a smirk.

"Is that Drake again?" I heard Zac's voice yell from inside. "Tell him I'm not switching back until he gives me back my deodorant!"

"It's Lacey!" Xander yelled back before turning back to me with a frown. "It's not fair that we have to share rooms but you get one all to yourself."

"Being the only girl in the band has its perks," I said with a wink, sliding off the edge of the doorframe and sticking my hands in my pockets. "Anyway, I'm heading out. Just call me if Gabriel decides on a sudden practice session like he always does."

"Will do. Don't get mugged." Xander smirked, ruffling my hair.

"I'll try not to," I laughed and bid him farewell, making my way down the corridors and out of the hotel. Once the door opened, I was hit with a gust of humidity, making me grimace. But even with the groggy weather, it wouldn't stop me from relishing the fact that I was in an entirely different country.

Wreck-It Records was already within sight - it was just across the street. Making sure I had some money on me, I blended into the crowd of passersby, heading for the crosswalk so I could get to the other side. The footsteps of people walking and the rumbling noise of chatter made me feel secure, like I was back home in Seattle.

I crossed the busy street - gawking for a split second about how their driving lane was on the left, not the right - and pushed through the doors of the old record shop, immediately hit with the scent of old books and guitar wood. It was comforting, and I knew that I would instantly love this place.

"Welcome, welcome!" a voice to my right startled me. Turning in the direction it came from, I was met with the sight of a young woman - her raven black hair was cut short into a pixie cut, shielding the right eye. She was like the definition of punk rock, dressed in a lacy black mini dress and fishnet stockings, piercings in her eyes and nose. Her voice was high and cute, different than what I expected.

"Hey," I greeted casually, taking out a hand and waving towards her.

"I'm Sasha, by the way," she said in her accent, and I cracked a smile.

"Lacey." I replied, wincing at how American I sounded.

"American?" Sasha guessed, her voice like laughter.

"How could you tell?" I replied sarcastically, though it was lighthearted.

"Lucky guess," the woman replied, leaning onto her counter with her elbows. her ruby red lips were curved into a smile, as she cocked her head in my direction. "So what brings you to my brother's humble store?"

"Your brother's store?"

"Yeah," Sasha stretched her arms over her head, rolling her neck. "He's over in America now actually, been there for a while. Wreck-It actually started there, but I asked him if I could start a branch here in his hometown."

"Do you know where? Maybe I'll see run into him one day."

"I doubt it," Sasha waved a hand nonchalantly. "He lives in some nowhere town called Somerset. But enough about him, do you need help with anything or are you just gonna look around?"

"I think I'll look for now," I said sheepishly, giving a surreptitious glance towards the rest of the store. But something on the counter made me pause, glancing down at it. "It's been a while since I've seen one of those."

"Hmm?" Sasha hummed, glancing down to where I was pointing. She let out a little laugh. "Cassette tapes? Yeah, why have one when you can have an iPhone?" I laughed, nodding.

"Have you ever made a mixtape with one of these?" she asked curiously.

"No," I admitted, rubbing the back of my head. After a little pause, I asked hesitantly, "Can you somehow record your voice onto one?"

"Oh, definitely." Sasha shook her head energetically, picking up one of the cassettes and spinning it around her finger. "But you would need to have a cassette recorder and microphone in order to. But you're in luck," she winked. "We happen to have some in stock."

"I'll take them to go." I said, pulling out my wallet.

"No, no. This one's on me. I don't know but there's something about you that I like. Just promise me you'll stop by again." Sasha put my items into a bag, pushing it in my direction before I could argue.

"Are you sure?" I asked incredulously, taking the bag slowly.

"Positive. And if you ever go back to America, look up my brother there, alright? He's a bit of an old nut, but he's family." Sasha grinned, waving.

"Will do. And thank you." I replied sincerely. Sasha smiled and I returned it, before turning to leave.

"Lacey?" I heard Sasha call before I took s step out of the store.

"Mm?"

"Don't forget to speak clearly. Whoever you're recording the tape for must be special if you want to go through the trouble."

