Grounded On Juniper Island

By JohnAnraad

****Wattpad Featured NOV 2017*** WINNER in the Wolf Awards! Runner Up in Hidden Gem Awards! Third in Gem Awar... More

Oleg
The Sullen Boy
A Gift, Mysteries and a New Friend
Family
"Welcome to the Great Bound"
Luckless Lior
Bound For Glory
Mystery of the Night Forest
A Visit From the Tropical Knights
Rediscovery
The Threat
Ivory Beach
The Unlikely Hero
The Feast
Entering Junipo
Shining The Light
Tyranny
The Cave
Voices in the Head
From Sweet To Sour
Monkey Business
A Rocky Revelation
Long Awaited Plan
A Big Arrest and a Little Detest
Tales in the Dark
Gorillas Gone Mad
Unearthing Secrets
The Poor Prisoner
An Odd Descent
Dear Old Dom
Send Lorne!
The Gnarl Root
Defiance
A Tremble Too Far
The Power of the Voice
A Reluctant Release
Oh Sweet Memories
Aldous Kral
Jane Sagul
Hudson Raboar
Dom Pudatta
Leverage
No Time To Waver
The Nature of Supremacy
Jubilant Rose Gold
Deadly Concoctions
A Crushing Blow
Light In The Wake
The Cost of It All
Aftermath
Funeral For Friends
Replenished

The Choice

127 15 30
By JohnAnraad

A pale white complexion took over Tina's face as she gazed upon her captor. She felt physically sick from the ordeal and didn't know what she was looking at. The glare of the gem light obscuring her vision also made it difficult to identify who it was.

Lorne, who had somehow recovered from his rough landing as if it never happened, responded to the  horror by tightly holding her in his arms.

"Away Oaf," said Lorne to Erasmus, flashing his eyes at him as if he were a foul creature.

"You think I am an Oleg the Oaf? You are merely mistaken; I am Erasmus the Excellency. The kidnapper who brought you into this dismay." He held his chin high. His smugness made Lorne feel dirty. Erasmus pointed his finger behind Lorne and Tina, directing at Oleg. "There's the Oaf you are after."

The couple slowly stood up and turned  around to see who was behind them.

Sure enough, Lorne was surprised to find out that Erasmus was telling the truth. His focus wandered onto Oleg, then to the others, raising his eyebrows at all them. He was unsure what to make of the Urthkai. They obviously weren't Bounders but maybe they were working with Erasmus. It was too much for his brain to take. It hurt just thinking about it. He was compelled not to discuss it.

As for Tina, she immediately spotted Lior and ran over to him. They shared a friendly cuddle. Colour had been restored to her small cheeks. Lorne looked on in a daze, still stuck in his confused state. It was impossible to tell if he was jealous, as his mind was struggling to keep pace with what was happening.

"Lior what are you doing here? What is this place? And who are these ah... things," said Tina darting her eyes nervously at the Urthkais. Her inner thoughts came out like a mess. Oleg and the others tried not to give her eye contact, with stillness and resolution similar to a gargoyle.

"Ease up Tina; I'll tell you soon enough. You are safe with us," said Lior. Deep down inside he was as anxious as her, but if they were to survive, Erasmus's game had to be played.

"Yes, you are safe!" said Erasmus smirking at the shock Lorne and Tina were in. "Perhaps I need to recount what has been said."

"That would great," said Lorne quietly too himself. He stared into the darkness, unwilling to acknowledge the obscure scenes around him.

"Look into my eyes newlings, I will tell you truths that have been buried by your kind for years."

Lorne adjusted his attention to Erasmus. His eyes made him nervous; a feeling he was unfamiliar with. He was always able to muster courage, but it was as if Erasmus had stolen that from him.

Tina stood close to Lior, placing her hand on top of his. Lorne was facing away and didn't spot her small act of deceit. It was a situation Lior felt uncomfortable in. Nonetheless, he pretended it was fine. Tina needed strength and being awkward wouldn't be helpful to her.

Erasmus retold his story with the same crazed manner as he did before. It almost felt like they had stepped back in time with Tina and Lorne as their guests. As the revelations were told, Lorne slowly broke out of his frozen state. At first he was angry but quickly accepted what had been told. Realistically, he knew paradise was never as perfect as it seems.

Tina felt disgusted. It was hard to fathom why her ancestors would do such terrible things. She wondered why two groups couldn't live in harmony with one another. The goodness she saw in her society had crumbled into grains of sand. At first she was non-believer, but as Erasmus spoke Lior and Oleg reassured her he was telling the truth.

"But why involve us?" asked Tina, whimpering like an injured animal.

Erasmus revelled in her displeasure. The Bounders were slowly beginning to pay.

"You and the other Bounder were my little side project to keep me busy as Oleg searched for me. At first I wanted Oleg to get the blame; a means to drag him closer to me, but as time drew on I knew he would choose to join me without coercion."

Oleg was horrified with what he heard. Guilt, the never ending energy that had seemingly swirled around all of them, had fell completely upon him. His existence had caused enough trouble to others and it frightened him what else Erasmus had in store for them.

Jane, sensing his grief, kissed him on the cheek. Oleg smiled at her adoring face. It was the reminder he needed to tell him that he  wasn't the fault for everything.

"I thought that would make you feel better," said Jane rubbing his arm. Oleg felt like the luckiest man alive. He just hoped she felt as fortunate as he did. He swore to himself once they had overcome Erasmus he'd make it up to her. 

Lorne couldn't take it. He began to tremble. He flexed his muscles and gritted his teeth. A surge of anger pumped through him. His face had turned a bright red.

"You cruel, cruel thing. Tina and I were not some play toy you could have fun with. You're just a sick sorcerer who has abused his powers!" His throat felt coarse. The words came out of him in an act of desperation. Being unnerved was a new sensation to him.

"It's okay man," said Dom stepping forward holding his arm across Lorne. "In Urthkai society, Grewir will make him pay for his ill deeds. It's our way."

Erasmus did a backwards somersault mid air, letting out a raucous laugh. Hudson rushed towards Dom. He climbed onto his back, nestling his head into the space between his collar bone.

"Don't you see Urthkai." His eyes were crazed spinning, around in a circular motion. "I have made this all possible. I have lied to you. Grewir did not choose me. I enslaved the Goddess herself".

In his hands a brown bulb appeared. It was the size of his palm. A clumped root sprouted from its base. An image was engraved on to it, identical to the tree found on the cave walls around them.

"You are bluffing brother," said Dom confidently. He had rediscovered the fearlessness that had once made him a formidable warrior against his newfound friends.

"I feign not!" replied Erasmus yelling in a high pitch scream. It crippled the group to their knees, forcing their palms against their ears. "I trapped her the night after that Lemmy fellow destroyed the that famed Juniper Tree. Whilst the townsfolk of Junipo slept, I gathered her soil and made her into a tool for my bidding!" 

Dark blotches appeared over Erasmus's face. 

Blackness consumed his irises. 

The cave around them began to rock. The floor beneath rumbled, sending tremors through all  their entire bodies.

The stalactites above them flashed on and off.

Cracks began to zig zag across the boulder.

"You have till sundown to side with me Urthkais or else you will wiped out like the rest of those pitiful bounding fools!"

Erasmus clapped his hands.

In a blink of an eye, sunlight hit them, warming their skin. The sound of cicadas buzzed around them. The scent of fresh air made it easier to breath again.

Oleg stumbled onto his feet, racing towards what appeared to be an edge of a cliff. In hindsight, it wasn't best the idea, though at the time he didn't care. He needed to know where he was.

Dark green foliage stretched on for miles. It was a welcome relief and for a moment it allowed him to appreciate how beautiful the island was. A deep descent lay below him, however he was confident they could somehow get them down to the forest floor.

In the distance, Oleg spotted a towering gateway; an alien to the natural beauty around them. It was the entrance to Junipo.

"I believe we're on Tazai Peak, "said Lorne, who had startled Oleg. The others had joined him. 

Tazai Peak was the highest peak on Juniper Island. Only a rare few had ventured to it. The journey was famed as a getaway or even a perfect trip for an adrenaline junkie. "If we can get down from here safely we, should get to Junipo. It should take about three hours if we bound in tandem," continued Lorne.

"If that's the case we probably don't have much time," replied Oleg. He exhaled causing his cheeks to wobble. He hoped he was wrong but his initial instincts were right.

He  didn't have a shadow of a tree to measure the time, but a feeling in his gut, told him it was not on his side. The same applied to his parents, who unbeknownst to him, were also in grave danger. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 15K 44
Powerful deity Isla Develler is cursed and goes to the other side of the world for a solution, where she encounters more trouble than she imagined, a...
1K 406 143
No one ever knows the whole story... Nestled deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, something is emerging. Kept in absolute secrecy, it seeps...
554K 13.6K 53
Oil doesn't mix with water, we were taught that when the teacher was ranting about the basic laws of science. It doesn't combine just like how light...
38.7M 2M 172
Highest Rankings: #1 Vampire #1 Paranormal #1 Fantasy #1 Supernatural #1 Action #1 Dragon #5 Romance #5 Wattpad's AD App 100 MOST READ LIST! Her body...