I nodded before replying with a smile, "He is."

And then I pushed through the doors and back into the London air.

It took roughly three minutes to get back to my hotel room and as soon as I unlocked the door and kicked off my boots, I went to the mattress and pulled out all my materials.

I followed the instructions on the booklet that came with the cassette recorder, sticking in the microphone jack. I looked around until I spotted the red record button, my finger hovering over the button.

I blew out a breath.

And then I began to record a tape.

--------

And now we've come to a full circle. If you don't know what I mean, go reread the prologue. c:

Alright, guys. This is it. My Little Decoy is officially over. It's been a rough two years, especially that six month hiatus from updating this story. Yet, somehow you all managed to stick with this story through thick and thin. I can't even begin to thank you guys for your support. I love you all so much. I'm actually in literal tears right now because this story is like my baby; it's the first story I posted on Wattpad and I've finally finished it. I still remember when I was excited because it had five reads. I will never forget it.

Looking back on this story, I realized that it wasn't just Lacey progressing and changing, but my writing style has evolved too. I was such a crappy writer back then holy shit.

But I'm straying off topic.

I just really want to say thank you all so much, and thank you for sticking with My Little Decoy. Tell me about how you feel? How do you feel about the ending - whether the last chapter or the epilogue? Who is your favorite character? Least favorite character? What did you think of Lacey's character development? What were some of your favorite moments/chapters?

Anyway, as you all know, the reason why I was rushing to finish this is because I'm entering it in the Wattpad Prize. I'm not hoping to win or anything, but it was such an experience to go through with putting my story in the contest. It actually motivated me to finish this story. I don't know how the Wattpad Prize works, but I'm so glad for all your support.

Before you all ask, there will be no sequel. Lacey and Blake's story has come to an end; their journey is over and they've been through so much. My Little Decoy is all grown up. But, I have a special announcement to make. Though they're won't be a sequel, I'm writing a new story called Reckless Serenade, which is another music story and is practically a spin-off of My Little Decoy. A few characters you know and love might make some cameo appearances. I actually wrote about twelve chapters of Reckless Serenade for NaNoWriMo. I don't know when I'll post it, because I promised myself I would finish Shutter and work on The Junk Drawer. But are you all excited for it? Let me know in the comments!

And finally, I have one last thing to talk about.

And it's about abuse.

This story is completely fictional, but I don't want people thinking that physical abuse is okay and not a problem in society. Sure, it makes its ways into stories like My Little Decoy and other stories on wattpad because everyone loves a character with a tragic backstory, but that doesn't make it right. We shouldn't romanticize the idea of abuse and always having someone there to save you. Because a lot of the times, you suffer alone, and I tried to make that point come across with Lacey's story. Abuse is terrible, and I hate it with a passion. It may not be a personal thing and I have never dealt with this, but I know someone who does deal with it. I love her so much, because she's my best friend and practically my sister, and I wish I could do something to help her, but right now I'm just trying to figure everything out. But if you know someone who is being abused, don't just sit back and watch. Help them. You could be saving their lives. Abuse is not something that should be glorified for the sake of a good literary story; it's a serious thing that needs to be stopped. I'm sorry for the gloomy ending, but you know I had to bring it up eventually.

But anyway, this is the last thing I'm going to say:

Comment. Vote. Promote. :')

Stay lovely,
Isabelle

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.1K 1.1K 29
Previously titled: "Blue Eyed Doll" ------------------------------- Draven Kjellberg belongs to one of the richest families in the world. He's had ev...
77.6K 1.2K 11
Being with Richie was one of the worst things I'd ever done. He was heartless and cruel; with a 'love' that ruined me entirely. "God knows what is hi...
7.7K 432 27
#93 in Young Adult #4 in janitor #51 in projectbadboys Shortlisted in The Global Awards 2018 Honourable Mention in 2018 Bell Awards Previously featu...
571 92 27
Sandra is just another depressed high schooler, her life a wreck. She is swamped with essays and projects, but on top of that her mom is always at wo...